Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GLORIOUSLY GLORIOUS VERY LONG WEEKEND  (Read 22447 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE GLORIOUSLY GLORIOUS VERY LONG WEEKEND
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2004, 10:42:33 AM »

Which reminds me...SWW and DerBrucer did you guys watch ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE yet? And if so what did you think of it (If I remember correct you two just bought the DVD...or am I thinking of someone else?)

I just bought it.  Are you thinking of me, p'raps?  

I'm a bit elated today; I've successfully farmed out four numbers of this albatross I'm dragging about!  I've got to be finished this next weekend, and I'm still waiting for an overture, and accompaniment for one number.  Because of this pressure, I'm watching nothing, and I have no idea what will end up as background music yet.

I heard from DR Danise this morning.  She called from the airport, and I get the impression the whole trip went rather well.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2004, 10:42:35 AM »

DRs Ann, Jennifer and anyone else who may care: Most theatre management won't care if you move to "better" seats once intermission has started, but if you're ever at the Met, don't even think about it. I can't tell you how many people have been kicked out of the opera house for seat-hopping. It's usually standing room people who see an empty seat and go sit in it, but it's sometimes regular patrons who see empty seats in front of them and move down. A big no-no. Of course, this is also the theatre that won't allow you to enter the opera house once the doors are shut. If you're late, you sit in a rehearsal hall and watch the entire act on a closed-circuit TV monitor. Once it's intermission you're allowed to go in. That really, REALLY sucks when you're dealing with shows that have two hour acts...or worse...shows that have no intermission at all!

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2004, 10:43:01 AM »

DR Ann, when you said "theater" i thought you meant plays not movies.  

I don't think there is anything wrong with sneaking in chocolate bars or snacks.  I don't think the movie theatres here allow it.  But if you put it in your bag, I've never had a problem.

As for bring fried chicken or chinese food, well they sell such smelly foods anyways, that nobody would probably care.  But it sure is funny to read the stories here.  I'm loving it! :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2004, 10:43:16 AM »

Hmmm, I think I could have worded that last sentence a bit better.  I must get some work done & return later.

Jennifer

« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2004, 10:46:04 AM »

They kick people out for seat hopping?

Are you serious?

Do they announce this in advance?  Otherwise I could see people being VERY annoyed.  I would throw a fit to management if someone tried to kick me out.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2004, 10:48:23 AM »

I realize that today is not free-for-all day here at HHW, but I have already answered the TOD and I am curious, dear readers.  Has anyone here ever actually had a really memorable Memorial Day weekend?  Now I realize the significance of the holiday, and I don’t mean to be flip, but this weekend had become widely thought of as the first big three day weekend of summer.  Now, for the life of me, I can not remember one single Memorial Day weekend that stands out as having been exciting, unusual, or even good old-fashioned fun.  Come to think of it, I can’t even remember any Memorial Day weekend.  Isn’t that sad?  The first big three-day weekend of every summer and not a single one stands out in my mind.

That is rather pathetic!  

Anyone???

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jason

« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2004, 10:54:24 AM »

It's management that does the tossing, Jennifer. Our house management is very strict. If patrons complain that someone is seat-hopping, our house managers have no issue with throwing said offender(s) out on their rumps. Like I said, these are also the people who won't allow anyone into the theatre once the doors have been shut (which happens when the house lights go out--before the conductor has even taken his stand).

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2004, 11:18:31 AM »

I was just listening to the soundtrack (on internet radio station Raaga.com) from the Bollywood film WAISA BHI HOTA HAI. One of the songs was called JISM. An odd name to be sure...and yes jism means the same thing in Hindi that it does in English! Of course the lyrics were in Hindi so I have no clue what precisely the girl is singing about.

Actually there is a Bollywood movie called JISM....I have not seen it yet. I am afraid of it, in fact! LOL!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2004, 11:21:13 AM »

"Good Friends" cereal requires a greater level of commitment than "Just Friends" does.

I hate going to movies, in part, due to the prices.

And "The Day After Tomorrow" is an insufferable song from Kiss of the Spiderwoman.
I have a story about it, but no time to tell it
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2004, 11:21:33 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR READER ARNOLD M. BROCKMAN WHO HAS BEEN WITH US FOR QUITE SOME TIME!!!

