Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAIN MEAL  (Read 22978 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THE MAIN MEAL
« Reply #210 on: March 12, 2008, 06:55:21 PM »

Vacation vibes to Cillaliz!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Kerry

« Reply #211 on: March 12, 2008, 06:57:04 PM »

I have a sort of medical question that i'm sure somebody here will have the brilliant answer to.

I had this 1 inch scratch on the front of my wrist (i have no idea how i got it).  And it left this red mark.  I'm imagining it will eventually go away by itself. But it is really bugging me (especially since i don't know how i got it).

The scab part came off and now it's all red.

I was just wondering if there is something i can put on it to speed it along.

Thanks.

This sounds like a normal day for me.
I like boat races.

singdaw

« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2008, 06:58:15 PM »

DR Kerry - :)  Please PM me your mailing address!   Thanks-

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2008, 06:58:20 PM »

Oh, you two!  I hope Mr. Laura doesn't find out.  Not to mention any of Kerry's beaus.

People can't figure out my relationship with Kerry. They ask me if my husband gets jealous. I tell them he's not the jealous type.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

singdaw

« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2008, 07:00:12 PM »

***MOOLA VIBES***[/size][/color]
to DR TCB![/size][/color]

Cillaliz

« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »

Vacation vibes to Cillaliz!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/move][/color][/b]

Thanks TCB!  I need a vacation and I'm glad I will have some time to be with my parents seeing a new place (for me) and just relaxing.  No chores to do for them, things to repair etc, like there would be at their house.  Plus, I didn't realize how many of their fellow snowbirds have kids who visit while they are there.  None of us ever have and I get the impression mom's having fun telling their friends that one of her kids is coming to visit, lol.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2008, 07:01:51 PM »

The Goldstein girls came over this evening. We filled the bird feeder and watched the hummingbirds at the penstemon plants.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2008, 07:02:36 PM »

Have a great time in sunny Arizona, Cillaliz.

Cillaliz

« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »

Have a great time in sunny Arizona, Cillaliz.

Thanks, DR Laura...I'll be thinking of you up in Phx

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2008, 07:06:46 PM »

Quote from: Jennifer on Today at 10:25:55am
Oh wow i had no idea TOP CHEF started tonight.

I love love love that show.

But of course Food Network Canada is delayed usually by 6 weeks.  But i am very excited by the prospect!

Top Chef is not on Food Network, it is on BRAVO

der Brucer
Ah, but Food Network Canada has the rights to broadcast Top Chef.  Bravo Canada, while licensed to use the name Bravo!, split from the USA version of Bravo when the latter shifted from performing arts programming to a more general programming agenda.  Thus, the "American" Bravo programming appears in Canada on other networks.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Kerry

« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2008, 07:11:23 PM »

People can't figure out my relationship with Kerry. They ask me if my husband gets jealous. I tell them he's not the jealous type.

What they don't know he is that i am no threat to DH.    It's fun watching people trying to figure it all out, though!!!!   I love DRLaura's family-- I get along with each one of them on their own level.
I like boat races.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »

Did I ever tell you about the gay hotel clerk and my father-in-law?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 07:16:14 PM by DearReaderLaura »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »

Good night all.  Vibes to all who need them.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=12]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2008, 07:24:58 PM »

I next watched ENCHANTED on Blu-ray...Funny that Idina Menzel is in the film and doesn't sing a note. Amy Adams, of course, sings liltingly and embodies the innocence and chipper qualities of the big three Disney princesses (Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty.)
Yes, that Menzel didn't sing bothered me, as well.  Would it have hurt the story that much to include a scene where Adams "teaches" Menzel how to sing?  It would have been fantastic.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2008, 07:38:53 PM »

I gotta tell you.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2008, 07:41:53 PM »

My dear der Brucer, apparently you have been out of LA too long:  BRAIN DEAD TWITS - that's what the drivers are, period, end of story.  I have seen some of the stupidest, most ridiculous drivers ever on these little jaunts to Anaheim.  
Or, perhaps, it is you, esteemed BK, who has been driving farther afield than you used to, and are now witnessing the BDTs in greater numbers.  In all the years you have been reporting in your notes and posts here at HHW, I don't recall you ever travelling as much and as far as you have recently.

The only thing that could have changed in the four years since der B and I left the Cal of So is the density of population, ever spiraling upwards.  The insanity of traffic in the County of Orange is much the same as I remember back in the days that der B and I were commuting from the Beach of Long to the Urton of Full, but with more people making said commute.  

I'd suggest using public transportation, but that is a total joke in the C of O.  (Trust me, I used to use it back in the day.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2008, 08:06:44 PM »

I'll bet "tuna sandwich" flavored ice cream is an idea that has not yet been tried.
You haven't been watching Iron Chef America.

