Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEARY BONES  (Read 29399 times)

Cillaliz

Re: THE WEARY BONES
« Reply #360 on: January 18, 2009, 06:46:50 PM »

I just heard that Bob May, who played the LOST IN SPACE robot, has passed away.

What would life have been without "Danger, Will Robinson"?!?!?!?!?!!!?

Probably over for Will Robinson.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #361 on: January 18, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »

Thirteen pages on a Sunday - very nice indeed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #362 on: January 18, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »

I'm not going to finish the French motion picture because the American DVD seems to be shorn of about thirty-five minutes of its original running time.

Kerry

« Reply #363 on: January 18, 2009, 06:48:40 PM »

I also liked (but didn't love) the musical remake of THE AWFUL TRUTH with Ray Milland and Jane Wyman and Aldo Ray....

Jane Wyman was a pretty good singer and dancer - especially in JUST FOR YOU and HERE COMES THE GROOM with Bing Crosby.

And she started out as a perky blonde.    She released a few 45's in the 50's.  Or she relased a few 50's in the 45's. 
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #364 on: January 18, 2009, 06:49:06 PM »

Maybe I'll watch a Smothers Brothers show.  My throat is really bugging me, but I shall NOT get sick.  Maybe I'll run out and get some chicken soup.

Kerry

« Reply #365 on: January 18, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »

Glad you enjoyed the clip, DRs KERRY, JANE, and MBARNUM.....

"Hey, wait a minute.  Don't anybody leave the room.  I've lost my purse!"
  It's her subtlety with the non-use of the wind machine that really cracks me up.
I like boat races.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #366 on: January 18, 2009, 06:52:48 PM »

I was always very glad I did not live in the south.  I feared I would not be brave enough to speak up.

It wasn't just the south, they were just more blatant about discrimination.

In Philadelphia, noted as "The First Free City" the blacks just knew to keep their place. They could shop in the downtown department stores (if they used the rear employee entrances). They could not use the fitting rooms and clothing they bought was non-returnable. They had their neighborhoods, stores, theatres churches. If one black family moved into an area, the whole block went up for fire sale.

I'll still never forget when Judge Hastings (ex-Governor of the Virgin Islands) bought a lovely 18th Century mansion on a full square block piece of property in our area. His family decide to attend our church. The first Sunday they were there my cousin-in-law saw them approach the rail for communion and stormed out of the church yelling "No cup that has touched black lips will ever touch mine." I'm sure Jesus was pleased.

der Brucer

See Randy Newman's song "Rednecks". It describes what Der B has written perfectly. Being from Ohio but spending most of my life in The South, (especially moving to a racially tense New Orleans from a small white farming town in 1959 at the beginning of school integration!) I can vow that the South did not have a corner on the racism market. It existed everywhere, but just in different ways.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #367 on: January 18, 2009, 06:56:35 PM »

Glad you enjoyed the clip, DRs KERRY, JANE, and MBARNUM.....

"Hey, wait a minute.  Don't anybody leave the room.  I've lost my purse!"
  It's her subtlety with the non-use of the wind machine that really cracks me up.

That is also funny :)

DAW

« Reply #368 on: January 18, 2009, 06:58:16 PM »

Nice video, DR FJL!   :)

Ginny

« Reply #369 on: January 18, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »

DR Ginny are you seriously looking or just looking to see what's out there  (at houses, that is)

I'm wondering the same thing.  You sort of left us dangling there ;)

Sorry, DRs Cillaliz and Jane and anyone else who's wondering.  Richard and I have been talking for a year or so about how nice it would be to have a one-story house with the laundry not in the basement.  We've been going to open houses once in a while, just to get an idea of what we like and what we don't.  Today, he was grossed out by the fact that, in the master suite, you had to go through the bathroom to get to the huge walk-in closet.  Seemed pretty impractical to me.  No wonder they haven't been able to sell that house since it was built on spec.

The day that Hurricane Ike hit (Sept. 13) we stopped at an open house on the way home from church and took a quick look at a house just after the power had gone off.  It was as close to perfection for me as we'll come (except for the location, but you can't have everything).  When we passed it today, with the sign still out front, I said that to Richard and he said, "I thought you didn't like it."  Think we might make an appointment to go have another look, with the lights on and our lines of communication open.

