Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BUCKLE DOWN, WINSOCKI  (Read 18306 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: BUCKLE DOWN, WINSOCKI
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2010, 03:32:03 PM »

I'm back from the class reunion and, well, it was as you might suspect: I talked with the three or four folks that I talked with in high school, said hi to a few more and ignored the rest of the folks that either tormented me or didn't speak to me back then.

I've never been to any of my high school reunions...and have no real desire to do so.  I just don't know those people anymore. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2010, 03:35:29 PM »

And on a lighter note (C-natural), Romantic Comedy has arrived! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2010, 03:39:12 PM »

What's interesting is that the DVD is available from Amazon.com, but not Netflix...but Amazon does have used copies as cheap as 85˘.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »

As those who've read Kritzer Time know, the second show I saw as a young teen at the Huntington Hartford Theater was the national tour of A Thurber Carnival - starring Imogene Coca, King Donavan, and Arthur Treacher.  That show and its humor had a profound effect on my life, all of which I detail in the book.

Ever since I began collecting things, I've had several first editions of Thurber's work and always marveled, especially, at his New Yorker cartoons, which are simply brilliant.  I finally got a signed Thurber first edition, Thurber Country, which is not only signed but also includes a small sketch of a Thurber dog - this was toward the end when he was practically blind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2010, 03:51:32 PM »

When I began collecting illustration art in 1996 or so, one of the first things I asked the Illustration House gallery was if they had any original Thurber drawings.  They did - they had four really nice ones - none of them New Yorker cartoons, but still amusing and wonderfully drawn in the Thurber style.  The cheapest of those was $7,500, way out of my league.  That was fourteen years ago.  In the intervening years, some doodles by him have gone at auction, usually for a couple of thousand bucks.  The highest auction price, for what may or may not have been a published Thurber dog drawing went for $14,500.  In the last fourteen years, no Thurber New Yorker cartoons have been sold in any auctions. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »

Last week, I was offered an original Thurber drawing by a book dealer I know back east.  I was ecstatic, but there was no way I could ever afford it.  Until we began talking about doing a trade.  It took a week to work it out - and today we finalized the deal and the original Thurber drawing will be on its way to me tomorrow and delivered on Wednesday.  Not only that - this particular Thurber drawing is not a doodle or unpublished - this is a 1938 cartoon published in the New Yorker - not only that, it's always been one of my all-time favorites of his and is a perfect specimen of the kind of thing he did so brilliantly for the New Yorker.  Not only that, its provenance is fun, too - this came from the estate of writer Peter DeVries.  To say I am over the moon would be a huge understatement.

Laura

« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2010, 03:57:12 PM »

That's great, BK.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2010, 04:11:02 PM »

Good morning, all! Thank you all for the vibes. The depression continues. I need a good cry, but that's not happening.

Elmore, did I tell you that MBarnum and I are moving in with you beginning September 1 thru the day after Christmas.  Every night another slumber party!

(There, did that help?)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Thom

« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2010, 04:15:36 PM »

As those who've read Kritzer Time know, the second show I saw as a young teen at the Huntington Hartford Theater was the national tour of A Thurber Carnival

Very interesting. Just about 30 minutes ago I read that chapter in "Kritzer Time."  Congratulations to the new owner.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2010, 04:20:36 PM »

What are those, DerBrucer? Lemurs?

They are baby pygmy marmosets.

der Brucer

NATURES MIDGETS

Pygmy Marmoset
The Pygmy Marmoset or Dwarf Monkey is one of the smallest primates and ties with the Slender Loris for smallest monkey. The Dwarf Monkey averages 14 to 16 cm in length (15 to 20 cm including its tail) and weighs 4.2 to 4.9 oz. Native to the rainforest canopies of Brazil, Columbia, Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia, the Dwarf Monkey often snacks on gummy tree sap. 
Source: AP Photo/Froso Zoo
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:32:22 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2010, 04:26:19 PM »

Thanks, Dan. I took it at the sewage ponds.

DR Laura, if you were dancing in the ballet CAKEWALK, you'd be the Queen of the Swamp Lilies! Great photos.

I have been to Alex Rybeck's and I have all the music I need. I guess I have no choice but to get to work.

Alex Rybeck?  Isn't he the host of JEOPARDY?
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »

As those who've read Kritzer Time know, the second show I saw as a young teen at the Huntington Hartford Theater was the national tour of A Thurber Carnival - starring Imogene Coca, King Donavan, and Arthur Treacher.  That show and its humor had a profound effect on my life, all of which I detail in the book.

