Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ATTACK OF THE MUPPET PEOPLE  (Read 12762 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: ATTACK OF THE MUPPET PEOPLE
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 06:40:56 AM »

Good morning!

It's still terribly overcast, but there's no rain in the forecast, so that's fine. I was staying in for most of the day anyway. The walk was very nice this morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 06:41:08 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 06:44:18 AM »

TOD:

I, too, got my first taste of the Muppets with Rowlf on THE JIMMY DEAN SHOW, and I remember their weird creatures created for SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE's first season, too.

Favorite Muppet has always been Miss Piggy, but I also had a great fondness for Scooter (and all of the other characters voiced and manipulated by the late Richard Hunt).

Favorite Muppet movie was THE MUPPETS TAKE MANHATTAN. I have those first four or five movies on DVD and haven't revisited them in years.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 06:45:54 AM »

I guess I will work on the Blu-ray of GIMME SHELTER today. Not being a great Rolling Stones fan, I can't say I'm looking forward to seeing this (never have seen it all the way through, just portions of it). But since I reviewed SHINE A LIGHT some months ago, it'll be fun seeing them young after seeing what decades of hard living and drug use have done to them.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 06:48:18 AM »

Looking forward to watching last night's CASTLE while I eat lunch. I still have last week's LAW & ORDER and MONK to watch, too, at some point today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 07:09:19 AM »

Staler and WALDORF.....I didn't even know they had names until years later when it was pointed out to me.

I think Ed Sullivan featured the Muppets as well....there was something with a worm.....and also some creature playing the piano which kept getting eaten by larger muppets....or maybe that was the worm.  Anyway, it was funny.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 07:10:27 AM »

And of course - the Yip Yips discover Radio!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qxWGr8VhzQ

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 07:14:56 AM »

I loved the Muppet Shows that had true musical guests like Julie Andrews or Gene Kelly. When they had guests like Mark Hamill, the shows were less interesting to me.

I always thought at the height of THE MUPPET SHOW that Jim Henson was the next Walt Disney, that he would create an empire of movies, TV, records, theme parks with his creations. He never got the theme parks (they got folded into Disney), but his influence was certainly wide and long-lasting.

I also love The Count on SESEME STREET.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 07:16:06 AM »

Now, I'm going to finish up some computer stuff and then head downstairs to watch some leisure TV until I need to think about what's for lunch.

WBBL.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 07:18:41 AM »

IF THIS IS TUESDAY, IT MUST BE SPAIN?

Wow, how did it get to be the last day of the cruise?  It seems like only yesterday that I boarded this ship outside of Rome.  And now we are just about finished. 

This morning, we are having our only morning at sea.  We dock in Majorca at 1:00 o’clock this afternoon, and sail again at 7:00.

Last nice the seas got rougher and rougher.  I must confess that I was a wuss!  Rather than risk spending the better part of the night in the Head (sorry, nautical term), I stuck on a seasick patch.  Within about a half hour I was feeling sleepy and huge waves stopped bothering me.  This morning, I woke up to calm seas and blue skies.  When we docked at Palme de Majorca it was already 68 degrees.  The first thing I noticed confirmed my earlier thesis – “Everyone in Europe has a yacht, or at least a boat of some kind.”  I swear, they say that Seattle is the boating capital of the world, or at least the Seattle Chamber of Commerce says so; but I think that status pales by some of the local ports that I have seen.  Number One would have to be Monte Carlo.  They only have 7,000 citizens in Monaco, but there has to be close to that many boats in the three harbors that I saw.  Naturally, a lot of the luxury yachts may be owned by visitors who are not considered citizens.  Marseille may not be quite the exclusive address that Monte Carlo is, but there was still a ton of boats.

I just stopped off at my cabin to drop off my camera, and darling Lely had already set my suitcase on the bed for me.  Talk about a direct hint.  Oh well, I had better start throwing my stuff in now, before I go ashore.   

We have an Anderson Cooper look alike onboard the Insignia or at least I am assuming he is just a look alike.  He is on this cruise with his boyfriend.  If it is actually Anderson Cooper, then he is a lot shorter than I thought he was.

---------------------------------------------

Well, I have completed my journey to Majorca.  After stepping off the gang plank and walking the over half mile to get to the front of the terminal, I thought, “What Hell am I doing?”

I had already cashed in all of Euros this morning, so if I really wanted to do anything or buy anything here in Spain, I was going to have to hike back to the ship to buy more Euros.  Considering how tired I have been since Monaco, and considering what time I have to be up in the morning, and considering how many hours I am going to be cramped into those two airplanes, I decided to bag it.  So, I came back to the ship, and lay in the sun for an hour, and now I think I am about ready to go back and finish packing.

I didn’t buy myself very much on this trip.  A t shirt from Monaco and a t shirt and a coffee mug onboard ship.  Of course, I had to pay for the Ferrari to be shipped back to America for my sister….  Haha!  I can already see her laughing over that one.  Well, this is my last e-mail from Europe.  By tomorrow evening, God willing, I will be back home with my sweet little Nicky.

Hasta mañana!   
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 07:19:18 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Today's house-cleaning day, in preparation for the big Thanksgiving get-together.

