Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TRIVIAL PURSUIT  (Read 23056 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:TRIVIAL PURSUIT
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2004, 05:56:24 PM »

Dr MBarnum - I keep meaning to mention that the Byrd Theatre in Richmond will be screening a classic Bollywood movie sometime in the next few weeks.  Unfortunately, I can't remember which one it is - I keep forgetting to jot the title down every time I pass by a poster.  Hopefully, I'll remember this week too.

I also tried checking the theatre's website, but the event is not listed there yet.  However, it's a pretty decent website if you're interested in old movie houses/palaces.

http://www.byrdtheatre.com

And there's also some good general info at:

http://www.cinematreasures.org/theater/334/

-And the Cinema Treasures website is worth a browse on it's own too.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2004, 05:58:07 PM »

So far only one count them one trivia guess.  After all this time of wanting the trivia contest back, I'm shocked, do you hear me, shocked.  I'm also shocked at the blatant disappearance of WEL, who has been in absentia quite a bit of late.  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2004, 06:00:30 PM »

And you office looks very much like mine...papers everywhere!

It usually doesn't look quite this bad -- this is moving mess.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2004, 06:11:02 PM »

Nurse Jane, can that be by the same screenwriter I know and love?  I just ordered it from Netflix.

:D You bet!

François de Paris

« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2004, 06:12:56 PM »

See if you can spot a performer who has recorded for Varese Sarabande under the production of BK.
He's also married to someone who has also recorded for Varese under the production of BK.

M A R R I E D ??????

Say it is not so! :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 06:17:34 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2004, 06:17:02 PM »

It usually doesn't look quite this bad -- this is moving mess.

Moving mess?
Moving mess?

That mess does not move me a bit!! :)

François de Paris

« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2004, 06:21:41 PM »

Well, BK should have told us that he has his own Center now!!

How could he keep that secret!!

May 18 & 20-22, 2005 - Peter Nero and the Philly Pops.  Brent Barrett in Concert with Debbie Gravitte, Rebecca Luker and Ron Raines.  Verizon Hall at the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA.  For tickets call 215-893-1999 or visit www.phillypops.com

Jane

« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2004, 06:27:40 PM »

OH, I just read that Doris Day's son, Terry Melcher, passed away. He was a record producer and also the producer of his mom's TV show THE DORIS DAY SHOW.

That is very, very sad.

Jane

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2004, 06:30:23 PM »

Jason unfortunately nothing can be done about jerks like the one you met.  For the most part I tend to be a good tipper.  One area I tip more generously than I use to be is at a counter when I purchase something small.  I remember the day Craig returned home from working at the candy store and someone had tipped him a dollar.  His excitement was contagious and I give more than my leftover change.  I will admit sometimes I don’t have small bills.

Jason for coats is there a tip jar?

Panni I thought you were Superwoman with your house so in order, until you showed the messy side of the room.    ;D Nice place.

BMarnum, you have trained Freddy well.

Michael

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2004, 06:47:51 PM »

Just came back from the IMAX theater in Fort Lauderdale where I saw The Polar Express. A compact 90 minutes of enjoyment. O think I have enjoyed animated films more than live action films the last few years. Writers and directors please take notice!
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2004, 06:50:09 PM »

I must go out for a bit - let's have some more art discussion, shall we?

Jane

« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2004, 06:56:14 PM »

I didn’t know Terry Melcher co-wrote one of my favorite songs, KOKOMO.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/10233883.htm

Michael

« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2004, 07:05:37 PM »

The answers to the Trivia just came to me. One of the clues was the clincher.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2004, 07:08:39 PM »

Did you know that Terry Melcher owned the house where Sharon Tate and the others were murderd by Charles Manson's gang. There was story going around that Melcher or even Doris Day herself were the actually targets. Manson fancied himself as a singer/composer and as a record producer Melcher turned him down. Manson wanted to kill him and or Doris Day to get revenge. But he didn't realize that Melcher no longer lived there but had rented out the home to Roman Polanski.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 07:09:21 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2004, 07:15:23 PM »

Michael Shayne read the link I posted which mentions that and says Manson did know where Melcher moved to.

Jane

« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2004, 07:33:29 PM »

Penny next time I’m in NY we shall go to museums.  It seems odd the entire time I was there I didn’t walk into a single museum.  Do churches count?

Jose maybe we can go to the National Gallery of Art if you are in DC when I’m in Bethesda or you will join Penny and me in NY if you have moved there by then.  I bet elmore will want to go too.  Anyone else?

I don’t have a favorite artist.  There are many I don’t like.  I was very fond of the Toledo Art Museum and tried to go once a year when we lived outside of Detroit.  When we were in Paris I thought the Louvre and Museé d'Orsay were great.  

It has been awhile and I’m not an expert on Monet so there may be errors in this story.  While in Paris, I believe at the Louvre, we went into a very large room in the basement to see the exhibit of Monet’s ponds.  I could have spent hours in there, four walls containing scenes which, if connected would have made one large painting.  The paintings came to life before my eyes.  As with most people in there I kept moving around the room, alternating between standing and sitting.  We were very lucky it wasn’t crowded that day.

Ginny

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2004, 07:38:25 PM »

Good evening!  I've enjoyed all the pictures lately, especially Jane's lovely park and Panni's beautiful new home.