What street's it on?

North Breiel Blvd., just north of Nelson Road.  That's the big drawback - no street parking (except on the cross street) and having to back out of the driveway into three lanes of southbound traffic.  Not heavy traffic, but traffic nonetheless.

I wouldn't like that at all.

DR Ginny, maybe you shouldn't look at it.

I suspect that's the reason it hasn't sold.  Well, that and the fact that the economy tanked about the time it went up for sale.

I think we really do want to look at it with our likely realtor, a very good friend of my late mother-in-law, but close to our age.  Even if we don't pursue that particular house, we'd like her to know what our ideal looks like.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #370 on: January 18, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »

The time you thought at last would come at last has come.  (a Bye Bye Birdie reference)

Here's the FISH!/Jeremy Piven/ZIP! parody video link.  Please watch it and help the youtube numbers.  :)

(Jose's friend Jim's company did the video work.  Thanks Jose for that, and again for your helpful advice the other night before we recorded.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wFvpx3q6vI

If you can, select the HIGH QUALITY mode on youtube.

Thanks for watching if you have time! (It's about five minutes.)

Very clever.   You're nuts, you know that don't you?    We're all nuts-- that's why we get along so well.
I like boat races.

FJL

« Reply #371 on: January 18, 2009, 07:04:57 PM »

Kerry - If my doing a 9-minute video about the bailouts, parodying Helen Reddy songs, didn't convince you I was nuts, what is it about this one?  :)

Jane

« Reply #372 on: January 18, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »

I did not know such overt racism existed in Philadelphia.  By the time we moved to the area, around 1983, it had improved drastically.  It still had a long way to go......

We lived about 45 minutes outside of the city.  Of all the places we have lived I found that to be the most prejudice area of all.  Actually it was the only place we lived that was outspoken about their feelings.  When we moved from there I did something I never considered before, I made sure there was a fairly decent Jewish population in the school district.

Attitudes were changing by the time we left & I'm sure they have continued to do so.

Kerry

« Reply #373 on: January 18, 2009, 07:08:10 PM »

DR Ginny are you seriously looking or just looking to see what's out there  (at houses, that is)

I'm wondering the same thing.  You sort of left us dangling there ;)

Sorry, DRs Cillaliz and Jane and anyone else who's wondering.  Richard and I have been talking for a year or so about how nice it would be to have a one-story house with the laundry not in the basement.  We've been going to open houses once in a while, just to get an idea of what we like and what we don't.  Today, he was grossed out by the fact that, in the master suite, you had to go through the bathroom to get to the huge walk-in closet.  Seemed pretty impractical to me.  No wonder they haven't been able to sell that house since it was built on spec.

The day that Hurricane Ike hit (Sept. 13) we stopped at an open house on the way home from church and took a quick look at a house just after the power had gone off.  It was as close to perfection for me as we'll come (except for the location, but you can't have everything).  When we passed it today, with the sign still out front, I said that to Richard and he said, "I thought you didn't like it."  Think we might make an appointment to go have another look, with the lights on and our lines of communication open.

What street's it on?

North Breiel Blvd., just north of Nelson Road.  That's the big drawback - no street parking (except on the cross street) and having to back out of the driveway into three lanes of southbound traffic.  Not heavy traffic, but traffic nonetheless.

I suspect that's the reason it hasn't sold.  Well, that and the fact that the economy tanked about the time it went up for sale.

I think we really do want to look at it with our likely realtor, a very good friend of my late mother-in-law, but close to our age.  Even if we don't pursue that particular house, we'd like her to know what our ideal looks like.

Ginny, most houses in Phoenix are one story.  After having had two broken ankles, I wouldn't live in a multi-story house.  When I have stayed in multi-storied houses whatever i have needed was another floor.  At one time we had a house that had a sunken bedrooom and a sunken living room due to the placement of air returns.  It was a little 800 sq. ft. gem.  At one point I had dislocated my knee and had to use crutches for about 10 days.  You couldn't go anywhere in that house without walking up or down two steps.  Later our dog had hip dysplasia, and I fully understood her difficulties!    Since then, it's been one level for me.  And just in time to break my ankles!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #374 on: January 18, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »

Unless of course, you could be like Cathleen Nesbitt in "The Farmer's Daughter" and have a chair elevator along the stairs!
I like boat races.

