Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BUTTERSCOTCH FILES  (Read 26765 times)

singdaw

Re:THE BUTTERSCOTCH FILES
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 06:06:27 AM »

[size=15]PAGE 2!!![/size]

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 06:08:40 AM »

And the word of the day is: BUNBURY!

And The Song Of The Day Is: WALTZING MATILDA

And A Very Good Morning?Afternoon?Evening? To You TOMOVOZ
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:09:15 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

singdaw

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 06:11:00 AM »

TOD:
The recent Lord of the Rings trilogy.  Great all around.
And the recent Pirates trilogy.  Not great at all, but fun.
And, to make a trilogy of trilogies, three fantasies from my youth:
     Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
     Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
     Doctor Dolittle

singdaw

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 06:16:33 AM »

No, I have worse hair!

td

• td
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 06:18:20 AM »

Buckling swashes:
THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
THE SEA HAWK
CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN

Neo-swashbucklers:
INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
THE PRINCESS BRIDE*

Fantasies:
YOLANDA AND THE THIEF
THE NEVER ENDING STORY
THE COURT JESTER
THE PIRATE
THE LORD OF THE RINGS

*as bk pointed out, and I agree, Knopfler's score should have been bolder and less synth. . .though, Knopfler's guitar solos and his end credits song both work for me.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2007, 06:20:47 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Today's my Friday, too.  I'm looking forward to 6 days off and to not having to throw a Thanksgiving extravaganza.

DR Singdaw - I am so envious that you saw/heard Bryn Terfel in person last night.  His voice is the one that I hear most often coming from my iPod.

DR JRand - good news about Ryan - please keep us posted.

DR Danise - follow-up doctor visit vibes!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 06:27:57 AM »

I love Butterscotch!  In fact, there are some of these in my desk drawer:
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 06:51:12 AM »

Thanks for the good vibes/wishes for the doctor visit.   I'm just praying this will be the LAST surgery for a long, long, long time, if ever.  

I do feel a major change in my back.  I would go so far as to say that I look like a different person.   ;)

I was shocked the other night when I mentioned an Errol Flynn movie and learned that Thelma didn't know who he was!  I expect that from people younger then me but not older :o !! I didn't think would be possible!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:51:50 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 06:53:46 AM »

TD, my house is gone!  It must have sold in the past week because I was going to take another a peek at it this morning on the Realtor site and it wasn't there!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2007, 06:59:07 AM »

TOD

LadyHawke

Rutger Hauer.  Need I say more?  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2007, 07:00:28 AM »

I also like butterscotch.  I don't really seek it or crave it but if it's available, I'll have some.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

td

• td
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2007, 07:06:35 AM »

TD, my house is gone!  It must have sold in the past week because I was going to take another a peek at it this morning on the Realtor site and it wasn't there!

That means it's time for you to get your buttcheeks back here and starting looking at houses in person!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Danise

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2007, 07:09:47 AM »

That means it's time for you to get your buttcheeks back here and starting looking at houses in person!

;D Maybe next summer.  We'll see!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2007, 07:18:35 AM »

Good morning!

Another warm day for November. Going to be in the mid to upper 70s today. This morning, I was out of the house to go to my dental appointment for a cleaning at 7:10, and I was only in shirtsleeves. That's how warm it is!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2007, 07:19:54 AM »

Thank you, DR Elmore, for the book reference. Very interesting. I know L&O often bases its cases on real life events. This I found very bizarre.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2007, 07:21:40 AM »

Try as I might, I can't summon up any outrage over bk's opinion of THE PRINCESS BRIDE. While I found it pleasant fun when I first saw it, it's never been a favorite and I have no feelings one way or the other about it.

It must be a GREAT favorite, however, since they keep releasing new DVD versions of the film. There must have been three or four different releases of the movie since the inception of DVD.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2007, 07:23:15 AM »

I will say this about THE PRINCESS BRIDE. I've never been in a show that had a great contingent of male actors in it (WEST SIDE STORY, 1776, LAST MEETING OF THE KNIGHTS OF THE WHITE MAGNOLIA) that there weren't several who could quote the movie verbatum.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2007, 07:25:22 AM »

This afternoon I'll be watching PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END. Disney is overnighting the DVD to me so I can participate in an on-line press junket for the movie tonight at 7:30. I read almost nothing kind about the movie (didn't see this one in theaters; I have seen the other two), so I don't really know what to think it'll be like.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2007, 07:26:34 AM »

As for those kinds of fantasies, I liked BIG FISH and WILLY WONKA (both versions), but my favorite is THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2007, 07:28:57 AM »

I am having lunch out this afternoon with best friend John (our only lunch this week), so my viewing will be on a slightly different schedule for a Tuesday.

