Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DISAPPEARING TOES  (Read 17302 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE DISAPPEARING TOES
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2004, 11:56:43 AM »

I understand a driver has been arranged for to pick her up at the airport:

DRDTM, LOL! :-*
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2004, 12:08:08 PM »

Thank you all for your ascension wishes.  

DR DTM, I have to concur with my brother.  Though you have made me LOL several times today.  Perhaps one of those "doggie-downers" is called for?

Have I mentioned that the Limon troupe is opening here tonight?  They have been in residency for the past few weeks, and will be giving four performances (two each of two different programs) through Sunday.  Have I mentioned that the Artistic Director (at least I have been told it was she) decided to move the performances from our more formal, LARGER, Dance Theatre, to a smaller, less formal dance performance space?  Have I mentioned how much upheaval this change has caused?  Have I mentioned that this move (from a proscenium space to more of a thrust space) occured without anyone realizing that it was going to cut into their ticket revenue?  Perhaps if someone had asked me, they might have known.....

Bitter, party of one?

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2004, 12:36:09 PM »

Ha, ha, ha.  That Panni cartoon is funny!

I watched LOST.  So which part did you guys find so good?  It was definitely interesting but I"m not sure it had as many surprises as the past few weeks.  I must though I like how they are telling this story.  They introduce us to all the passengers, and then go into their individual stories one by one.

MBarnum

« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2004, 12:36:59 PM »

MBarnum mentioned Meridith Willson in The Name is the Same.

I'm assuming that's the composer of the Broadway show, The Music Man.  This sounds like a 1950s game show and Music Man opened in 1957.

Robert Reiniger Meredith Willson was born in Mason City, Iowa on 18 May 1902. Meredith Willson was educated at Damrosch Institute of Musical Art (now known as The Juilliard School).

Willson is known for his work on the popular radio programs: Carefree Carnival (1933-1936), Maxwell House Coffee Time (1940-19) and The Big Show (1950-1953). He wrote the theme song for Maxwell House Coffee Time - "You and I" which became a number one hit. He also wrote "May the Good Lord Bless You and Keep You" as the show closer for The Big Show.

Willson scored Chaplin's The Great Dictator and Hellman's The Little Foxes. He was a Major in the U.S. Army during World War II and was the Musical Director for the Armed Forces Radio Service.

Willson also wrote The Unsinkable Molly Brown, which opened on Broadway in 1960 and Here's Love (a musical adaptation of Miracle on 34th Street) opened on Broadway in 1963. Willson's song "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" written in 1951 and made famous by Perry Como was used in Here's Love.

The above was taken (in parts) from a Web site w/information about Mr. Willson.

Ben, I believe you are correct! He was introduced each episode as a composer...I think I just spelled his name wrong.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2004, 12:42:17 PM »

Jose, sorry about your keyboard problems.

Monday workmen are coming to tear out our bathroom.  I need to transfer everything from my closet and bathroom out of there and move it into our guest room ( after I clear out the closets in there).  I have tons of junk to move.   I doubt I will be posting much the next few days.  I shall try to lurk if nothing else.

I’m upset as it took three tries before I could get the fluids to drip properly into Bogie.  Poor little boy, I feel so bad I failed him.  I hope that never happens again.

Off to do a ton of errands-a much welcome distraction today.  And I know Bogie feels better for the fluids.  :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2004, 12:44:10 PM »

Dan (the Man)-LOL :D-

Stuart-welcome to the clouds!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 12:47:56 PM by Jane »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2004, 12:57:03 PM »

Yes DRMBARNUM - the Willson on THE NAME'S THE SAME would soon write THE MUSIC MAN.  I watch those shows now and then, if I don't have to get up too early the next day!

I like WHAT'S MY LINE a bit more - they are in the early 1950's right now.  

Congratulations to DRSTUART and welcome to HHW heaven!!!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2004, 01:02:21 PM »

My favorite magician when I was growing up was Mark Wilson - and his lovely assistant Nani Darnell!
They had a tv show called "The Land of Allakazam!"

Here is a link in case you remember the show:

http://www.markwilsonmagic.com/home.htm

Nowadays, there is a comedian called the Amazing Kobe who does a lot of magic and is very funny.

