Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LET'S NOT SUGARCOAT IT  (Read 12196 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: LET'S NOT SUGARCOAT IT
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2009, 07:44:11 AM »

Edi, don't be too down on yourself (or the filmmakers) over Mercer.  There were a ton of great clips in there, and I'm sure you helped assemble those brilliantly.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2009, 07:45:04 AM »

Can anyone else besides JR mention that absolutely bizarre remake of a Frances Farmer film, in fact a Farmer film that may be a propos to a lot of yesterday and today's posts?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:23 AM »

TOD:   I don't mind saying that I much prefer the 1962 remake of "Mutiny on the Bounty" to the 1935 classic with Gable and Laughton.  Maybe it's the color, maybe it's the location work, maybe it's that dazzling epic score...and just maybe it's the totally superb performance by Brando that wipes out all memory of the original for me.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2009, 07:55:48 AM »

MARIMBA GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO JRand59's FATHER

JMK

« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2009, 08:01:42 AM »

Vibes to JR's dad and also belated congrats to Ben for a successful procedure.  (Can you tell I'm slowly catching up?)

JMK

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2009, 08:02:47 AM »

I just sent out the press release on the Dave Frishberg concert I'm hosting.  Can't wait to see if the Oregonian dares to ignore this one.  Actually, the Religion page is doing a big feature article on the series, and has already interviewed me, so to their Arts writers I say nyah, nyah, nyah.  ;)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2009, 08:20:40 AM »

TOD:   I don't mind saying that I much prefer the 1962 remake of "Mutiny on the Bounty" to the 1935 classic with Gable and Laughton.  Maybe it's the color, maybe it's the location work, maybe it's that dazzling epic score...and just maybe it's the totally superb performance by Brando that wipes out all memory of the original for me.

There's a lot that I like about the remake, but Brando's performance isn't one of them. 

I do like the fact that, in the remake, there is a specific incident that brings about the mutiny, which was not there in the original.

I've seen the picture with and without the epilogue (which was cut from the general release version), and I think the picture works best with it.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2009, 08:22:51 AM »

I think Alfred Hitchcock accomplished something wonderful by remaking one of his own movies - THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH and doing it with such style.

I know lots of people prefer the original British version, but I'm not one of them. I far prefer the remake, and it's probably near the top of my most wanted Blu-ray Hitchcock films.

I also like the remake of THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH.  That and NORTH BY NORTHWEST are my 2 favorite Hitchcock films.

JMK

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2009, 08:26:03 AM »

TOD:   I don't mind saying that I much prefer the 1962 remake of "Mutiny on the Bounty" to the 1935 classic with Gable and Laughton.  Maybe it's the color, maybe it's the location work, maybe it's that dazzling epic score...and just maybe it's the totally superb performance by Brando that wipes out all memory of the original for me.

There's a lot that I like about the remake, but Brando's performance isn't one of them. 

I do like the fact that, in the remake, there is a specific incident that brings about the mutiny, which was not there in the original.

I've seen the picture with and without the epilogue (which was cut from the general release version), and I think the picture works best with it.

I thought it was the Prologue that was cut.  My sister took me to see this in a roadshow engagement when I was maybe 4 (?) and I thought I had gone nuts when I got my first home video version and that Prologue wasn't there.  In fact the Prologue is what makes the Epilogue make sense.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2009, 08:30:47 AM »

I thought it was the Prologue that was cut.  My sister took me to see this in a roadshow engagement when I was maybe 4 (?) and I thought I had gone nuts when I got my first home video version and that Prologue wasn't there.  In fact the Prologue is what makes the Epilogue make sense.

I've got the DVD in my Marlon Brando collection, but I've yet to watch it.  Does anybody know if the Prologue and/or Epilogue is present in this version?

JMK

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2009, 08:31:54 AM »

I've got the DVD in my Marlon Brando collection, but I've yet to watch it.  Does anybody know if the Prologue and/or Epilogue is present in this version?

They're included as extras.  Or at least the Prologue is.  I'm almost positive even the general release version always had the Epilogue.  At least that's what I'm remembering.

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2009, 09:09:52 AM »

TOD:

1939's THE WIZARD OF OZ

1959's IMITATION OF LIFE

MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM (1944), which is a remake of THE MISSING ROOM (1938) which was a remake of MYSTERY OF THE BLUE ROOM (1933).

BEES SAAL BAAD (1960) remake of HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES.

AAYA TOOFAN (1961) remake of JACK THE GIANT KILLER.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2009, 09:10:33 AM »

Jane, I think you're right about the benign thing. He probably told me at first glance they looked OK but he said I would be getting the final results in the mail in a week to 10 days.

I have a friend who had "something" removed from her face years ago & it was never sent for a biopsy.  Last year it was diagnosed as melanoma.   I'm glad the biopsy stage is not getting skipped, even though the visual assessment is usually correct.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2009, 09:14:35 AM »

My father is having his cataract surgery this morning....an outpatient procedure.....so hopefully he will be able to see better by this afternoon.

Vibes to your father!!!

