Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SHMOOTZ  (Read 16779 times)

FJL

Re: SHMOOTZ
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »

Thank you, George!!!

FJL

« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2010, 07:36:20 PM »

And one for Manilow

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2010, 07:43:54 PM »

Anytime, Fred.

Time for me to head home for some TV watching.

Until later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2010, 07:56:42 PM »

I guess I'll be working on the Bruce Willis thriller SURROGATES tomorrow for my work project. I'm hoping for something good since the last two films have been really disappointing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2010, 07:57:09 PM »

I've completed my internet surf for tonight. I guess I'll head downstairs and put myself to bed.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »

Starting tracking points again today.  Went to the gym for an hour.  Feeling very virtuous.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2010, 08:40:07 PM »

Ahhhhh....I'm just sitting here kvelling. It's been unusually cold here in Atlanta for the past month and hadn't gotten above freezing in a few weeks. What better time than this for our heater to conk out? I spent the last few days working at home huddled next to an electric heater since the house stayed @ 48 degrees.

Last night a "designer" came and stayed for 4 hours and after he figured out what we needed, made an appointment to install a new heater today.

After they got it all installed, they turned it on and it blew out the board. (The same thing that happened to the first heater, which was very old.) Fortunately, he tracked down another board, convinced the company to sell it to him after hours, drove his partner home and came back to finish the job. He was done at @ 8:30 and then was going off to the gym!

Needless to say, he got a big tip. Between the new heater and A/C, taxes and today's house payment, I could probably have bought a very nice car.

But now I'm toasty warm, had a nice warm shower and the cats are very happy, each stationed at their own personal heating vent.

Ahhhhhh....
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2010, 08:53:48 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from The Ballet.

And, yes, DR JRand, as DR elmore stated, it was the Prokofiev version as envisioned and choreographed by Peter Martins.

I liked it. There was some wonderful dancing by both the men and the women, and the lead couple tonight were quite good and graceful.  This version premiered two years ago, and I need to go back and track down some of the reviews.  I knew that Martins had changed some things, broke with tradition in regards to some of the set pieces, but I don't recall reading that he basically eliminated any real choreography during the final scene.  Lots of emoting and hand-wringing and anguished faces, but no real steps.  Consequently, it just seemed to fall apart choreographically, structurally and dramatically.  -At least to me.  But, again, I liked it.

*And seeing it from high in the fourth ring was actually not bad at all.  The acoustics were great and that vantage point provided a nice view of the whole stage during the group section.  -And, again, I only paid $10 for the ticket. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2010, 08:57:50 PM »

If any DRs in the NYC area are interested in catching South Pacific tomorrow night, or Martha Plimpton's "American Songbook" sessions, both of them will be on the $20 list tomorrow at the Lincoln Center Atrium.

*I spoked to a couple earlier today who took advantage of the "20for20" program earlier in the week for South Pacific.  They ended up with a pair of tickets in 11th Row Center Orchestra!  -That's a savings of $105.50 per ticket!!!  -And still much cheaper than the TKTS price too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2010, 09:09:54 PM »

I guess DR edisaurus no longer has to ask, "Where is the warmth?"

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2010, 09:14:41 PM »

I had no takers for THE MAGIC FLUTE ticket. Them's the breaks.

DR elmore - I'm seeing Turandot tomorrow night at The Met, but I may have a taker for your ticket.  I'll check back in with you tomorrow.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2010, 09:19:54 PM »

I love BC/EFA and its work, but I'm confused by its donating $100,000 to Haiti relief, a drop in the bucket for the Haiti relief cause - but about 1.5% of BC/EFA's grantmaking potential.

I posted this on ATC, and hope it's not out of line, but I'm puzzled:

Admittedly very naive question: If such avail. funds, why not rehire the BC/EFA early-2009 layoffs, even part-time, if they don't have jobs yet?

Posted by:   BklynBoy 07:52 pm EST 01/15/10
In reply to:   re: BC/EFA Contributes $100,000 to UNICEF to Assist in Haitian Relief Efforts - EricL212 04:14 pm EST 01/15/10

This is going to sound naive, because it's so obvious that i must be overlooking something very basic- but if money is so available that they apparently anticipate not having to turn away anyone qualified to get funds in 2010, doesn't that mean they really didn't - with hindsight - need to do those early-in-2009 layoffs after all? I really don't feel so strongly about this, but some long-term employees had to be let go for budgetary reasons, if I understand correctly - if that turned around, why not take those people back if they haven't been able to find other jobs yet? (This is just an example, but I know I've not bought charity event tickets and even donated as in the past because of getting voice-mails rather than people, especially w/r/t going to events and such things. I can't imagine I'm the only one who gets turned off by voicemail instead of someone being physically there to talk to. But that's just an example.)

I've wondered about this too - at least in general terms.  However, after giving it some thought, and reading up on things...

1) BC/EFA really does try to keep donations as "donations", and not use monies designated for "help" as "salary".  It's a fine line that all charities have to manage and delineate for themselves.

