Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HUNCHBACK OF STUDIO CITY  (Read 43512 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE HUNCHBACK OF STUDIO CITY
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2008, 10:37:32 AM »

I am not planning on serving der Brucer pasta for dinner tonight.

Since my shift doesn't end until ten o'clock, I've planned a simple plate of steak, tater tots, and zucchini.

der Brucer shouldn't be having these late-night dinners at this point in his life.

He should cook something early on and then pack a picnic basket and bring it to your workplace for you both to share!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2008, 10:38:24 AM »

One of the nicest pasta dishes I've ever had was broccoli and bow-tie pasta in a light white Parmesan sauce.  It would also work well with orichette.

In place of the bow-ties, not the broccoli.  Bow-ties and orichette would be redundant.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »

That would be true, Ron, if he were keeping normal hours.

These days, he's spending more time like a vampire, sleeping through the day and working through the night.

My velveteen vampire.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2008, 10:40:46 AM »

Besides, we both prefer my cooking to his.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2008, 10:40:59 AM »

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8] Page 6 [/size][/shadow]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »

That would be true, Ron, if he were keeping normal hours.

These days, he's spending more time like a vampire, sleeping through the day and working through the night.

My velveteen vampire.

:)

FJL

« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2008, 10:41:46 AM »

Ron P- the Michaela in reply #117.  

It sounded like she needed someone to say "And one for Michaela" for her.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2008, 10:43:33 AM »

Michaela "who"?

She was my Comcast technician.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2008, 10:43:36 AM »

I am cleaning house. And boy, does it need it!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »

Monday afternoon greetings!  My delightful day off started with an early breakfast with my retired librarian friend Becky, who's back here for a while between sailing segments with her husband on America's Great Loop.  She brought me some lovely gift items from Columbus, MS, and Apalachicola and Tarpon Springs, FL.  I did errands at Barnes & Noble and Staples and am now home, puttering.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:04:03 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2008, 10:50:06 AM »

Must be DR MBARNUM's go in late day today.

Or he's still playing sick!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2008, 10:52:54 AM »

Monday afternoon greetings!  My delightful day off started with an early breakfast with my retired librarian friend Becky, who's back here for a while between sailing segments with her husband on America's Great Loop.  She brought me some lovely gift items from Columbus, MS, and Apalachacola and Tarpon Springs, FL.  I did errands at Barnes & Noble and Staples and am now home, puttering.

DR Ginny, where's the B&N in Dayton? After I'm incarcerated for killing my lying thief of a brother and Lady Macbeth and no jury finds me guilty, I may need a job.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2008, 10:54:33 AM »

...Maybe I'll flap my arms and fly to the moon.

I recognize that line, DR Elmore!  

There's a state conference for AAUW that's giving me the same kind of fits, compounded by the news I received last Thursday that the deadline for the conference issue of the newsletter is not Jan. 28 (as I'd had on my calendar since last July), but the end of this week.  Can you spell P-A-N-I-C?  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »

TOD: Has anyone yet mentioned ravioli?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: January 07, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »

Hello, everyone.
I've been sitting at my desk for several hours, paying bills and taking care of other personal business items, including several phone calls that needed doing. Ugh! I'm almost a hunchback myself. Next I'll take a walk. It's a lovely day here--60's--a far cry from wind chills of 20 degrees last week.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: January 07, 2008, 10:56:12 AM »

Clothing report:
Jeans, pale green turtleneck, fair isle cartigan.

Ginny

« Reply #166 on: January 07, 2008, 10:56:50 AM »

DR Ginny, where's the B&N in Dayton? After I'm incarcerated for killing my lying thief of a brother and Lady Macbeth and no jury finds me guilty, I may need a job.

DR Elmore, I was at the B&N at Streets of West Chester, which is between here and Cincinnati.  I was stunned to discover that they did not have the January issue of Gourmet, which DR Jose recommended the other day.  There's a Dayton store across from the Dayton Mall.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »

TOD:

I used to love pasta and ate a lot of it. My favorite was fettucini alfredo. However, I have a wheat allergy and found that both the wheat from the pasta and the cream sauce were aggravating my back problems, so pasta is now on my endangered species list.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2008, 10:59:44 AM »

BK, I thought you were eating lots of halibut. So good for the diet!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2008, 11:00:36 AM »

Off to take a walk, have lunch, and browse through the bookstore.

TTFN.

Ginny

« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2008, 11:07:32 AM »

Clothing report:  I left home this morning wearing navy chinos, a short-sleeve navy mock turtleneck, a multicolored cotton tunic sweater, and my denim coat.  I shed the coat between Panera and B&N and traded the sweater for a denim shirt when I got home.  It's weirdly warm here in SW Ohio today - upper 60's - and I opened the sunroof on my car as I was driving home.

