Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LEAPING PHRASE  (Read 21089 times)

td

• td
Re:THE LEAPING PHRASE
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2004, 12:46:27 PM »

Another thing about the Golden Globes - - why don't I ever see people like Panni, Charles Pogue, BK or Jane on these shows? ? ? ? ?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Emily

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2004, 12:47:01 PM »

A REQUEST TO ALL NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKING (NORTH AMERICAN VARIETY ONLY - SORRY TOMOVOZ) HAINSIES AND KIMLETS

Remeber the "Mary, Merry, Marry" debate we were all ape over a couple of months ago?  Also remember the fact that I am now enrolled in the author of that paper's Sociolinguistics class?  Remember how much enjoyment you get out of filling out short yet fascinating questionaires about yourself and and your speech habits?  Most of all... remember how much you ADORE me and want to see me do unbelievably fantastically in said Sociolinguistics class? ;)

To make a long introduction paragraph come to a much anticipated ending - would all of you wonderful Hainsies and Kimlets who are native English speakers (North American ONLY) possibly follow the link to my teacher's website and fill out a short questionnaire on your choice of vocabulary?  

All you have to do is remember the following things:

1) Under the heading "NAME" do NOT put YOUR name.  Instead put MINE (so that the prof knows which students completed the task of finding the required number of questionees).  In case any of you don't know my full name is EMILY KULIN.  

2) Try to remember instances of what you say in a certain situation and not just think of what you think sounds most familiar (because we hear others who might not share our "quirky" speech habits more than we do ourselves)

3) Please Private Message me if you fill out the form so that I know how many have been completed

Thanks for all who take the time to help me out!!! :D

http://www.arts.mcgill.ca/programs/linguistics/faculty/boberg/

(All you have to do is click on the above link and then that for "Vocabulary Survey" on the left hand side of the page)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 12:56:52 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2004, 12:48:24 PM »

And then, of course, I must make an odssey someday to the legendary Powells Book Store in Portland.

Oh, yes, you can get lost in that place! But what a wonderful place to be lost in!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2004, 12:59:08 PM »

DR Emily: I feel so excluded. I shall cope. I hope you can post some of the results.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 01:20:26 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2004, 01:10:10 PM »

Another thing about the Golden Globes - - why don't I ever see people like Panni, Charles Pogue, BK or Jane on these shows? ? ? ? ?
I don't know about the others, but I don't have a gown tacky enough.

Panni

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2004, 01:12:58 PM »

Re Ashland - I considered moving there at one point some years back. No, I'd never seen it - but it just sounded so perfect. That was back in the days when I was looking for The Perfect Place. Eventually, I figured out that nowhere is perfect. Some places are just better than others.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 01:14:30 PM by Panni »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2004, 01:18:41 PM »

Man, what is WITH Mondays?  There are actually quite a few people with us, but they are staring into their oatmeal instead of posting.  

I got (finally!) my third and final blurb for Kritzer Time.  It's from Gary Owens (who blurbed the first two - he and Dick Lochte are my good luck charms) so I'm happy to have it, and I sent it off to the publishers so they can add it.

"A pop culture gem. Bruce is the greatest writer of this genre since my friend Jean Shepard.  Anytime Is Kritzer Time!"

Nope, I finished my oatmeal before I began posting. ;)

Nice blurb! :)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2004, 01:19:44 PM »

I don't have any problem with that statement. None of the critics' and film groups that give year end awards have any more members than the Hollywood Foreign Press other than the AMPAS. And how many members of the National Board of Review actually have jobs as critics or journalists? They keep their membership lists MUCH more secretive than the HFPA does.

Once you start pointing fingers at one group, it seems unfair when there are other groups whose awards have just as much to be suspect about as the GGs.

Right, it's not quantity, is the quality of critical acumen.

The Golden Globe voters ain't a brain trust.  They're just the foreign journalists who got the not-so-plum assignment of the Hollywood beat.  I say not-so-plum because foreign countries don't have the same mania for movie news that we do in the USA.  For all we know, those 90 voters include the cultural editor in some not-widely circulated rag in Trinidad or Chad.

Re: Faith Radio Hour -- Great to hear the Subways Are For Sleeping overture in any form.  I think it's Styne's best
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2004, 01:20:04 PM »

Actually, td, the only time that I attended the evening I was sitting so far back you would not have seen me. A post from yesterday or the day before explains the whole sordid tale of the lost table.

The funniest line of the evening last night came from Ricky Gervais. I'm paraphrasing - and probably badly: "We're from Britain. You know, the country that used to run the world before you."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 01:32:06 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2004, 01:23:51 PM »

Right, it's not quantity, is the quality of critical acumen.
The Golden Globe voters ain't a brain trust.
I have no idea what the group is like these days, but on the only occasion I spent time with them (I'm talking about luncheons and things of that type) "ain't a brain trust" would be an understatement of gigantic proportions.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 01:26:14 PM by Panni »

Tomovoz

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2004, 01:23:58 PM »

DR Panni I am sure that are a few DRs who can lend you a tacky enough gown. Maybe there are some preloved Dame Edna frocks available.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2004, 01:29:36 PM »

Just in case folks lost track since they've changed their calendar this year, but Oscar nominations are announced tomorrow morning, so all this awards talk will continue right on into tomorrow.

