Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OUTRE  (Read 23394 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:OUTRE
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2006, 09:07:23 PM »

That is very true and it perhaps one reason I enjoy the British stuff much better.

Have you ever seen the Campion mysteries MattH?

One or two of them. They're fine. A dear friend is a fan of the BROTHER CAEDFILEs. I've seen a few of them, too, but my heart lies with Agatha Christie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2006, 09:09:38 PM »

Page Seven Tramp Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2006, 09:10:20 PM »

And now I feel the need for slumber.

Good night, all!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2006, 09:21:36 PM »

Vixmom, I wonder if we were at the same Ikea today. One of TPunk's friends picked us up and took us on an anthropological expedition to Long Island, where we mingled with the natives at a Cheesecake Factory and then went to an Ikea. But I don't know where we were. Somewhere near Oyster Bay, I think. We got some picture frames.

As for Cheesecake Factory, this was my second time at one. Definitely see the attraction. Solid entrees. No chance of going hungry. But part of me finds the portions excessive beyond belief.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2006, 09:49:17 PM »

It's a balmy 15 degrees here in NYC.
With a windchill of "My face just fell off."

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2006, 09:53:26 PM »

DR Rodz, I will give you my lovely -25 windchill.....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2006, 09:54:08 PM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

Greetings from Fairfax, VA!

It was another very easy drive between here and NYC.  No traffic to speak of, and most people seemed to be observing the speed limit tonight too.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2006, 09:56:07 PM »

DR Rodz, I will give you my lovely -25 windchill.....

Here is a Chart to help ya understand ND / MN cold!

Minnesota and North Dakota Temperature Conversion Chart...

60 above...
Floridians wear coats, gloves and woolly hats.
Minnesotans and North Dakotans sunbathe.

50 above...
New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
Minnesotans and North Dakotans plant gardens.

40 above...
Italian cars won't start.
North Dakotans and Minnesotans drive with the windows down.

32 above...
Distilled water freezes.
Lake Superior's water begins to thicken.

20 above...
Arizonians shiver uncontrollably.
North Dakotans and Minnesotans have one last cook-out before it gets cold.

15 above...
New York landlords finally turn up the heat after receiving a summons.
North Dakotans and Minnesotans throw on a sweatshirt.

0 degrees...
Texans invade Mexico.
North Dakotans and Minnesotans give the bicycle one last spin.

20 below...
People in Miami cease to exist.
Minnesotans and North Dakotans get out their winter coats.

40 below...
California freeways are desolate.
Minnesota and North Dakota Girl Scouts begin selling cookies door to door.

60 below...
Polar bears begin to evacuate Antarctica.
Minnesota and North Dakota Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.

80 below...
Mt. St. Helen's freezes over.
Minnesota and North Dakota residents rent a few videos for the evening.

100 below...
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Minnesotans and North Dakotans get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

297 below...
Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products.
Minnesota cows complain of farmers with cold hands.

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2006, 09:56:25 PM »

No dice, Dakota! I'll stick with my local wind chill!

Be sure to stick around. We enjoy you, and a month will become a year before you know it!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2006, 09:58:49 PM »

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Lagoon/7390/humor.html

There are a few other gems of ND humour also if you  are interested...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 09:59:23 PM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #190 on: February 18, 2006, 10:00:40 PM »

No dice, Dakota! I'll stick with my local wind chill!

Be sure to stick around. We enjoy you, and a month will become a year before you know it!

I will. You guys are characters and I enjoy you even though TCB confuses me...  And I ain't blonde TCB!!!  But I will learn in due time!  ;D

Rodz, where is your sense of adventure???
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 10:05:33 PM by DakotaCelt »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #191 on: February 18, 2006, 10:02:15 PM »

DR Cillaliz - It's very hard to temper the spicy-heat of chiles in chili by adding something to it.  However, you can temper the heat by serving it with something - preferably a dairy product: cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, etc.  -Or even a glass of milk (or vanilla milkshake) for your beverage.

Some people try to "distract" the heat by adding other spices such as cinnamon, cocoa, oregano... or even a spoonful of sugar.

Some "heat" will dissipate if you let it sit, but sometimes, the heat level can actually get stronger depending on the chiles.

Now... If you've made a chili with beans, you could just add another can of beans.  And add some more meat too.  In other words, just double the batch after the fact.  ;)

Oh, and serving the chili over rice and/or with corn bread will help too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #192 on: February 18, 2006, 10:11:36 PM »

Since I've only met one Dakota person before and that was years ago, I have some questions maybe you can answer.