You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jed

« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2004, 11:22:29 AM »

Well... I did get some sleep... At least a good four hour's worth...
Four hours more than I did!  I never really did become tired last night, so I stayed up packing.  The result was that I got way ahead of schedule, and brought the first load of stuff down here this morning instead of later tonight.  Being down here today allowed me to get my local dial-up all set up, so I shall not be sans-internet all weekend as I'd thought I would be.  Will make two trips with my dad's pickup tomorrow for the furniture, and then I'll finish cleaning on Sunday and grab the small amount of stuff that will still be there then.  Now to find a fershluganah job so I can do all this again!

DVD Player:  Northern Exposure First Season set...
They are absolutely, fantastagorically gorgeous!  When NE originally aired, I still had a twenty year old 19" Goldstar color TV, so I never fully appreciated the beautiful cinematography this show employed.  And the color!  The color is so amazingly vivid that it pops from the screen and yet it never looks artificial.
And all that lovely scenery is just 25 miles from my home!

Has anyone here ever actually had a really memorable Memorial Day weekend?  Now, for the life of me, I can not remember one single Memorial Day weekend that stands out as having been exciting, unusual, or even good old-fashioned fun.
I actually remember two Memorial Day weekends, but both for the same reason.  The former percussion professor at the university would always take his percussion studio rafting on Memorial Day.  Over the years, they started to include his wife's voice studio.  Since I was one of his wife's students, I was invited to join in the festivities, which I did twice (1999 and 2001, I believe).  Such fun was had on those days!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2004, 11:29:46 AM »

"...snacks are less than  half the cost of the same food in a theatre."

Which is exactly why I'm taking my own snacks. I know you're not supposed to do that, but let's be honest here...I've been in movie theatres in New York where the person next to me has had a full fried chicken meal complete with cheesecake for dessert! When I saw VAN HELSING, I went around dinner time and I was starving, so I got their hot dog/nachos/soda "value" meal. With tax it came to $9.50... Granted, I asked for extra cheese for the nachos and that was an extra $1.25, so that was my fault, but please! $10 for what are essentially snacks? A hot dog and stale nachos do not a meal make! It's ridiculous, but I really can't bitch and moan all that much...it's my choice whether I should buy these things or not, and I usually choose to spend the money, so...that's the end of my rant.

One time I went to the movies about eight or nine years ago and while watching it, someone set down their empty glass bottle on the concrete floor.  Of course, the snack bar did not sell ANY kind of product in glass bottles.  A few minutes later, the person accidentally (one hopes) kicked it and it rolled down a few aisles, hit a seat in my aisle and broke!  After the movie, as I walked by, I saw that it was a beer bottle!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 11:30:57 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2004, 11:32:50 AM »

I actually remember two Memorial Day weekends, but both for the same reason.  The former percussion professor at the university would always take his percussion studio rafting on Memorial Day.  Over the years, they started to include his wife's voice studio.  Since I was one of his wife's students, I was invited to join in the festivities, which I did twice (1999 and 2001, I believe).  Such fun was had on those days!

Jed, where did you go rafting?
“One thing’s universal,

Jason

« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2004, 11:34:59 AM »

I was seeing TAKING LIVES at the Loews just across the street from where I'm going this afternoon, and I thought I smelled smoke. I looked over, and in the beam of the projector I could see that there was indeed smoke rising up. One of the female patrons of ethnic descent was smoking a cigarette! Another patron got a manager right away and when he came in to throw her out she stood up and started pointing to the white woman behind her, yelling "I'm gonna punch you in yo' face, you ugly white bitch" and "You cain't throw me out. Do you see me smokin' a G-D cigarette?!?!" It was quite the ordeal, but they finally made her leave. Only in New York.

MBarnum

« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2004, 11:39:05 AM »

I remember when you could smoke in a theater!

And you know what surprised me so about being in Washington last week...going into diners and being asked if we wanted smoking or non-smoking! I don't believe that any eating establishments (other then lounges) in Oregon have smoking sections any longer.

MBarnum

« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2004, 11:41:05 AM »

in 20 minutes my 3 day weekend begins! Man this has been one sloooooooooooooooooooooow day!

TCB would you kindly PM me your mailing address. I have a secret surprise to mail to you!

Jane

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2004, 11:47:08 AM »

I can’t remember s specific special Memorial Day, but I’m sure there were picnics and, if it was warm, pool parties or trips to the beach.  Aside from that, nothing special.  Except that we won’t have mail or a newspaper Monday I would probably forget about it.  