Michael

« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »

As for Ask BK (DR) Day...

I just posted this on the Sondheim listserv, and it seems to have sort of stumped the denizens over there, so...

In the original production of Sunday in the Park with George, Celeste #1 (or is #2) ends the first act standing stage right with the fishing pole.  However, at the top of the second act, she is sitting center stage with the other Celeste.  Does anybody know why?  I will say, that her re-placement goes along with the "wave" of solo lines in "It's Hot Up Here", so I've always thought it was more a practical matter than something "artistic". Any thoughts? guesses? proof otherwise?

I am going to guess  that like Dot he placed Celeste (1 or 2) in more than one place. So instead of the cutout she was live.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2008, 08:10:17 PM »

I'm curious if any DR has any experience making and/or using yogurt cheese [or Yochee, as they say...]?
Yes, I have.  It's simply a case of taking a good quality yogurt, splopping it into a seive lined with cheesecloth, and letting the excess liquid drain out.  Add finely chopped cucumber (which should also be drained) and garlic, and you've got a classic Greek spread (the name of which I forget right now).  To quote, "Yummers."

Michael

« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2008, 08:11:32 PM »

While I cooked and ate lunch, I continued watching SHOW BOAT (1951). This has to be one of the most intensely saturated Technicolor films currently on DVD. Needs a big clean-up and a general overhauling, but those colors certainly are lush. More so than for any other MGM musical currently on DVD.

Isn't it being done in a superset with all three versions of the film. It would be great if they could include the PBS version from a decade or so ago.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2008, 08:13:36 PM »

I continued watching the D-Files section of ENCHANTED. Once you finish all of the questions, it gives you your score and depending on how how you score, you get to see one, two, or three behind the scenes featurettes on the writing and performance of three songs in the movie.

It also allows you to go back and watch featurettes you might not have seen if you got questions wrong so you don't miss any high def clips from the classics.

I'll tell you: the two Disney films that looked to me the most stunning in high def through these clips were CINDERELLA and ALADDIN. My gosh they were eye-popping! BEAUTY AND THE BEAST looked very good too. SNOW WHITE was good and average. PETER PAN looked nice. SLEEPING BEAUTY (which is coming out this fall on Blu-ray, the first Disney classic to do so) looks quite beautiful, but the colors don't quite pop the way CINDERELLA and ALADDIN did.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2008, 08:15:03 PM »

Yes, that Menzel didn't sing bothered me, as well.  Would it have hurt the story that much to include a scene where Adams "teaches" Menzel how to sing?  It would have been fantastic.

Or maybe she and James Marsden could have sung a chorus of either "So Close" or "Ever, Ever After."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2008, 08:15:37 PM »

Tsatsiki
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #233 on: March 12, 2008, 08:17:42 PM »

Isn't it being done in a superset with all three versions of the film. It would be great if they could include the PBS version from a decade or so ago.

Yes, they are going to do that as they did with laserdiscs, but from what I remember at the Warner chat, they're using Ultra-Resolution on SHOW BOAT which takes a lot of time. They're also looking for better elements for the part talkie SHOW BOAT. The Universal 1936 version certainly needed some attention, too.

So, who knows if we'll get it this year or next year?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #234 on: March 12, 2008, 08:18:47 PM »

You can also mix the herbs and spices of your choice into yogurt-cheese, and use it as a spread on crackers, or a dip for crudites.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #235 on: March 12, 2008, 08:19:24 PM »

Or "Tzatziki" if you prefer.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2008, 08:19:42 PM »

I'm feeling pretty beat right now.  I had my alarm set for eight AM, but the phone rang at six-thirty, asking me to come in early and put in extra hours (one of my co-workers had called out, apparently really feeling punk).

And I've got a five AM alarm for tomorrow, so I'd better sign off.

BUT NOT BEFORE....

Matt H.

« Reply #237 on: March 12, 2008, 08:19:58 PM »

I finished up the bonus features on ENCHANTED watching "Pip's Predicament" which was a giant waste of time, a pop up adventure story animated like a pop up book. Thankfully it was only 5 1/2 minutes.

I'm sad this section was so poor because Pip in ENCHANTED steals every scene he's in.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #238 on: March 12, 2008, 08:21:24 PM »

Tsatsiki

Bless You!

And cover your mouth next time!!!

;D

Matt H.

« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2008, 08:21:45 PM »

Next I watched David Cronenberg's EASTERN PROMISES. Violent (naturally) but an interesting story and some good surprises. I enjoyed it very much.

The HD-DVD was a very fine high def encoding, and I listened to the Dolby True HD track which was very nice.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up