Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: TICKLED PINK  (Read 27227 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:TICKLED PINK
« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2005, 06:46:25 PM »

Good Evening!

I had a semi-productive bit of running around earlier.  I finally came up with a sort of clever idea for a flyer for myself, and after working it up on my computer, I headed down to Kinko's to get it printed up.

Thankfully, the printers were back on-line at the Columbus Circle location.  However, the guy behind the counter had a hard time understanding my request to buy some different colored papers.  "You want a ream?" -No, just 10 of each color.  "So, that's 10 reams?"  No.  Five colors, 10 sheets of each.  "Oh, OK.  So which colors did you want again?"  -Of course, he was "helping" me while he was talking sports scores and women with one of his co-workers.

At least the copier didn't jam.  And they also got two new fax machines.  Finally!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2005, 06:53:26 PM »

...And then I decided to run off a few more copies at the Kinko's location by Penn Station since I was in the neighborhood.  Well... The copier jammed here.  Well, both of them jammed.  Thankfully, the jams were easy to clear on my own - and there was not a clerk in sight anyway.  At this location, the "special papers" are kept out in the open, so I pullled my colors and quantities.  However, once I went to the counter to pay for the special papers, the young woman behind the counter informed that if you pulled your own papers and ran them through the copier, then you've already paid for them.   Hmm...  -Well, I had to pay for them at the Columbus Circle location.  "Well, each location has different policies."  Hmm....  -I'm thinking the young lady just didn't want to expend the energy to run the sale through the register.

At least I know which Kinko's locations I'll be running off my flyers at in the future.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #242 on: August 30, 2005, 07:05:59 PM »

Michael S GOOD BACK VIBES!

Ginny how long before you know if you have received the grant?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #243 on: August 30, 2005, 07:06:05 PM »

In between Kinko's, I dropped by Chelsea Studios to put up my shingle so to speak.  Well, as soon as I stepped into the waiting area, I ran into the stage manager for the show I did up at Vassar a few weeks ago, Dangerous Beauty.  Jane was on her way to get a snack, they just started a break.  Turns out, she's stage managing Amanda McBroom's upcoming one-woman show, A Woman of Will (formerly titled Lady Macbeth Sings the Blues.  And since they were on a break, she brought me into the rehearsal room so that I could say HI to Amanda.  -Amanda is the lyricist for Dangerous Beauty.

Lots of hugs and hellos were exchanged.  Amanda then introduced me to her music director, Joel Silberman, and the young man playing the show for her here in New York, Sam Davis.  Well, it turns out that Sam has a few conflicts, and they've just begun looking for subs.  Well...  I'll be getting a schedule sometime in the next couple of days.

:)

And it turns out that the composer for Dangerous Beauty, Michelle Brourman, is also in New York City right now, so we'll all be getting together for dinner sometime soon too.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #244 on: August 30, 2005, 07:07:52 PM »

Alas, I did not get to put up a flyer at Chelsea Studios.  But I did leave a stack on one of the tables at Ripley-Grier.  And tomorrow morning, I shall hit Equity, 8th Ave Studios, Shettler, Nola, 72nd Street, etc...

Let the games begin.

Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #245 on: August 30, 2005, 07:08:16 PM »

Keith just booked us a day trip from Munich to Salzburg.  The bus also stops in the hills that are alive. :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #246 on: August 30, 2005, 07:13:13 PM »

IIRC, the new Survivor is in Guatemala.

I'd like to see them do "Survivor: The Hindu Kush" or "Survivor: The Khyber Pass" or "Survivor: Tibet".
But then, no one would have an excuse to wear next to nothing!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #247 on: August 30, 2005, 07:14:35 PM »

Keith just booked us a day trip from Munich to Salzburg.  The bus also stops in the hills that are alive. :D
I think der B and I rode that bus, several years ago.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #248 on: August 30, 2005, 07:20:27 PM »

On the "Let's celebrate the tacky" front...

There's a restaurant on the highway called Crabby Dick's.  They're usually known for posting semi-lewd slogans on their sign out front, lots of less-than-double entendres, which have generated a number of protesting letters in the local paper.

They're taking a new tact in their signage, with the current situation in Louisiana and Mississippi in mind.  They're advertising their new drink special...on Hurricanes.

Bleh.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #249 on: August 30, 2005, 07:32:58 PM »

Not if Ann has anything to say about it!!

Yeah!!!

yeah right...like I could stand in the way of THAT... :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #250 on: August 30, 2005, 07:44:15 PM »

LOL.   We've often wanted something like Survivor:  Harlem, where a bunch of uptight rich white people are plopped down in the inner city (I know Harlem is gentrified now, but you get my drift).
Didn't they do this already?  Or am I thinking of The Simple Life, with Hilton and Richie?  

:P

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #251 on: August 30, 2005, 07:53:27 PM »

On the "Let's celebrate the tacky" front...

There's a restaurant on the highway called Crabby Dick's.  They're usually known for posting semi-lewd slogans on their sign out front, lots of less-than-double entendres, which have generated a number of protesting letters in the local paper.