Jason

« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2004, 11:50:17 AM »

MBarnum: JISM sounds quite..um..interesting? I dunno. I can only imagine the wet sari numbers in THAT one!

Another movie story: I was seeing THE EXORCIST when it was re-released a few years back. We went to the AMC at the local mall in Oklahoma City and the place was PACKED. We sat down behind a couple of guys and about twenty minutes into the movie, one of them got a phone call. He proceeded to carry on a conversation with his mother for TEN MINUTES! I disctinctly remember hearing him say, "I'm seeing THE EXORCIST right now...can't you hear it?" In the meantime, his buddy to his left reached around the back of his chair and began to light the ends of his buddy to his right's cornrows with a cigarette lighter. I'm not kidding. There was a woman on the other side of the auditorium with a two year old baby who cried through the whole thing. When security came to throw her out, she left yelling curses that would make a sailor blush. Some of the patrons in the back of the "house" applauded when she left, and before you knew it, she ran back in--toting the baby--throwing punches in the air screaming "I'm gonna kick your ass, you honkey sons-of-bitches!" She was ready to take on that whole movie theater. Needless to say, we didn't enjoy the movie half as much as we did the goings-on around us.

And I get out of here in 10 minutes! YAY!

MBarnum

« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2004, 11:54:36 AM »

I am happy to say that I have never had any bad movie going experiences. Audiences in Salem are fairly well behaved.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2004, 11:56:36 AM »

TCB - I have no memorable Memorial Day memories. As I said earlier, I could easily live without long weekends altogether. I've never liked them. Mind you, I understand that they're wonderful for people with "real" jobs - unlike mine - which require being in a certain place at a certain time and not leaving until another certain time. I suppose if I did that I might like long weekends, but probably not. I disliked them even as a kid.

MBarnum

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2004, 11:58:09 AM »

I live for long weekends (although I dislike the fact that no mail is delivered on the holiday)

Jane

« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2004, 11:59:58 AM »

I think I shouldn't complain so much about my movie experiences, just the usual rude people but, so far, none have been dangerous.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2004, 12:07:07 PM »

LOL SWW....nope must be another woody.

I don't go to the movies very much, but I try to avoid trouble.   And I have been the plays and musicals where the ushers told us we could move down if there were better seats empty!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2004, 12:09:02 PM »

Great pictures from Juliana!  Yes, MR BK is indeed doing a great Saturday Night Fever pose!

dlevy

• What is it, fish?
    • It's dlevy!
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2004, 12:10:28 PM »

Thanks for the answer, BK!  And by the way (that's BTW to those of you more in the know that I), I just got high speed internet at work, and as of August I'll have it at home, so you're likely to see more of me around these parts come fall.  Hold your applause.

Also BTW (that's by the way to those of you, like me, less in the know), Borders is once again running their 4 for the price of 3 DVD sale.  Dangerous news.  I picked up Producers (special edition, which seems to be less numerous these days), Sweet Charity, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Tommy, all of which I had meant to buy a long time ago.

dlevy

Jennifer

« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2004, 12:21:49 PM »

DR MBarnum, unfortunately here most restaurants still have smoking sections.  I don't mind it so much in places where it is a completely separate section.  But I was not amused a few weeks ago when I became ill because the smoking section was right above us (with no partition).

Jennifer

« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2004, 12:25:56 PM »

DR Jason, I know you were saying that it was management that was kicking people out at the Met.  But what I don't understand is why.  If someone is standing, and there is an empty seat open in front of them, why shouldn't they sit down?  My point was that if they don't advertise their strict policy I would complain to no end if they kicked me out.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2004, 12:31:03 PM »

IN HONOR OF THE HOLIDAY

Well, think of it as a Memorial Bush!
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2004, 12:51:36 PM »

I meant to give my opinion about Kill Bill Volume One.  It wasn't really my cup of tea (as I expected).  But I will say this.  The last spoken line, was a great one.  And even though I wasn't too interested in the characters up until that point (too much narration for me), the last line made me sort of want to see Volume Two.

As others have said, the violence was pretty artificial (I mean it is quite funny when an arm gets chopped off and the bright red paint blood starts pouring out).

I was happy they used knives/swords instead of knives.  But a movie that is solely based on revenge isn't really for me.  Some of the martial arts stunts were spectacular.  But not enough story and too much violence for my taste.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2004, 12:53:12 PM »

And Happy Birthday to Carroll Baker who is 73 today!  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up