Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: I COULD WRITE A BOOK  (Read 35483 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I COULD WRITE A BOOK
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2007, 10:56:03 AM »

"Lost" is on again tonight?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2007, 10:58:03 AM »

Page Five Dainty June Dance!

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2007, 10:58:51 AM »

...And I have to say, after this morning, Arthur Laurents really knows his Gypsy!

:)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:00:21 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2007, 11:04:05 AM »

Jennifer - Thanks for chiming in on last night's MEDIUM.  And MattH - Please don't read the rest of this post until you've seen the show, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on this episode.

SPOILER

I see after reading your comments that it was logical, and how real people would behave.  But I somehow wanted more ("morally" for want of a better word) from a lead character I'm supposed to care about.  

Maybe that's why I generally dislike the epsiodes I've seen of HOUSE despite its clear quality.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2007, 11:04:10 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Stephen King's "It" and "Pet Sematary"

"Catcher in the Rye" - I was so familiar with the brick red paperback cover with the orange/gold lettering, that the first time I saw the original hardcover art, I had to make it was the same book by J. D. Salinger.

Michael Chabon's books tend have eye-catching art.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2007, 11:05:52 AM »

Transfer my votes?  Outrageous notion.  I wouldn't waste five cents on either of the two remaining contestants.

An interesting outlook - that many transfer to the political arena. Often people mistake one's failure to make a "forced" selection as hostility; often it simply means
"no preference". I suspect that a great many of the votes  over a season of Idol are cast for a "favorite son" - once the "favorite" is eliminated, there is no longer a particular interest in the ultimate outcome (whether the remaining candidates are equally attractive, or are unattractive).

I am intrigued by the "problem" of a record producer. If I were searching for an American Idol to sign for a contract, how do I assign weighting factors for "CD" potential (vocal quality) as opposed to "Concert/Show" potential - "star" quality.  If I am not mistaken, today's recording industry is strongly driven by "concert" potential (more so than in the 50-60s where radio (and later TV) air play was a driving factor in record sales.

O course, in politics, even if our "favorite" fails at an early stage, we may still feel a vested interest in the ultimate outcome - not so with a talent contest where the ultimate outcome can be of no consequence to many viewers.

The AI experience also makes little provision for talent that is most enjoyed in small doses - I can't envision enjoying a whole concert of Blake Lewis, but one Blake number in a Melinda concert might be fun!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2007, 11:09:21 AM »

Back to "Idol" for a sec...

I've been rewatching Tuesday night's show with my roomie, and we both noticed some things.  -And confirmed some things I thought I heard the first time.  And they both concern Melinda.

My roomies and I all though Melinda was not at her best during "I Believe in You and Me".  She was actually pitchy in places - especially on the last note... then she let her vibrato creep in to "correct" it.

And we were all surprised at how much the judges praised her for that performance.

We also think we caught her stumbling and/or forgetting her words during the second phrase of "I'm A Woman".  We even rewound the DVR a couple of times and turned up the volume to make sure it wasn't just a mic thing.

However, we all thought she did very well with "Nutbush".  She rocked!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2007, 11:11:02 AM »

"Lost" is on again tonight?

I remember some promo saying that this will be a show with the LOST producers which will instruct viewers on how to watch the two-hour season finale.

I'm glad they are doing this because I had no idea on how to prepare for it myself.  I was going to hire a coach.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2007, 11:14:57 AM »

And as for Blake...

If he wins, I think he'll do quite well.  As long as the "AI" machine doesn't mess him up.  His style is very "in" right now as his Maroon Five and Robin Thicke selections demonstrated.

Alas, if he does win, I'm not sure the typical "AI" first single/song would really work for him.  At least if it's the typical pop-inspirational-power ballad.  -None of which, so far, have really been great songs, and some haven't even been good.

Blake would be a truly unique "AI" winner.  And I also sense that he's smart enough to know that he can't make a career as a one trick pony.  But, then again, I don't think of him as a one trick pony now.  He can not beat box.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2007, 11:15:27 AM »

I remember some promo saying that this will be a show with the LOST producers which will instruct viewers on how to watch the two-hour season finale.

I'm glad they are doing this because I had no idea on how to prepare for it myself.  I was going to hire a coach.

Ah, OK.  Thank you, DR Dan (the Man).
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2007, 11:18:33 AM »

But I somehow wanted more ("morally" for want of a better word) from a lead character I'm supposed to care about.  

But are we to necessarily "care about" lead characters?

