Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: TERMS OF ENDEARMENT  (Read 33357 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
« Reply #300 on: January 08, 2004, 06:59:45 PM »

Of course, that's not Joan Crawford with Michael Jackson. That's Faye Dunaway in MOMMIE DEAREST made up to resemble Joan Crawford.
Either that, or the two photos are of Faye before and after the face lift.  Or is it Michael in the before and after?  This gets so confusing!!!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #301 on: January 08, 2004, 07:00:30 PM »

Hey, neato!  I got to start page 11!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #302 on: January 08, 2004, 07:01:18 PM »

And now for something completely different :o:  This is one of the funniest practical jokes that I've ever heard of!  It was in yesterday's Olympian, which is our local paper, and the on-line article does have pictures.  Click here to read it:  Friends Foil Olympia Man's Home (and they mean it literally!)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #303 on: January 08, 2004, 07:39:31 PM »

DR Jane: In the "Everyday" chocolates category, Cadbury would rule in Oz. Lindt is very popular as are Begian chocolates. We do have our own specialst companies such as Newmans who do prduce excellent confections.
Whitman Samplers attempted to break into the Oz market a few Christmases ago. The box was attractive but people did not go back for more! too sickly sweet and not smooth enough.

Cadbury isn't as good here.  My all time favorite chocolate is Lindt milk chocolate.  When we went to Canada this summer I was able to buy an extra large, extra fat bar in the duty free shop.  Whitman's on the other hand is terrible.  I am always surprised when I see it in our store, which doesn't happen much anymore.

Jennifer

« Reply #304 on: January 08, 2004, 07:41:00 PM »

Hey Emily: are you frozen in your basement yet? :)

Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #305 on: January 08, 2004, 07:42:24 PM »

Speaking of big chocolate bars, has anyone seen the huge 15lb (must be at least Toblerones they sell. They look so good!

td

• td
« Reply #306 on: January 08, 2004, 07:52:54 PM »

Sad to hear about Ms. Thulin's demise, but dvd watchers will be able to see her soon in the controversial film, THE DAMNED, which is on its way from MGM.
I also remember THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE, though the music stirred me more than the story.
She was also unforgettable in a couple of Swedish flicks, HOUR OF THE WOLF and CRIES AND WHISPERS.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Andrea

« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2004, 08:01:11 PM »

Speaking of big chocolate bars, has anyone seen the huge 15lb (must be at least Toblerones they sell. They look so good!

Oh, they are....

Loved the foil story george!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2004, 08:28:50 PM »

Lemme ask you:  why the heck should I be out pounding the pavement looking for a job?  Slogging through a day's posts is a full-time job in itself!

Going waaaay back to an early post today from Dear Reader Jose:  Dear Reader Jose, I have seen your hair, and I cannot imagine at all how it could take more than an hour for someone to cut it.  Do they do it one hair at a time?

More hair advice:  Dear Reader Emily, if you don't go for the MBarnum buzz cut, have you considered a mullet?   :o

My favorite term of endearment:  "cupcake."  I call people "doll" and "darlin'" all the time.  Haven't been slapped yet.  (That is, for calling people "doll" and "darlin'.")
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2004, 08:34:27 PM »

Everybody went on a break?  Well, we'll wait for our late-night denizens to show up.  CHICKEN was so yummy I did a triple chow mein.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #310 on: January 08, 2004, 08:42:55 PM »

A question for Dear Readers, even though it is not Wednesday and Ask Dear Reader Day:  I have an opportunity to see a one-night-only performance of I'm Getting My Act Together And Taking It On The Road, starring Sharon Lawrence.  I am unfamiliar with the play as well as the artist.  Is this something I want/need to see?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #311 on: January 08, 2004, 08:49:08 PM »

I've not seen a production of the show Jay but any score with "Dear Tom" is OK by me. Its get me on a "Natural High".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Kerry

« Reply #312 on: January 08, 2004, 09:07:23 PM »

I need to catch up on the last two days' worth of posts and notes.  But for now, let me just say Good night and sweet dreams to you all!
I like boat races.

td

• td
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2004, 09:09:45 PM »

A question for Dear Readers, even though it is not Wednesday and Ask Dear Reader Day:  I have an opportunity to see a one-night-only performance of I'm Getting My Act Together And Taking It On The Road, starring Sharon Lawrence.  I am unfamiliar with the play as well as the artist.  Is this something I want/need to see?