Jane

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2009, 09:16:26 AM »

From DR Jose:
We had just finished another wonderful dinner at Cafe Sim-Sim - a great Russian (Azerbaijani cuisine) place in Brooklyn - when the owner called me and my friend, Eric, over to his table……..

You certainly were treated like royalty :)

Jane

« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2009, 09:18:46 AM »

I guess I never got the point of view of the Mercer documentary except...."and then he wrote.....".....and it wasn't even in much of a chronological order.  I liked the old TV variety show clips....but many of them were too short.

Nice to hear Dinah Shore when she could really sing.

I gained a new appreciation of Dinah from working on this. She seemed like a really nice lady!

Everyone I know who met her, commented how nice she was.

DAW

« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2009, 09:18:54 AM »

Hello from NY!  I am home, or will be shortly, in time for tonight's weekly choir rehearsal. The DH must labour on through next Monday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2009, 09:19:30 AM »

Good morning, all! If all the gunk that clogging up the middle of my head would go away, I would be ecstatic. Otherwise, I feel pretty good today. This morning I have to return to the McGlinnventory. Will it ever end?

I smiled broadly at JMK's post about Bill Charlap; his mother Sandy Stewart was a lovely lady; I met her around 1983 working with Ben Bagley on something, maybe one of the Kern Revisited albums. I liked her very much.

I don't know if they're still married but Bill's fiancee Michelle played violin on my first recordings with BK and Varese Sarabande, ANYWHERE I WANDER and UNSUNG SONDHEIM, but she was responsible for problems for BK with the union later and I haven't seen her since.

Oh, yes, I remember her - it wasn't only what she did, it was the way she played.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2009, 09:21:44 AM »

bk, I didn't see your name in there at all! And since I don't have tivo...

I put in "Bruce Kimmel and HHW" into the credits but didn't think it had made it since it went on for 4 months after I left. (Over a month just to online!) But you guys were the only personal thanks I did because I felt like there were so many people on this board who shared music or information with me that they had made a contribution to the film, more than many of the people who ARE in the credits!

Well, apparently it's in :)

Jane

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2009, 09:22:51 AM »

Thanks DRs Dakota, Edi, & George.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »

FEEL BETTER VIBES FOR ALL WHO NEED THEM!!

STAY HEALTHY VIBES FOR EVERYONE ELSE!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2009, 09:26:40 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.  Weird dreams again, but I at least know where they stemmed from.  I guess if I'm to jog I'd better do it.  I won't have time for the long version but I can certainly do two miles.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2009, 09:30:39 AM »

DR JMK, I don't feel like I'm being hard on myself, but it is hard knowing how much better it could have been with someone who cared about J.M... Or an exec producer whose sole contribution was watching it a few times, deciding it dragged and wanting to cut a lot of good performances and storyline. Of course, performances by ex-lovers did remain....
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2009, 09:48:51 AM »

I didn't get to see the Mercer doc last night but I will watch it this weekend.

BTW, did anyone watch the premier of V?  I completely forgot about it and didn't even record it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2009, 10:04:14 AM »

I cannot think of any post-60s remake that I can say I truly enjoyed more than the original.  Remakes made before then I don't tend to think of as remakes since they are generally the version I first saw and became familiar with.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »

DR JMK, I don't feel like I'm being hard on myself, but it is hard knowing how much better it could have been with someone who cared about J.M... Or an exec producer whose sole contribution was watching it a few times, deciding it dragged and wanting to cut a lot of good performances and storyline. Of course, performances by ex-lovers did remain....

I'm just going to go ahead and assume this isn't a reference to incest.  (That's a joke, folks, lighten up).  :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2009, 10:38:17 AM »

My father is having his cataract surgery this morning....an outpatient procedure.....so hopefully he will be able to see better by this afternoon.

~~~Get Better Soon Vibes for DR JRands Father!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2009, 11:02:39 AM »

We have returned from a very sweet memorial service at our former church.  While there we got our first glimpse at the remodeling of the parlor area, which is very different, but quite nice.  We also went to the public library and then to lunch at The Meadows, where I learned 2 things:

1) I prefer their dinner menu to their lunch menu and
2) I am not accustomed to drinking wine at lunchtime.

Now I have to deal with some business for the grantwriter group - the speaker I'd scheduled for Dec. 1 called just as we were leaving for the service to tell me that she has a conflict that day.  Fortunately, we have not sent out the official notification yet.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2009, 11:05:16 AM »

In today's episode of "Larry and the McGlinnventory" I discovered another Victor Herbert vocal score John McGlinn borrowed from me around 15 years ago and never returned.  We also uncovered today a photocopy of a psychiatrist's report from 1967 on 14-year-old John's psychiatric state that showed he was already having personality and mental problems and another copy of 1993 the will leaving me third in line as heir (I've still got guilt over that one!), and a lot of family strife. Most fascinating.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:20:10 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2009, 11:39:32 AM »

I didn't get to see the Mercer doc last night but I will watch it this weekend.

BTW, did anyone watch the premier of V?  I completely forgot about it and didn't even record it.

I didn't want to watch, never liked the first one.  Keith was looking forward to it.  Not long into the show he said "I've had enough".  Worked for me :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up