I sure don't give a wit about either Macbeth, but love the play.

I don't "care" about House, but am intigued by the character.

Someof us enjoy watching are intrigued by train wrecks.

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2007, 11:20:28 AM »

And as for Jordin...

She truly does have a wonderful voice.  However, even though she's praised for "just being 17", I can hear the "17-year old" voice.  -It's that just under-pitch, under-supported thing she does when she sings softly and in her low to mid range.

I just hope - whether she wins or not - that she doesn't end up burning out her vocal cords with one powerhouse vocal after another.  She's got a lot of growing to do both physically and musically.  And, hopefully, if those two aspects don't age at the same pace, there will be somebody there to tell her so if she doesn't notice it herself.

I think she'd make a good "AI" winner.  But it's gonna take something and someone special to make her "break out".
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2007, 11:20:40 AM »

He can not beat box.

And Elvis could hold still - Love Me Tender.

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2007, 11:22:43 AM »

Yikes, der Brucer, you quoted fom my SPOILER!!!

But still...SPOILER

Der Brucer - I certainly don't mean that we're supposed to care about all lead characters. But I guess I've tended to see MEDIUM as wanting the audience to care about its lead and be invested in things going right for her and her family.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:27:10 AM by FJL »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2007, 11:26:40 AM »

And as for Melinda...

I liked Melinda a lot.  But as others have mentioned, there was sometimes something "too perfect" about her voice.  She undoubtedly had the best voice in the competition - she has training, she knows what she can do, and, more importantly, she knows what she can't do.  Alas, I think her humility and meekness may have caused her not to take more risks during the competition.  When they announced that she was doing, "Nutbush," I truly had no idea what to expect.  And, to my ears, it was her best performance of the night.  (I just wish they could have put in her a better blouse - that top did not flatter her at all.)

She will undoubtedly have a career, but, like Jordin - and even like Lakisha - it will take some creative marketing and repertoire to help "break out", and sustain a career after a CD or two.

*And even though she left last week I'm still amazed at Lakisha's lack of pop music knowledge.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2007, 11:34:26 AM »

Thank-you, Jesus!

God Hates the World

Fred Phelps will picket Jerry Falwell's funeral.

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2007, 11:36:34 AM »

DR Jose, you indicate Blake can "not" beat box.

Yes, he can...but when he has, he's been -- IMO -- the weakest performer on the stage.  The LAST time he did "not" beat box, he was in the bottom three.  That was three weeks ago.

He has "beat-boxed" in every song since.

His first song Tuesday night was "amped" to enhance the vocal.  He and Jordin, both, relied heavily upon backup singers in one or more of their songs...so much so that it was difficult to hear that vocal glitches were beng covered.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:51:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »

I shall now be on my way to an important lunch, after which, I shall return.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »

And finally...

Just because "we" don't buy their CDs, doesn't mean "they" are not successful - at least in the eyes and coffers of the record companies.  I mean, every time I look at a current Billboard, Rolling Stone or Virgin "Top 20" listing, I don't even recognize half of the artists/groups that are topping the charts.  -And then when I look over a column and see how long some of those albums have been on the charts... 20 weeks? - Really?

And what's even "scarier" is that even with the very high turnover on the R&B and Rap Charts, if an artist manages to make it to the Top 20 even for one week, that already means they've made a decent chunk of change.

And then there's the Country charts...

And, in conclusion - Whew!...

Careers take years to build.  Years.  We're only on Season Six of "Idol".  Who knows if somewhere down the line some of the past winners and losers end up making and re-making a career for themselves over the next six seasons?
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2007, 11:38:41 AM »

Der Brucer - I certainly don't mean that we're supposed to care about all lead characters. But I guess I've tended to see MEDIUM as wanting the audience to care about its lead and be invested in things going right for her and her family.

You're right there.

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2007, 11:42:19 AM »

It's an interesting dilemma this "careers" and time business.

Most "careers" don't get the kind of substantial boost that the intensely hyped "American Idol" show offers.  I don't see how one can compare the career path of an "Idol" winner to any other career path out there.

If 60 million votes are cast and someone "wins" the most votes, I'd certainly expect 30,000,001 people to buy the first CD the winner issues.  This simply does not happen.  They don't turn up at the concerts in droves, either.

Of course, 60 million votes does not in any way reflect the total number of people voting.  I've read on the boards at "Idol" website that some voters are casting up to 500 votes each for Jordin or Blake.

So...let's say that 12,000,000 voted....they're still not going to selll 6,000,001 CDs, sad to say.

