Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KRITZERLAND REBORN  (Read 14988 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: KRITZERLAND REBORN
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2009, 07:52:39 AM »

Before I do the Safari update - what happens at the startup - I hate surprises.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2009, 07:53:04 AM »

I also won't do the update until Kritzerland is live and well and living on the Internet. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2009, 07:54:39 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Let's see...

Adding double the amount of water to a chocolate cake recipe... Then just letting the cakes bake in the oven until they looked done, looked "right".  Alas, they didn't taste right at all.

When I lived in Richmond, I had one stove that would randomly go into broiler mode every now and then.  For some dishes, it wasn't such a big deal - baked chicken, roasted vegetables, etc.  I just had to turn the oven off and start it back up again a few second laters.  However, I remember baking a pound cake that called for starting off the baking in a cold oven.  I put the filled cake pans in the oven, turned the oven on, then went into the other room to watch some TV... Then ran back into the kitchen a few minutes later when I smelled something burning.  Thankfully, I was able to salvage the cakes by lifting off the "crust".  So, I guess it wasn't much of a disaster after all.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2009, 07:55:25 AM »

TOD - aside from the times our oven element caught fire (once for me, once for Richard), my worst kitchen disaster happened about 40 years ago at my sister's house.  Her kids were little and she was working in a bank, so I baby sat during the day.  My niece and nephew have birthdays just 5 days apart (Mark's was Sunday, Laura's is Friday), so about this time of year, I decided we'd make a double batch of cupcakes.  I got a very full bowl of batter going on her mixer, with which I was unfamiliar, and it spun so fast the centrifugal force threw cupcake goo all over the ceiling before I could find the OFF switch.  What a mess!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2009, 07:56:34 AM »

Just check out the preview page on Apple's website.  Safari 4's new "preview" window-pane view just takes a few seconds to load up.

http://www.apple.com/safari/
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2009, 07:58:34 AM »

Would a Safari Update be available on MY G4?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2009, 08:01:09 AM »

Would a Safari Update be available on MY G4?

Only if you're running "Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7 or Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 and Security Update 2009-002".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2009, 08:02:27 AM »

RE: Safari 4 - I was sort of surprised at how "small" an update it was considering how many new features it adds to the browser.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2009, 08:07:17 AM »

I think I have 10.4.11.....I shall go check
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2009, 08:08:57 AM »

My problems with SHREK and with Titus Burgess:

It's one thing to slavishly recreate the physical aspects of a movie into a theatrical production--it's another for the actors to have to rip off the performances of the original voice actors.  During that number on the Tonys all I could hear was John Lithgow.  In fact, in the dialogue before the number, Christopher Sieber imitates Lithgow's line readings inflection by inflection.  The same goes for the actors playing Shrek and the donkey.  I'm not blaming the performers because I'm betting that this direction was imposed on them (and more than likely, the director had that pushed on him, as well.)

I can't shake the feeling that Titus Burgess was cast as Nicely-Nicely solely to do that soul Gospel riff at the end of "Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat".  I'm sure he is a talented performer, but I got nothing from him in this number.  Of course, he was undone by the dull staging and the way that that heavenly projection in the background overwhelmed everything on the stage.  And for better or not, Mary Testa was the only moment for me that woke the number up.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »

I have two kitchen stories.  One is exactly like elmore's - boiling eggs, forgetting I was boiling eggs, leaving, and coming back to a kitchen filled with egg droppings everywhere - I think it was in an apartment and I think I moved rather than clean it up :)

Kitchen story two was an apartment in college - I couldn't get the damn stove to light so I took a match and lit it, after unfortunately leaving the gas on too long.  There was a burst of flame that singed my eyebrows and the front of my hair and lit the curtains on fire.  I got everything doused, but I had very peculiar-looking eyebrows, let me tell you that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2009, 08:15:30 AM »

I know webguy and gal were supposed to be on the phone at eight - wonder what's happening?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2009, 08:18:08 AM »

Well, what's happening is there's no site at all at the moment - something I was hoping would not happen at all - I think the idea was one site was taken down and another put up without any down time, but maybe that wasn't possible.  Hopefully it will be up soon.  I'm sure if there's a problem I'll hear about it momentarily, but I'm hoping it's just the switchover happening. 

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2009, 08:20:41 AM »

Just check out the preview page on Apple's website.  Safari 4's new "preview" window-pane view just takes a few seconds to load up.

http://www.apple.com/safari/

Thanks for this link, DR Jose!  It enabled me to find how to customize the toolbar.

BK - the only thing I'm having trouble with is that they've moved the Refresh to the right-hand end of the address line and I'm used to it being on the left.  Won't take long to adapt, I'm sure.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2009, 08:21:47 AM »

I can't think of a really bad kitchen disaster, but I'll certainly report back later if I think of one.

