Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DEEP SENTENCES  (Read 26145 times)

Tomovoz

Re:DEEP SENTENCES
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2004, 02:45:08 PM »

Hello Night Nurse td. Hope all is well.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2004, 02:45:39 PM »

speaking of poutine, DR Jennifer, my parents went out to dinner at Au Pied du Cochon last night and came back telling a story that is just too incredible...

POUTINE MADE WITH FOIE GRAS, GOAT CHEESE AND THYME INFUSED JUS

Yes... you heard me.  The lowly poutine is going upscale (and it only costs $17)

DR Emily,

Trendy poutine is sweeping Toronto, too. The hottest new place is Jamie Kennedy's Wine Bar. Here are some of the selections. See the kind of company that poutine is keeping?

Start with a plate of flatbread with three dips -- a good tapenade, a pleasantly coarse brandade and chestnuts with lentils. The plate arrives dressed up with a flaming sprig of parsley, the aroma of a forest fire in Provence. Rich mushroom consommé laced with julienned mushrooms and a splash of enokis is splendid. A purée of tomato and fennel is perfectly balanced. Foie gras terrine with an internal layer of quince is lovely. The pâté, really a mousse of foie de volailles, with vegetables is delicious. The Moroccan-spiced tagine of vegetables is not to be missed, for its fragrant spicing is just so, and the aubergine and zucchini and carrot and parsnip are all cooked perfectly. Foie gras roasted in a chestnut crępe with apple compote is something I could eat twice a day. Poutine -- fries with pecorino and lamb kebab -- is good fun.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2004, 02:46:54 PM »

In my excitement, I did the quote thing incorrectly. But I'm sure you get the picture.

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2004, 02:47:00 PM »

MBarnum: Bollywood rocks. What fun and far more interesting and varied than "Bombay Dreams". Did they just rip off anything from any where. Was I listening to "I Want To hold Hour Hand"? So much sounds so familiar.  Thought there were touches of Surf Music and even Merry Melodies there. A Delight.

Hey Tom, glad you are enjoying the Bollywood music! Yes the stuff from the 50s through the 80s had lots of variety and they often "borrowed" music (and plots) from American and British music and movies. I have some old Bollywood films that are complete rip-offs of MADAME X, NO MAN OF HER OWN, AND THEN THERE WERE NONE and STELLA DALLAS. And I believe JRand53 has one that is a redoing of E.T.

Lots of variety in the music...big band sounds, rock and roll, disco, everything. The current Bollywood music is good too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2004, 03:02:02 PM »

Yes, I keep the test copies, but they're exactly the same as what will be printed, unless there's something wrong, which would be doubtful.

And the Kritzer Time CD should be ready to ship with the books this time.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2004, 03:05:43 PM »

No TOMOVOZ - it is another Jack who lives there.  LOL

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2004, 03:08:14 PM »

Well I am off to memorial service for my co-worker. It has been a long time (thankfully) that a contempory passed away and I hope it will many years more.
Never stop dreaming.

Jed

« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2004, 03:09:37 PM »

Michael Shayne - Have to ask... What in tarnation is your new photo???
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2004, 03:13:44 PM »

Wonderful news about the Kritzer Time galley, Bruce!  Won't be able to order the book immediately, as I have in the past, but I will as soon as finances allow (probably April)!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2004, 03:19:46 PM »

Oh, Gott im Kimmel! Love the book, can't wait to hear the Kritzertime CD. Just by the way, the scrapbook I'm using as a prop in the show has a flyer and the program from It's Legitimate! - a show I did when I was still a teenager, back in Hollywood, at the Assistance League Playhouse, directed by none other than our own BK. Violet Santangelo was so mean to me! I remember we rehearsed in the Shenandoah Street Elementary School auditorium. Tickets were $2. Back in the day...
PennyO

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2004, 03:25:24 PM »

I pulled a Bakalor and have edited my previous comment to make all of you look insane.  Insane, do you hear me???? Mwhaaaahaaaaaaaa.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2004, 03:28:42 PM »

My thoughts are with you during this very difficult time, Michael Shayne.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2004, 03:37:55 PM »

Camille's performance last night after being named one of the Top 12 was beyond the most awful of any singing I've ever heard of a finalist on the program in three years. Taking breaths in the middle of words, tremulous vibrato at odd and uncertain moments, the uncertain trailing off of every phrase with an arrangement of imrpovised notes that are seldom on pitch; the mistakes go on and on. A true embarrassment to the show and to the judges' taste in this one particular instance. At some point of the audition process, she must have shown them something that makes them so high on her, but for two nights, she has sang excruciatingly, and two far better female singers last night got excluded. Hopefully, Lisa or the one sitting next to Matthew on the couch last night (Marisa?) will have a shot at the wild card.