2) I'm also wondering if the record-breaking amount raised during the most recent "Gypsy of the Year" - mainly due to Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig in A Steady Rain - "made" it possible for BC/EFA to donate such a relatively large amount to the Haitian relief at this time.

???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2010, 09:22:07 PM »

Good grief!  I came home from work and that damn crock pot stew had doubled in size.  Thank goodness it tastes good, because I am going to be eating it for a week.

Freeze half of it.

Great idea!  My other idea was to pour it into an envelope and mail it to you.

Well, you could freeze it first, and then mail it to DR elmore.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2010, 09:23:01 PM »

Congrats to DR JOSE on his millstone.

Thank You, DR JRand.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2010, 09:27:22 PM »

Is that William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet? 

The Indiana Repertory Theatre has glommed the Romeo + Juliet logo from the Leo diCaprio movie....and says they are doing a bright, new production of it......although WS's name is nowhere to be found....maybe he needs a better agent.  ANYWAY the letters are superimposed over a b/w photo of.....a 1955 Pontiac.

I really thought we had finished with this crap when we drove Libby Appel out of town.....I guess not.

Is it possible that IRT is doing Shakespeare's R&J?....

.... Nevermind.  I just checked their website, and it is William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.  -Or Romeo + Juliet.

But I do spy Mr. S's name on the poster art:

*And, as noted on the website, this production is "part of Shakespeare for a New Generation, a national theatre initiative sponsored by the National Endowment for the Arts in cooperation with Arts Midwest."
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »

And the "Shakespeare for a New Generation" program is part of the NEA's

Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2010, 09:47:52 PM »

Jose - is a puzzlement.

Next fall, there will be likely no BC/EFA windfall from a Jackman-Craig show.  Is there really no provision for a charity saving part of a one-time-only windfall in 2009 for use in 2011 or 2012?  I guess I'm saying that the $100,000 they gave means absolutely nothing of real measurable value to Haitian relief (except for a showing of support), while that $100,000 invested conservatively - if not needed in 2010 or 2011-  could buy lots and lots of meals in 2012, maybe even some shelter, if it's needed then.  Or it could keep jobs of a few people (who could be instrumental in raising more $$$) who were loyal to BC/EFA al the years and got kicked out because of gloomy budget concerns, as an alternative.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:50:26 PM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »

Jose - Isn't 11th row center at the Beaumont [shhhh] the last row or two of the orchestra section?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2010, 09:52:13 PM »

Jose - is a puzzlement.

Next fall, there will be likely no BC/EFA windfall from a Jackman-Craig show.  Is there really no provision for a charity saving part of a one-time-only windfall in 2009 for use in 2011 or 2012?  I guess I'm saying that the $100,000 they gave means absolutely nothing of real measurable value to Haitian relief (except for a showing of support), while that $100,000 invested conservatively - if not needed in 2010 or 2011-  could buy lots and lots of meals in 2012, maybe even some shelter, if it's needed then.  Or it could keep jobs of a few people (who could be instrumental in raising more $$$) who were loyal to BC/EFA al the years and got kicked out because of gloomy budget concerns, as an alternative.

Well... That "windfall" was just over $1.5 Million, so... I dunno.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2010, 09:53:57 PM »

Jose - Isn't 11th row center at the Beaumont [shhhh] the last row or two of the orchestra section?

I think so.  But, still, a Center Orchestra seat at The Beaumont for $20 is a great deal.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2010, 09:56:09 PM »

I agree, a great deal, especially for SOUTH PACIFIC!

This is so strange, me being the glass-half-empty guy, but  when it comes to theatre seats -  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2010, 10:09:12 PM »

bk - I keep meaning to mention this, but... Apparently, there was a batch of "bad" Magic Mouses (Magic Mice?).  If your battery life is less than two months, you might have one of the defective ones.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2010, 10:16:06 PM »

PAGE FOUR COPACABANA DANCE!!

DR George - By chance, are some of your "replacement" CDs coming from a dealer in NYC?  A lot of the titles you've been posting lately happen to match up with a bunch of the titles that I traded in at Academy Records.  Hmmm... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2010, 10:31:17 PM »

Mark Valley was one of my least favorite characters on BOSTON LEGAL.  I wonder if he is the only lead on the new show.
Although if he is a good actor, and the part is good, maybe i'll enjoy him more.

Did you catch him on "Fringe"?  I really liked him on the short-lived "Keen Eddie".

-And he ain't bad to look at either. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2010, 10:45:56 PM »

Back from a lovelier than lovely dinner and a lovely time, which erased all traces of the slightly obnoxious earlier thing I had to deal with.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2010, 10:46:22 PM »

I don't think we've had a five page day in years.  Skammen, and I am rather surprised and only a little nauseated.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2010, 10:59:56 PM »

I don't think we've had a five page day in years.  Skammen, and I am rather surprised and only a little nauseated.

I'm tryin'! I'm tryin'!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »

Post debated.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2010, 11:01:37 PM »

Which is a totally different thing from "Post de-baited".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2010, 11:01:52 PM »

Deleted cranberries.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up