Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: YIDSPAN  (Read 6367 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: YIDSPAN
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2019, 03:08:38 PM »

I am recovering from a cold I picked up at the Super Bowl Party. I was playing board games with the precious children. And one of them was coughing on me.

Oh, no!

~~~Get Well Quickly Vibes for Laura!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2019, 03:10:25 PM »

I had a busy day yesterday, then last night learned that an old friend from my programming days died yesterday. Sigh. We hadn't talked in ages, but I still thought of him as a good friend. I now feel like I've been hit by a truck. I've lost far too many friends in the last ten years.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2019, 03:10:56 PM »

I am recovering from a cold I picked up at the Super Bowl Party. I was playing board games with the precious children. And one of them was coughing on me.

Oh, no!

~~~Get Well Quickly Vibes for Laura!!~~~

Ditto. Think Sambucol.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2019, 03:11:24 PM »

Vibes to TCB's brother-in-law.

George

« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »

When I left City Center. it was slushy and very slippery.  Joshie had stepped outside with me to get lunch, and he walked me to the bus stop to be sure I didn't fall.  I am very fortunate to have such a wonderful surrogate son.

That's so sweet of Josh to do that.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2019, 03:12:23 PM »

I had a busy day yesterday, then last night learned that an old friend from my programming days died yesterday. Sigh. We hadn't talked in ages, but I still thought of him as a good friend. I now feel like I've been hit by a truck. I've lost far too many friends in the last ten years.

Jeanne, I'm so sorry.  My condolences to you and his family. :(

George

« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2019, 03:13:26 PM »

And now, I'm off.  Pray for Rosemary's Baby. ;)

Until later!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2019, 03:16:19 PM »

I went to the Goodwill, but I didn't spend enough to get my $5 off - maybe I will next week.  Stopped by Dollar Tree....and spent less than $10.

I don't think I've ever spent less than $10 at Dollar Tree. I always stock up. I try to keep errands to a minimum.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2019, 03:18:01 PM »

Jeanne, I'm so sorry.  My condolences to you and his family. :(

Thank you, George.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2019, 03:22:42 PM »

TOD:
I took three years of Latin and three years of Spanish in high school, then another year or so of French in college. I'm not at all fluent, but I've always been able to get along in foreign countries. I used to be able to read easy French, such as People magazine, but doubt that I could still do so. I've often thought that I'd like to get back to French, but somehow I never have time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »

DR CHAS SMITH I actually enjoyed the SHREK Broadway DVD.....and I guess it's for me the difference between Disney and Dreamworks.....Disney movies seem so dismally alike to me...and SHREK is very ...  different!  And it helps that I like the songs and the story.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2019, 03:24:47 PM »

Yes, DR JANE - that's it the Shingles vaccine....maybe next month.  If it wasn't going to have a low co-pay, I was going to pass....but for $8.50, I'll go ahead.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2019, 03:29:07 PM »

On a related topic,
last week I was at the nearby salad bar eatery and asked the cashier about one of their staff. The cashier gave me a blank stare. I asked again. This time she replied, "Sorry," the said nothing more. Thinking she didn't know much English, I asked again, this time in Spanish. She then told me, in perfect English, that that person no longer worked there. I was shocked, as the person I'd inquired after practically ran the place. I've experienced this before: ask in English and you get nowhere. Ask in Spanish and you receive a reply. 

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2019, 03:32:56 PM »

In Quebec I've often enjoyed hearing people start a conversation in French, then switch to English for a while, then back to French. So many people are bilingual that they think nothing of it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2019, 03:38:59 PM »

Vibes to all.

TTFN.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2019, 03:53:31 PM »

Condolences for the loss of your friend DR JEANNE.

When we were in Toronto in the 1960's.....when we got into an elevator, people would be speaking English....and when the doors closed, they would start speaking in French....EVERY TIME....LOL

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2019, 05:01:42 PM »

He is also replacing our kitchen faucet, soap dish, and instant hot water tap which were all falling apart.  The faucet was peeling so bad it cut my finger the other day.

