Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THEY'RE OFF AND RUNNING  (Read 33246 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:AND THEY'RE OFF AND RUNNING
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 07:46:05 AM »

DR Jennifer,

NBC/Universal is a HUGE conglomerate, and they are spreading broadcasting of the Olympics over many of their cable channels. Various Olympic coverage is on MANY channels throughout the day.

There is no SINGLE channel covering the Olympics in the US.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2008, 07:48:54 AM »

Page Two Dorothy and Toto Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2008, 07:50:06 AM »

Good morning!

More cool morning air after that lovely rain we had last night. It's not as cool as it was this time yesterday morning, but I'll take it without complaint. Hopefully, we'll have more of these mornings.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »

On TV tonight:

MAD MEN

LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT

IN PLAIN SIGHT

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2008, 07:51:11 AM »

I agree, Matt. Great mornings. Only 87 degrees for my walk today!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2008, 07:51:47 AM »

I've decided to put the Blu-ray of NIXON off until Tuesday, so today (and maybe tomorrow), I'll be working on the cartoon series WAYSIDE SCHOOL. I know nothing whatsoever about it except the original books were written by a Newbery-Award winning author. Kind of fun starting something new and different.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2008, 07:52:24 AM »

I agree, Matt. Great mornings. Only 87 degrees for my walk today!

87 there, 64 here. Same difference!

:D

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2008, 07:54:14 AM »

I do have TRANSFORMERS on HBO-HD and INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE on Showtime-HD on the DVR along with Monday's THE MOLE which I still haven't watched. (Probably will while I eat lunch today).

I may interrupt my viewing of WAYSIDE SCHOOL today with one of those two HD movies. I'm particularly interested in INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE and how it looks in HD since the Blu-ray is coming out this fall.

Michael

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2008, 07:54:56 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 08:00:11 AM »

Has anyone watched La Cage Aux Folles in the English dubbed version with English subtitles?

Two different translations.

Also Victor Garbor was the English voice of Albain and Dick Latessa was the English version of Renalto
Never stop dreaming.

JulieC40

• Always keep your options open!
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2008, 08:23:21 AM »

Well, yesterday went out to lunch with a friend at the Cheesecake Factory at Washington Square mall and then went to see the 3rd Mummy movie, which I actually really enjoyed!  The only thing I really didn't like was that Rachel was not in the movie although Maria Bello did a fine job.  I always hate when they have an actor that you know is not young enough to actually be the child of the main characters.  The son is really only 12 years younger than Brendan.  Odd, huh?  I know why they do that but it seemed a little obvious to me.  Okay, that's my critique...although I'm not a professional critiquer, I just play one in HHW land! :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:25:15 AM by JulieC40 »

Cillaliz

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 08:28:13 AM »

Quote from: Cillaliz on Yesterday at 05:49:05pm
I'm enjoying watching the Olympics. I know it's delayed, but as long as I don't know what the results are, it's fun to watch.  

Much of what you watched tonight was live - remember we (on the East Coats) are 12 hours away from China, so tonight we were watching Saturday morning's events.

der Brucer

I was thinking about the gymnastics and other events that were taped.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2008, 08:31:34 AM »

I'm heading down now to get laundry gathered up for washing later today and then I start thinking about what's for lunch.

WBBL.

Cillaliz

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2008, 08:33:40 AM »

JMK's friend, Miss Wyoming, grows up!

LATIMES

Cloned puppies may have exposed 31-year mystery

der Brucer

Man they look alike, don't they?

Cillaliz

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2008, 08:37:37 AM »

RE: the olympics and DR Cillaliz saying it was tape delayed and Der Brucer pointing out the time difference.

Does NBC actually show any events live?  This has always been one of the reasons i've mostly viewed past olympics on CBC (that and that for this instance i like the canadian angle).

CBC shows almost every event live. No matter what time it is on (even if it is in the middle of the night. Doesn't NBC prefer to schedule their events to fit into prime time?  Maybe they would show Michael and swimming around the time it is actually on. But otherwise i doubt it for most.

At least some of the morning events in China are shown live.  The swimming finals were live last night as was the men's volleyball game.   There is a 12 hour time difference, so some events are live and some are memorex

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 08:38:05 AM »

Good morning, all! The laundry is down the street, I'm not going in to Toyland today, and I have a date with our DR Jose at 3:15 to see Skip Kennon's new one-act musical. I am looking forward to it.

Last night, DR CharlesEdwardPogue wrote:

Elmore, how about no movies at all turned into musicals for a good long while.
That's a hard one for me because I believe two things: 1. you should only musicalize something you think you can improve and most boobs pick something successful and screw it up and 2. THE PRODUCERS as a musical is better than the movie.

That said, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN reflects my first thoughts: a perfect black and white comedy homage turned into a technicolor mess with a cast second-rate to its original. Why see it for $100+ when you can buy a decent copy of the original fim for $20 or so?

Last night, our DR Jose wrote:

Are there any sort of records regarding how the public - and the writers - felt back in the 17th, 18th and 19th Centuries felt about plays and stories being adapted into operas and scenas?

I mean... If Beaumarchais and Dumas and Shakespeare(!) had not allowed their stories and plays to be adapted, turned and transformed into operas, just think of the great works of Art we would have been deprived of.  "The Barber of Seville", "The Marriage of Figaro", "Camille", "Romeo and Juliet", "A Midsummer Night's Dream", etc. were not "original" ideas when they were taken on by Mozart, Rossini, Puccini, Verdi, Britten and Bernstein (to name just a few).

