Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC, WHITE BOY  (Read 26095 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC, WHITE BOY
« on: July 17, 2008, 12:29:58 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were funky, and now it is time for you to post until the funky white cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:45:56 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC, WHITE BOY
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:30:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: ANODYNE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:32:14 AM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:32:50 AM »

At the end of yesterday's posts tomovoz asked where TCB has been.  Where HAS he been?  Don't want him to miss out on his book and bonus gift.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 12:42:08 AM »

Yesterday at work, we had our annual summer barbecue!  I brought a watermelon that my mom gave me.  It was very good...it was not seedless, so it actually had some taste to it. :) Otherwise, it was your above-average barbecue (we had more than 30 people sign up!) with burgers, hot dogs, salads (green, potato, macaroni), fruits, etc., and some very good desserts, such as assemble-your-own banana splits, carrot cake, brownies and cookies.  A good time was had (and too much food was eaten) by all. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:45:00 AM »

I hope that TCB is alright. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 12:54:55 AM »

"Many anodyne" is a song from "Oklahoma!"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 12:59:35 AM »

APPLE IIE (at work) 1980.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 01:32:19 AM »

We had the Apple IIe at school, but the first computer that I owned was the Texas Instruments 99/4A.  It had a whopping total 16K of memory!

George

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 01:37:39 AM »

It used a tape recorder for memory storage.  To program music, you had to enter three numbers for every note...one for the pitch, one for the volume and one for the duration, and you could only program up to three different notes at any one time.  If you wanted one note to hold while another changed, you had to actually repeat that holding note.  I once programmed "Birdland," recorded by The Manhattan Transfer, but was only able to program half the song at a time (and up to three notes at a time) because there wasn't enough memory for the whole song!  I loved that computer, but my parents sold it at a garage sale when I was away at college. :P

:)

George

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 01:39:49 AM »

And now, to bed.  Good night, Mark and guests. ;D

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 01:56:46 AM »

TOD

KayproII CP/M (circa 1982)

2 5.25 inch floppy drives - one for the Application, one for data (The CP/M OS was on ROM)

First data-linking was via ARPANET (the forerunner of the Internet)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Mark

• What is it, Wellington?
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 02:06:48 AM »

I didn't get my first home computer until 1995; it was some sort of early Power Mac, I guess. Until then, I had been perfectly happy using the computers we had at work. In 1984, when I started while still in high school, the computers we had weren't individual Macs and you did not need a mouse to operate them. All cursor movement was done with keystrokes. God, I loved that. A mouse is fine, I guess, but I never typed or worked faster than on those old terminals. Every single paper I had to write in college was written, and then typeset, on those old machines. It wasn't until the early 1990s that the company finally started transitioning to Macs and mouses; at first, I only needed to work on the Macs once a week ... and those first few times trying to use the mouse were excruciating. I wanted the mouse to go one place, it went the other. I wanted it to go here, it went there. It was maddening. I wanted to shove it in a mouse trap and smash it to bits on many occasions.

As for the Internet, we first started hearing whispers about it in the early 1990s ... maybe 1993 or so. We had one young girl in the office who was offering to teach people how to get their own account/address through the university. I don't even think she was using the term "e-mail" at that point. And so she led a few of us out there into cyberspace, on some sort of shoestring dial-up connection that barely worked, from one -- count 'em one -- machine in the office that had access. You could maybe stay on there 10 minutes, maybe 15 minutes before you just lost the connection. I think the first place I navigated to was a theater-related forum; it might have been rec.arts.theatre.musicals. I posted, asking if anyone had a certain souvenir program I was searching for and, lo and behold, someone had it, I bought it, and I was hooked.

singdaw

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 02:22:16 AM »

DR Jane - thanks for the picture!  Beautiful!!!   :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 05:02:18 AM »

Good morning, all! I thought the trash bag lady should have been dumped.

Another round of final edits this morning and then a cou0le of hours at the NYPL Rare Books Division. Yesterday's session went quite well; we got through the very very long prelude and opening number and the next two numbers in the score. This morning we'll start with No 4, maybe finish the first act.

I have to do some charts on this NYMF show before tomorrow's meeting, and I've got to gewt into the orchestration for Kip Wilborn. July is flying by!

TOD: I never wanted a computer, but when I was offered a used Mac in 2001, I said yes. The one I'm sitting at for the nonce is No. 3, and I like it very much.  Outside of emails and Google, I didn't do much with the first Mac; I was quite busy at the time with the initial phases of the Packard Humanities Institute project.  By the time things quieted down in 2002, I had discovered eBay and was buying a lot of BABES IN TOyLAND items, along with vocal scores and other ephemera of other people's lives.  I occasionally went to Sondheim.com to check things out, but  don't think I ever posted. In 2003, Liz Callaway told me about BK's site, and I went to it, sent BK an email wishing him a happy Thanksgiving, and here I am.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 05:06:12 AM »

bk, enjoy your meeting with Mr. Richard Matheson!   :D

singdaw

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 05:09:32 AM »

Guy Haines records a tune, while his muse looks on...

photo:   Whisper

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 05:37:53 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And, yes, I had a wonderful time in Disneyworld yesterday!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 05:47:11 AM »

But...

When I got back to my room last night at little around 1:30am, I found that the internet system here was having issues.  Online.  Offline.  Online.  Offline.  Then eventually nada.  In any case...

In short, in the span of about 10 hours, I managed to hit all four park: The Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios.  Of course, the rain did start up as soon as the monorail pulled up the Transportation and Ticketing Center, but it wasn't too bad, and it also acted as "crowd control".

I basically walked a loop around each of the parks, rode a few rides, and enjoyed some a attractions.  And I was finally able to ride the Rock'N'Roller Coaster.  Twice!  -As well as the Tower of Terror.  Twice! -During the "extra" Magic Hours at Disney Hollywood (formerly MGM) Studios.

One very cool side effect of the rain was that almost all of the animals were out during the Safari at Animal Kingdom.  A lot of times, if it's too sunny and too hot, most of them end up taking cover to stay cool, but not yesterday.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 05:50:53 AM »

That's great, DR JoseSPiano!   When does your cruise start?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 05:56:47 AM »

I 've been meaning to mention the sad news for over a week: the wonderful French bookstore Librairie de France in Rockefeller Plaza at 5th Avenue is closing. I've been shopping there since 1966, and I stopped in last week after seeing the barber. I was floored by this sad news.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 05:57:24 AM »

That's great, DR JoseSPiano!   When does your cruise start?

At Disneyworld. ;D

singdaw

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 06:02:10 AM »

Oh, DR elmore3003!    ;D

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 06:43:17 AM »

Good day one and all!!

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 06:45:36 AM »

Sorry to hear that Elmore...

I find it sad when unique places like that close... I am not keen on box stores but shop there if I must. BnN is nice  but there is just something nice about small bookstores.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 06:47:45 AM »

I got my first computer in 1992. It was a packard Bell with a thrilling modem  speed of 28.8.

However I do remember using apples and macintosh computers when I was school for doing homework, etc. We did not have internet at that time.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 06:49:53 AM »

Cranford got an emmy nomination for best mini-series

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 06:50:57 AM »

I really enjoyed Cranford.. Very well done and acted.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 06:52:40 AM »

Dame Judith Dench also got a nomination...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 07:02:14 AM »

Too bad I dont live in Pittsburgh.... I could to and see Annie Get your Gun at CLO....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up