Ever since I began collecting things, I've had several first editions of Thurber's work and always marveled, especially, at his New Yorker cartoons, which are simply brilliant.  I finally got a signed Thurber first edition, Thurber Country, which is not only signed but also includes a small sketch of a Thurber dog - this was toward the end when he was practically blind.

When I was in High School, the first interpretive reading I did for contest was "The Night The Bed Fell"

Cillaliz

« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2010, 04:31:59 PM »

Last week, I was offered an original Thurber drawing by a book dealer I know back east.  I was ecstatic, but there was no way I could ever afford it.  Until we began talking about doing a trade.  It took a week to work it out - and today we finalized the deal and the original Thurber drawing will be on its way to me tomorrow and delivered on Wednesday.  Not only that - this particular Thurber drawing is not a doodle or unpublished - this is a 1938 cartoon published in the New Yorker - not only that, it's always been one of my all-time favorites of his and is a perfect specimen of the kind of thing he did so brilliantly for the New Yorker.  Not only that, its provenance is fun, too - this came from the estate of writer Peter DeVries.  To say I am over the moon would be a huge understatement.

CONGRATS!!! That's really cool. Glad it worked out

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2010, 04:32:20 PM »

And here is the drawing, as published - this not only appeared in the New Yorker of 1938, but also in the compilation A Thurber Carnival and several other Thurber compendiums.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2010, 04:33:19 PM »

And the original with the caption in Thurber's hand - not the greatest photo (sent by the dealer) but you'll get the idea.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »

That is so classic and is everything I love about Thurber - I'm so happy to have this.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »

DR Laura, you really should your photos to a magazine - for money not for free. Audobon or National Geographic or something. You photos are better than some I've seen published.

Yes, Laura, you really have a gift.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2010, 04:35:37 PM »

In the meantime,

* * * * *  VIBES OF ALL KINDS TO ALL WHO NEED THEM  * * * * *

and Congrats to everyone who did something astounding!

Oh!  Somebody told you that I tied my own shoelaces today.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2010, 04:36:19 PM »

Barry Pearl and I lunched at the Daily Grill (artichoke and the chopped salad), and then went to the Beverly Garland Hotel - that's where we want to do our shows and the lady made us an incredible deal if we book all four shows for the venue.  We'll now sit down at look at the dates we've chosen and figure out how each one would work and the kind of work it's going to take to make these succeed.  If we feel we can, then we'll book.  They need almost nothing down to hold the rooms.  I'm feeling good about this whole thing.

Cillaliz

« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »

I have always enjoyed my class reunions.  We started them after 5 years and have always had a big turnout.  My 30th was last year.  I have more fun with the people I didn't hang out with during school than with the people who were my friends. Our class was around 200 or so, but we always include anyone who was ever in our class, even if they moved away before high school.   

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2010, 04:42:50 PM »

A Thurber Carnival - ...That show and its humor had a profound effect on my life, all of which I detail in the book.

So whre is the CD so I can retire my LP?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »

File this under "I didn't know that he was still alive," but Conductor Mitch Miller dies at age 99.

Wow...99 years old.

Yes, I was asked to sing at his funeral, but I refused to follow that damn bouncing ball.
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »

Excellent news. Congrats.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »

A Thurber Carnival - ...That show and its humor had a profound effect on my life, all of which I detail in the book.

der Brucer
Exactly.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2010, 04:56:59 PM »

der Brucer
Exactly.

Ditto!

Cillaliz

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2010, 04:57:16 PM »

How is Miss Callee today?  Miss Boo Ann and Miss Callie Sue are most curious....

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2010, 04:58:09 PM »

And on a lighter note (C-natural), Romantic Comedy has arrived! ;D

Mine arrived on a D-Flat

George

« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »

That's pretty darned cool, BK!  Congrats!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2010, 05:01:34 PM »

Good morning, all! Thank you all for the vibes. The depression continues. I need a good cry, but that's not happening.

Elmore, did I tell you that MBarnum and I are moving in with you beginning September 1 thru the day after Christmas.  Every night another slumber party!

(There, did that help?)

The news doesn't reduce me to tears, but i'm checking Google for painless methods of suicide.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2010, 05:02:52 PM »

Could one of our musical people please tell me what key Jill O'Hara is using for her version of PROMISES, PROMISES?
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up