Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: FATHER'S DAY  (Read 17277 times)

FJL

Re: FATHER'S DAY
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2011, 08:58:52 PM »

I'm just gonna say if there were mid-show standing ovations then it was all friends of cast and obsessive Sondheim fanatics - no normal, well-behaved theatergoer stands in the middle of a show and I don't care WHAT show it is.  I remember the first time it happened - Hello, Dolly - not the original run, mind you, where the number got sustained rapturous applause and ovation and led to the built-in encore - no, there was no standing there - no, it was the later tours, when Miss Channing's husband would stand up every single performance after that number, after which everyone took his lead.  It's absolutely ridiculous and insulting, in my opinion (IMO, in Internet lingo), and it's suddenly all about the audience and certainly not about the actual show they're seeing - and thus ends my rant.  Nothing personal directed at FJL, who obviously loved the show enough to see it multiple times and I'm sure will be seeing it multiple times again should it in fact actually open in NY.

I didn't shlep to D.C. for the third time to see no well-behaved theatergoers. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2011, 09:22:50 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm tired, a little headachey, and I'm starting to wonder if my sore throat is actually due to something else other than allergies, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2011, 09:24:02 PM »

FJL, glad you had fun.  I would have absolutely loved the energy and the "inappropriate" standing O at intermission.  I love the energy of an audience that is loving a show. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »

I'm finally finishing my laundry.  We have a chance of strong severe thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow, scattered thunderstorms the next day and just rain and storms most of the rest of the week.  oh Joy

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2011, 09:27:11 PM »

Nobody else has mentioned it, so I guess I'm the only who hasn't liked Neil Patrick Harris doing a solo on the line "give another number to me" in "Side by Side." I think it's recognition too early and, well, sort of torpedoes the song. But I'm going to see it Tuesday night, if I can.

DR JohnG - I had to go back and listen to the OCR - a couple of of their versions - as well as review the clip posted by the NY Phil on YouTube... It really doesn't bother me. And it sort of does work if you take into regard his previous "lost-ness" after his "tap solo", and then what comes after the "Side By Side By Side".

One way to see it as not sinking the number is that Bobby is just going along with his friends. They've been singing "What would do without you?" over and over, and now he's just going along with that sentiment. -And the sense of time in Company is anything but linear, so...

Finally, Mr. Sondheim did approve the change, so... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2011, 09:27:56 PM »

I went to take more flood photos today.  It's gone up a lot since I was last out there.  Still not as high as I thought it would be, but we still have two more months and it just keeps raining....  How long is a cubit?  I may need to know in the upcoming weeks

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2011, 09:28:31 PM »

I'm just gonna say if there were mid-show standing ovations then it was all friends of cast and obsessive Sondheim fanatics - no normal, well-behaved theatergoer stands in the middle of a show and I don't care WHAT show it is.  I remember the first time it happened - Hello, Dolly - not the original run, mind you, where the number got sustained rapturous applause and ovation and led to the built-in encore - no, there was no standing there - no, it was the later tours, when Miss Channing's husband would stand up every single performance after that number, after which everyone took his lead.  It's absolutely ridiculous and insulting, in my opinion (IMO, in Internet lingo), and it's suddenly all about the audience and certainly not about the actual show they're seeing - and thus ends my rant.  Nothing personal directed at FJL, who obviously loved the show enough to see it multiple times and I'm sure will be seeing it multiple times again should it in fact actually open in NY.

bk - If people want to stand, let 'em stand. You can just stay seated - although, you probably wouldn't have been in the theatre anyway. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2011, 09:29:51 PM »

I don't feel like posting the photos to Facebook tonight.  I put them in my computer, but have to decide which of the many I took I want to actually upload.  I'll do it tomorrow night.

Cillaliz

« Reply #188 on: June 19, 2011, 09:30:11 PM »

I'm very sleepy, hopefully the clothes are dry.  I'm going to check them and then go to bed.  night

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »

And speaking of the Broadway transfer of the Kennedy Center production of Follies, it is scheduled to start previews July 31 at The Marquis. -The cast - including DR elmore's Dear Friend Ron Raines - started leaking(?) the news earlier today.

*And the auditions I'm playing tomorrow are for the replacements of three ensemble members of Oklahoma! that we will be losing as a result of the transfer of Follies. We will miss them, but we're all very happy that they'll be getting a Broadway Production Contract.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2011, 09:33:43 PM »

DR Cillaliz - I hope you get a good night's rest and sleep tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2011, 09:34:15 PM »

And I hope that DR vixmom and the rest of the vixfamily were able to take a break from cleaning out their basement this past weekend.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »

DR Laura - KITTIES!!!!! :)

Thank You for posting those pics.
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »

They are growing, Jose. I am glad you enjoyed the photos.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »

And now...

