Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS MODERN WORLD  (Read 19910 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THIS MODERN WORLD
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2004, 08:34:59 PM »

I know THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE had quite a few real fans here at HHW, and I'm truly happy you folks enjoyed it. I found it inspired but not to my liking.

Tonight, I broke out the Anjelica Huston THE WITCHES. It's one of those Warners budget DVDs meaning it was done pan and scan with no effort to mount a DVD edition that celebrated the film in any way. Anyway, even with the lack of an anamorphic transfer, it looked fine and was quite entertaining. I guess I was in a fantasy mood today with THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE and THE WITCHES. I got a little more down to earth watching some DICK VAN DYKE SHOW - Season 3 episodes before MONK came on.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 08:35:56 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2004, 08:35:30 PM »

Late night Trivia:

The films The Flamingo Kid & the film Henry and June have something in common. What is it?
Easy. They're both films of which I have neither seen nor heard.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2004, 08:38:15 PM »

Late night Trivia:

The films The Flamingo Kid & the film Henry and June have something in common. What is it?

I know I liked both of them, but didn't know they had anything in common. I know HENRY AND JUNE was the first film rated NC-17. Don't know anything trivial about THE FLAMINGO KID.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2004, 08:40:15 PM »

[sigh] Due to the holiday weekend next weekend, MONK's next episode is a rerun from the second season. Argh! Two episodes into the new season, and we're already getting reruns!

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2004, 08:41:30 PM »

And speaking of rain, we are truly waterlogged here. It's rained every day this week, and they're predicting rain on Saturday and Sunday, too. Anybody got an ark handy?

François de Paris

« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2004, 08:41:48 PM »

The Flamingo Kid?

Well worth meeting, IMHO!

Never met Henry and June though!

François de Paris

« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2004, 08:43:55 PM »

Oh, Oh... Henry and June...

Me thinks it has something to do with Kevin Spacey....

François de Paris

« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2004, 08:46:25 PM »

Oooops.... thought the quiz was from... Tomovoz!
Sorry!

I guess... The Flamingo Kid IS Michael Shayne who lives in Florida, unless Danise goes by that name too!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2004, 08:46:31 PM »

NEWS FLASH!  DR Jose can DANCE!

(We have only begun to explore the man's talents!)

;)

Actually, I was the dance captain for a show once - mainly because I was the only one who could actually watch everyone on stage - and notice who was out of step.  -I also just like playing rehearsals, dance rehearsals especially - I guess I learn the steps by "osmosis".  *And at most auditions, I'll usually attempt to learn the dance combination(s) depending upon their level of difficulty.  It's a great way to stretch my legs after sitting down for a while.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2004, 08:51:54 PM »

I know I liked both of them, but didn't know they had anything in common. I know HENRY AND JUNE was the first film rated NC-17. Don't know anything trivial about THE FLAMINGO KID.

Correct. And the Flamingo Kid was the first pg-13 film although Red Dawn was released first
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2004, 08:55:24 PM »

And speaking of rain, we are truly waterlogged here. It's rained every day this week, and they're predicting rain on Saturday and Sunday, too. Anybody got an ark handy?

Ah, so you're getting all the rain.  The past couple of days have been very gray and cloudy here in Richmond, and the forecast has been for rain every day this week at some point during the day.  However, at least in the part of Richmond where I live, we've only had a few sprinkles.  But just a mile and a half away, they had buckets coming down.  Even tonight, I felt a few sprinkles on my arm during my walk, but when I got home, I was talking with a friend who lives across town, and he got a good soaking.  We shall see if the pattern continues tomorrow.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2004, 09:03:03 PM »

Correct. And the Flamingo Kid was the first pg-13 film although Red Dawn was released first

And "The Flamingo Kid" also had Matt Dillon in it too!  *Actually, I remember the PG-13 rating made it a "must-see" amongst my high school friends - or was I still in middle school at the time?  Hmm... In any case, we all wanted to see what "gave" the film a PG-13 rating.
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2004, 09:04:15 PM »

You're right Michael; I remember I could not go and see Flamingo Kid back in 1984!!! LOL!

But I sneeked in for SPLASH.

Hey? What ever happened of Janet Jones?

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2004, 09:06:15 PM »

RED DAWN was a truly awful movie, I thought, but I did enjoy THE FLAMINGO KID. I knew RED DAWN had the distinction of being the first PG-13 film released. I didn't know there was another that got the rating first.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2004, 09:16:30 PM »

Good Evening!

I went to CompUSA to look at a possible new computer, and I was amazed at just how much non-computer stuff they sell now.  DVD players, flat screen TVs (plasma and LCD), digital cameras, etc.  It actually took me a few twists and turns among the aisles to find the computers.  And even once I found them, the selection was no where near what I remember it used to be.  I didn't buy anything, but I did take some notes, and at least now I know what's out there more or less.

