Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THE WINNER IS… GUESS WHO?  (Read 4537 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AND THE WINNER IS… GUESS WHO?
« on: March 28, 2015, 02:12:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes told you who the winner was and is, and now it is time for you to post until the winning cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: AND THE WINNER IS… GUESS WHO?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 02:12:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: PERSIFLAGE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 02:13:32 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 03:39:19 AM »

George, I am glad you had a good evening.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 03:39:52 AM »

I of course should be sleeping.

KevinH

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 04:45:27 AM »

Congratulations, BK, on the MAC Award!  It is so well-deserved!

KevinH

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 04:46:42 AM »

It's only 28 degrees in the nation's capital!

FJL

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 04:57:11 AM »

Congrats BK on the MAC award.

FJL

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 04:57:23 AM »

And exciting that you found out about it from Julie!

Michael

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 05:27:39 AM »

Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 05:43:30 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Another busy day, but at home.  Mary Linda and I are providing the venue for Lauren's sisters to throw her a baby shower tomorrow.  I have some cleaning and rearranging to do, some food prep, and a gift to wrap.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 05:44:06 AM »

Congratulations to BK on the MAC award!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 05:49:47 AM »

I have been part of an online discussion about OLIVER! and was surprised to see BK's friend Barry Pearl (mentioned in today's note) was part of the original Broadway cast as a workhouse boy and part of Fagin's gang.

And he was also in the "infamous" A Teaspoon Every Four Hours. The play had the distinction of the longest preview period (97 performances) before opening and closing with 1 performance in 1969.

It took Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark, 41 years later to break the record with 182 preview performances.

He also could have been on the Ed Sullivan Show as part of cast doing I Do Anything the same night The Beatles made their debut.
Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 05:55:12 AM »

Good morning, all.

Following a slight sleep-in, which felt wonderful.

Coffee!

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 06:06:00 AM »

Congratulations once again to BK on an incredibly well deserved award!

I remember Producer Julie.  She was in the first group of people I met from here in the flesh on a lovely evening at Joe Allen in June 2012.  Of course she had been E&T then, and she is E&T now.  Another I met that evening was a gal named Sandy Bainum.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 06:06:04 AM »

TOD:

I'm sure there were other things, but perhaps the best out-of-the-blue surprise was when I got a phone call that Saban wanted to buy/produce my screenplay of CHEYENNE WARRIOR.  (Actually, they were in partnership with Roger Corman on the project, but I didn't know that then.)

I had pitched Saban the script 6-8 months earlier, but had not heard a word since, so I figured there was no interest.

Of all my films, CHEYENNE WARRIOR is the one of which I am most proud.  Not only did it lead to a long term writing/directing relationship with Corman, but over 30 years since its release, the movie still has a strong following.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 06:06:28 AM »

Congrats to BK!
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 06:08:50 AM »

Good morning, all! I awoke around 1:15am from a terrifying dream about a ghost named "Miss Raway."  I remember nothing beyond that at this point, but Miss Raway - or maybe Rahway - was frightening.  In my last dream this morning, I was rehearsing a series of one-act musicals I'd actually written in grad school with a cast I can't identify on a campus that appeared to be outin the country, but it wasn't Miami U.

We need more members.  There was a full house when I came onboard in 2004, and I miss a lot of them.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 06:09:26 AM »

I really wish whatever I was dreaming during the night would come into focus.  It's trying to.  Every few minutes I get the tiniest flash of...something.  It just seems like there was stuff happening, or people there, or something worth remembering and savoring for a few minutes.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 06:31:41 AM »

My biggest surprise happened in 1985, when Stephen Sondheim won the Pulitzer Prize. After Merrily We Roll Along failed, he told me at a New York City Gay Men's Chorus rehearsal, which he attended to hear my arrangement of "Our Time," that he was never going to write another musical and that he was going to work on games for Parker Brothers.  He liked my choral arrangement, recommended it to his publisher, and so I had my first published arrangement.  Then. mirabile dictu!, his office manager Patricia told me he was writing a show with James Lapine.

When my arrangement was published, Patricia and i were chatting about a thank you gesture I could make, and i asked about the Pulitzer.  He had never been nominated, and I still think he should have won for Follies, so I thought, I could nominate Sunday In The Park With George, by George! I called the NYPL Music Division and asked if they knew who handled the Pulitzers, learned it was the Columbia School of Journalism, called them for further info, and called Patricia back. I needed bios of Steve and James Lapine, a recording, and a full vocal score and libretto, and I would make the nomination and pay the entrance fee.