My favorite magic trick is the same one mentioned earlier - where two people trade places even though one is locked in a truck or a bag.....etc....

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2004, 01:28:39 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone all of a sudden?  Is this a new trick?  The Disappearing Hainsies/Kimlets?  Reappear at once.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2004, 01:40:45 PM »

I saw THE BOY FRIEND at the movies and I have the laserdisc, too. I think the conception is brilliant, adding the "hip" factor to the old fashioned nature of Sandy Wilson's original stage show. It's just a lot of fun to watch.

And I know she's a favorite of several here including bk, but I find Twiggy's singing and dancing a definite acquired taste, and I never acquired it. She's a passable dancer and singer to me, but I just find her too mediocre to get juiced about. I'm sure she's a delightful person; I know some other people who just adore her personally, but from the pure position of an audience member, I don't find her outstanding.

Still, as the understudy doing her (mediocre) best to keep the show going, she works fine in the movie. But for me, Glenda Jackson walks away with it in her little hip pocket in only a few minutes of screen time.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2004, 01:44:59 PM »

LOST's greatness: (1) the surprises about the Oriental couple and their back story (also something she had been keeping from us) None of the people we've met thus far is exactly who they appear to be. First impressions are SO misleading.

(2) The division of the tribe was a BIG surprise to me. Never dreamed you'd have two different camps, particularly seeing who went with each side.

(3) The confrontation between the O'Quinn and Monaghan characters and his subsequent reward by "looking up."

How much do you want in 40 minutes of show, Jennifer?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2004, 01:50:08 PM »

And I know she's a favorite of several here including bk, but I find Twiggy's singing and dancing a definite acquired taste, and I never acquired it. She's a passable dancer and singer to me, but I just find her too mediocre to get juiced about. I'm sure she's a delightful person; I know some other people who just adore her personally, but from the pure position of an audience member, I don't find her outstanding.

Boy, them's fightin' words!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2004, 02:11:10 PM »

Congratulations DR Stuart.

DR Emily.  What a shock! A major piece of magic would be to get any Australian to get passed the third line on our anthem.  "girt" is enough to want me to go no further. I doubt if 10% of Australians would be able to sing this anthem. It's till "new" to many of us and disliked.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2004, 02:21:35 PM »

Well, I didn't actually re-write William Brohn, I just took some pressure off the keyboards for the first 45 measures of "Wick", the strings weren't doing anything anyway!  Lots of doubling in the keyboard parts, also, I may go through and cut some of the doubling.  We open a week from tonight, hard to believe.  These kids have eaten up the material and things are looking really good.  I'm waiting for the magic to happen with sets and costumes, but I believe we're in good shape.  If it's done well, I'll be a puddle of tears at the end of the show, you won't be able to find me!!!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2004, 03:08:16 PM »

My favourite magic for the week - seeing DR Jed back with us.
Despite the efforts of commercial intersts, Halloween is still not an event worth mentioning in OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2004, 03:11:30 PM »

DR ELmore: I must check my "Twiggy" Bio to see if you have an honourable mention. She did mention a Mr Kimbel!!! I wonder- is she called Leslie rather than Twiggy in the recording studio.

Count me a fan - no great singer or dancer but that special something  that makes me want to listen and/or watch. Her own sort of Magic. I too look forward to the arrival of "The Boyfriend" on DVD.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 03:22:43 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2004, 03:12:49 PM »

Boy, them's fightin' words!
:D

While I wouldn't fight anyone about it, I agree with you, elmore3003.

Twiggy is essential to the charm that ooooooozes from every frame of this film.  She's practically perfect in every way for this role and her dancing is terrif!

I would argue against drugs being much of a factor in the splashy production numbers and sugges that Busby Berkley was the inspiration. Berkley  was certainly under the influence of something in his heyday!

I agree with DR MattH that Glenda Jackson's unbilled cameo practically stole the show.  She was BIG back then.  Really BIG.  Today, few people remember her.

I saw this film in a theater in Jacksonville FL.  It had already been cut, but it was fun, fun, fun.  I dragged some friends to see it.  Afterward they were quite livid with me.

