Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BUCKLE DOWN, WINSOCKI  (Read 18057 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: BUCKLE DOWN, WINSOCKI
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »

PAGE FIVE!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2010, 05:04:31 PM »

Wonderful news BK!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2010, 05:04:49 PM »

Actually, DR TCB, I think a short visit from you and Mikey would be a lovely diversion from my melancholia.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »

Good morning, all! Thank you all for the vibes. The depression continues. I need a good cry, but that's not happening.

Elmore, did I tell you that MBarnum and I are moving in with you beginning September 1 thru the day after Christmas.  Every night another slumber party!

(There, did that help?)

The news doesn't reduce me to tears, but i'm checking Google for painless methods of suicide.

Well, I tried.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2010, 05:06:15 PM »

Actually, DR TCB, I think a short visit from you and Mikey would be a lovely diversion from my melancholia.

And I would find it equally mood lifting.
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2010, 05:08:43 PM »

I'm very excited that my nephews David and Andy and my grand niece Sophie will be visiting on Sunday.  They are going to the lake and I didn't want a repeat of last month, especially since I'm still on the mend and have a trial and a trip to get ready for, so I was thrilled to hear they want to stop on the way home to have breakfast/brunch on Sunday. I'm really looking forward to it

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »

The last time I purchased flatware, I must have bought myself settings for six, or something stupid like that.  Over the years I have lost a spoon here and a fork there.  So, I finally ordered myself a new set.  Well, this time I must have ordered settings for twenty (at least)!  I hope my beneficiaries like the pattern, because there is a whole slug of it.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2010, 05:17:07 PM »

Ok, so I said that I was going to get some pop-up post it notes for her special dispenser but didn't see it on her desk, so I didn't get them. 

CLEVER! :)

Jane

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »

Thanks, Cillaliz.

Great blue herons are everywhere in the US, I believe.

We have them because of the lake near by.  Yesterday we saw a juvenile Osprey in a nest.  It was too far away to take a photo.  Wonderful photos Laura!

Jane

« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »

It is amazing how they can run off in the blink of an eye.  I'm glad you found her so quickly.

Well, my young children never got lost!

Robert was never, lost; we were.

That was what my nephew said when my parents got lost at Disneyland.  ;D

Jane

« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »

File this under "I didn't know that he was still alive," but Conductor Mitch Miller dies at age 99.

Wow...99 years old.

Wow!  I had no idea he was still alive.

Jane

« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2010, 05:26:07 PM »

DR Cillaliz - that's exactly the conversation Mom and I had on the way back to her place.  And you have to be able to hear...

Let me emphasize, my mother has no interest in getting a license, we were just talking about the absurdity of the concept.

;D     I'm sure you are grateful she has no interest in getting a license.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2010, 05:27:28 PM »

I'm back from the class reunion and, well, it was as you might suspect: I talked with the three or four folks that I talked with in high school, said hi to a few more and ignored the rest of the folks that either tormented me or didn't speak to me back then.

Actually I expected the opposite which has been my experience at all but the ten year reunion.  My class has become extremely friendly.  I'm sorry it was not the same with your reunion.

Jane

« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2010, 05:29:16 PM »

Last week, I was offered an original Thurber drawing by a book dealer I know back east.  I was ecstatic, but there was no way I could ever afford it.  Until we began talking about doing a trade.  It took a week to work it out - and today we finalized the deal and the original Thurber drawing will be on its way to me tomorrow and delivered on Wednesday.  Not only that - this particular Thurber drawing is not a doodle or unpublished - this is a 1938 cartoon published in the New Yorker - not only that, it's always been one of my all-time favorites of his and is a perfect specimen of the kind of thing he did so brilliantly for the New Yorker.  Not only that, its provenance is fun, too - this came from the estate of writer Peter DeVries.  To say I am over the moon would be a huge understatement.

Congratulations!!! :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »

Thanks, Cillaliz.

Great blue herons are everywhere in the US, I believe.

We have them because of the lake near by.  Yesterday we saw a juvenile Osprey in a nest.  It was too far away to take a photo.  Wonderful photos Laura!