What fun!   ;D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2004, 01:30:07 PM »

DR Panni I am sure that are a few DRs who can lend you a tacky enough gown. Maybe there are some preloved Dame Edna frocks available.
I appreciate the offer, DR Tomovoz, but I don't think Dame Edna's frock would fit me unless I went on Charlize Theron's Krispy Kreme diet. I'm willing to try, however (the gown, not the diet) as I do think the lady has impeccable taste.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2004, 01:33:59 PM »

DR der Brucer would be glad to help out!  (At least, I think he packed up some of the old things!   ;D)

But they would probably fit Charles and BK better than you!   :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2004, 01:56:57 PM »

Dear Emily: I was trying to send you a private message, but it appears your in-box is full.

If you could check with your Prof (or, better, one of his assistants), I'd like to know if my reply to the survey was received.  (I included my own name with yours in the name block.)  If not, I'll gladly take the survey again; these things are fascinating.  There may be a problem with the different servers not playing well together.  If that's the case, I can send you my answers, so that you can forward them or hand them in directly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2004, 01:59:19 PM »

Emily your mailbox is empty. I just completed the questionnaire.  

Jane

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2004, 02:00:42 PM »

I don't know about the others, but I don't have a gown tacky enough.

LOL :D

Then you have been to Ashland?  

Panni

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2004, 02:06:36 PM »

I'm seeing a lovely new wardrobe coming together here! This is the BEST site on the internet bar none.

Emily

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2004, 02:08:19 PM »

All this talk about ugly dresses led me to think about this web gem:

http://www.uglydress.com/
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jed

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2004, 02:16:27 PM »

Ah yes, Mr. Pogue, you (and everyone else, for that matter) owe it to yourself to enjoy Oregon sometime.  A very lovely state, with many areas worth exploring.  The Ashland area where Jane is has fantastic scenic appeal (my great-grandparents lived in Jacksonville, that's how I have my familiarity with southern OR), Portland is a wonderful city (yes, Powell's Books is everything you've heard it is) with an under-acknowledged restaurant scene, and I am a huge fan of the Oregon coast (particularly the central coast, around Yachats and Florence, for my tastes).

Geez, you'd think I was the one who worked for the State of Oregon, not MBarnum!

When I look down the road at grad school in a few years, Eugene and the U of O keeps singing its siren song to me.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2004, 02:23:57 PM »

ROTFLMAO!! ;D

Especially THIS wedding dress!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura II

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2004, 03:02:42 PM »

BK, while I was truant, I caught up with something. I must say that I loved it!! I especially enjoyed the last line. I had intended to ask you if you had ever heard from the girl again, but the last page answered my question!

GGs: I caught bits and pieces...I just thought it was fun to see Nicole Kidman turn and mouth "She's good" when Charlize Theron won. That's better than being caught saying something nasty! :)
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2004, 03:08:05 PM »

[
To make a long introduction paragraph come to a much anticipated ending - would all of you wonderful Hainsies and Kimlets who are native English speakers (North American ONLY) possibly follow the link to my teacher's website and fill out a short questionnaire on your choice of vocabulary?  

Well, that was revealing. I was born and raised in Philadelphia; attended college in the south, then spent 6 years in Virgina, 2 years in New England (RI and ME), and the rest of my years in southern CA.

As I read the questions I could almost have answered each one two ways - the phrase I learned, and the more formal phrase I'll often use today.

Actually, the Philly background provided even more archaic phrase than some offered, like: Ice Chest, Ash Bucket, Cupboard (for a closet).

der Brucer (what no Pretty Sticker atop the page for getting all the answers right!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2004, 03:11:05 PM »

Looks like a drag queens closet!

der Brucer (Wong Foo would be pleased)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2004, 03:16:02 PM »

...I just thought it was fun to see Nicole Kidman turn and mouth "She's good" when Charlize Theron won. That's better than being caught saying something nasty! :)

And considering her career started with "Children of the Corn III (1995)", it has progressed.

der Brucer (DR SWW and I knew the Producer of CotCIII - he was a Log Cabin chap)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2004, 03:46:43 PM »

Laura II - GREAT!  Now you'll be all ready for Kritzer Time.  Don't forget to write reviews at amazon - every little bit helps.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2004, 04:04:51 PM »

RE: GG- Clint Eastwood looks like he had to climb out of the grave to get there.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jane

« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2004, 04:13:12 PM »

I’m not sure why I was mentioned but I’m honored to have been so.  I’m also reminded of the time I was invited, by this really nice guy, to go to the Academy Awards when I was in high school.  I was very excited to be invited and wanted very much to go.  I couldn’t afford a dress and asked my parents-well, I was young enough I also had to ask their permission to go.  My parents thought it was a waste of money, which they could easily afford, to purchase a dress I wouldn’t wear again.  So I missed my big chance.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2004, 04:15:21 PM »

Jane, are you still on? I was at Auntie Eleanor's on Sturday, to take a keepsake. I took the wedding silver, marked with an "L" for you and Keith.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2004, 04:17:01 PM »

PS - hey, everyone, I have the tackiest evening gowns in the world. For the longest time, my entire wardrobe consisted of jeans, sweats, and evening gowns... but nobody ever asked me to go to an awards show in them.
PennyO
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up