I had sort of planned to make one more trip to my storage unit in the morning, but I think I'm just gonna let myself sleep in a bit, and if I happen to get up in time - and feel like it - then I'll do just that. Otherwise, I'll just take my time in the morning, maybe hit the new stretch of The Highline, and then head to the audition in the afternoon. And then dinner, and then the Gala Opening of Shakespeare in the Park. And with that full day ahead of me...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #195 on: June 19, 2011, 09:36:56 PM »

Belated birthday wishes to the DM of DR George.

Thanks, Jane!  We got her the complete series to "Monk"...all eight seasons.  She loves that show and was very happy to get the DVDs!  For Father's Day, we took our dad to see Pearl Django at Dimitriou's Jazz Alley in Seattle a couple of weeks ago.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #196 on: June 19, 2011, 09:40:06 PM »

So, what did everyone have for their Father's Day dinner, or brunch?

Costco pizzas...half combination pizza (mom's choice) and half cheese (for my dad and sister) and a pepperoni (for me).  My sister made a lemon/ginger cake.  It was all delish! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura

« Reply #197 on: June 19, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »

I thought your sister was vegan, George.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: June 19, 2011, 09:45:36 PM »

bk - If people want to stand, let 'em stand. You can just stay seated - although, you probably wouldn't have been in the theatre anyway. ;)

I've accepted people's need to stand up after every show, no matter what show or how good or bad it is - they stood at Baby, It's You - I will never accept people standing DURING a show - then we're at a sporting event or a concert, not a show where we're supposed to be involved and invested.  I love energy as much as the next fellow, and I've been to many what I would call electric performances between cast, play, and audience - and not one of them caused people to actually disrupt the experience by standing up.  Sustained big ovations - sure, and then the show went on.  I'm not the only one who feels like this - but I also know others, especially those involved in the theater or friendly with the cast or obsessed with the writers, feel otherwise.  But, for me anyway, it's off-putting, and of course I would not join those standing mid-performance.  If they want to, yes, that's their business - I don't have to like it and I don't and I would glare at them and there would be little bits of spittle at the corners of my mouth and I would do my impression of she of the Evil Eye - otherwise, I'm jiggy with all of it :)

George

« Reply #199 on: June 19, 2011, 09:51:27 PM »

I thought your sister was vegan, George.

My niece is vegan.  My sister is vegetarian...she still eats cheese and eggs.  I actually get a dozen eggs every couple of weeks for my sister from a coworker who raises chickens.

George

« Reply #200 on: June 19, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »

For Father's Day, I made a CD compilation for my dad (Pearl Django) and created a booklet, but the Word file for the booklet was on my memory stick at my work.  The building's closed on Sundays, but I have a keycard and the code to turn off the alarm.  I got to work, turned off the alarm, finished up the booklet on my computer, printed it, cut it down, left, turned on the alarm and got to Costco without incident...EXCEPT THAT I LEFT MY WALLET AT WORK!  My wallet has my Costco card, my debit card, cash that I was actually going to buy the pizzas with AND the keycard to get back into work.  Crap.  I called my sister and told her that I couldn't buy the pizzas. :( She called her boyfriend who was actually at Costco at that time, so he was able to get food for the gang.  I'll pay him back tomorrow.

George

« Reply #201 on: June 19, 2011, 09:57:04 PM »

I'm finally finishing my laundry.  We have a chance of strong severe thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow, scattered thunderstorms the next day and just rain and storms most of the rest of the week.  oh Joy

I'm doing my laundry.  I'm also watching the two-hour pilot to the new (mini?-)series "Falling Skies" with Noah Wyle.  The problem is that there are times when they are speaking quite quietly because aliens have landed on Earth and have taken over and they (the humans) don't want to get caught.  I can understand mumbling for that reason, but my washing machine is a bit too loud, so I have to turn up the TV to hear what they say and it's all a bit too loud.  And I can't use the closed captioning, because it's never worked on my TV. :P

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »

Hi everyone -

Today's adventure's with DD Ben were great.  We tried going DOWN stairs, but I think we're too young for that.  We hung out with niece Jenna and my sister and her husband.  I coached Jenna for her Honk Jr. audition next week, (she's auditioning for me!) she's very talented, and I hope she does well.  Oh, we also went to the dog park, which was fun.

Now, we're hanging out at home. Tomorrow, DD Ben Goes to Camp....

Laura

« Reply #203 on: June 19, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »

I'm glad it's working out with DD Ben.

Laura

« Reply #204 on: June 19, 2011, 10:31:26 PM »

I miss having a dog.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2011, 11:14:19 PM »

I just gave a mid-show standing ovation - I guess I can adjust to it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2011, 11:14:36 PM »

A standing ovation is a dish best served cold.

George

« Reply #207 on: June 19, 2011, 11:34:05 PM »

A few weeks ago, someone asked Dear Abby about this very issue.  She said that if you don't feel that the show (or moment) deserves a standing-o, then you shouldn't stand.  Quite a few years ago (when the previous Dear Abby was writing the column...actually, the mother of the current Dear Abby), she said that in the situation, you should stand but don't clap.

So, do what you want.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up