Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DIRE IRE  (Read 19279 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DIRE IRE
« on: June 22, 2005, 11:59:51 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, I hope it did not transpire that the notes caused you ire, dire or otherwise, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - for some reason they got off the plane in Sacramento and haven't been hear from since.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 12:02:38 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:DIRE IRE
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 12:05:28 AM »

And the word of the day is: MALAPERT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 12:06:21 AM »

I'm doing the Lambada (The Forbidden Dance) - I tried to do it at The Arlington Club, but they would not allow it.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 12:09:57 AM »

I'm doing the Turkey Trot.  

Cookies:  Pecan Sandies.  I'm might fond of the simple 'nilla wafer too.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 12:19:29 AM »

Cookies are called biscuits in OZ.
Favourite - chocolate coated Teddy Bear Biscuits. (DR Jose may have tried those).

Home made biscuits: Anzacs (which are made with rolled oats) and Gingernuts (Made with Golden Syrup and Powdered ginger).  Would the recipes translate?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 04:01:01 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have bothing new to report so I'll cut to the TOD:
peanut butter, oatmeal raisin
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 04:32:42 AM »

Chocoalte chip cookier have always been my favorite.
2nd Place is oreo and in a pig out mood chocolate covered oreos.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 04:35:04 AM »

DR. Jane said yesterday

Also in the news today, not so good for me but appropriate for our TOD, is an article on Oregon hazelnut growers.  They want hazelnuts to become a staple.  

I think they would make a better paper clip
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 04:47:56 AM »

Homemade cookies are always the best, but I'm afraid I don't often take the time to bake them.

As for store bought cooklies, as a kid, I really loved Sunshine Hydrox (the Oreo copycat cookies which I always found a bit sweeter).

I think Nutter Butters are now to die for, but once I've had one, I can't stop, so I try not to eat them. I do have SOME self-control with Chips Ahoy Chewy Chocolate Chips. And their chewy double chocolate cookies with chips are also very good.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 04:48:50 AM »

I'm up extra early this morning to take care of a few chores before going off car buying. I'll snap a picture and post it here if I come home with a new car today.

Matt H.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 04:51:34 AM »

I remember HOUSE CALLS from seeing it the one time at the movie theater. I was just so delighted seeing Glenda Jackson doing a comedy again that I think I liked it more than it deserved. If I remember correctly, as a reviewer, I gave it 2 1/2 stars (my newspaper syndicate made me do 0-4 star ratings on movies).

I know the TV series with Lynn Redgrave ran a season or two, but I was never a fan of it.

Matt H.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 04:52:59 AM »

And I'll be able to finish ADVISE AND CONSENT at some point today as well. I didn't see much of interest to me on TV tonight (apart from a CSI rerun in hi def), so I'll be DVDing it a good bit today once I get back home.

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 05:35:41 AM »

For packaged cookies,I'm partial to Mother's Iced Circus animals (th origianl colors of pink and white-- not the new colors).  I also love Mother's Iced Raisin Cookies (although they're now hard to find).    I also like those butter cookies with jam in the middle.  

For bakery cookies, I like Oatmeal Raisin or White Chocolate Chip.

For home-baked cookies-- just about anything. Although I like the frosted butter cookies we decorate at Christmas (and other excuses like the dogs' birthdays) just about best of all.

Welcome home Bruce.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 06:11:06 AM »

Oreos
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 06:33:45 AM »

As I mentioned yesterday when we were talking about the other kind of cookies,

Fresh, warm, chewy oatmeal raisin cookies and crisp ginger snaps. Both with a cold glass of milk. I also will never turn down a chocolate chip cookie.

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 06:44:49 AM »

Favorite cookie as a kid...chocolate chip! Also, those chocolate no-bake cookies...I don't know if they have any other name.

As an adult: Peanut Butter cookies, oatmeal cookies, and still those chocolate no-bake cookies.

Favorite store bought...hmmm...probably Oreos.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 06:53:43 AM »

I too had a strong preference for Hydrox as a kid, and still do, but they are much harder to find.  Chocolate chip remains a favorite cookie, in all permutations (home made, "mall" versions such as Mrs. Fields, or packaged).

I also fondly recall Burry's Fudgetown, and their Gauchos (?), which were peanut butter sandwich cookies.  I still like Nutter Butters, but I think I liked Gauchos better.

I am a big fan of ELFudge cookies, and even like some of the "new" varieties of them, when I buy cookies lately, which is close to never.  (It's a weight/cholesterol thing.)

There was a period (late High School years, as I recall), when I would eat nothing but Peak Freens.  The dark chocolate biscuits, which were truly scrumptious (an Erin Dilly reference).

And Mallomars!  How could I forget Mallomars????

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 07:34:41 AM »

It’s not rain, but today’s humidity is 85 per cent! The 85 per cent humidity, I think, must be the highest (worst?) discomfort index for human beings and I feel the air so heavy.  And dark gray clouds in the gray sky look very tired of maintaining their shapes, since they have the rain which is about to fall down.  :-\

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 07:41:17 AM »

Good Morning!

-Hey!  I think I could get used to this getting to bed before 1:00am and getting up by 9:00am routine...

;)

In any case...

Cookies, Cookies, Cookies!