They're taking a new tact in their signage, with the current situation in Louisiana and Mississippi in mind.  They're advertising their new drink special...on Hurricanes.

Bleh.

Well, I hope that for every Hurricane they sell, they'll be making a sizable donation to the Red Cross.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #252 on: August 30, 2005, 08:00:37 PM »

Ginny how long before you know if you have received the grant?

Jane, the review panel doesn't even meet until late September and selected communities will be notified in mid October, so I probably will still be sweating it out when we're together in New York.

Your trip to Europe sounds wonderful - hope you will have a chance to drop in here online from time to time.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #253 on: August 30, 2005, 08:01:50 PM »

Jose - can you email me one of your flyers as an attachment?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #254 on: August 30, 2005, 08:08:31 PM »

TD stated exactly my impression. No fan of Michael Crawford (at all), but that rose was beautiful.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #255 on: August 30, 2005, 08:10:15 PM »

Finished A TOUCH OF CLASS tonight and the transfer continued to look very good indeed. Always that bittersweet (but appropriate) ending.

Matt H.

« Reply #256 on: August 30, 2005, 08:13:55 PM »

After that, I put in the DVD of THE MUSIC MAN. Since both GYPSY and THE MUSIC MAN were filmed in Technirama and released in 1962, and because I was SO impressed with the GYPSY transfer on DVD, I wanted to see what THE MUSIC MAN looked like on a bigger screen.

In a word, it looked just fine, very sharp and artifact free, but I think GYPSY's transfer has it beaten by a mile. There is just something that's a touch richer about the color, the depth of focus, the lighting that makes it stand out on my TV more than THE MUSIC MAN.

Still, I got drawn right into the story and songs for 1 1/2 hours until RESCUE ME came on. I'll see about finishing it tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #257 on: August 30, 2005, 08:16:10 PM »

Another thing I finished tonight was the John Schlesinger biography which I thoroughly enjoyed. Lots of things about his life and career I didn't know, and I'll now look back at his movies with a bit more information about the blood, sweat, and tears that went into their makings.

In honor of that, the DVD I've selected for viewing tomorrow will be DARLING.

Matt H.

« Reply #258 on: August 30, 2005, 08:17:56 PM »

I haven't made any decision about the next book I'll bring off the to-read shelf. But it will probably be another nonfiction book. Perhaps UNCLE MAME.

Matt H.

« Reply #259 on: August 30, 2005, 08:20:40 PM »

RESCUE ME has two more original episodes before its second season concludes. Tonight seemed more of a walking-in-place kind of episode with not much happening in terms of furthering the story. One momentous thing did happen in terms of someone's wealth increasing, but other than that, it was not one of the season's better episodes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: August 30, 2005, 08:29:57 PM »

Jose - can you email me one of your flyers as an attachment?

Done.

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2005, 08:40:06 PM »

The tornados that we were "on watch" for obviously never arrived. In fact, the weather got brighter and hotter as the afternoon wore on. I wonder if we'll get the rain tomorrow that they've predicted.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #262 on: August 30, 2005, 08:47:35 PM »

The pic der B posted earlier, of me trying to hold the two beagle girls...I think they should be named Patty and Cathy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #263 on: August 30, 2005, 08:51:38 PM »

Well, I hope that for every Hurricane they sell, they'll be making a sizable donation to the Red Cross.
I wouldn't count on it.  These guys think it's funny to put on their sign "Queers served here."

Matt H.

« Reply #264 on: August 30, 2005, 08:56:29 PM »

The Shirley Temple movies should be arriving in the mail tomorrow, but I still think DARLING will come before LITTLE MISS BROADWAY or CURLY TOP. But we'll see tomorrow if I have them all in my possession.

Matt H.

« Reply #265 on: August 30, 2005, 08:57:15 PM »

And now it's drawing close to midnight, so I must hurry myself to bed.

Good night.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #266 on: August 30, 2005, 09:04:38 PM »

JMK-I don't know too much Lalo outside of his film and tv work, though I thought I had something else in the Xavier Cugat vein, but I can't find it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #267 on: August 30, 2005, 09:15:21 PM »

DR STUART you are correct - It IS a book by Dorothy Rodgers.  Mary, please accept my apologies.

Lovely photos today....DRLAURA your church building is heavenly!  And roses and squirrels (wasn't that a Steve Lawrence song?)

Slow slow slow rehearsal tonight.  If these "actors" do their own blocking one more time - it will be Hiroshima, Mon Amour!  Don't get between me and the audience boys, or it will be HTP!!

Two actors still missing - until MONDAY - of the week we open!

What Opening Night was MR BK going to?  I missed something somewhere, but I am not surprised!  I will read all about it soon!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #268 on: August 30, 2005, 09:16:17 PM »

Xavier Cugat was featured as a bandleader & an actor in CHICAGO SYNDICATE.

And as an actor - he's a great bandleader.  Abbe Lane sings a couple of VERY nice songs!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #269 on: August 30, 2005, 09:16:44 PM »

Gasoline:  $2.79 per gallon.  Whew!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up