Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: DOES ANYONE STILL WEAR A MUSTARD PLASTER?  (Read 31912 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:DOES ANYONE STILL WEAR A MUSTARD PLASTER?
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2006, 07:54:04 AM »

Good morning!

Another glorious day here, and it's not even that cold. High today in the low to mid 60s! Hooray!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2006, 07:59:25 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR GINNY!

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2006, 07:59:40 AM »

I tried to do a Page Four Disney Dance but I got the "upload folder full" error message.

BK, HELP!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2006, 08:00:34 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy, happy birthday to DR Ginny!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2006, 08:03:16 AM »

I liked THE DAVINCI CODE much more than I thought I would. After the negative press at Cannes and lukewarm reviews from most of the reviews I read on-line, I was expecting something relatively drab and overlong. It held my attention from beginning to end, and I wasn't bored a second. In fact, I watched it a second time within a day of seeing it the first time and enjoyed the second viewing even more as more pieces of the puzzle seemed to fit together in my head.

I hadn't read the book ahead of time. I had read ANGELS & DEMONS which I thought was a grand adventure for about half the book and then began to fall apart and was totally ridiculous by the end.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2006, 08:05:19 AM »

I have some Christmas shopping I want to do, but I may wait to do it tomorrow morning when I go out to shop for some other things (DVDs that aren't released until tomorrow).

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2006, 08:08:28 AM »

There's a cute sounding movie on tonight on A&E: WEDDING WARS with John Stamos and the ever-gorgeous Eric Dane. I will be at my OLIVER! audition tonight, so the DVR will have to get it, but depending on when I get home, I think I'd like to see it tonight.

The CBS comedies and CSI: MIAMI are also new episodes tonight.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2006, 08:09:17 AM »

Ok. I've really got to get started on this Christmas thing. You'd think that when it all starts in September I wouldn't be surprised when it starts to creep up. I guess I know when my postal worker DH has to start going in two hours early and stay late two hours every day, it's time to get busy! (That was today, by the way.)
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2006, 08:15:36 AM »

Off to get cleaned up for my lunch with best friend John.

WBBL.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2006, 08:18:30 AM »

Hail to the Birthday Girl Valiant, Ginny!!!!!

Ginny

« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2006, 08:21:44 AM »

Thank you, DRs:

Jeanne
MattH
Rodzinski (Go Blue!)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2006, 08:24:56 AM »

Ok. I've really got to get started on this Christmas thing. You'd think that when it all starts in September I wouldn't be surprised when it starts to creep up. I guess I know when my postal worker DH has to start going in two hours early and stay late two hours every day, it's time to get busy! (That was today, by the way.)

Laura, when I was growing up my mother always refrained from any (visible) Christmas preparations until after my birthday, so as to keep my special day from being absorbed.  I remind myself of that when I begin to get strung out over not having more done by Halloween or so.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2006, 08:39:35 AM »

TOD - One commercial I remember was really what today would be called a Public Service Announcement.  It ran about this time of year and it was all about how aliens (people from other countries, not Planet X, I presume) had to register by January 1, or 15th, or 31st, or something like that.  It had this creepy animation of an official-looking window (post office?) and paperwork crossing the counter, seemingly by itself.  Any other baby boomers remember it?

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2006, 08:43:42 AM »

A very happy birthday to the nicest gal in Ohio! DR Ginny!

Have a wonderful day!!

Ginny

« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2006, 08:46:06 AM »

Thank you, DR MBarnum!  Are you still in sunny California?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2006, 08:58:57 AM »

Over at another website, I've found a list of this year's twenty best food books.  Sadly, DR Cillaliz's book honoring her mother is not included, something I can only attribute to her not being in the NYC-based foodie circles, which can be terribly inbred.   :-\

Of the twenty, I have five.  Heat, by Bill Buford, is waiting to be read.  I enjoyed both The Reach of a Chef, by Michael Ruhlman, and The United States of Arugula, by David Kamp.  Anthony Bourdain's The Nasty Bits was spotty, being a collection of writings that had been in magazines elsewhere, but he's still a dang good writer (he, of course, would use spicier language).

The Omnivore's Dilemma (Michael Pollan) is the book I've mentioned several times here before.  Thoroughly thought-provoking, I find myself having to put it down frequently to ponder what I've just read.  I highly recommend it.