TOD - The Swedish Chef was my favorite character on The Muppet Show and The Count on Sesame Street.  Our DS Rob had a Count face mask, which he wore with a cape one year for Halloween.  Movie:  Muppets Take Manhattan, of course!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 07:20:34 AM »

Holy Grail vibes for MR BK.

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 07:21:32 AM »

DR TCB - safe travels home and thank you for sharing your trip with us!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 07:21:44 AM »

Well it just so happens the Muppets are a little bit of synchronicity for me right now, as I mentioned the debut of Miss Piggy at the Frishberg concert the other night.  When Herb Alpert reformed the TJB in the early 1970's (Frishberg was the keyboard player), they went to England to tape a television special where the Muppets were the special guests.  It was the first appearance of Miss Piggy.  The whole special is on YouTube (search "Herb Alpert Miss Piggy").  Two of Dave's great songs are featured, including an absolutely amazing live performance (not lip synched) by Lani of Dave's "Wheelers and Dealers."  If you wonder why I and former DR Tomovoz love Lani so much, just listen to her impeccable phrasing and control on that song.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 07:22:31 AM »

What a great trip it's been DR TCB!

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2009, 07:28:14 AM »

Well, my housekeeping list has expanded a bit because my niece from Illinois just called to say that she is coming for Thanksgiving, after all.  YAY!!!

JMK

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2009, 07:29:32 AM »

So Betsy was more or less freaking out yesterday about this potential move, despite the fact that it's all of 10 minutes from here.  She is especially worried about being the only Jew in Hillsboro, as she grew up in a little Wisconsin town where her family was the only Jewish family (try growing up in SLC, I keep telling her).  In a funny moment last night, she was at work and I was at home, and we evidently were simultaneously Googling 'Jewish Hillsboro' at the same time, and found out there was  Chabad out there (the ultra-orthodox Lubavitcher sect that just Bar Mitzvahed my nephew).  So I emailed her the webpage and called her and she clicked in and said "I'm on the phone with them right now!"  ;)

Then she "interviewed" (I woud say inquisitioned, but I won't) a Jewish woman the Chabad gave her the number of who has kids in both the schools our boys would be in.  Betsy is just asking this poor woman question after question after question and then I suddenly hear Betsy say, "No, no, no, I live about 10 minutes away."  It turns out the poor woman thought Betsy was moving from far off Namibia or something.  We've been giggling about it ever since.   Woman:  "Where do you live now?"  Betsy:  "Come out on your porch and I'll wave to you!" 

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 07:29:51 AM »

DR TCB - safe travels home and thank you for sharing your trip with us!

Thank you, DR Ginny, for reading it.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 07:31:03 AM »

What a great trip it's been DR TCB!

Thank you, Jack!
“One thing’s universal,

JMK

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 07:32:20 AM »

The travel reports have been lots of fun, Tom.  However, you don't need to continue them once you're back in Tacoma.  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2009, 07:50:53 AM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2009, 07:53:20 AM »

Oy! An emergency job  due ASAP when I need about a week to ponder it! So all plans change for today. I've got to figure out a piano-vocal before I can even score it. Cripes!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2009, 08:10:44 AM »

At least it isn't Ciribiribin, DR ELMORE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2009, 08:10:51 AM »

Where is DR JOSE today?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2009, 08:11:04 AM »

More guests for DR GINNY!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2009, 08:25:06 AM »

DR Cillaliz, what did you think of last night's DANCING WITH THE STARS?

It was definitely interesting. And i feel like donny osmond went out on a high. While Mya's freestyle was lacking.

I was really disappointed in kelly osbourne. I thought her first dance was so-so. I thought that when lined up beside the others she was by far the worst. And i thought her freestyle was not good. She messed up a lot. And it was not a strong routine.

I was not sure who i was going to vote for. I decided to wait to see the freestyles.

I thought mya's first routine was very good. I was surprised that i did not care for her as much in the side by side routines. I think it was because she was standing right beside kym (the pro) and kym was so much better (since you tended to focus on the girls).

I was so disappointed in mya's freestyle. I thought she did not look like she was giving it all her effort. And i was so disappointed in Dmitri's choreography. his first number was so strong. I realize he has never had to do a freestyle before. But it was like he had no idea how to choreograph one. I was so disappointed. And IMO mya will lose because
of that last dance.

As for donny, i thought his freestyle was good. It was by far the best of the 3. But i didn't think it was as great as the judges said. Kym clearly knows what to put in the final dance. And i feel like the ended on such a high. If most people wait to vote till after the show, then i think donny will win. Plus he is by far the most popular. I think it will come down to him and mya and i think he will win.

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2009, 08:25:18 AM »

TOD:

Favorite Muppet characters are Beaker and The Swedish Chef.

Can't think of a favorite Muppet movie. It has been so many years since I saw them (sometime in the 1980s), but I know that the ones that I watched were fun.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2009, 08:27:49 AM »

I remember watching The Muppets when i was little. I had kermit the frog, miss piggy and animal dolls. I liked kermit.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2009, 08:33:55 AM »

My favorite MUPPET SHOW memory is this: as a kid it really touched me, due to my anti hunting stance and love for animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSs4lSYVCKE

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2009, 08:36:35 AM »

I'm up and it looks like a pretty day outside.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up