Since copyright laws didn't exist, no one was protected. The author sold their rights to the publisher and made nothing after the sale.  Both Beaumarchais comedies were turned into relatively faithful duplicates as opera, "Camille" was originally dramatized by its novelist and his play vwrsion is usually adapted into other media. I would guess that most of the plays - novels require heavier adaptation - turned into opera by Puccini, Verdi, and Britten remain close to their source; operas I can think of that greatly alter their source are CARMEN (from a novella) and TURANDOT (from a commedia dell'arte by Gozzi).  In Prokofiev's ballet ROMEO & JULIET, they have to dance so there's no real balcony scene as there is in Gounod's adaptation.

Of course, there adaptations that go further afield: God knows what Shakespeare would have thought of Thomas' opera of HAMLET ending with Hamlet's being crowned King of Denmark or the 17th Century versions adapted to accommodate Cordelia's rescue and marriage to Edgar or a Purcell masque called THE FAIRY QUEEN. I suspect he'd feel similarly abused as Boccaccio, Chaucer, and Hollingshead most likely would have felt by what Shakespeare did to them.

I've seen some publicity on the operatic FLY and DR CharlesEdwardPogue is indeed mentioned in the publicity. I'm sorry he's not making anything on it, but I suppose it's cold comfort to know that Joseph Mankiewicz made nothing from APPLAUSE because ALL ABOUT EVE was owned by the studio.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 08:41:03 AM »

Well, yesterday went out to lunch with a friend at the Cheesecake Factory at Washington Square mall and then went to see the 3rd Mummy movie, which I actually really enjoyed!  The only thing I really didn't like was that Rachel was not in the movie although Maria Bello did a fine job.  I always hate when they have an actor that you know is not young enough to actually be the child of the main characters.  The son is really only 12 years younger than Brendan.  Odd, huh?  I know why they do that but it seemed a little obvious to me.  Okay, that's my critique...although I'm not a professional critiquer, I just play one in HHW land! :)

Eileen Herlie, who played Laurence Olivier's mother in HAMLET, is 13 years younger than Olivier.

Jessie Royce Landis, who played Cary Grant's mother in NORTH BY NORTHWEST, is 8 years older than Grant.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 08:45:58 AM »

Back from a really, REALLY difficult four-mile jog.  It started out difficult and ended difficult with no stops in between where it ceased being difficult for a few minutes.

Cillaliz

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 08:46:35 AM »

George Bush seems to be having a great time at the Olympics.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 08:47:11 AM »

Back from a really, REALLY difficult four-mile jog.  It started out difficult and ended difficult with no stops in between where it ceased being difficult for a few minutes.

Another reason why I don't jog

JulieC40

• Always keep your options open!
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 08:55:16 AM »

Eileen Herlie, who played Laurence Olivier's mother in HAMLET, is 13 years younger than Olivier.

Jessie Royce Landis, who played Cary Grant's mother in NORTH BY NORTHWEST, is 8 years older than Grant.

I think I knew about the first one you mentioned but not the second one, that is very interesting...now I'll have to watch North By Northwest again!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 09:00:45 AM »

Yesterday, we watched Attack of the Puppet People.  Don't ask me why.    :)

It was fun, but not quite as campy as Queen of Outer Space.

Definitely sounds like HHW influence to me!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:01:09 AM by Jeanne »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2008, 09:01:51 AM »

Oh, yes, hello.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2008, 09:04:53 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I've been hearing "car and voices" outside on the street getting ready for the Dominican Day Parade Festivities.  -And I'm wondering if some of them are really planning on driving into midtown east to watch the parade?  -Especially when the subway will take them right there.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2008, 09:09:36 AM »

DR elmore - First of all, you can get the original movie of "Young Frankenstein" for only $10.00 at Virgin since it always seems to be on sale.

As for copyrights not existing back then, well, that's a given.  I'm just wondering if there are sort of public records in regards to how the writers and the public reacted to and thought of adaptations of one story from one medium to another.  My impression has always been that the writers more or less expected it since any variation on their theme was a way for their work to reach other people.  -Unlike today where a story, show, movie can be shared practically instantly with a click of a mouse.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2008, 09:10:47 AM »

bk - It sounds like you "hit the wall" towards the end of your jog.  -Which means that you probably should have run a bit longer until you cleared it.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2008, 09:13:07 AM »

Re: the health benefits of watermelon:
Watermelon is a great alkalinizer, one of the best. Most of us are too acidic. Meat, fish, dairy products, and sugar are all acid foods. Most fruit and veg are alkaline. Eating watermelon (or drinking the juice) is a very good way to move your body closer to the alkaline state.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2008, 09:14:02 AM »

DR Jose, I think that around 2 pm, I will bus over to Fifth Avenue and take the
bus down to 59th Street. The address is 59 E. 59th between Madison and Park; shall we meet there around 2:45-3 pm?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2008, 09:15:42 AM »

Jane, have you ever tried NAC? It's really good for getting rid of mucus. 500-600 mg 1-3x/day. Once a day usually does it for me. It's an amino acid, available at health food stores, and inexpensive (under $10).

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2008, 09:16:54 AM »

DR Jane - Hope you are feeling better soon.  And ***RECOVERY VIBES*** to your M-I-L!

Thank you.  I haven't had a morning report yet.  Last night she agreed to wear the BiPAP mask again, which is very important for her health at the moment.

I feel lousy this morning, I'm hoping this is the worst day & tomorrow will be better.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up