Like many DRs have mentioned, Chocolate Chip Cookies are a favorite of mine.  They can be store bought or homemade, crispy or cakey.  *The latest double-chip varieties from Chips Ahoy! are pretty good - I usually nuke them for a few seconds to warm the chocolate up.

When I was in Australia, I did indeed try those Chocolate Covered Teddy Bear Biscuits/Cookies, as well as Anzacs and Gingernuts.  All very good.  I had always read about and seen recipes for Anzac Biscuits in various cookbooks - aren't they in "The Joy of Cooking", but never made them or tried them until I was in the land of the Anzac - well, one of the lands...

-I'm trying to remember now - without Googling - Anzac stood for:
A-Australia, NZ-New Zealand, AC - ?? (Auckland - ??)

In any case, I enjoyed them.  A very hearty biscuit to say the least, and one with - and requiring - quite a bite.

In general any cookie with chocolate will make me happy - and usually does.  But then there's also Oatmeal, Oatmeal Raisin, Butter Cookies, Shortbread, Snickerdoodles, Ginger Snaps, Lemon Meltaways (all that powdered sugar!), etc., etc., etc...

As for store bought brands/kinds: Nutter Butters, Oreos (but I've found I can't eat as many as I used to - they give me a headache after five or six or...), Pecan Sandies (although I can tell the recipe has changed over the past few years - they've gone healthier), Stouffer's Ginger Snaps, Archway Iced Oatmeal (the little crispy ones), and anything those Keebler Elves come up with.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 07:48:56 AM »

It’s not rain, but today’s humidity is 85 per cent! The 85 per cent humidity, I think, must be the highest (worst?) discomfort index for human beings and I feel the air so heavy.  And dark gray clouds in the gray sky look very tired of maintaining their shapes, since they have the rain which is about to fall down.  :-\

DR Hisaka - That sounds like the weather pattern that can happen here in Virginia - particularly central Virginia.  In fact, the similar climate was the major reason that San-J Corporation opened a plant on the outskirts of Richmond to make their tamari and other condiments.

*Oh, do you pour tamari on top of your vanilla ice cream?  When I played for their "Welcome" reception at the Governor's Mansion many years ago, that's what they served for dessert - vanilla ice cream topped with a splash of tamari.  They claimed that it was a Japanese use of their product.

**And it was surprisingly good too.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 07:51:27 AM »

AH!  That's right...

Australian and New Zealand Army Corps
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 07:52:29 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2005, 07:56:44 AM »

And here's a recipe from http://www.aussieslang.com

Ingredients

1 cup plain flour
1 cup rolled oats (regular oatmeal) uncooked
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp golden syrup (or honey)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp boiling water
Method

Combine the flour (sifted), oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.
Melt the butter and Golden Syrup (or honey) in a saucepan over a low heat..

Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add to the butter and Golden Syrup.

Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix well.

Spoon dollops of mixture, about the size of a walnut shell, onto a greased tin leaving as much space again between dollops to allow for spreading.

Bake in a moderate oven, 180C / 350F, for 15-20 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack and seal in airtight containers.

Tips

The American tablespoon is a little smaller than the British tablespoon, so be generous with your Golden Syrup (or Honey) and Water.

If you have any thoughts of keeping the biscuits for any length of time I suggest you keep them in a padlocked container!

For a little variety you may wish to add 2 teaspoons of ginger spice or even Wattle Seeds, a recent addition but don't ask me where to get them.

Mmmm, ANZAC Biscuits.

Enjoy!
[/size]
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2005, 08:01:09 AM »

*And edible "wattle seeds" are from the Acacia trees.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2005, 08:02:19 AM »

OK.. I guess I should head downstairs for my bowl of cereal...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2005, 08:02:20 AM »

Direct TV was here.  Apparently, a bush was completely covering the dish.  How this could happen overnight (one night it was working, next it was covered) is beyond me, but all is well now.  Except, where in tarnation IS everyone?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2005, 08:02:41 AM »

Oreos

Oreo is very popular in Japan, too, DR DAN(the man).

My favorite cookies as a child, Animal and Alphabet cookies (biscuits) with chocolate and/or many bright color sugar paste.
And now I like YOKUMOKU cookies (sorry, but only dear BK has tasted them…) They are very light and not too sweet as dear BK mentioned. I think they were not satisfactory to HIM. Too small and too light. ;)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2005, 08:05:19 AM »

Good morning, dear BK!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2005, 08:15:05 AM »

I loved the YOKUMOKU cookies.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2005, 08:16:54 AM »

MALAPERT, baby, MALAPERT.

I also love Nutter Butters.  I used to enjoy Mother's cookies (the animal ones), and chocolate covered graham crackers, but I've never been that huge a cookie fan.  I will stop occasionally if I see a Mrs. Fields and get their coconut macadamia nut cookie.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2005, 08:24:09 AM »

*Oh, do you pour tamari on top of your vanilla ice cream?  When I played for their "Welcome" reception at the Governor's Mansion many years ago, that's what they served for dessert - vanilla ice cream topped with a splash of tamari.  They claimed that it was a Japanese use of their product.

**And it was surprisingly good too.

:)

I've never tasted vanilla ice cream topped with soy sauce in my life, DR JOSE.  It was in fashion a few years ago in Japan, too, but now....I rarely hear about it.  In any case, I'm really surprised that you mentioned " it was surprisingly good too".  Your taste is  beyond international !
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up