Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GLORIOUSLY GLORIOUS VERY LONG WEEKEND  (Read 22614 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE GLORIOUSLY GLORIOUS VERY LONG WEEKEND
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2004, 04:07:54 PM »

DR Swishy: I know that song. I think they play it on tv. I think it must be Ontario's unofficial theme song!

Jennifer

« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2004, 04:11:53 PM »

I think it's second cousin too.

Jason

« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2004, 04:20:57 PM »

Hi, all...back from the movie. The screenplay is terrible...some of the effects are cool...the concept is terrifying. But I did learn how to survive the next ice age. I won't tell any of you for fear of ruining your movie-going experience as I'm SURE you're all going to run out and see it tomorrow. Perhaps even this very night...

When I got home I found out that I had apparently signed online this morning and forgot about it before I left for work. Oops.

I didn't see any of the New Yorkers mention the torrential downpour we had at around 3:00. Luckily, I got to walk 12 blocks in it! Huzzah! Now it's quite loverly outside.

Jed

« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2004, 04:34:33 PM »

Jed, where did you go rafting?

We were on a stretch of the Yakima River right around Thorp.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2004, 04:37:45 PM »

DR Danise,  thank you for your kind phone call this morning.  I'm glad you're safely home and I look forward to a full report on your trip!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

François de Paris

« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2004, 04:45:36 PM »

Bonjour, mes amies.

What about us, the MALE hainsies??? Do we smell bad??? ;)

Joyeux Anniversaire to DR Brockman Père, and many joyous returns!

Welcome back to wandering and adventurous Danise!
Bear must be a happy dog tonight!

Saw The Day After Tomorrow this past Wednesday at the 9:30 am show at some multiplex here in Paris, and boy!, am I sorry i did!

The good thing is that they messed up with the reels -- some scenes happened before they should have :o -- which made the story much more interesting and we got free tickets when we left ;D
DR from Oz is working on his own version..... about a HEAT WAVE and will call it : The Day After Tomovoz ;)

Actually, there was a workshop of it last August here in France! No, I was NOT in the cast because I woudn't be here to tell you that! :P
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 04:47:21 PM by François de Paris »

Jed

« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2004, 04:46:11 PM »

Swish - The way I understand it, the child of your first cousin is your first cousin once removed.  When you have kids, it will be their second cousin.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2004, 04:48:48 PM »

And one for Mahler.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #158 on: May 28, 2004, 04:49:16 PM »

Wow DR Panni: good luck.
But at least you know you weren't in the hospital and that the bill will be erased.

I don't know anything except this is a mess. The plot has thickened. My Dear Daughter had minor knee surgery last year in San Francisco. It turns out that the hospital which is listed on the insurance form is the hospital where the surgery was performed. And the dates cited are the dates between the time she had her first pre-op appointment and the date of the actual operation. (I've just found all this out.) HOWEVER - the "patient" listed on the insurance form is ME. So it might be that there was someone by my name in the hospital and the forms got mixed. Seems bizarre, but who knows. All I know is that between the insurance and myself quite a bit was paid a long time ago for the procedure. I know that the balance with the surgeon is zero. Surely, they can't be asking for over $10,000. for a few hours stay in hospital!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: May 28, 2004, 04:52:20 PM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.  

No they can't be asking for over ten thousand dollars seven months later.  If there'd been charges you would have received them immediately thereafter.  Plus, you're covered by insurance and you should just turn the entire matter over to them.  There wasn't anyone else with your name in the hospital.  They treated Rachel, but you are on the form since it was your insurance and they seem confused by it all.  Take a deep breath, call them, and tell them to go take a long walk off a short pier.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2004, 04:53:34 PM »

Quick, what happens when I say welcome twelve GUESTS?  Two GUESTS disappear - LIKE CLOCKWORK.  Coincidence?  You tell me.

Panni

« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2004, 04:56:43 PM »

WELCOME HOME, DANISE!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2004, 04:56:59 PM »

Yes, DRPANNI. let the insurance company take care of it.  No need for you to get in the middle of it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

François de Paris

« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2004, 04:57:17 PM »

Panni, don't panick!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2004, 05:02:08 PM »

I find Memorial Day Sales somewhat offensive. Sort of defeats the purpose of the whole thing, no? Are we going to have 9/11 Sales in 20 years?

I'm typing this while on Hold with my insurance company. I just received a TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR bill from them for an 8 day October 2003 hospital stay. The only problem is that I wasn't in the hospital for 8 days - or any days - in 2003. In fact, I've never spent 8 days in the hospital in my life. I didn't spend ANY days in the hospital in 2003. I've never even HEARD of the hospital in which I was supposed to have spent 8 days. I think you get the picture.