I got my KETTLE Volume 1`set today, but when I'll finally get around to watching any of them is anyone's guess. I have three seasons of ANGEL to start on soon.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2004, 03:41:08 PM »

DR JRand, thank you so much for YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE. Now, I can say I've seen it. Franciscus had looks and a good screen presence. What ruined the film for me was the god-awful Genevieve Page: erractic acting, a too-thick accent, and zero chemistry with James (who was irritatingly smooth chested in this part). But what a cast of character actors in all the other roles. My gosh, they kept coming and coming and coming - all these famous names acting the hell out of their roles. Overall, except for that curious miscasting of the second female lead, lots of trashy fun.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2004, 03:52:16 PM »

Jane, re: wood-knocking, I must use real wood or the magic won't work.

I've had a crap afternoon.  I got a craving for that lettuce-wrapped cheeseburger Carl's Jr. serves.  So I hop in the car to zip down from my Hollywood home near Griffith Park to the Carl's on Western &  Sunset.  I hear a loud rumbling under the radio noise and the ride's a little rocky.  But stupid me thinks it's the big dump truck behind me.  But as I get to a level spot I realize it ain't the truck.  Yep, my rear left tire's flat.  I have a can of the flat tire foam in my trunk.  But it must be ancient because it no longer works and the tire does not inflate.  So I trudge back up the hill to my house (I'm wearing bad shoes) fifteen minutes away. (I don't own a cell phone).  Call Triple-A, change shoes, dash back down in less than ten minutes to wait for them at the car  (That part was actually quite nice...one of my neighbours down where the car was stranded was a young teenage intern at the theatre where I had my first professional gig...The Globe of the Great Southwest in Odessa, Texas.  We discovered several years ago we were neighbours.  Anyway, he drove by and we had a nice chat.  He's now making Craftsman Style furniture...the dominant style in my home, so....who knows...).  Anyway, the AAA guy came, changed the flat with this teeney spare this big Buick gives you and I drove down to my 76 Station on Hollywood and Bronson, left the car, and used the walk home for my exercise for the day, stopping at Counterpoint Records and Books on Franklin and carting home some mystery-thriller plays (one, Getting Away With Murder, by Steve Sondheim & George Furth), the libretto to All American, and a translation I'd never seen before of perhaps my favourite play, Cyrano De Bergerac.  It could have been a worse afternoon, but what had been planned as a 20-minute pitstop to grab a burger for lunch, turned into over two hours.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2004, 03:54:13 PM »

LOL, an understatment.  That was twenty years ago and it is still vivid.  Unfortunately I have way too many dreams that are strange and frightning.  It is why I wake up some mornings exhausted.

Jane, you should read HEALING DREAMS by my friend, Marc Barasch. (One of my dreams is even discussed in there.) It's a fine book about dreams, the psyche, etc.
I think you can look it/him up under Marcbarasch.com or just google his name.

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2004, 03:57:04 PM »

DR JRand, thank you so much for YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE. Now, I can say I've seen it.

JRand53 introduced me to YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE a few years ago. Good movie!

Panni

« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2004, 04:01:35 PM »

bk - congrats on the approved galleys!

Just had a terrific lunch meeting which went on for over 2 hours. I think I may have the project which was discussed, but you never know. I REALLY want this one - because it's very good, it's already set up at a network, I like the producers and another reason I won't discuss because I'm SUPERSTITIOUS. I should know fairly soon if it's yes or no. So YES VIBES my way, please.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2004, 04:01:55 PM »

Jane, you should read HEALING DREAMS by my friend, Marc Barasch. (One of my dreams is even discussed in there.) It's a fine book about dreams, the psyche, etc.

Panni, my library has this book!  So, which dream is yours? ::) Does it say, or is it all anonymous?

I hardly ever remember my dreams when I wake up.  If I do, I don't remember them for very long anyway, and never long enough to even write them down.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2004, 04:04:04 PM »

Michael Shayne - Condolences. Aside from the sadness one feels at a time like this, it's also a frightening to be reminded of our fragile mortality. My thoughts go out to you.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2004, 04:09:01 PM »

Matt H, Camille had a vibrato you could have flung a cat through...truly embarrassing...Sorry to hear you didn't care for the gorgeous Genevieve Page who I love in El Cid and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

Every time I get my new Playboy in the mail, I am reminded that I have become a geezer, for I do now truly read it only for the articles.  All the nubile, naked women now seem so incredibly young, indistinguishably interchangeable and I hate their flesh-marring little tattoos, their shaved nether regions, and their more-often-than-not fake boobs.  Playboy has had a long tradition with me. My father had regularly bought since its incarnation, eventually subscribing to it, I bought all through college and have them stored in several magazine boxes hopefully increasing in value, and I finally subscribed back when 7/11 stores started pandering to the Christian Right and stopped carrying them.  I suppose I have continued to subscribe to it over the years to beat my breast for the 1st amendment and freedom of the press (never more important than now in the repressive Bush/Cheney/Ashcroft era), but sometimes  I wonder why I do.  The thrill is definitely gone.   I don't care about the nudes, the cultural crap being embraced (they now have  computer game reviews), and I rarely either know or care about the celebrities being profiled or interviewed.  Face it, I'm a geezer.

