Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: BRAGGADOCIO  (Read 35059 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BRAGGADOCIO
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2006, 09:45:38 AM »

How can THAT Amy Adams not be using her middle initial, when OUR Amy Adams has been around much longer?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2006, 09:46:52 AM »

Before I head back to bed, don't anyone let me forget that der B has arranged for our tix to Shenandoah at the Ford's Theater, in DC.  I need to make sure of the date, and arrange for the day off at work.

The Ford's is where der B and I saw Children of Eden, and first met DR Jose in person.  We brought him roses.  He told us about a very nice French bistro across the street, where we happily dined.  We plan on dining there again.  Jose is being blamed, of course, correctly and with pleasure.

Meanwhile, der B caught sight of a poster for Wicked, which will be playing in Philly very soon.  On line, he has discovered that the only tix left for the very limited run are for restricted view seats - not acceptable, in our minds.  The promoters of Wicked are playing their cards quite correctly, by having the show play highly limited runs in each city, making tix almost impossible to acquire.  So much for a former poster's insistance that those of us outside of NYC should wait for the show to appear in our areas and not ask for a synopsis of the show (in otherwords, ask for spoilers).

Another trip to NYC may be in order.  Maybe in tandem with Lestat?

Oh... I could have arranged Shenandoah tickets for you.  -Since I played auditions for the show...  In any case...

I'm gonna try to sneak back down here to catch the show in previews myself.

As for Wicked... Regardless of what a former poster may have said, I'd say see Wicked in NYC.  The touring version is quite good, but the physical production is obviously scaled down for practical reasons.  In NYC, the show basically surrounds you.

However, the touring cast is quite good, and I would love to see Julia Murney as Elphaba when she steps into the show - which I believe is very soon.  DR Ginny will be seeing her in Cincy.

And if you want house seats for Lestat... Well, I think I might know someone who can put a request in for you.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2006, 09:48:20 AM »

Last night's Oscars:  I have always believed, despite just about everything else, that the "winners" were secret until the envelopes were opened.

What tipped me off that this has changed was the presentation of the original score awards.  First, the orchestra and Itzhak Perlman perform selections from the nominated scores in REVERSE order, ENDING with "Brokeback Mountain."  Then, there's the "not-so-obvious" choice of a Latina presenting the award -- FOR MUSIC SCORE.  Could they have TELEGRAPHED the winner any more obviously?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2006, 09:48:53 AM »

I-n-t-r-o-s-p-e-c-t-i-o-n -- I'm told it does a body good.

Ooohh... That was one my favorite "School House Rocks"!

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2006, 09:50:15 AM »

How can THAT Amy Adams not be using her middle initial, when OUR Amy Adams has been around much longer?

AEA vs. SAG
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2006, 09:50:56 AM »

At the time they walked off the stage, the winners of Documentary -- Short had me grinning.  They were so over-the-top and so....French.  But, they were a highlight for me...very grateful and funny.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 09:51:15 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2006, 09:55:49 AM »

HMMMM actually the first thing that comes to mind is Man of All Seasons.....

I'll have to think on this

I went to "St. Thomas More Elementary School" for 1st, 5th (last half), 6th, 7th 8th Grades...

We saw that movie each year.  Sometimes twice.  Quite heady subject matter for a 12-year old.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2006, 09:56:12 AM »

Oh, sorry... That pun was not intentional.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2006, 10:00:02 AM »

And back to the Wicked tour for a sec...

Yes, the producers have been very smart in regards to booking limited runs in each city.  The DC engagement sold out in seven hours!  Even the Company House Seats were extremely limited during the course of their run at the Kennedy Center.  Of course, I'm sure that Wicked will be returning for another "Limited Engagement" in the 2007-08 season.  -And the show is already booking return engagements to LA and Denver in the coming year.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2006, 10:03:41 AM »

*Oh!  And two "return engagements" that have been announced for the Kennedy Center next season...

The Phantom of the Opera - I think it will be the fourth time the show has come back there.