Is a juvenile Osprey anything like a Hummer?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »

I'm very excited that my nephews David and Andy and my grand niece Sophie will be visiting on Sunday.  They are going to the lake and I didn't want a repeat of last month, especially since I'm still on the mend and have a trial and a trip to get ready for, so I was thrilled to hear they want to stop on the way home to have breakfast/brunch on Sunday. I'm really looking forward to it

Wonderful news! :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2010, 05:46:07 PM »

Just snoozed for about twenty minutes.  I completely forgot to pick up mail so I'm on my way over there now, after which I'll probably do a little jog.

Jane

« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2010, 06:03:01 PM »

Look who lives in Ashland: http://www.dailytidings.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100802/LIFE/8020315

The bit about Ingrid Bergman is touching & sad.

Ginny

« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2010, 06:04:25 PM »

BK - congratulations on your Thurber acquisition!  As a Thurber fan, you should visit Thurber House in Columbus, OH.  It was his family's home when he attended Ohio State University and is now a nonprofit center for writers and a museum of Thurber materials.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2010, 06:05:41 PM »

Hmmm _ I cannot seem to get the quote feature to work = Der Brucer that is a Rose of Sharon bush , which happens to be the National Flower of Korea - during the Japanese occupation of Korea, before WWII the Japanese cut downand burned all the Rose of Sharon bushes they could find - it was illegal for a Korean family to have one growing on theor property
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2010, 06:06:29 PM »

I'm back from the class reunion and, well, it was as you might suspect: I talked with the three or four folks that I talked with in high school, said hi to a few more and ignored the rest of the folks that either tormented me or didn't speak to me back then.

Actually I expected the opposite which has been my experience at all but the ten year reunion.  My class has become extremely friendly.  I'm sorry it was not the same with your reunion.
Thank you. I shouldn't have been surprised. And, in a way, I wasn't. I think once the kids have all left home and/or graduated from college, they might become different people. And I might become one, too. I did enjoy talking with one or two whom I didn't know and were quite interesting. And the spouses were awfully pleasant. I think they were probably just happy to see their old friends as I was in seeing mine, and the lines merely didn't interconnect too often.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2010, 06:07:37 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

well the quote worked this time!!

Laura I must echo the thoughts of so many others here - you really should publish your photos - you are an amazing photographer!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2010, 06:08:09 PM »

I had another piece of cake for dessert tonight.  I will be ordering my new ensemble from the Orson Welles Collection next month.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:13:44 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

KevinH

« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »

BK--Congratulations on your Thurber treasure!

John G.

« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »

Hmmm _ I cannot seem to get the quote feature to work = Der Brucer that is a Rose of Sharon bush , which happens to be the National Flower of Korea - during the Japanese occupation of Korea, before WWII the Japanese cut downand burned all the Rose of Sharon bushes they could find - it was illegal for a Korean family to have one growing on theor property
\

So, is a Rose of Sharon a type of hibiscus or another name for hibiscus? Just yesterday, my sister called the plant in my parents' yard a Rose of Sharon and I had never heard that. I always heard hibiscus. Maybe it's because I used to live in Florida.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2010, 06:10:53 PM »

I worked out the big trade deal and I'll tell you what I am now the proud owner of, although I won't have it until Friday - but it's an amazing thing and something I've wanted for over thirty years and never ever thought I would own. 

Leslie Parrish?

;D :D

Mikey you mademelaugh so loud I scared Vixdad!!

John G.

« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2010, 06:11:39 PM »

Has anybody heard the Michel Legrand score for "Marguerite"? I found a copy at a used CD shop and just started listening to it. The lyrics (from the "Les Miz" people) are often silly, but the music is really lush and likable. Can Legand write anything else?  
― Voltaire

Kerry

« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2010, 06:18:23 PM »

I worked out the big trade deal and I'll tell you what I am now the proud owner of, although I won't have it until Friday - but it's an amazing thing and something I've wanted for over thirty years and never ever thought I would own. 

Leslie Parrish?

LOL!!!!!!  :D
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2010, 06:18:45 PM »

Now, of course, deciding on which wall for the Thurber will be key.  It's a small piece, 8x10 plus whatever the frame is - but I want it prominently shown - so somewhere in the living room I think and maybe near the front door.  I'll see what Grant's expert eye thinks.  Now for a little jog after which a little Dragnet.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2010, 06:20:57 PM »

I knew I should have known the name.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up