I know I came close to a disaster when returning one summer from a trip to NYC, two days after I got back, the waterline leading to my refrigerator's ice maker sprang a leak. If it had happened when I had been in NYC, it would have been a disaster. Since I was there when it happened, it was easy to just turn off the water valve.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2009, 08:23:25 AM »

I find it interesting that they chose to do Sit Down Your Rockin The Boat for the Tony Award 2009 as they did the same number for the last revival.

I was wondering why the chose that over some of the other numbers from the show.

BTW I have been watching select moments from the Tony Awards on You Tube

Likewise, why did Legally Blonde decide to showcase the same number that was done two years ago on the awards broadcast?

It suddenly strikes me as funny that Legally Blonde has managed to get the same number featured on the Tonys in two different years despite the fact that it was never nominated as a Best Musical in the first place.

I think the reason "they" chose to perform "So Much Better" from Legally Blonde - as well as "Dancing Queen", "Sit Down Your Rockin' The Boat" and even the Jersey Boys medley - is that those songs are the "Greatest Hits".  If Wicked had been featured, I have a feeling "Defying Gravity" would have been performed again too.  (And I would not have minded seeing that again.)

Some people don't mind seeing - and hearing - the same songs over and over again.  -How many YouTube clips have you watched more than once?  Additionally, I'm sure that there was a good chunk - well, maybe a small chunk - of the viewing audience that hadn't seen those numbers before. -I've actually missed the previous televised performances of "What's Up, Duloc?" from Shrek.  However...

I think both "Dancing Queen" and "So Much Better" were not well-served by the staging - having the soloist(s) out on the dais, and the rest of the company back on the stage.  Just too much "space".

bk - The key for "Dancing Queen" has always been that "low" - lots of mixing, no belt.  It's not meant to be a "show-off" number in the show - it's a fun, friendly, "girl power", woman-bonding number.  In the show proper, it's sung in the bedroom (like it was in the movie), and in the curtain call it's meant to feature the spandex. ;) The curtain call version of "Waterloo" would have had more energy.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2009, 08:23:26 AM »

Now this is funny!  Why didn't they show this during the Tony Broadcast?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntg_cW5C93M
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2009, 08:24:08 AM »

Now I must head downstairs and get the rest of the day going.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2009, 08:28:21 AM »

'cause we had to see the stupid Verizon commercial with the clueless dad at the ice cream shop a few more times!

Ben

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2009, 08:31:46 AM »

While I prepare food for consumption by Anthony and me I don't consider myself a cook and I really don't "like" cooking. If I could take a pill or have an operation or make one of the three wishes from the Good Fairy so that I would never have to eat anything again for the rest of my life I would do it without looking back. While I certainly enjoy food and love having dinner with friends, the idea that I must eat or I will die, plus the whole geo-politcal issue of food and hunger annoys me no end. It's food but it is in many ways, life and death. If you don't eat you die. That is so wrong. I know that's not the topic of the day but since I have no kitchen disasters I thought I would add my two cents about food in the circle of life.

Ben

« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2009, 08:32:19 AM »

Also, I am SO FRIGGIN' BUSY at work that I haven't had much time to mention the Tonys. Perhaps this weekend.

Ben

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2009, 08:33:19 AM »

I got to see it. Yes, it was VERY funny!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »

I just went to www.kritzerland.com and guess what I found?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2009, 08:40:08 AM »

Thanks for posting that, DR Dan (the Man). The "commercial breaks" in the theatre are my favorite part.  Hopefully, more of them will pop up as the week goes by.  Although, I'm guessing if Seth Rudetsky put together some bits, they're probably on his website already.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2009, 08:43:15 AM »

There was VERY little entertainment during the commercial breaks. It was a disappointment. There were teasers for Spiderman and some other shows and old commericals for Hair, West Side Story and Timbuktu but very little else.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2009, 08:47:36 AM »

Looks good!

I'm guessing the answer is "Yes" to this question, but...

Is there supposed to be a difference between what is displayed on:

http://www.kritzerland.com/

vs.

http://www.kritzerland.com/home.htm (which is only accessible/viewable if you click back to the "Home" page)?

*I really like the different banners too.
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2009, 08:49:03 AM »

Congratulations, bk!!!   :)     Looks splendiferous.     And thanks for the shout-out in today's notes!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »

There was VERY little entertainment during the commercial breaks. It was a disappointment. There were teasers for Spiderman and some other shows and old commericals for Hair, West Side Story and Timbuktu but very little else.

Oh, that's weird.  Not even one of Seth Rudetsky's brief "deconstructing" bits? I thought the [title of show] folks were supposed to have filmed something.  Guess not.
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2009, 08:52:31 AM »

DR JoseSPiano, thanks for the heads up on Safari 4.  I had not heard about the update.

Ben

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2009, 08:55:47 AM »

Oh, that's weird.  Not even one of Seth Rudetsky's brief "deconstructing" bits? I thought the [title of show] folks were supposed to have filmed something.  Guess not.

They may have filmed something but like other things (the Jerry Herman medley) it could have been cut even though it was only for "in-house" viewing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up