If you've never heard this score, then I would say emphatically, "YES!"
"Old Friend" will hook you. . .

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2004, 09:17:24 PM »

Good evening, DR's. I have been tres BUSY all day, and haven't been here long enough to get through posts until now. School, work, homework, cleaning, etc.

And I am officially addicted to WICKED. "Defying Gravity" is amazing, the ending is...perfect. The first (and second, and third, and fourth...) time I heard it, I got all spacey and when I "woke up" I had tears in my eyes. I love that. While it isn't perfect as a whole, the message behind the words is beautiful.

I didn't get to go to Laura's get-together, although I wanted to VERY much, but school has to come first this week. I'm sure it's still going on, that's why she hasn't posted. Those college kids and their wild parties...;).

The few terms of endearment that I cannot stand are "Dollface", "Baby", and "Honey". I love "Darlin'", "Babe", and "Cupcake". I also have a friend who calls me "Sunshine", which is a nice. My mornign is a little brighter when I hear him yell "Hey, sunshine!" down the hall. My dad calls me "Sweetie", which I hadn't ever really thought about until today. Every night he says "Goodnight, sweetie, love you."...I should start appreciating these things.

I'm 16. I do not COOK. I merely thank my mom for making whatever she makes and then I enjoy it. Therefore I have no chicken recipes besides "Open Schwanns Grilled Chicken Bag...Take one piece out...Put chicken on plate, and microwave on High for 1 minute. Enjoy."

Emily, I think you should go straight, slightly choppy in length, with sideswept bangs in the front. It would frame your face, making it look more elongated. And with the choppy straightness, you have a few options, like flipped in, flipped out, clipped up in various ways, etc. If you actually STRAIGHTEN it, it would probably be better in the long run, but you can also just buy a flatiron and use that. MATRIX makes some great Straightening Products (shampoo, conditioner, gel) that work with your hair tools. I love em!

Time to sleep, hopefully I'll post a little more tomorrow!

Love,

Sarah, Official HHW Hair Consultant.
...Walk in the sunshine...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #315 on: January 08, 2004, 09:22:31 PM »

DR Emily: The best thing for a woman to do when it comes to changing how they wear their hair is to sit down with their stylist, with several magazines in hand, and discuss what you both see.  First round of eliminations: What do you like?  Second round of eliminations: Are the styles that make it through the first round things that your stylist is comfortable doing?  (This can make a big difference!  It will also let you know how honest a stylist you have.)  Third round: What styles do the two of you agree would make you look good?  

This is time consuming, but worth the effort.  

As for Jay's question about Jose's haircut taking so long: well, heck yeah!  I've been wearing mine in a flattop for years, not too dissimilar to MBarnum's (from the hairline up).  Easy cut, right?  Wrong.  Roger, the fellow who did the cutting back in Long Beach for the last seven or eight years, would take a half hour, getting it exactly right, level and even.  And I knew that, even after a month and several washings, it would still look good.  And nothing can get a fellow to looking seedy faster than a buzz cut gone wrong.  (It has taken DR TCB years to get that look down pat, I'm sure, but I could match him in two months if I let myself go.   ;D)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #316 on: January 08, 2004, 09:26:20 PM »

Terms of endearment I don't like: "Dear"... "Honey"... "Sweetie"...

Do like... This is mortifying, but under the right circumstances, I like "baby"... C'mon, it can be very sexy.
"Love"...with a British accent only.
"Anna Banana" said fondly, as opposed to the kids yelling it out in the schoolyard.
My stepfather used to call me "Csuri"...which is "pee" in Hungarian. I don't know why, so don't ask me. But it was kinda sweet. As in Sweet Pea (only it was Pee). I was young, so gimme a break.

Should I make an appointment with a therapist now?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #317 on: January 08, 2004, 09:26:51 PM »

DR Jay - It would have taken me an hour to drive to the barber, get my hair cut (about 10 minutes), and then drive back home.  It's a good 20-25 minutes from my parents' house, but worth the drive.  And, heck, it's only a $10.00 cut!

However, I used to go to a ritzy salon in DC years ago - Mrs. Bush (the first one) used to get her hair cut there - as well as other First Ladies.  Nice set up.

Well, James would cut my hair there.  And he would do it all with scissors - no guides, no clippers.  All by hand.  It would take about an hour or so - well, James would take an hour of so.  Sometimes his boss would walk by sometimes and ask him why he just wasn't using clippers.  James would always respond, "This is art! not gardening!"  :)  And to this day, I have yet to pay as  much for a haircut as I did back then... I think I would pay about $50.00 - which included the tip.  But it was so worth it - and the service was impeccable - cappucinos and Haagen-Dazz bars were included!