I notice N. Dakota sort of is lumped in often with Minnesota, as above. Why Minnesota and not South Dakota?

Are there climate differences between the two Dakotas?

Are there "personality" differences between the two states? One more conservative or one more friendly, etc?

Is there a rivalry between North and South Dakotans?

I ask because the two states are mysterious to me. I don't hear alot about them. Most of the time, if you hear anything about them they are mentioned as a pair, like there is no difference between them.

I will now list everything I know about North and South Dakota:
Two states.
Fargo is the capital of N. Dakota.
Tom Brokaw is from one of the states.
Mount Rushmore is in one of them.
The Sioux Indians were/are there.
The Fighting Sioux of UND or NDSU have a good college hockey team.
NDSU has recently begun competing in Div. I basketball.
Pierre is the capital of S. Dakota. Or is it Bismarck? Maybe Bismarck is North and Fargo is not a capital?
Black Hills. There are Black Hills there.

That's all I have. Teach at your leisure and forgive my woeful ignorance.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #193 on: February 18, 2006, 10:18:31 PM »

Rodz, I am working on your asnwer but I do have a question for you good sir....

I am working on a story and my character has a fascination with soaps however due to her illness she lives in a fantasy world and imagines herself as one of hte characters....

Are you familiar with either of the studios?

François de Paris

« Reply #194 on: February 18, 2006, 10:19:53 PM »

"Is there a rivalry between North and South Dakotans"

Yes! South D. has the nuclear weapon, and that ALSO bothers the White House!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #195 on: February 18, 2006, 10:22:27 PM »

Funny you should mention that. I haven't been inside the actual studios, but today, one of TPunk's friends we drove to LI with, his dad is the prop manager for all the NY ABC soaps. If they need a lamp or whatever, or have to buy a prop they don't already have, this guy's dad picks it out.

Not that that helps you at all, but it's sorta interesting.

François de Paris

« Reply #196 on: February 18, 2006, 10:23:57 PM »

Funny you should mention that. I haven't been inside the actual studios, but today, one of TPunk's friends we drove to LI with, his dad is the prop manager for all the NY ABC soaps. If they need a lamp or whatever, or have to buy a prop they don't already have, this guy's dad picks it out.

Not that that helps you at all, but it's sorta interesting.

I guess he also helps if they need soap too... even on certain days called "soap du jour"!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2006, 10:28:09 PM »

If there's a scene in a laundromat, sure, François! Often happens. :)

François de Paris

« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2006, 10:29:23 PM »

DR Cillaliz - It's very hard to temper the spicy-heat of chiles in chili by adding something to it.  However, you can temper the heat by serving it with something - preferably a dairy product: cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, etc.  -Or even a glass of milk (or vanilla milkshake) for your beverage.

Some people try to "distract" the heat by adding other spices such as cinnamon, cocoa, oregano... or even a spoonful of sugar.

Some "heat" will dissipate if you let it sit, but sometimes, the heat level can actually get stronger depending on the chiles.

Now... If you've made a chili with beans, you could just add another can of beans.  And add some more meat too.  In other words, just double the batch after the fact.  ;)

Oh, and serving the chili over rice and/or with corn bread will help too.

If it's still too spicy, one can always add some soap, but I am told that it's rather unseemly! ??? ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2006, 10:31:20 PM »

If there's a scene in a laundromat, sure, François! Often happens. :)

Oh, I mainly thought about a scene in an Opera where they might need soap!! This is so confusing!

I'm forever blowing bubbles! ;D

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2006, 10:32:18 PM »

Perhaps the Bubbler of Seville?

François de Paris

« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2006, 10:34:07 PM »

Yes, I soappose! :)

François de Paris

« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2006, 10:35:17 PM »

Is it because the Bubbler did it?!

We should ask Agatha! ;)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2006, 10:35:54 PM »

"Is there a rivalry between North and South Dakotans"

Yes! South D. has the nuclear weapon, and that ALSO bothers the White House!

South Dakota does not have nuclear weapons.... They just closed the airbase.

North Dakota does at Minot...

yes there is a rivalry betweenn ND and SD... When President Harrison signed them into statehood in 1889, he had to cover it with his hand.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2006, 10:37:34 PM »

States I Have Not Been To, by Rodzinski:
Alaska, Hawaii, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Minnesota.

Not certain about Missouri.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2006, 10:39:46 PM »

Is it because the Bubbler did it?!

We should ask Agatha! ;)

That joke fell with a thud.

Or was it suds???