Ginny

« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2008, 11:09:40 AM »

DR Jeanne - thanks for commenting on my photo last night!  Also, my bookstore visit today reminded me of another author - Martha Grimes.  And did you know that Laurie King has a new release, titled Touchstone?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:14:05 AM by Ginny »

Ginny

« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2008, 11:18:08 AM »

DR Ben - sorry to hear about your computer.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #173 on: January 07, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And, well, I got up around 9:00 when the door buzzer buzzed - ah, a package from The Good Cook - Guess I forgot to select "Do Not Send" for this month's featured selection.  Then I crawled back into bed for a bit, listed to the radio... next thing I knew, the clock said it was 12:50pm.  Oops. ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Julie

« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2008, 11:19:20 AM »

Hi everyone.
I slept really late today!
I haven't had time yet to go back over the posts I missed - but I just wanted to wish everyone a good, productive, healthy and enjoyable day.

Ben

« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »

After lunch I toddled over (do people still toddle, besides me that is?) over to Academy and found two discs of interest:

Martin & Blane sing Martin and Blane. It's album recorded in 1956 and it was released by DRG in 1994. I have a lot of the "First Name Composer" Sings "Last Name Composer" (Sammy Sings Fain, Cole Sings Porter, etc.) but I didn't know about this one. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

I also found an Archeophone release that should interest Anthony. Archephone specializes in older music and recordings. They have a wonderful series of recordings beginning in 1890 (a two-volume set) and going through various early years (1905, 1915, 1920, etc) with compilations of of popular songs from the specific year. Some of the recordings are speaking pieces as well. The CD I found is a 2-disc release of Nora Bayes and Jack Norworth. 51 Songs on 2 CDs (from the liner notes). Ant has some 78s by Nora Bayes and he has other CDs (which he put together himself) which include Nora Bayes performances. Since we won't have a computer for a couple of weeks we can keep ourselves busy listening to old stuff!

Ben

« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2008, 11:20:49 AM »

Thanks Ginny. I'm just glad we are not freaking about it. There is nothing we can do. It's a new world (a Fiddler on the Roof reference). Electronics. You love 'em and hate 'em.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2008, 11:23:09 AM »

Hi everyone.
I slept really late today!
I haven't had time yet to go back over the posts I missed - but I just wanted to wish everyone a good, productive, healthy and enjoyable day.

Oh...

Hi...

Julie...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2008, 11:24:22 AM »

Nora and Jack - weren't they played by Dennis Morgan and Ann Sheridan...in SHINE ON HARVEST MOON?

I loved the musical numbers in that movie!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2008, 11:24:25 AM »

Here's an interesting recipe I stumbled across a few days ago: Ravioli di Pesce con Pomodorini (Fish Ravioli with Oven-Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce)

For the sauce: put 8 to 10 oz cherry tomatoes in a single layer in a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.  Roast the tomatoes in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes.  Remove and set aside (can be done in advance).

Over medium-high heat, warm 1 T olive oil in a saute pan, add 2 chopped cloves garlic and cook until golden, then add a cup of fish stock and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, and continue until stock is slightly reduced.  Add the roasted tomatoes, stirring over medium heat until the sauce begins to thicken (about 5 minutes).  Correct seasoning, and set aside.

For the filling:  Warm 2 T olive oil in a frying pan, then add 1 chopped leek (white part only) and saute until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.  Add 3/4 lbs fish fillets (cod, scrod, red mullet, rockfish, or lobster meat, cut into 1 inch pieces), reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until fish is opaque throughout, stirring frequently.  (Add a little water to the pan if the fish begins to stick, but the pan should be dry when finished.)  Transfer the fish and leek to a food processor and pulse until it is coarsely chopped - not a paste!  Turn out onto a plate and let cool completely.

To assemble the ravioli: Either use your favorite pasta dough (rolled at the narrowest setting) or won-ton wrappers.  Using either a 2 1/2 or 3 inch cookie cutter or a water glass, cut out at least 28 rounds to make 4 servings.  Place 1 t fish filling in the center of each round.  Brush the edges of the round with a lightly beaten egg yolk, fold the disc in half to form a half-moon, and press the edges to seal.  Repeat until all the fish has been used, and set the raviouli aside on floured kitchen towels or trays.

At long last:  Return the sauce to a low heat.  Bring a large pot of at least 4 qt water and 1 T salt to a rapid boil, add the ravioli and stir briefly.  After 1 to 2 minutes, when the ravioli come to the surface, use a slotted spoon to transfer them to the sauce.  Reserve the pasta water.  Gently turn the ravioli in the sauce to coat, adding a tablespoon of the water at a time if the sauce seems too dry.  Transfer the ravioli to a warmed platter or to individual plates, spooning any additional sauce on top, garnish with fresh basil leaves, and serve.

(No, I haven't tried this yet, but it sure does sound good, and der B has been asking to get more fish in his diet.  My hunch is that not all the ravioli or sauce has to be used at once, and that it might freeze well.  Freeze the ravioli on a tray first, then transfer to a plastic bag.)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Up