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2007, 07:30:23 AM »

Unseasonably warm here in SW Ohio, too.  I just walked across the street to mail thank-you notes to the panelists from last week's grantmaker program and it's eerily warm and still.  We're supposed to have thunderstorms tomorrow and a 20-degree drop in temps.  Of course, the thermostat inside our building is set for winter, so it's stifling inside.

Danise

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2007, 07:41:03 AM »

My understanding is that the middle of the country is going to change, weather wise, quite rapidly in the next day.

Our weather guy said that Denver was knocking on 80 degrees and will be in the single digits by Friday!  Wow!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2007, 07:42:39 AM »

Thelma just called and is on her way to pick me up for my appointment.  She's also going to take me to the grocery store and the post office.  I'm so grateful for her help.  I don't know what I would have done without her!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

FJL

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2007, 07:46:13 AM »

Caught up, but I have to do some tax stuff now.

singdaw

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2007, 07:48:13 AM »

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2007, 07:58:37 AM »

Hmm... The Lovely Wife(tm) and I are both big Princess Bride fans (and TLW can quote nearly every Rob Reiner film out there), but I certainly can understand bk's issues. Not being so wrapped up in movie scores, that issue was never one for me. For my money, though, TPB is the only movie that I know where I love the movie as much as the book (I've long joked that my epitaph will be "the book was better."), albeit for entirely different reasons.

I suppose that telling you that we routinely re-enact the Billy Crystal/Carol Kane sequence ("Get away from me, witch!... Humperdinck, Humperdinck, Humperdinck...I'm not listening") would probably qualify as TMI, so I'll refrain... :)

The one part of the extras that I loved was finding out that Andre the Giant got rides to school from Samuel Beckett... talk about your odd pairings!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2007, 08:08:46 AM »

I don't know whether BK will be amazed at this or not, but "The Princess Bride" has always left me cold, too.

It's all very watchable.  It's not without interest.  But it doesn't have any afterglow for me.  It goes right out of my mind and the biggest problem, I think, is that it never once enters my heart.

Knopfler's score -- and that gosh-awful song -- DO HARM THIS FILM...enormously.  

Another holy grail folks cannot understand my not caring for is "The Godfather."

I see it.  I appreciate it.  It has its moments.  But the overall package, to me, is "Feh"!  Brando is "okay" but not, IMO, brilliant.  I've always thought that reactions to this film, especially among men, have to do with how they saw themselves, or how they felt about life and their place in it, when they saw it.  It's my story (and I'm stickin' to it) that the film revealed things to them they thought only they daydreamed about.  It was an escape that fulfilled a fantasy.  I have my own films like that that most others guys don't like, either, so it's a draw in that regard.

I "get" "The Godfather II" -- this one is the real deal.  But the original is a cold fish for me.  
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:15:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2007, 08:08:59 AM »

I think I'll head down now and watch last night's CSI: MIAMI before my ride comes for lunch.

WBBL.

singdaw

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2007, 08:14:39 AM »

It was an escape that fulfilled a fantasy.  I have my own films like that that most others guys don't like, either

The Red Shoes?    ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2007, 08:15:51 AM »

I'm in agreement with the esteemed BK in re: The Princess Bride.  I wanted to love it, and I don't.  It tries to be the book, and yet it never quite gets there.

It's like I wanted to love Return to Oz, but that film, too, holds me away at an arms distance, unembraceable.  (Only, of course, in the case of RtO it isn't the score thats the problem.)

Last week, while at Sam's Club, der Brucer and I spotted the cover of the new PB20 DVD.  The only thing that I found remarkable was the caligraphy used for the title.  Turn it upside-down, and it's exactly the same!  (There's a word for that kind of stunt, but I can't remember it just now.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up