Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OBSERVATIONS  (Read 10168 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
OBSERVATIONS
« on: August 09, 2010, 12:18:19 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've observed the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently observing the human condition and saying, "Moo."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: OBSERVATIONS
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 12:18:51 AM »

And the word of the day is: FANTOD!

td

• td
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 04:57:11 AM »

I'm up and off to work.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 05:02:23 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 05:08:40 AM »

TOD: Observations on my city? Well, I'll limit it to the dining scene, since that is what my focus has been for the last 11 years. I have seen San Antonio grow and now wane in its culinary variety. There isn't another city in Texas with a restaurant scene quite as vital and tasty. Yet the economy has made too many restaurateurs cut corners in terms of quality, and prices are often too high. There are some great chefs out there, but the rewards all too often come from the ethnic restaurants rather than the places with reputations.

This September, the third branch of the Culinary Institute of America opens. We'll be graduating a new generation of chefs, and hopefully things will pick up so that there will be homes for many of them.

The rest of the city seems to be on a similar parallel, actually. Some of the great names, including Toyota, have experienced economic problems, as well. But thankfully, the job scene is one of the better ones in the nation. And a new military hospital expansion is said to be adding up to 50,000 jobs in the near future. So, here's hoping we come of out this soon and in better shape than ever.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 05:29:52 AM »

Morning all.

Anthony is still asleep. It's our last day in Annapolis. We will leave around noon or 1pm and head back to New York.

The final performance went very well and the closing party was great fun.

Unfortunately, it all has to end and I have to go back to work.

That's all for now.

I hope that London will be in my mailbox when we get home.

FJL

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 05:31:24 AM »

Safe travels, Ben and Ant

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 05:35:13 AM »

TOD:

As much as I miss the "energy" of being in Los Angeles, in many ways I'm glad I'm not there any longer.

Hollywood has been going downhill for decades, and this "revitalization" hasn't done anything to help matters.  Even when I left 1 1/2 years ago, the vagrants were still about, making the place look like a slum.  A glitzy slum, but a slum.

When I first moved to Los Angeles in 1963, one of my enjoyable activities was strolling along Hollywood Blvd. on a Friday night.  It was an exciting place where things still happened.  Not any longer.

All it is now is a discarded memory.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 05:36:09 AM »

Travel vibes for DR BEN & Co.  Lovely story about the anniversary event!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 05:36:50 AM »

MONDAY!!!

I am watching a few Steve Cochran movies that I will be sending along to DR MBARNUM when he gets settled in his new abode.  All of them most interesting if not completely entertaining.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 05:37:20 AM »

On the other hand, the last time I went back to my hometown (Seattle) in 2004, I hardly recognized the place.

In fact, I even got lost trying to find the house that I grew up in.

I guess that everything changes...and not always for the better.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 05:38:19 AM »

MONDAY!!!

I am watching a few Steve Cochran movies that I will be sending along to DR MBARNUM when he gets settled in his new abode.  All of them most interesting if not completely entertaining.

HIGHWAY 301
is a winner!  Excellent gangster movie.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 05:39:23 AM »

I'm told that my book is going to the printers this week.

:)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 05:42:32 AM »

Many things to do today - and then I shall work all afternoon on the Act One Review of My. Lines.

Because tonight we are doing said Act One.

MR BK's notes remind me of why I don't attend much theater anymore - some of it is of course the SHOWS being produced or brought into town.....but much of it is because of the behavior of the audience.  Same reason I don't go to the movies.

I guess my observation is that people in most social situations today act like they would rather be with anyone else and anywhere else than they are - and that YOU and YOUR life are completely unimportant - in fact YOU don't even exist.

My observation about Indianapolis is that we are completely SPORTS-OBSESSED and that any and all public money that those private corporations need to keep those teams in town is available - to the detriment of schools, libraries, police & fire protection, and public works.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 05:42:43 AM »

I shall return.

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 05:45:23 AM »

Today is MONDAY-- everybody's "Let's have FUN" Day!

------or some such thing.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 05:47:22 AM »

Good morning, all! I have a lot of errands to run before I end up at the NYU Dental Clinic. Yesterday, I deposited a check for over a thousand dollars in my Citibank account, but I'm thinking this morning that I used a deposit slip for my Sovereign Bank account. My first erramd is a trip to Citibank to see f I can correct this disaster before I am overdrawn in all bank accounts. Oy!

After that, i have some music to deliver and some work at Toyland, which will put me on 27th Street for most of the morning. After I leave there, I will head down to 23rd Street for a crosstown bus to get me to my 5 pm appointment at the Dental Clinic to have the lesion on my tongue removed. I'm hoping I get a prscription for pain, and, if I do, I'll stop by a pharmacy on my way home.

That's my day.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 06:14:04 AM »

I'm up and announcing.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 06:26:01 AM »

Well, BK, everytime I get nostalgic for LA, I should just read your post today.  The manners and what is happening inside theatres I have observed for many years now.  I loathe miked sound, visible head mics, cell phone dependency, audiences who don't understand proper applause and reaction in a theatre.  I particularly hate shouting, whooping, and what's become de rigeur standing ovations. 