However, the one event I'm most excited about:

Sweeney Todd: The Reunion Concert - This will be a reunion of the Sondheim Celebration cast which starred Brian Stokes Mitchell and Christine Baranski.  -And I was one of the rehearsal pianists.  -Oh, and Hugh Panaro was Anthony in that production - I guess both of us may be taking a night off from Lestat next spring.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2006, 10:04:54 AM »

Wow, 41 pages of posts.  I'm going to assume they are fabulous and move on!  I'll have to think about the TOD for a bit.  For now... work.  

DR Jose, have you ever played a production of "Miss Saigon"?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2006, 10:06:18 AM »

Now they're having a "reunion concert" of an event that happened what, two years ago?  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2006, 10:07:43 AM »

Wow, 41 pages of posts.  I'm going to assume they are fabulous and move on!  I'll have to think about the TOD for a bit.  For now... work.  

DR Jose, have you ever played a production of "Miss Saigon"?

No.  But I learned the book.  LOTS of notes.  Quite the workout.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2006, 10:09:11 AM »

Now they're having a "reunion concert" of an event that happened what, two years ago?  

Well, the Sondheim Celebration was in 2002...  By 2007, it will be five years ago.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2006, 10:11:49 AM »

No.  But I learned the book.  LOTS of notes.  Quite the workout.

Thanks.  I'm assiisting on the show and the MD and I are looking for ways to reduce the orchestration - it's overly orchestrated to begin with, not that it's "messy" or anything, it's quite lovely, but too much for the theatre were in with a BAD sound designer.  Thought you'd might have some suggestions, but it's cool :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2006, 10:15:07 AM »

Thanks.  I'm assiisting on the show and the MD and I are looking for ways to reduce the orchestration - it's overly orchestrated to begin with, not that it's "messy" or anything, it's quite lovely, but too much for the theatre were in with a BAD sound designer.  Thought you'd might have some suggestions, but it's cool :)

How many "books" are they sending out?  I thought the "small" pit version was available - it's what they're using on the current(?) tour (non-Eq).  However, that version does require a virtual orchestra machine, so..  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2006, 10:16:33 AM »

However, keep in mind that it's basically a pop/rock show.  Start with your piano, keyboard, bass and drums and percussion(!) and expand out from there.  -And, yes, you will need a "solo saxophone".
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2006, 10:16:37 AM »

How many "books" are they sending out?  I thought the "small" pit version was available - it's what they're using on the current(?) tour (non-Eq).  However, that version does require a virtual orchestra machine, so..  :-\

I'm assuming we're getting the full orcehstration.  Oh, and those Vortual Orchestra things really scare me... the concept anyway!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2006, 10:17:42 AM »

And speaking of the Kennedy Center, I just received this bit of info from them:

The Golden Gala concert will feature Plácido Domingo and a roster of the most acclaimed stars of the opera world, among them Anna Netrebko, Juan Diego Flórez, Denyce Graves, Salvatore Licitra, Elizabeth Futral, Samuel Ramey, Anja Kampe, Paul Groves, John Matz, Alan Held, and Carlos Álvarez. Crowning the on-stage festivities will be the world premiere of "The Audition," a musical theater piece in the style of an "opera spuffo" by composer Marvin Hamlisch and librettist Sheldon Harnick, starring Broadway diva Kristin Chenoweth and Plácido Domingo.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2006, 10:23:33 AM »

elmore, the class isn't rigid but is mostly about interpretation, acting a song - we're about to work on scenes that lead into songs or songs that have interior dialogue in them - but I'd like to do some sort of lecture tomorrow about something.

Here's a thought:  although the productions are often rather tacky and amateurish, when I go to see the Ohio Light Opera do operetta, from FLEDERMAUS (1874) to THE NEW MOON (1928), I like the fact that everything is played sincerely and for its reality.  Too often, in New York, operetta gets camped because of its high-flown gestures and romantic attitudes:  when City Opera prevented THE NEW MOON and THE DESERT SONG directed by Robert Johanson, the romantic plots were so camped up for their silliness that the actual comedy roles were completely over the top with shrill posturing soubrettes and ultra-nelly comedians.  How does one deal today with texts and attitudes of another time?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2006, 10:27:13 AM »

I'm assuming we're getting the full orcehstration.  Oh, and those Vortual Orchestra things really scare me... the concept anyway!