Panni

« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2004, 04:09:27 PM »

Panni, my library has this book!  So, which dream is yours? ::) Does it say, or is it all anonymous?
I had to look it up because I had no memory of what it was! It's starts on the bottom of page 228 of the hardcover: "A friend of mine named Anna...."
It's a prophetic dream about the Columbine killings.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2004, 04:11:48 PM »

Ah yes, it is my mission to introduce YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE to as many people as possible!

In checking the press materials....it seems Miss Genevieve Page (who also appeared in SONG WITHOUT END and EL CID) - she was, and still is, married to a French Banker and in 1964 had two small children and an extensive wardrobe by Nina Ricci.  As soon as filming was completed, she returned to Paris to perform Moliere with the French National Theatre.

And presumably cook that turkey!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2004, 04:22:31 PM »

That's where I had seen her before! THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (which I didn't find her all that wonderful in either). Believe it or not, I have never seen EL CID. I have an aversion of most Charlton Heston, but I have also liked him in some things, so I KNOW I will catch up with EL CID one day. It is a MAJOR lapse in my film education.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2004, 04:28:10 PM »

And, of course, Vi Santangelo changed her name to Laura Kenyon and was in the original cast of Nine on Broadway.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2004, 04:40:40 PM »

DR Dear Reader Laura,

I have to admit it's a beautiful picture of a Canada goose. But the Canada goose isn't every Torontonian's favorite creature. Here are some goose factoids, excerpted from NOW Magazine:

There are now about 250,000 geese in southern Ontario.

City officials say access to abundant food and open water means the population could double every three to five years.

What they don't say is that the Ministry of Natural Resources created the problem in the first place by introducing geese into southern Ontario -- not their natural habitat -- for hunters.

City officials say geese are prolific producers of fecal waste, defecating every six minutes while feeding, causing enough damage in some parks to warrant reconstruction of entire fields.

Geese increase the risk of botulism in birds and contribute to poor water quality.

The birds' aggressive behaviour increases the risk of injury to the public. (Ever been bitten by a goose?)

Geese are so prevalent in some parks that they prevent users, particularly children, from enjoying public green space.

To control their population, the city:

Oils the eggs of a number of bird species, including Canada geese, to prevent them from hatching. (Last year the city treated 461 goose eggs in 121 nests.

Uses trained border collies and birds of prey to round up and scare off geese at parks, golf courses and marinas.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2004, 04:53:40 PM »

Dare I?   :D In the past when I have read books about dreams it scares the s--- out of me.  I have really weird dreams.  Getting older has one advantage, I don't remember them like I use to.  But then, if your dream is discussed in there I should check it out.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2004, 04:58:47 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD, WONDERFUL VIBES TO PANNI![/move]

Jane

« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2004, 05:12:21 PM »

Panni I just ordered the book from our local book store and should have it by next week.

Danise

« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2004, 05:24:09 PM »

Good evening all!

I’m afraid that I was more of an Osmond fan than Motown fan as well.  Only I liked Alan.  My thing for “older” men started early.  He was 23 and I was Donny’s age.  Donny is just a couple of months older than I.

Good work, Jose!  I’m glad your doing so well on the diet.  It’s not that hard.  I’ve slipped a couple of times.  Like last night I put crackers in my soup and didn’t even realize what I had done until after I finished.  

Congats on the book being almost ready, Bruce!  This time, I will go for a hard copy.  I don’t think E-books are all they are cracked up to be.  

I’m glad the football guy made it on AI.  All I can say is that I liked him.  I’ll confess, I don’t understand why the Hawaii gal made it.  I thought the red head was better.

Superstitions–I have a few.  I never say, “Goodbye”.  My Dad got real upset if you said that.  He said it meant you never wanted to see the person again.  Better to say, “Bye and Bye” or maybe he meant “By and By” I’m not sure since I never thought to ask him which.

As far as dreams go, I’ve had some real scary ones.  And ones that have come true.  This will make me sound weird but when I was younger, I think I was more “sensitive” than I am now.  

Case in point, my drama teacher was in the Miss Florida Pageant.    Everyone said she would win but I said I didn’t “see” it.  I saw her in the top five but not the winner.  She placed 3rd.

I’ve dreamed of accidents that came true and I felt my Grandmothers death–didn’t know it at the time.  I was in 5th grade class.   I just knew something “bad” had happened then looking up at the door and seeing my mother there.  Same with my Dad getting cancer.   I just knew “something” bad was going to happen soon after I left high school.  

Then there are the dreams–Most notable the one where I was back in Egypt and saw a boy with a princes lock on his head.  He had a scroll in his hand and the stupid seal had broken off.  It was like I was there–floating in the corner of the room.  I could see everything.  The linen sheets hung from between the columns of the temple moving in slight breeze.

I felt hot and could taste sand in my mouth but I couldn’t do anything.  I heard the “slap/slap” sound of reed sandals (don’t ask me how I knew they were made of reeds–I just did) on the marble floor, coming to where the boy was.  I remember screaming at him to use the candle wax to reattach the seal because if “they” came and saw it broken, “they” would kill him but he couldn’t hear me.

I woke up in a cold sweat at the moment what looked like a high priest stepped into the room.

Weird, huh?  But I’ve never forgotten it.  How's that for deep?  :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up