Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A POCKETFUL OF MIRACLES  (Read 4071 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: A POCKETFUL OF MIRACLES
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 08:47:24 AM »

Speaking of miracles, I think it is a miracle that these butterflies flew hundreds and hundreds of miles to get to this spot to spend the winter.

http://andthisiswhatisawtoday.blogspot.com/2016/11/overwintering-monarchs.html

It is amazing when you think about it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:28:50 AM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 08:47:50 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  At 1pm, Richard and I have to go to the nearby Presbyterian church for the funeral of another of his teaching colleagues.  This is getting depressing...

:(

Jane

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 08:48:33 AM »

Thanks to the superior customer service of Delta, I actually managed to get all of my flights into on day yesterday and got home by 11:50 p.m.

Thank you, all, for the travel vibes. They really helped.

Wonderful.  Welcome home!

Jane

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 08:49:28 AM »

Now I have to go see if my luggage has arrived at the airport. That Delta couldn't get in time last night.

Good luck!

Jane

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 08:49:57 AM »

Ginny, I am pleased Richard is feeling good better.

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 08:51:46 AM »

Ginny, I am pleased Richard is feeling good better.

Thanks, DR Jane!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »

Back to Mahler for a moment --

If I ever kept a program of the Szell concert, it's long gone, but oddly enough I have this pamphlet showing it, third concert of the season.  That Thursday evening was also my first time in Severance Hall, so the whole experience doubly blew me away.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 10:25:19 AM »

~~~Strong and Most Excellent Vibes and Xylophones for a Large Pocketful of Miracles for BK and (I assume) Kritzerland!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 10:26:05 AM »

Speaking of miracles, I think it is a miracle that these butterflies flew hundreds and hundreds of miles to get to this spot to spend the winter.

Very nice, Laura. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2016, 10:26:14 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  At 1pm, Richard and I have to go to the nearby Presbyterian church for the funeral of another of his teaching colleagues.  This is getting depressing...

My condolences to Richard. :(

Jane

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 10:29:20 AM »

Very nice, Laura. :)

And now that I am on my computer I can see how beautiful these photos are.

ChasSmith

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 10:34:23 AM »

Sorry to hear that news, DR Ginny.

ChasSmith

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2016, 10:35:26 AM »

Those photos are incredible, DR Laura!

The photos themselves, and of course the subjects.  Really, truly incredible.

ChasSmith

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2016, 10:47:12 AM »

Okay, one more thing.  I apparently don't even have my program from when we played the Sixth (I played the celesta) a couple of years later at the school.  It was a Sunday afternoon concert added to the schedule after the school year had begun.  What I do have, and it's one of my most precious things, is a perfect vinyl copy of the master tape made of that concert.  It's a stunning performance and recording. 

(I can tell you first hand that these were captured with two mics hanging just above and behind the conductor, in a near-Mercury-level close-miked style, into tubed Macintosh amps and Crown professional tape decks.)

George

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 10:58:40 AM »

Thanks to the superior customer service of Delta, I actually managed to get all of my flights into on day yesterday and got home by 11:50 p.m.

Thank you, all, for the travel vibes. They really helped.

Welcome home, John!

George

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »

Now I have to go see if my luggage has arrived at the airport. That Delta couldn't get in time last night.

Good luck!

Ditto!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2016, 11:07:06 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - had trouble falling asleep, so maybe I got six hours.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2016, 11:28:50 AM »

DR John, are you awake and functioning ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2016, 11:34:21 AM »