It's interesting how all five of these books are not cookbooks, but rather writing about food.

If any of you have foodies on your Christmas gift list, the above might give you some ideas.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2006, 09:05:35 AM »

Ah, yes, the ever-raging debate.  Pres-"cot" or Pres-"kit"...not to be confused with a "press kit," of course.

Up here we pronounce it press COTT...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2006, 09:14:11 AM »

I hadn't read the book ahead of time. I had read ANGELS & DEMONS which I thought was a grand adventure for about half the book and then began to fall apart and was totally ridiculous by the end.

I agree Matt, I also read Angels and Demons and felt the ending was a bit weak but still a very good read.

Have you read any of the works by Roddy Doyle?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2006, 09:55:06 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - grand night's sleep, too, a full nine hours.

I've sent Mr. Bakalor a request for a photo purge - he normally gets to it pretty quickly, so I'll alert the media when it's done.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2006, 10:07:10 AM »

I had read DaVinci Code ahead of time and was a bit let down by the movie.

I agree DR Matt, Angels and Demons started off great but washed out a bit in the end....

I tried posting this a bit earlier but got the dreaded "too many connections" error as I was posting.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2006, 10:08:29 AM »

"Good show Vibes" to bk and company!

BTW, bk, your daughter is a very lovely young lady!

Ginny

« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2006, 10:22:50 AM »

I also watched The Da Vinci Code this weekend.  It took me longer to watch the movie than to read the book, because I started falling asleep Friday night and had to wait until Saturday evening to finish it.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2006, 10:28:56 AM »

We should be able to post photos again within the hour.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2006, 10:29:06 AM »

I stopped in the cafeteria to get something to eat & had the most disgusting tofu I have ever had.  I then went to the gift shop and purchased some delicious Virginia peanuts.

I'm going for a walk before my next text.  They decided to skip my 1:00 "activiity" and I'm not complaining. :)

Jane

« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2006, 10:30:02 AM »

Bruce-Sounds like your birthday was everything you could hope for.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2006, 10:30:25 AM »

Morning's chores (doctor's apointment, visit to Trader Joe's for Peppermint Tea and a trip to the post office) are completed.  I feel sorta relieved.

I have a chiropractic appt. at 2:30 p.m., and then I'm relatively "done" until my flight leaves Wednesday night.

Ack!  So much time on my hands!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2006, 10:31:07 AM »

My time at the computer is up.  I didn't notice one at the hotel.  If I can I'll stop in tomorrow for a quick hello before I check out of here.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2006, 10:31:54 AM »

TNT has been airing the LOTR Trilogy.  Night before last, they claimed to be airing the Extended Director's cut of "Fellowship of the Ring."

Maybe....but they trimmed it if they did.  I think they basically lied about which version they were showing.  The entire Lothlorien segment was the theatrical cut...not the extended cut.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2006, 10:36:43 AM »

The internet connection here at The Hollywood Orchid is rather wonky today...so I will post this while the posting is good...a huge thank you to all the wonderful HHW Happy Birthday wishes yesterday! Such a fine bunch of folk!

DR Cason, I do hope you will continue to post here...you will find such a nice group around these here parts...actors, writers, directors, librarians, state workers, social workers, palm readers, musicians....and on and on.

And Karen Murphy if you are reading this! I say howdy to you!!!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 10:37:31 AM by MBarnum »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2006, 10:37:30 AM »

Re:  "Brothers and Sisters"

SPOILER

SPOILER

I'm gonna say this knowing full well I'm probably alone but two things irritated me GREATLY last night.

One was the Patty Wettig character "Holly"...I'm tired of her.    Just tired of her.  This family should NOT have to go through her or associate with her or have any more dealings with her for any reason.

The more irritating and annoying is this writer's conceit about the military service requirement for the brother with a drug addiction.  The Army simply WOULD NOT want him back with his drug addiction.  Period.  They discharge soldiers for having addictions.  They wouldn't want him back based on every rule/regulation that I've found.

That whole "let's fight the Armed Forces for recalling soldiers who've already served" arc is so lacking in credibility that it makes me ache that such a fine show has taken such a horribly wrong turn in its story development.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 10:38:04 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up