Yikes!  That's great that they're replacing the items for you.

We had to pay for it-lol

We got new styles and are very happy with the way it looks.  The old falling apart ones looked rather shabby and unattractive, plus these works much, much better.

Jane

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2019, 05:04:12 PM »

On a related topic,
last week I was at the nearby salad bar eatery and asked the cashier about one of their staff. The cashier gave me a blank stare. I asked again. This time she replied, "Sorry," the said nothing more. Thinking she didn't know much English, I asked again, this time in Spanish. She then told me, in perfect English, that that person no longer worked there. I was shocked, as the person I'd inquired after practically ran the place. I've experienced this before: ask in English and you get nowhere. Ask in Spanish and you receive a reply. 

Interesting.  We have had this happen out of the country though not speaking the language it was more difficult to get a response.  I have a real issue with people in Los Angeles who are critical of me because I don't speak Spanish, and this is nothing new. 

Jane

« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2019, 05:05:01 PM »

Yes, DR JANE - that's it the Shingles vaccine....maybe next month.  If it wasn't going to have a low co-pay, I was going to pass....but for $8.50, I'll go ahead.

From what I am hearing be sure you allow a few days after the shot to rest, just in case you have a reaction.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2019, 05:06:46 PM »

DR Jeanne I am sorry for the loss of your friend.  Even when we are not in recent contact with people it can hit us hard.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2019, 05:59:49 PM »

I wish I would stop sneezing.  This has been going on all afternoon and is getting worse.

KevinH

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2019, 07:10:31 PM »

Good evening!

KevinH

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2019, 07:16:17 PM »

I'm back from NYC.   I saw "Call Me Madam" on Sunday and enjoyed it very much.  It's not a great show, but a lot of fun.  I thought Carmen Cusack was good and especially liked Lauren Worsham and Jason Gotay (such great voices).  Carol Kane and Darrell Hammond were very funny in small roles in the second act.

KevinH

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2019, 07:20:26 PM »

I mentioned some time ago that I had applied for Global Entry.  I finally had an appointment set up for January in DC.  It was cancelled , I guess because of the shutdown..  After the government reopened there were no appointments available in the near future.  It dawned on me that I could make an appointment elsewhere so I checked the NYC location (U.S. Customs House, which is downtown).  I was able to get an appointment for yesterday.  It took about 5 minutes and now I have Global Entry and TSA Precheck. 

KevinH

« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2019, 07:27:37 PM »

The reason for my trip was to see the 40th Anniversary benefit performance (for the Actors Fund) of "They're  Playing Our Song."  Original cast members Lucie Arnaz, Robert Klein and Debbie Gravitte along with Hugh Panaro and others.  It was really great.  Robert Klein used his script a lot of the time but was still hilarious and put his songs over well.  And Lucie was terrific. The orchestra was great,  with Larry Blank conducting.  He was also with the original production.

KevinH

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2019, 07:30:13 PM »

TOD:  English semi-fluently.

3 years of high school French, 2 years college Spanish.   Still remember a few words.

KevinH

« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2019, 07:32:15 PM »

Feel better soon, DR Laura!

KevinH

« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2019, 07:42:35 PM »

My condolences, DR Jeanne.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2019, 07:47:12 PM »

The reason for my trip was to see the 40th Anniversary benefit performance (for the Actors Fund) of "They're  Playing Our Song."  Original cast members Lucie Arnaz, Robert Klein and Debbie Gravitte along with Hugh Panaro and others.  It was really great.  Robert Klein used his script a lot of the time but was still hilarious and put his songs over well.  And Lucie was terrific. The orchestra was great,  with Larry Blank conducting.  He was also with the original production.

I would have loved to have seen that.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2019, 07:47:50 PM »

My sympathies, Jeanne.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up