Oddly, enough, I was at the theatre Saturday night in my old home city, Cincinnati.  What I miss in it is what I now miss in most cities.  Shops.  Shopping areas have condensed everywhere.  What you now seem to have are lots of restaurants and hotels, but not much else for folks to do when they are staying and eating downtown.  And, of course, they can't even go to the movies, because all the big movie palaces are gone as well.

Much of this, of course, has to do with flight to the burbs and malls; but I think it also has to do with the internet where people are buying more and more online.  The department store we regularly shopped at is now lofts.  More people are living down town with less to do downtown; I notice this in Lexington as well.  Unless you want to go out every night for dinner or are into bar-hopping, there's really not much to do.

Cincy still has several downtown stage theatres and a great library, but it shops and attractions used to spread out for blocks, now if you go a block past Fountain Square, you won't find much.  I used to have three used bookstores on Main street, now only one is left.

One final bastion remains:  The House of Adam.  A men's clothing store.  We used to refer to it as the House of Pimps, for that's what the style of clothes looked like.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:30:07 AM by Charles Pogue »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 06:34:11 AM »

I've announced.  Trying to decide whether to go back to sleep or not.

td

• td
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 06:41:54 AM »

I neglected to check the schedule which was posted on Friday.  I am not at work today.  Though I did go in to work.  Just another manic Monday.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Cillaliz

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 06:46:20 AM »

Stopping in to say hello then off to work.  I spent 1 1/2 hours cleaning up limbs and the mess left by the storm last night. That big red cell went right through here.  It was raining and blowing so hard (over 60 mph) that I couldn't see the road out side my house.  So I took the cats and went to the basement.  When I came up, I saw a big limb down in front of the house  (a 6-7 inch in diameter limb and really long) with lots of smaller limbs.  The apple tree (a little tree) was at a 45 degree angle. 

Anyway, I didn't go anywhere, they told us not to drive around because of downed trees and power lines.  I didn't lose power, but the cable went out and when I called in they said it was city-wide and no time frame for it to go back, so I went to bed.

Cillaliz

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 06:51:34 AM »

This morning I got up at 5:30 am and was outside by 6:15 AM clearing more of the downed limbs.  I stopped at 7:30 AM and cleaned up for work.  We're sort of closed today, Edith is gone. I have an appointment at 10:00 and a pretrial conference this afternoon.  I have a lot to do to today, but I'm pooped!  We have a heat advisory today. Oy! 

Better get to the office. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 06:51:52 AM »

I love Sioux City, I'll say more later

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 07:28:50 AM »

I forgot to mention that I had one very peculiar dream last night in which Joshie, Jonathan Tunick, and I were all working on the same project with a crazy copyist!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 07:30:21 AM »

And the word of the day is: FANTOD!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  I'M CALM

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 07:52:02 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I have a real "today is the first day of the rest of my life" feeling this morning.  Mostly in a good way, but the enormity of last week has begun to sink in.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 08:02:58 AM »

TOD:

The Manhattan neighborhood in which I live (which has been referenced in musicals by Stephen Sondheim, Cole Porter, and Jason Robert Brown - see if you can figure it out) has gone through several cycles of change in my 35 years, both good and bad:

* Early 1980s - people fled to the suburbs or outer buroughs in droves, as drug use, muggings, and vandalism escalated.

* Late 80s/early 90s - The hemorrhaging slows a bit, as a transient population of recent college grads and newlyweds stay for 3-5 years before moving on. This does not much help some of the established communities, particularly the German Jewish community which was a neighborhood mainstay during the 50s and 60s. A half-dozen synagogues close and/or merge with each other to stay functional.

* Mid/late 90s - Crime reduction and relatively affordable housing starts drawing in the artistic crowd: musicians, actors, and fine artists, particularly ones with families, move in in droves. Local parks and playgrounds get makeovers. Housing prices start to rise.

* Early '00s - A trickle of young Modern Orthodox Jewish singles turns into a stream, then a flood. One once-dying synagogue in particular benefits from the newcomers, seeing its membership increase nearly 10-fold in a five-year period. Other professionals move in as well, particularly clustered around one desirable school district. Housing prices move into the unaffordable range. As commercial landlords raise rents, whole blocks of mom-and-pop stores close down, to be replaced by chain stores, "upscale" boutiques, and fusion restaurants.

* Mid '00s - present: Idiotically greedy developers start building "luxury" condominiums in the working-class and slum parts of the neighborhood. Some projects run out of money during development, leaving ugly holes in the ground, while others get completed, leaving ugly, half-empty buildings in their wake. Rental prices hit the "absurd" point, causing a repeat of the early '80s flight to the 'burbs and outer boroughs, albeit for different reasons.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 08:03:21 AM »

GINNY!!!

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 08:09:29 AM »

Hi, DR Elan - do you live in Hell's Kitchen?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up