I just checked over at MTI's site...  18 pieces, three of which are Keyboard Books.  Looks like they just cut down on the strings.  However, the percussion books look like the originals:

Percussion 1:   Gamelan, Tympani, Large Tam-Tam, Crotales, Glockenspiel, Vibraphone, Xylophone, Ching, Large Odaiko, Bell Plate, Tsusumi, Hindu Bells, Kin, Tibetan Skull Drum, Marimba, Mokugyo, Tambourine, Suspended Cymbal, Coin Clapper, Thai Bell Tree, Odaiko, Tubaphone

Percussion 2:   Thai Bell Tree, Large Odaiko, Gran Cassa, Kyeezee, Drum Kit, Toms, Chinese Cymbal, Small Sustaining Cymbal, Piccolo Wood Block, Xylophone, Tsusumi, Hi-Hat, Mark Tree, Sistrum, Suspended Cymbal, Kin, Marimba, Tam-Tam, Chest Rattle, Gongs, Small Wood Blocks

That's a LOT of doubles!  -And if I remember correctly, when the show was running in NYC, the percussion players were some of the highest paid pit players due to the number of doubles they each had.  -It was also "infamous" for being an amazingly physical book, but it was also fascinating to watch each player in their respective "cages".
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 10:28:43 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2006, 10:28:56 AM »

For the class, my suggestion is the old HHW standby that we love to discuss....the Eleven O'Clock number, the best and the worst....why they work, why they are needed....

Or title songs - some are sung by title characters, some are sung by the chorus, and some are sung by supporting characters....best and worst.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2006, 10:35:37 AM »

Que es un opera spuffo?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2006, 10:37:08 AM »

WBBL

Oh DR MATTH thanks for the info yesterday about the upcoming SUPERMAN the series DVD release of the next two seasons....I was thinking they would put the last ones together someway.  That will be 3/4 and won't they also have 5/6?

FJL

« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2006, 10:40:27 AM »

Jose - When you were in school, was the song "More More More" played over the loudspeaker a lot?  I always thought of Sir Thomas More when I heard that song.

FJL

« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2006, 10:42:01 AM »

Andrea True - now there was a girl for all seasons.

FJL

« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2006, 10:44:14 AM »

Very well connected, that Andrea True.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2006, 10:55:33 AM »

Last night's Oscars:  I have always believed, despite just about everything else, that the "winners" were secret until the envelopes were opened.

What tipped me off that this has changed was the presentation of the original score awards.  First, the orchestra and Itzhak Perlman perform selections from the nominated scores in REVERSE order, ENDING with "Brokeback Mountain."  Then, there's the "not-so-obvious" choice of a Latina presenting the award -- FOR MUSIC SCORE.  Could they have TELEGRAPHED the winner any more obviously?
Oooh!  A conspiracy!

Except that writing the arrangment (and orchestration) for the suite takes time.  

This probably conflicts with when the ballots are due from the voters.  Having been involved with ballot counting (although not for the Oscars), I can assure you that the counting takes a very short amount of time.

I could be wrong, but perhaps DR Pogue can tell us how late the ballots can be accepted.  My hunch is that they will be accepted until very close to the ceremony itself.

I found the segment with Perlman to be an innovative way of presenting the musical score nominees.  The order in which the nominees were given showed Perlman to his best advantage, first primarily as a soloist and, as the suite progressed, more and more as a part of the orchestral whole.  I did not find the order odd at all.

Oh, by the way, Salma Hayek is from Veracruz, Mexico.  Gustavo Santaolalla is Argentinian.  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 10:59:41 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2006, 10:59:29 AM »

I have to comment on the touring Wicked as well-- You know I just saw the one that came through Tampa in January and I also thought the NY version was better.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2006, 11:03:27 AM »

Jose - When you were in school, was the song "More More More" played over the loudspeaker a lot?  I always thought of Sir Thomas More when I heard that song.

Umm... No.

But there was that folk setting of the "Hail Mary".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up