And, I'd also go see the show - Interesting score, some nice numbers, and Sharon Lawrence is all right too.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #318 on: January 08, 2004, 09:26:56 PM »

When it comes to ToE, I've always called der Brucer "Tugger."  Well, not always, because I do know his real name, but it's what I call him.  It's a T. S. Eliot reference.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #319 on: January 08, 2004, 09:29:34 PM »

DR SWW - My haircut is truly a buzz cut lately - a 2 on the sides, 4 on the top, taper the corners.  So, it's a quick cut.  However, I used to get a flat-top, and, like you said, that can take some time - always a few "sleepers" popping up here and there.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #320 on: January 08, 2004, 09:30:51 PM »

I forgot to comment on Ingrid Thulin. I liked her so much. CRIES AND WHISPERS was a real earth shaker for me.

In the next life I'd like to be a tall blonde Swedish actress with a husky voice and sad eyes. ...Who can tap dance like crazy. Well, you have to do something fun on those LONG cold nights.

Jason

« Reply #321 on: January 08, 2004, 09:37:24 PM »

Back from the final performance of BARBER OF SEVILLE for this season. It sounded great, but I really didn't want to be there...my co-workers were OUTRAGEOUSLY bitter and hateful tonight and I wanted no part of it. I didn't have the patience for it. Anyway, I'm home now, so...

Re. chocolate: We have Lindt chocolate all over the place here in NYC and Cadbury is pretty accessible, too. My favorite chocolate bar, though, is the Galaxy bar, which I've only been able to find in England. It's WONDERFUL! Just plain ole' milk chocolate that sticks to the roof of your mouth. YUM.

I had chicken for "lunch" and for "dinner." So much chicken...and now I'm hungry again.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #322 on: January 08, 2004, 09:38:27 PM »

Hey, I'm not sure if anyone has commented on the Tony nominating committee decisions today...

The one I'm most "concerned" about is the Leading Actress in a Musical Category.  Both ladies from Wicked will be put in that category, Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel.  Hmm... I wonder if they will cancel each other out, leaving Donna Murphy to walk away with number Three!  -Of course, I've been hearing from a lot of people that if Caroline, or Change actually moves to Broadway, that Tonya Pinkins will win her second Tony.

Oh, and after next week, I'll be able to judge for myself!  :D
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #323 on: January 08, 2004, 09:39:08 PM »

Re Terms of E: Add "sweetheart" when spoken by a lover, not a salesperson.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #324 on: January 08, 2004, 09:43:25 PM »

Ohh.. DR Jason - I believe the chocolate shop near me in Richmond has Galaxy bars... Hmmm.. If so, maybe I'll bring a few up with me next week.

The Australian Cadbury is different from the American Cadbury - and the English Cadbury as well.  Just goes to show you how the environment can affect the ingredients - even if the ingredients and proportions are the same.  While in OZ, I also enjoyed Darrel Lea, Chocolate Box, and some of the various "boutique makers" at one of the department stores - that was quite the candy counter!  The organic Tasmanian chocolate was incredible!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #325 on: January 08, 2004, 09:45:26 PM »

As promised...

IT'S BACK, BLACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!!

Jason

« Reply #326 on: January 08, 2004, 09:48:32 PM »

(I promise, this will be the last picture I post today...and it's only number two!)

Here's the programme for BUGSY MALONE in London. I saw the show for my seventh or eighth birthday...I can't remember. Anyway, Ms. Catherine Zeta Jones played Tallulah and she looks exactly the same in her 14-year old headshot than she does now at age 30-something.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #327 on: January 08, 2004, 09:49:36 PM »

Time for our late-night denizens to go on a mad posting frenzy.  If we do, I promise you a lutz, a sal cow and an axel rose.

td

• td
« Reply #328 on: January 08, 2004, 09:57:08 PM »

Time for our late-night denizens to go on a mad posting frenzy.  If we do, I promise you a lutz, a sal cow and an axel rose.

Let's post here! Let's post at thedvdplace! let's be like the beatles and post here, there and everywhere!

Evil Twin

« Reply #329 on: January 08, 2004, 09:58:10 PM »

No wonder I can't sleep.  My twin is up and posting!  Hello all.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up