Tough city, I always say, what do YOU always say?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2004, 03:21:21 PM »

I understand a driver has been arranged for to pick her up at the airport:

DTM, That's hilarious.

Tomovoz

« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2004, 03:25:45 PM »

DR DiT: Just heard that the original Bass singer from Toronto group "The Diamonds" died.
Loved the group when I was a kid - they were support group for a tour of the Mouskateers (sp!) here in about 1958.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2004, 03:30:52 PM »

DR ELmore: I must check my "Twiggy" Bio to see if you have an honourable mention. She did mention a Mr Kimbel!!! I wonder- is she called Leslie rather than Twiggy in the recording studio.

DRTomovoz, no, she doesn't mention me, and we even have the same birthday!  She's two years younger but born on Sept 19.  I do have a signed copy of the bio, and I really adore her.  I've heard Leigh her husband call her Leslie on occasion, but "Twigs" seems to be the primary title.

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2004, 03:32:52 PM »

Magic gone wrong. It seems that DR François has disappeared. Today IS a François day.

Thanks for reply re "Twigs" DR Elmore. Hope your qwerty is behaving.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 03:34:19 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2004, 03:37:52 PM »

Well, I had the nicest get well gift this evening.  Artie's Deli just delivered a mountain of food:  stuffed cabbage (yum!) with pilaf and a veggie mix of zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots, potato pancakes with applesauce and sour cream, matzoh ball soup with noodles, and rice pudding! Oh, and some yummilicious sour pickles.  

Artie's portions are quite generous, so I think I'll still be living off this feast tomorrow, DRJane and Keith.  Thank you so much.

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2004, 03:37:58 PM »

For those who need to know: Caroline O'Connor will be performing in a Judy Garland "bio/tribute" show here in Nov/Dec 2005. "End Of The Rainbow". - an exploration of Garland's final day;  by Peter Quilter.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2004, 03:39:02 PM »

Thanks for reply re "Twigs" DR Elmore. Hope your qwerty is behaving.

Only after a cold bath, DRTomovoz! :-*

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2004, 03:50:10 PM »

My friend Charlie just sent me a funny joke.  It seems that George Bush has been quite worried about becoming a better president, and three nights ago, Thomas Jefferson appeared to him in his dreams.

"President Jefferson," he asked, "what can I do to be a better president?"

"Observe the Constitution, George, observe the Constitution," was Jefferson's response.

The next night he dreamed that Franklin Roosevelt came to him.

"President Franklin," he asked, "what can I do to be a better president?"

"Listen to the people, George, listen to the people," was FDR's response.

Last night, Abraham Lincoln appeared in his dreams.

"President Lincoln," he asked, "what can I do to be a better president?"

Lincoln thought for a bit and said, "well, you could go to the theatre . . ."

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2004, 03:55:55 PM »

Quite made my day Elmore.
Can you email the joke - I am too dumb to be able to copy it!!
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2004, 04:05:31 PM »

Yes, it was always Twiggs.  She gave me a copy of her book, wonderfully inscribed, and apologized for the mis-spelling of my name.  She actually caught that and other errors and the publisher, rather stupidly, didn't fix it before publication.

Tomovoz

« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2004, 04:28:55 PM »

Good to see you Scrooge!
James Thurber 1957

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2004, 04:31:03 PM »

Dear HHWers,

Greetings! I am in a bit of a tizzy with a project in my Drama II class that has come around the corner faster than I'd like it to. A group I'm a part of is reading the play
"The Importance of Being Earnest", and we're making a display for Arena Stage Theatre to put up in their lobby when the show begins to play. I've been assigned the task of figuring out whether Oscar Wilde and this show have had a significant impact on the theatre world today, and how. Unfortunatley, I really don't know, and I'm hoping that you are all much more familiar with his work than I am. So the actual question:

Did Oscar Wilde have a significant impact on society today? Was it at all due to the show "The Importance of Being Earnest? Explain, s'il vous plait.

Don't fail me now, my fellow DR's, I know I've been more errant and truant than all of us combined, but I'm really in a pickle with this one...help? :(:)
...Walk in the sunshine...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2004, 04:32:26 PM »

Dear reader Panni called and said she wasn't able to post before leaving for the airport - she's on her way to Hungary.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up