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2006, 10:41:38 PM »

Since I've only met one Dakota person before and that was years ago, I have some questions maybe you can answer.

I notice N. Dakota sort of is lumped in often with Minnesota, as above. Why Minnesota and not South Dakota?

Are there climate differences between the two Dakotas?

Are there "personality" differences between the two states? One more conservative or one more friendly, etc?

Is there a rivalry between North and South Dakotans?

I ask because the two states are mysterious to me. I don't hear alot about them. Most of the time, if you hear anything about them they are mentioned as a pair, like there is no difference between them.

Two states.
Fargo is the capital of N. Dakota.
Tom Brokaw is from one of the states.
Mount Rushmore is in one of them.
The Sioux Indians were/are there.
The Fighting Sioux of UND or NDSU have a good college hockey team.
NDSU has recently begun competing in Div. I basketball.
Pierre is the capital of S. Dakota. Or is it Bismarck? Maybe Bismarck is North and Fargo is not a capital?
Black Hills. There are Black Hills there.

That's all I have. Teach at your leisure and forgive my woeful ignorance.

The North Dakota Primer!!

To answer your first and thrid question

North Dakota primarily belongs in the Great Plains region of hte US and and there has some different cultural attributes. They tend to be more conservative, distrusting of the government (more a love-hate relationship), but freindly especially if you make an effort to understand them.  ND has a very small-town, rural mindset.  The only exception is Eastern ND, especially that area closest to the Red River of the North ( Yes, it flows north)  which is closer to the midwest mindset and language dialects.  In eastern ND we lump ND with MN but further wset they lump it with SD.... People in easter ND tend to identify more with MN. It is a typical for people here for we are a colony so to speak to larger cities. IT is very common mindset in the Plains. People out here tend to be suspicious of outsiders.... until they get to know you...

The Great Plains is known as the empty quarter, a place to get across.

Our favorite state to pick on in ND is Montana.... Man do I have Montana jokes. ..I also have Iowa ones....

In in Eastern ND we look at SD with curiousity for they are very much a Great Plains culture. Cilla is from Iowa and would be considered from the Midwest.  Also Eastern ND has a very strong Canadian influence for the Red River Valley was British territory until 1820. BTW, most history books doe not make reference to that.  Also it is not unusual for some in northern ND and MN to have dual citizenship wiht Canada or Canadian relations.  I, myself am more of a midwest mindset.

Both the Midwest and the Great plains have have political extremists such as Posse Comitatus and the NPL party.  

North Dakota is the only State in the union with a state owned bank and elevator. The state operates and funds both entities. If you have ever seen Dakota Maid flour, that is from North dakota.  American Crystal Sugar is another product that is raised here. I grew up on a farm that raised sugar beets and it would be literally your head if you brought cane sugar into the house.

#2.... The plains has a continental type of wether. The RRV tends to be colder because we are in a valley and cold air settles....  

SD tends to be a bit warmer due to Chinooks coming off of the Black Hills (Paha Sapa in the Siouan language)
#4 see my answer to Francois

THe Dakotas have always been lumped togehter.. As much as they are similar by both being agrarian states they are also dissimilar.

SD tends to identify more with Nebraska and ND economically, especially eastern ND with Minneapolis-St. Paul....

IF you visit the humour page taht i posted earlier, that are links on my old website for ND links.

Two states.
Fargo is the capital of N. Dakota.  LOL Fargo Wishes!! The capitol is Bismarck BTW, the movie FArgo was filmed in Brainerd, MN
Tom Brokaw is from one of the states. He is from Yankton, SD
Mount Rushmore is in one of them. SD
The Sioux Indians were/are there.  Correction they are called Dakota and they are in both states
The Fighting Sioux UND have a good college hockey team.
NDSU has recently begun competing in Div. I basketball. Yes and they beat Wisconsin!!
Pierre is the capital of S. Dakota.
Black Hills. There are Black Hills there.  SD

François de Paris

« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2006, 10:41:53 PM »

That joke fell with a thud.

Or was it suds???

Better suds than skuds!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2006, 10:42:04 PM »

States I Have Lived In, by Rodzinski:

Indiana, Georgia, Mississippi, California, Ohio, New York.

A difficult combination to pull off.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2006, 10:44:14 PM »

States I Have Not Been To, by Rodzinski:
Alaska, Hawaii, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Minnesota.

Not certain about Missouri.

I have been to Montana and I am still alive to tell about it... SD, OK, WA and MN....

Minnesota has some lovely lakes, cross country skiing...

One of my favorite MN site

http://www.northernimages.com/
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up