DR Jason - Happy belated birthday!

I, too, finished reading Writer's Block last night and found it very intriguing.  It reminded me of one of those puzzles we had as kids that was a picture of one thing on a piece of paper and, when you folded it just right, it became a picture of something else.  The demo CD is a delightful bonus feature.

Art-wise, I've collected images of women reading for many years.  Some of them are on the website I maintain for my book group at  www.orgsites.com/oh/joyluckclub.  Guess my collection started with a print of Fragonard's Young Girl Reading, which I bought at the National Gallery.  I like Mary Cassatt and Renoir and Vermeer.

Much different and more contemporary, I'm very fond of Mark Tobey's city paintings, with his signature "white writing."  His  Broadway Melody, at The University of Michigan Museum of Art in Ann Arbor, was the topic of a (bad) analysis I wrote for a college paper.  I've just recently discovered that he and I share a birth date (60 years apart).

Favorite museums:  Detroit Institute of Arts, where I spent many hours as a teenager (oh, the Diego Rivera mural!), and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.  DR Charles Pogue, you might be interested to know that the Cincinnati Art Museum is now FREE to all at all times, thanks to a generous gift from the Rosenthal Foundation.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2004, 07:38:54 PM »

I spent most of the afternoon in town today.  Just before returning home I picked up food to go at a new Chinese restaurant in town.  To our great relief we enjoyed our dinner very much.  This may sound like a boring any day event to most of you.  But for us, after six years of living here, we finally have a Chinese restaurant we will return to after sampling their food. :D

Jane

« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2004, 07:42:08 PM »

Ginny did you notice, I mentioned a museum in Ohio, not the DIA?  I did see many a nice exhibit at the DIA (Detroit Institute of Art for those who wouldn't know).

Danise

« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2004, 07:43:11 PM »

Evening folks!

I have been a very, very, very bad girl.  I went to the mall and  I spent like there was no tomorrow.  

Then I came home and used my DeepDiscount DVD code, (SUPERSALE) and bought and bought and bought.  

Man, am I tired.  Spending money is hard work.   :D

I am pleased to say the major bulk of my holiday gift buying is done.  

As far as art goes, I can't really say anything.  I know what I like but I really don't know much about it.  Some of the  "Masterpieces " look like junk to me.   :D  

Nice place you've got there, Panni!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2004, 07:43:16 PM »

Jane - It can be very difficult to find good Chinese food, I think.  Some of it is really BAD.  I have to watch out for MSG, too, which gives me a sick headache.  Glad you have found a place you like.

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2004, 07:46:57 PM »

DR ELMORE - thanks so much for the music.  It arrived today and is resting in a safe place.  I owe you one - or two!

Well, DRJRand54, you're quite welcome!  I'm sorry it took so long.

When a certain star was doing THE RINK, after shows she'd hang out at the West Bank, a restaurant at Manhattan Plaza (43rd and 9th), so stoned that she'd stay way past closing, as she was friendly with the owner, keeping the staff on call until she left.  They said she never left a tip and they all loathed her.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2004, 07:48:19 PM »

LONGTIME COMPANION is one of the all-time great dramas and for me a guaranteed tear-jerker. A beautiful, emotionally devastating film.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2004, 07:49:28 PM »

Oh, I forgot to tell you about the lovely birds I saw today.  I wish I had my camera with me.

They were some kind crane.  

You should have seen the dance they were doing.  And they had the funniest cry.  Like an off key saxophone.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 07:50:50 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2004, 07:50:40 PM »

Well, DRJRand54, you're quite welcome!  I'm sorry it took so long.

When a certain star was doing THE RINK, after shows she'd hang out at the West Bank, a restaurant at Manhattan Plaza (43rd and 9th), so stoned that she'd stay way past closing, as she was friendly with the owner, keeping the staff on call until she left.  They said she never left a tip and they all loathed her.

And I'd be willing to bet it wasn't Chita Rivera.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2004, 07:52:01 PM »

I can't believe I never got around to a DVD film today. I was two episodes from finishing the FRIENDS set, and then I had reading, and some saved TV shows on the DVR, and phone calls, and rehearsing, and, well, it's just been a busy day.

Danise

« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2004, 07:52:33 PM »

Penny next time I’m in NY we shall go to museums.  It seems odd the entire time I was there I didn’t walk into a single museum.  Do churches count?

Don't feel bad, Jane.  I didn't go to any museums either.  I would like have gone to the Natural History Museum and if I ever go back I will make it a point to visit it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 08:07:11 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2004, 07:56:45 PM »

I've just returned from Almodovar's new film BAD EDUCATION,  which I enjoyed immensely.  It reminded me in many ways of WRITER'S BLOCK, twists, turns, a little Hitchcock and a score that reminded me at times of Bernard Herrmann.  Quite a wonderful film.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2004, 07:57:42 PM »

Thanks Ginny.  With all my allergies MSG doesn't bother me at all, or I don't notice the difference.  Keith on the otherhand gets very stuffed up from it.  He seems fine so I guess they don't use much there.  

Danise

« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2004, 08:04:02 PM »

Gee, Jason, I'm really sorry to read about what you had to put up with that jerk.

I find tipping a bit confusing because I never know when or if I should should or how much I should to not seem cheep but then I don't want give away the bank either.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 08:09:33 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up