Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE GRECIAN URN  (Read 76501 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:ONE GRECIAN URN
« Reply #510 on: January 07, 2007, 02:26:55 PM »

lovely picture of boo, cilla
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #511 on: January 07, 2007, 02:32:19 PM »

I haven't bought my TurboTax yet, but I certainly will and will do my taxes myself again this year. After some trepidation last year, things seemed to turn out OK, so I'm not quite as tentative to do them myself this year.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #512 on: January 07, 2007, 02:32:47 PM »

Now, I'm off to clean my bathroom and then back to TV for the evening.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #513 on: January 07, 2007, 02:46:45 PM »

I've always heard that the parts of "My White Knight" that aren't a part of "Being in Love" were actually written by Frank Loesser (who was one of the producers of the original Broadway show), and that Willson rewrote those parts so the entire score would be by him. Any truth to this?

Loesser published the score to THE MUSIC MAN, and he hated the original version of "My White Knight" because he thought it should be a ballad and not the loose soliloquoy it originally was.  Willson kept revising it, I gather: the version Barbara Cook sings on the Carnegie Hall concert recording is different from the number as she supposedly sang it on opening night in New Haven and as it's published in Willson's book.   I don't know if Loesser took the material and reshaped it himself or if he bullied Willson into doing it, but I gather the number as it opened on Broadway is Loesser's attempt to turn it into a formal Broadway ballad.  I got that much about it from Jo Loesser.  

I suspect "My White Knight" was both an attempt to write something for an Oscar nomination and to rid himself of possible bad feelings about the original number.

There's still more to the story of "My White Knight."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #514 on: January 07, 2007, 02:52:26 PM »

There's something I'm surprised no one has yet asked today...

Exactly how much does one Grecian urn?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #515 on: January 07, 2007, 03:15:25 PM »

I've made it to page 11.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #516 on: January 07, 2007, 03:23:07 PM »

Oh my gosh i see we have another day with a lot of posts. Not sure if i can catch up.

Tonight is the return of reality tv, with GREASE and APPRENTICE. I will tape DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

Cillaliz

« Reply #517 on: January 07, 2007, 03:25:26 PM »

Only in the midwest does the weatherman describe a forecast for 60 mile per hour winds as "breezy"

Cillaliz

« Reply #518 on: January 07, 2007, 03:26:08 PM »

Ah, winter is coming...it will be here Thursday night.

Cillaliz

« Reply #519 on: January 07, 2007, 03:27:58 PM »

My mom bought some home made uncooked frozen apple pies at a church bizarre. She gave me one when I was home and it's now in the oven. They cook 1 1/2 hours...anyway, it's been in almost an hour and is starting to smell fabulous

Cillaliz

« Reply #520 on: January 07, 2007, 03:30:21 PM »

Not sure I'm really interested in the Grease thing..I've never been a Grease fan...but morbid curiousity or something like that, will lead me to watch tonight

Cillaliz

« Reply #521 on: January 07, 2007, 03:31:47 PM »

I do know I won't go see it on Broadway. No interest what-so-ever.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #522 on: January 07, 2007, 03:33:38 PM »

I'll be opting for Iron Chef America.  Mario Batali will be challenged by some fellow who specializes in south-east Asian cuisine - and interesting match-up on cooking styles.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #523 on: January 07, 2007, 03:36:58 PM »

Was it yesterday we were talking about dreams? I had one last night where I agreed to buy a house I had never seen, well not all of it. There were more and more rooms..and I was buying it from acquaintances who aren't really friends, but sort of...so I get to the last room and realize I'd have to move again and that I really like my house and I am very torn, I finally say I don't want to move, I'm not buying the house. Then I hope that I hadn't signed anything...then I woke up.  Going from room to room in the house was very detailed...

Maybe I just watched too many episodes of flip this house

Tomovoz

« Reply #524 on: January 07, 2007, 03:41:52 PM »

In Oz people would assume you were discussing a peppermint candy bar on the board today.  "White Knights" have been on sale here since at leat the 1950's.

I'm not a fan of "Tootsie" nor "Music Man".. Maybe it's a "cultural" thing.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #525 on: January 07, 2007, 03:44:53 PM »

"Tarry" and "Marry". Of course they rhyme perfectly.
So do Larry and Harry.

Hairy, Lairy and Mary.

Jerry, merry and berry.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #526 on: January 07, 2007, 03:57:56 PM »

Will Murray like the furry curry?  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #527 on: January 07, 2007, 04:00:26 PM »

Oh, decisions, decisions.

Tonight's dinner is already set (steaks, baked taters, wilted spinach).