As for my earlier breakdown on who's done well and who hasn't, I have Grammys that Clarkson has won and the CMA awards Underwood has won...the phenomenal concert successes of Clay Aiken to contrast to the dismal  CD sales of the other "winners"...from which to draw my conclusions.

Of course time will tell...Justin Guarini may be ALL the rage in another five years.

;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:54:27 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2007, 11:52:39 AM »

Interesting, DR Jose, that you indicate Blake can "not" beat box.

Yes, he can...and when he has, he's been the weakest performer on the stage.  The LAST time he did "not" beat box, he was in the bottom three.  That was three weeks ago.

He has "beat-boxed" in every song since.

But then you bring up whether "America" disliked the performer or the song choice.  Or both.

I don't think Blake has any delusions that he has a "killer voice".  He does what he does, and he does it well.  Which, alas, is the one thing that's bugged me about "Idol" from the beginning...

There is really no such thing as an "All-Around Artist".  Yes, it's nice know that someone can sing a song from each of the past decades, and emulate certain artists, but there's no way a recording artist can make a career out of singing "The Great and Not-So-Great American Songbook Of the Past 50 Years."

I would love to see "AI" change gears one season and have each and every song choice chosen by the contestants, and to not have those choices pigeon-holed due some weekly theme or artist tribute.  Not everyone can sing everything very well.  A singer may be able to sing all types of music, but they can't sing everything with the same level of comfortability and "fit".  And as the Bon Jovi and Barry Gibb weeks shown, sometimes there's really no good song to choose.

I would really like to see true individual talents show their individual talents.  I would have loved to hear Lakisha rip into a Gospel song.  I would have loved to hear Melinda sing something she keeps in her proverbial back pocket.  Heck, I even think Chris Richardson had one or two great performances/songs in him that he never got a chance to show.

And remember when "Idol" started off, and they were concentrating more of the repertoire choices from the music of the 1950s-1980s?  Even "Idol" has reinvented itself to keep with today's music scene.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:58:10 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2007, 11:54:58 AM »

And I'm just wondering if the contestants get any cut from the performance downloads from the "Idol" sight.  Something tells me they're not getting anything.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2007, 11:55:51 AM »

Hmm... The sky has clouded over, and the temp has certainly cooled down a bit over the past hour...  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2007, 11:58:49 AM »

Skip is getting  a lift to Costco.  Toby and Dylan asked him to buy treats in bulk.

I need to go to Costco today, too.  I have to get kitty litter and dry cat food.  I'm totally out of both...actually, my cat is out. ::) She eats the food and uses the litter every day! :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2007, 12:05:33 PM »

His first song Tuesday night was "amped" to enhance the vocal.  He and Jordin, both, relied heavily upon backup singers in one or more of their songs...so much so that it was difficult to hear that vocal glitches were beng covered.

Well, the vocal for "Roxanne" was basically the original "Police" track, and I have a sense that the producers had more to do with the "amped" sound rather than Blake.

...And didn't Melinda have back-up singers during "I'm A Woman"?

...And just why do they have to have the back-up singers in the first place?  And, again, I'm pretty sure that's more a producer's choice rather than one made by the contestants.  -Heck, they have back-up vocals during Hollywood week.

...And just like it is in most theatres today, the mix is not determined by the people singing on stage, nor by the person waving his baton in the pit.  It's all in the hands and ears of the person at the soundboard.  -Remember that amazingly out of tune fiddle player that one week?  That LOUD out of tune fiddle player?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2007, 12:15:59 PM »

DR Danise - The fact that you still manage to take a few moments here and there to check in here at HHW shows that you have more things under control than you think.  You know when you take a break, and you know when you should be right next to your mother.  Even if you don't make a trip home to check on the dogs (and the mail), I do hope you at least get outside to take a brief walk just to get some fresh air.  And naps are good too.

Continued ~~~~~VIBES~~~~~ to you and your mother.
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2007, 12:22:54 PM »

OK.

Color me CLEWless.

I just had to do some research on the Internet to find out what "beat boxing" is.

And now I know!   :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2007, 12:41:19 PM »

DR singdaw - RE: Your soon-to-be-in-your-household DVR cable box...

How many hours will yours store?

And, remember, never hit the Square Blue Button!

;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 12:44:07 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2007, 12:54:16 PM »

Well, they tell me it can record up to 2 other shows [while I'm watching a third], and that it can hold up to 100 hours of non-HD programming.

So that sounds pretty good, right?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up