I wanted to surprise him, but Patricia was worried about his reaction if I did this behind his back. and he learned about it from someone  else, like Mathilde Pincus, who would have to print a vocal score, or perhaps someone who had heard about the nomination. So, I called Steve and told him my idea. 

His reaction, right off the bat, was "We'll never win."  My response was, perhaps, but you never know, and I think it's about time you were nominated. He reluctantly agreed, promised full cooperation, and around August or September 1984, I went over to his home with the Pulitzer applications and chatted with Steve while Patricia filled out the forms.  I walked out with the score, recording, libretto, photos and bios of Steve and Jim, and the application, walked down to 42nd Street, picked up the 104 bus and rode to Columbia. I paid the entry fee and forgot about it.

One very early Wednesday morning in May, 1985, my dad called me: I needed to fly home immediately because my mother was having a quadruple bypass the next morning, and he wanted me there.  I spent the rest of the morning getting money together, booking a flight, clearing my calendar, and my Chinese fortune cookie at lunch said "You will hear great news today." When I got home, there was a call from Patricia that the Pulitzers were going to be announced in the afternoon, the office phone had been ringing off the hook, and she was thinking about me.  I told her about my mother, and that I had a few more errands to accomplish before I left for LaGuardia around 4:00.

I got home around 3:00 to a phone message from Patricia screaming "We won!" We won!" I called her, and she said, "Where are you? Steve wants to talk to you." He called me from the theatre, and Iflew home to my mother's surgery.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:21:40 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 06:35:38 AM »

Many congratulations to MR BK on his award-winning song.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 06:35:54 AM »

Good news about DR GEORGE's opening night!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 06:39:08 AM »

Several months later, I got a phone call from a strange reporter from my hometown newspaper.  His name was John Griffin, and he wanted to know all about the Pulitzer.  It seems that two friends of mine in my hometown had contacted the newspaper with the information.  I still believe that it was done less on my behalf and more on promoting themselves.  I had no intentions of saying anything; I felt that was Steve's business if he wanted to say anything, not mine. 

I reluctantly spoke to John, told him I was very reluctant to say anything, told him the events, and fretted about it. I lost two friends who were angry that I was upset, and about a day after the phone interview, I called his editor and begged him to kill the story.  I had worked for the newspaper as a critic between 1973 and 1977 or so, and the editor was a person I liked very much. Thirty years later, our DR JohnG is still a friend, one of the best, and I believe this is the fullest account of the 1985 Pulitzer Prize I've ever made. After 30 years, I'm still quite proud of my accomplishment.

KevinH

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 06:56:49 AM »

What a great story, DR elmore!! 

ChasSmith

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 06:58:01 AM »

Verily.  Thank you for the account, sir.

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 07:10:20 AM »

TOD - Richard's proposal of marriage was a huge surprise to me.  Yes, we'd known each other for almost 7 years and had been dating seriously for a couple of years, but we had not talked directly about marriage.  This particular Friday evening, after a long work week early in the 1980-81 school year, we were having a casual beef stew dinner that I'd prepared in my apartment.  I even remember that I was wearing a fleece top onto which I'd spattered gravy - not glamorous at all.  In the course of the conversation he said, "Why don't we get married?"  I was stunned, said I thought that was a great idea, and three and a half months later, we did!

He still teases me that I never said YES and I remind him that he didn't ask me a yes-or-no question.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 07:23:04 AM »

TOD - Richard's proposal of marriage was a huge surprise to me.  Yes, we'd known each other for almost 7 years and had been dating seriously for a couple of years, but we had not talked directly about marriage.  This particular Friday evening, after a long work week early in the 1980-81 school year, we were having a casual beef stew dinner that I'd prepared in my apartment.  I even remember that I was wearing a fleece top onto which I'd spattered gravy - not glamorous at all.  In the course of the conversation he said, "Why don't we get married?"  I was stunned, said I thought that was a great idea, and three and a half months later, we did!

He still teases me that I never said YES and I remind him that he didn't ask me a yes-or-no question.

Was it really 1974? I remember your phone call: Do you know Richard Palmer?

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 07:43:44 AM »

Yes, DR Elmore, that was at the beginning of our first round of dating.  That only lasted about a year, but the spark was rekindled in 1978 and the rest is history.

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 08:04:45 AM »

DR Jane I am jealous that you can dress in shorts when we still have snow here!

Kerry

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 08:28:03 AM »

Congratulations, Bruce!
I like boat races.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up