Jane

« Reply #375 on: January 18, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »

What street's it on?

Having your realtor know your ideal house helps ;D

I attempted to reduce some of these quotes to shorten this post.  It didn't really work.

Kerry

« Reply #376 on: January 18, 2009, 07:10:31 PM »

Besides the best time to look at houses is when you don't really need to move.  You've got nothing to lose that way!
I like boat races.

Cillaliz

« Reply #377 on: January 18, 2009, 07:11:03 PM »

I attempted to reduce some of these quotes to shorten this post.  It didn't really work.

IS that better

Cillaliz

« Reply #378 on: January 18, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »

Besides the best time to look at houses is when you don't really need to move.  You've got nothing to lose that way!

It would be really fun to see you on House Hunters!   I think I watch too much HGTV

Kerry

« Reply #379 on: January 18, 2009, 07:11:50 PM »

Kerry - If my doing a 9-minute video about the bailouts, parodying Helen Reddy songs, didn't convince you I was nuts, what is it about this one?  :)

Oh, I knew you were nuts then too.   You forget-- we were with you on New Year's Eve!!!   
I like boat races.

Jane

« Reply #380 on: January 18, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »

Unless of course, you could be like Cathleen Nesbitt in "The Farmer's Daughter" and have a chair elevator along the stairs!

That is what our realtor here kept saying every time we looked at a two story home, and since most of the homes we liked were two levels the topic came up on a regular basis.

Jane

« Reply #381 on: January 18, 2009, 07:13:50 PM »

IS that better

YES!  Most times I try it I end up with open quotes.

Jane

« Reply #382 on: January 18, 2009, 07:14:15 PM »

Keith is waiting for me to watch something.

'night

Ginny

« Reply #383 on: January 18, 2009, 07:16:48 PM »

I keep telling Richard that there are some really nice ranch houses in the retirement community where my mom lives and in the one where his mother lived.  He says he could probably tolerate living there, but he thinks I'd go nuts.  He's probably right.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #384 on: January 18, 2009, 07:21:16 PM »

It would be really fun to see you on House Hunters!   I think I watch too much HGTV

The last house I lived in with MusicGuy was a really great house in a great neighborhood.  We had just finished remodeling the kitchen in our existing house (about 4 blocks away) and were not looking to move.  But we saw this house  and its huge yard when out for a walk.  So making an offer on the new house was OK.  If it went through, fine.  If it didn't, the house we lived in was becoming exactly what i wanted it to be.  So there were no worries.  So as it turned out, we made an offer on this 1949 house that had a lot of land in a good neighborhood but needed a lot of work.  A sign was put on our old house house on Saturday; it was shown once on Sunday, and the offer came in Monday.   A far cry from about 20 years before when we really needed to sell the house and it sat on the market for over a year.   That's why i say do it when you have nothing to lose.
I like boat races.

Cillaliz

« Reply #385 on: January 18, 2009, 07:21:54 PM »

IS that better

YES!  Most times I try it I end up with open quotes.

The last quote has the top line so you need to delete everything in between....if that makes any sense at all

td

• td
« Reply #386 on: January 18, 2009, 07:22:15 PM »

Steelers are going to the Super Bowl.  :)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Kerry

« Reply #387 on: January 18, 2009, 07:23:34 PM »

Well you don't have to live in a retirement community either, but I have friends in Milwaukee who have a beautiful 1903 three story house PLUS basement, and their health and age are not what they once were, and it's too many flights of stairs.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #388 on: January 18, 2009, 07:24:10 PM »

Steelers are going to the Super Bowl.  :)
Will they be playing against the Red Birds?
I like boat races.

Cillaliz

« Reply #389 on: January 18, 2009, 07:24:14 PM »

I keep telling Richard that there are some really nice ranch houses in the retirement community where my mom lives and in the one where his mother lived.  He says he could probably tolerate living there, but he thinks I'd go nuts.  He's probably right.

It doesn't hurt to look now.  If you find the house you really really love, you may decide it's time to move, if you don't  you can just keep looking.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up