Funny about the Szell Mahler sixth, a performance I'm very fond of.  At some point recently I got a Japanese import mini-LP of it but hadn't played it.  In reading up about various other performances pre purchasing the Bernstein set, I got the history of the Szell, which is interesting.  As pointed out, it was recorded live, but NOT for release on LP but for radio broadcast.  Many posit that Szell would never have authorized an LP release, and indeed it was released several years after his passing.  I had a memory that not only the performance was wonderful but that the sound was, too.  So, I popped in the Japanese issue and my memory was quite wrong - it really doesn't sound so hot.  Especially compared to other recordings.  I haven't gotten to it in this Bernstein set, but I can tell you after hearing the first, second, third, and fifth symphonies, the sound in this box set is absolutely brilliant and 100% better than any previous CD releases of these Bernstein performances.  I will also say that while I know the sixth and the adagio from the tenth extremely well, and the fifth pretty well, the others I've heard maybe once or twice, mostly due to the length - the second, for example, lasts almost ninety minutes.  But those first two symphonies are really kind of magnificent and I'm a third of the way into the third and it's just as great.  I had to laugh at one Amazon review that praised Bernstein and the orchestra but didn't "get" the music at all - no melodies, cried this guy.  This music is filled with glorious melodies - how anyone can't hear them is astonishing to me - I would understand not liking them - that's a personal thing - but no melody?

Jane

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2016, 11:34:47 AM »

John, we are on the verge of purchasing a flight to Austin, unless we decide to go a completely non-stop direction.  Going to Austin complicates the trip, however......

Waco nearby has some interesting museums.  Keith is interested in the Dr. Pepper on and the Texas Ranger one looks interesting, as do a few others.

Austin has the capital building that seems to me a "must see".  The festival of lights at Zilker park look amazing, unless the crowds ruin it.

Keith said we could spend the night in Marcus on our way back from San Antonio (yes we would have a car) but I can't see much to do.

Any suggestions?  Should we do this trip during a warmer season?

I have never been to Texas and most of it looks very interesting and beautiful.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »

I'm gonna go eat in a bit and get that out of the way, then I really have to mush on with the liner notes, but I also have to finish reading a script at some point today.

ChasSmith

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2016, 12:22:12 PM »

Definitely the weekly FM broadcast recording.  WCLV.  I remember listening to them most weeks.

Agree that Szell probably would never have authorized such a thing, so it's kind of amusing that the release (the Columbia LP is dated 1972) was a "Szell Memorial Tribute" or some such.  I don't know if they issued any others.  The last side is the two Mahler Tenth movements ported over from his earlier release on the Epic label.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 12:48:11 PM by ChasSmith »

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2016, 12:31:30 PM »

My condolences to Richard. :(

Thanks, DR George.  This was someone who was significant to Richard's career with the school district.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2016, 12:32:08 PM »

Sorry to hear that news, DR Ginny.

Thank you, DR Chas Smith.

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2016, 12:33:30 PM »

In more cheerful news, it turns out that my niece Laura is coming this weekend and we'll have our Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday.  Then, Rob and Mary Linda will go to her family's home in Michigan for the actual holiday and Richard and I can go to my favorite restaurant, The Grand Finale!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »

Back from a Chinese chicken salad and a bagel.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2016, 01:44:06 PM »

DR John, are you awake and functioning ;)

I am now.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2016, 01:53:09 PM »

John, we are on the verge of purchasing a flight to Austin, unless we decide to go a completely non-stop direction.  Going to Austin complicates the trip, however......

Waco nearby has some interesting museums.  Keith is interested in the Dr. Pepper on and the Texas Ranger one looks interesting, as do a few others.

Austin has the capital building that seems to me a "must see".  The festival of lights at Zilker park look amazing, unless the crowds ruin it.

Keith said we could spend the night in Marcus on our way back from San Antonio (yes we would have a car) but I can't see much to do.

Any suggestions?  Should we do this trip during a warmer season?

I have never been to Texas and most of it looks very interesting and beautiful.

San Marcos is a college town. It's pretty, but it doesn't have much to see, as least as far as I've seen.

I don't think the time of year is bad. In fact, I think it's a beautiful time of year. The Hill Country has plenty to see, though Fredericksburg might be more charming than San Marcos.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2016, 01:56:10 PM »

Watching Central Intelligence right now. Waiting to laugh.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2016, 01:56:22 PM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up