9/11 sales-LOL

Check your credit rating after everything is resolved.  

Panni

« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2004, 05:02:56 PM »

I like the short pier part, bk. These things always happen before a long weekend, of course. On Tuesday the hospital will be phoned - their billing department is closed now. There are all sorts of other things attached to this whole matter. But I won't go into them because the Wonderdog is waiting to be fed and it's all too boring.

HollyLynn

« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2004, 05:03:27 PM »

Panni--As other DR's have said--let the insurance company take care of it.

I forgot in my first post, but Happy Birthday ARNOLD M. BROCKMAN!  I shall have homemade choclate chip and crushed malt ball ice cream (my friend's special recipe) in your honor.

8)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2004, 05:04:13 PM »

I was talking to a colleague today. She and her husband are looking for an apartment. I suggested my building as a possibility. "Oh," she said, "I've seen it." [She's been to my place.] "The apartments are really ugly."

HollyLynn

« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2004, 05:05:09 PM »

Ok--how many more posts before I get move up from the Newbie level?

Tomovoz

« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2004, 05:11:57 PM »

Anzac day here in OZ is sort of our memorial day. It is a holiday but not a long weekend. It is taken seriously. Retail shopping is not part of the day - shopping malls and large department stores are not open.  Entertainment - football and movies are, I think, allowed after 2.00 pm. In recent years the day has become even more a day of reflection and many young people now attend memorial ceremonies. It would not have happened when I was young. The generation of my parents wanted to forget!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #170 on: May 28, 2004, 05:12:08 PM »

Before I feed the Wonderdog - My exciting news for today is that I found jeans at the Gap that actually are not lowrise. They fit at the waist. At the actual waist, Dear Readers! Zowie! And they were on super-sale. $18.! Double zowie! They only had two pairs in my size and I bought them both.

Jane

« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2004, 05:15:48 PM »

Matt H, your first memorable Memorial Day experience is a nice story.

It is annoying when people walk in once a performance has begun, making it difficult to see and hear.

Danise glad you made it home.  Have a good rest.

Dan-in-Toronto, are you insulted or laughing? :D

Jane

« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2004, 05:18:40 PM »

I didn't know it was that difficult to find pants that fit at the waist.  I thought the difficult ones, which I prefer, are jeans that fit just below the waist which is why most of my jeans are, not too, lowrise.

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2004, 05:21:26 PM »

[
Beekay is that your dog?

]

Yes Jane It is one of our little girls...Her name is Whizzy cos her tail does! and sometimes Miss Burzinfur cos sometimes she has! Thanks for the acknowlegement.
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

Jane

« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2004, 05:25:28 PM »

Sarah, if your first cousin has a baby, that baby is your first cousin once removed.  Keith, my genealogy expert, pulled the following information off a genealogy website:

Cousin (a.k.a "first cousin")
Your first cousins are the people in your family who have two of the same grandparents as you. In other words, they are the children of your aunts and uncles.

Second Cousin
Your second cousins are the people in your family who have the same great-grandparents as you, but not the same grandparents.

Third, Fourth, and Fifth Cousins
Your third cousins have the same great-great-grandparents, fourth cousins have the same great-great-great-grandparents, and so on.

Removed
When the word "removed" is used to describe a relationship, it indicates that the two people are from different generations. You and your first cousins are in the same generation (two generations younger than your grandparents), so the word "removed" is not used to describe your relationship.
The words "once removed" mean that there is a difference of one generation. For example, your mother's first cousin is your first cousin, once removed. This is because your mother's first cousin is one generation younger than your grandparents and you are two generations younger than your grandparents. This one-generation difference equals "once removed."
Twice removed means that there is a two-generation difference. You are two generations younger than a first cousin of your grandmother, so you and your grandmother's first cousin are first cousins, twice removed.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 05:28:43 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #175 on: May 28, 2004, 05:27:40 PM »

Beekay, dog and both her names are very cute.  You have more little girls.  How many and can you post pictures?

Jed

« Reply #176 on: May 28, 2004, 05:28:14 PM »

Huzzah!  I remembered the rules correctly!  Thank you Keith and Jane for checking. :D

François de Paris

« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2004, 05:28:28 PM »

... and new a word from the fairest of Dames:

Broadway: The American Musical
Legendary star of stage and screen Julie Andrews to host landmark series Broadway: The American Musical
Premiering In October On PBS Stations

Julie Andrews first graced the Broadway stage at age 19, with a star-making performance in The Boyfriend. With her unique presence and astonishing four-octave vocal range, she went on to dazzle audiences as Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady and Guenevere in Camelot. Taking Hollywood by storm just as she had conquered Broadway, her performance in the movie adaptation of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Broadway blockbuster The Sound of Music - still high on the list of all-time box office champs - forever endeared her to audiences throughout the world. This fall, the Academy Award-winning star of stage, film and television will host BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL, a six-part, six-hour PBS documentary series on the history of the American musical. Presented by Thirteen/WNET New York, the series premieres Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, October 19, 20 and 21 at 9 p.m. (ET) on PBS (check local listings).