After that short shopping excursion, it was off to school to practice.  Three hours!!!  And I got another Chopin prelude memorized!!  Yippee!  -And the three hours actually went by pretty fast too.

-However, on the way in, I happened to be entering the building at the same time as the person who sent me "the e-mail" the other night.  I was thinking the timing could not have been more perfect.  Unfortunately, his hands were full with a tray of cups from Starbucks, and he was doing the hands-free thing with his cell phone, so... But at least there was some eye-to-eye contact for what it was worth - if anything.  I lingered for a little bit just in case his phone call was about to end, but after a few seconds I just went on with my own business and headed down to the studio.

Then it was off to the grocery store, and I actually bought some groceries this time instead of just "junk".  I'm looking forward to doing some cooking this weekend.  *I opted for Chinese take-out tonight - Hot & Sour Soup, Egg Roll, Hunan Chicken and Pork Fried Rice (it was a combo).

Oh, and I also got a good three mile walk in tonight too.  It was nice to get out of the apartment for a while.

Well, that's today's "dear diary" entry...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2004, 09:28:33 PM »

I love computer shopping on-line. The selection is SO wide.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2004, 09:28:47 PM »

DO NOT PATRONIZE NON-UNION TOURING SHOWS!  Wait till it comes to a community theatre near you.

The sad thing about  those three former Equity actors in the two-week tour of MISS SAIGON is that by leaving the Union for a short-term gain, they are going to have a real hard time having sustaining careers in their profession and have denied themselves any benefits they might have accrued under a Union contract.  Particular the Asian (and if any of the other are Asian as well), as there are few enough Asian roles around and career longevity is already problematic.

Of course, the real tragedy is do we really need another two-week run in LA of a show that was unmitigated, overblown, tedious crap the first time round?
I had dinner tonight with a fellow who, some years ago, played the lead in a non-union national tour.  Mr. Pogue should be happy to know he's since joined the union.  And now, he's playing exactly the same role.  In a union production.  For less money than he made when he did the non-union tour.  Plus Equity takes 2% of his meagre salary.  And, since it's a short(ish) gig, he gets no health benefits.

Actors Equity Association does more to stop theatre from getting produced than any single entity I know of.  Rather than helping its membership by helping more shows get on the boards, its operatives spend an inordinate amount of time trying to convince people that non-union shows aren't as good as Equity shows.

If only this were so!  I gather it's been many years since Mr. Pogue has acted, so perhaps he's unaware of the current state of things.  The stars of the first national Miss Saigon found they couldn't support themselves taking nothing but Equity roles, so they both quit the union.  I can't say I blame them.

I thank Der Brucer for quoting that informative article.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2004, 09:42:27 PM »

How old is Max Morath?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2004, 10:01:26 PM »

FRANCOIS....Janet Jones is now Mrs. Wayne Gretzky, the hockey star...although that may be changing any moment now.

TOMOVOZ....Ambrose....hehehehehehe.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2004, 10:02:52 PM »

I assumed right Jack. Just keep walking?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2004, 10:03:29 PM »

DRJOSE...did you put up your 3x5 card about your books?   Leave it on the piano where the books were left.....  My guess is the person doesn't realize the value of what he has.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2004, 10:03:58 PM »

LOL Make tracks...make tracks.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2004, 10:10:46 PM »

DRJOSE...did you put up your 3x5 card about your books?   Leave it on the piano where the books were left.....  My guess is the person doesn't realize the value of what he has.  

I left a large note taped to the piano... Tomorrow it will be a week since they went missing... I'm hoping that the person who took them is a Saturday morning practice/lesson person, and that they'll be back on the piano tomorrow afternoon.  -And for all I know, my teacher could have borrowed them.  ;)  -But I'm pretty sure she would have left a note telling me that she did.

We shall see.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 10:13:26 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2004, 10:23:57 PM »

OK - Time for me to become a Wussburger...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2004, 10:37:35 PM »

My fingers are crossed for you DRJOSE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2004, 10:38:23 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....we never heard back from MBARNUM....exactly how long does lunch with Rhodes Reason take?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2004, 10:39:49 PM »

Sleepy time here as well.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2004, 10:46:22 PM »

U.S. Weekly to Boy George (some years ago):  "What would you like to come back as if you were reincarnated?"

Boy George:  "Matt Dillon's underwear."
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2004, 11:17:16 PM »

Great line in the comic strip Pibgorn:

"Here, justice is always swift...we have short attention spans."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2004, 11:26:02 PM »

How old is Max Morath?
According to the bio I found, Mr. Morath was born on October 1st, 1926, in Colorado Springs, Colorado.  He is seventy-seven, and will be celebrating his seventy-eighth birthday this fall.

Of course, the better question would be "how young is Max Morath," which I figure the answer to be "Incalculably."

Edit: dang spelling.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 11:28:15 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up