Tomorrow's dinner needs some planning, though.  I won't be getting off work until 9:30 pm, and der B is sure to have a grumbly tumbly and want me to get cooking.

I'm half-way thinking that breakfast for dinner might be a very good idea.

Tomovoz

« Reply #528 on: January 07, 2007, 04:09:17 PM »

Fir and fur are homonyms. In the NW "for" and "four" would be in the same list I guess.

I do find it interesting - and at least none of us is from New Zealand.
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #529 on: January 07, 2007, 04:10:19 PM »

Boo was feeling left out, so she posed for this shot

That picture put one h * E * double hockey sticks of a grin on my face!

MBarnum

« Reply #530 on: January 07, 2007, 04:16:25 PM »

I am not going to be watching the Grease casting show, although I think it is a novel idea and it is certainly a good promotional stunt for the play.

I have nothing against the idea of this program at all,  I just don't want to get hooked on another show! LOL! I have a lot already on my DVR that I haven't had a chance to even look at yet.

I think have two newcomers in the lead roles will be swell...I will be most interested in who will fill the rest of the roles.

Tomovoz

« Reply #531 on: January 07, 2007, 04:20:32 PM »

The leads of the "The Sound of Music" and "Grease" in London's West End were cast by the "Realty show" process!

Clever way of making money from a time consuming process!
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #532 on: January 07, 2007, 04:26:28 PM »

Due to the influence of our own DR Edisaurus, I have been adding documentary films to my NetFlix queue...a few I even moved to the top of my queue.

Right now I am watching SHANGHAI GHETTO which is about European (and some Arab) Jews who left their homes in the late 30s to flee the Nazis, leaving by boat to the only place that would take them...a very poor section of bustling Shanghai, China.

Lots of interviews by people who were there.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #533 on: January 07, 2007, 04:29:34 PM »

Good Evening!

WOW!  There were just as many pages of new posts when I got back earlier, as there were pages of "old posts".

*And I'd have to say, you can blame me, Jose, and[/b] Ron!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #534 on: January 07, 2007, 04:31:26 PM »

Ancient songwriting lecture joke:

You know, when it comes right down to it, there are really only four basic kinds of songs in musical theater

1.  I'm in love

2.  I wish I were in love

3.  I'm glad I'm not in love

4.  Shipoopi

This list has been copied and pasted onto my desk top (via Stickies)!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #535 on: January 07, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »

What if You're the One That I Want tanks, ratings-wise. Will they still do the Broadway show?

Well.. It would have to really tank for the show not to go on.  However, the run of the show is relatively short from what I remember - the first two weeks are taped shows of the preliminary rounds, and then it's just eight or nine live shows after that to the finals.  -The show is tentatively scheduled to start full rehearsals in early April, so...  We shall see.

However, after looking at the full page ad in today's New York Times for the upcoming production, I'm hoping the production is not as half-assed as their advertising/logo developer.  It's really an ugly ad.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #536 on: January 07, 2007, 04:39:15 PM »

Loesser published the score to THE MUSIC MAN, and he hated the original version of "My White Knight" because he thought it should be a ballad and not the loose soliloquoy it originally was.  Willson kept revising it, I gather: the version Barbara Cook sings on the Carnegie Hall concert recording is different from the number as she supposedly sang it on opening night in New Haven and as it's published in Willson's book.   I don't know if Loesser took the material and reshaped it himself or if he bullied Willson into doing it, but I gather the number as it opened on Broadway is Loesser's attempt to turn it into a formal Broadway ballad.  I got that much about it from Jo Loesser.  

I suspect "My White Knight" was both an attempt to write something for an Oscar nomination and to rid himself of possible bad feelings about the original number.

There's still more to the story of "My White Knight."

I've always wondered where in the chronology of The Music Man and "My White Knight" the Barbara Cook Carnegie Hall version falls.  The first time I heard it, I thought the song had medleyed into another tune.  Nope.   Hmm...  Maybe if there's a Q&A after the masterclass that Ms. Cook will be giving at Zankel Hall in a few weeks, I'll ask her.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #537 on: January 07, 2007, 04:50:03 PM »

Back from Joan Ryan's - a good session, although I get weary of just hearing a bunch of songs without a point.  We found some interesting stuff, and some stuff has gone into the definite pile.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #538 on: January 07, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »

A Grecian can urn very good money, if they have any talent, that is.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #539 on: January 07, 2007, 04:51:08 PM »

This day is definitely in the top ten, but not quite in the top five yet - however, the evening is young, which is more than I can say.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28   Go Up