"I am delighted to play a role in such an ambitious and important television project, and to `return' to Broadway once again," says Andrews, whose real-life return to Broadway in 1995 with Victor/Victoria thrilled audiences after her three-decade absence from the Great White Way. "Musical theater means so much to me. There's nothing quite like a Broadway show to make our spirits soar and give us insight into America's very culture and history. It will be a pleasure to serve as the PBS ambassador for the Broadway musical."

BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL is the first documentary series to tell the epic history of the American musical in its entirety. Roughly covering the period since the renaming of Longacre Square to Times Square in 1904, the centennial saga is chronicled through first-person accounts from Broadway's leading luminaries and illustrated by a remarkable collection of rare archival footage, personal correspondences, diary excerpts, newsreels, private home movies and much more. From Show Boat, Oklahoma! and On the Town to West Side Story, A Chorus Line and Wicked - and from Irving Berlin, Fanny Brice and Ethel Waters to Ethel Merman, Stephen Sondheim and Andrew Lloyd Webber - the series captures not only a century of theater history, but also American history.

A co-production of Ghost Light Films and Thirteen/WNET New York, NHK, and BBC in association with Carlton International., the six films will be the highlight of Thirteen's culture and arts programming, this fall on PBS. BROADWAY was created by filmmaker Michael Kantor, whose credits include work on The West (executive producer Ken Burns); Ric Burns' New York series; and Quincy Jones: In the Pocket, which he wrote, produced and directed for the American Masters series. The series will be released on home video and DVD by PBS Home Video. In addition to a companion five-CD box set, a lavishly illustrated coffee table book created by Kantor and co-writer Laurence Maslon will be published this fall by Bulfinch Press in conjunction with the broadcast series.

"Julie Andrews has long been synonymous with Broadway and PBS," says executive producer Jac Venza. "She has also been a great friend of Thirteen's Great Performances series in such unforgettable programs as Julie Andrews in Concert, Celebrating Oscar Hammerstein II, Julie Andrews Back on Broadway, and two My Favorite Broadway concerts. It's a thrill to have someone of her caliber - such an important figure in Broadway's history and someone with such extensive personal knowledge - accept the role of leading lady for our BROADWAY series. We couldn't be more delighted or honored."

BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL is a co-production of Ghost Light Films and Thirteen/WNET New York, NHK, and BBC in association with Carlton International. Michael Kantor is series producer and director. Bill O'Donnell is supervising producer. Jac Venza and David Horn are executive producers.

Funding for the series was provided by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the National Endowment for the Humanities, Dorothy and Lewis Cullman, the Shubert Organization, the LuEsther T. Mertz Charitable Trust, the National Endowment for the Arts, Judith B. Resnick, the Ira and Leonore Gershwin Philanthropic Fund, Vivian Milstein, Rosalind P. Walter, the Harold and Mimi Steinberg Charitable Trust, the Max and Victoria Dreyfus Foundation Inc., Mary and Marvin Davidson, Allen & Company, the DuBose and Dorothy Heyward Memorial Fund, the Karen A. and Kevin W. Kennedy Foundation, Mary Rodgers and Henry Guettel, public television viewers and PBS.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #178 on: May 28, 2004, 05:37:43 PM »

DR Jane,

I'm laughing, and not in the least insulted. Same colleague once remarked to a friend whose daughter is an aspiring actress: "She [the daughter] is lucky she's so plain looking. She'll get a wider choice of roles."

MBarnum

« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2004, 05:43:03 PM »

Also BTW (that's by the way to those of you, like me, less in the know), Borders is once again running their 4 for the price of 3 DVD sale.  Dangerous news.  I picked up Producers (special edition, which seems to be less numerous these days), Sweet Charity, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Tommy, all of which I had meant to buy a long time ago.

Ha, ha, well what a co-inky dink! I just myself returned from Borders...had three movies in my hand ....IMITATION OF LIFE (double feature), GHOST AND MRS MUIR, and GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES...but couldn't find me a 4th movie so that I could get it for free! I wanted SILK STOCKINGS or WHAT'S UP DOC but they did not have either film in stock...so it was between BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, LOVE ME TENDER, or BEGINNING OF THE END....I ended up with BEGINNING OF THE END!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up