Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AN UNDENIABLE FACT  (Read 2179 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: AN UNDENIABLE FACT
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2021, 02:20:24 PM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2021, 02:21:52 PM »

Re the Judy Garland album - I commented on the site - the comment isn't showing up with the other comments and probably won't because I'm pretty sure I know what's what here: This is a UK company taking advantage of the EU copyright rule - over there, all albums issued pre-1964 are in the public domain, wherever they were issued. So, I truly doubt they're legit releases in the sense that they're not licensing from Capitol, which simply means they're not mastering from the tapes but from some previous release. I don't know from sharp, but their assertion that many LPs were mastered sharp is nonsense. And they say, "even though they weren't recorded sharp" - well, if that was the case, if they were using the original tapes there wouldn't be a problem, would there? But since this is a live recording, there could, of course, have been an issue with the tape machine at the venue. And they say "slightly sharp" - sounds like a big load of hooey to me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2021, 02:39:18 PM »

Sounds like a money grab to me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2021, 03:27:44 PM »

Interesting, bk. Thanks for your comments.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »

If you're tired of  trying to distinguish between "affect" and "effect," just use "ǽffect."
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2021, 03:33:30 PM »

I told my boss yesterday that after my vacation at the end of the month, I still had three weeks left. I asked if I should take a day or two every week through the rest of the year. She said we’ll talk Wednesday.

Wow, does this mean you need to use it or lose it?

Jane

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2021, 03:34:52 PM »

If you're tired of  trying to distinguish between "affect" and "effect," just use "ǽffect."

Works for me.

Ginny

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2021, 03:35:02 PM »

Saturday evening greetings!  My big effort for today was sweeping lots of dry leaves off our new front steps and patio.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2021, 03:39:49 PM »

I will be reading this when it is published in February.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2021, 03:43:09 PM »

This book is also due in February. Jeremy Denk is an amazing pianist, and writes about music as eloquently as he plays it.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2021, 03:43:52 PM »

Pretty.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2021, 03:47:31 PM »

Saturday evening greetings!  My big effort for today was sweeping lots of dry leaves off our new front steps and patio. 

Glad you felt up to it, DR Ginny. In a way, that must have been quite satisfying.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2021, 03:56:12 PM »

Hello, 1 Guest!

Jane

« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2021, 04:22:30 PM »

You can buy small leaf blowers that aren't too noisy.  We have one for our small patio.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2021, 04:27:17 PM »

Wow!   This article about a new CD release of Judy Garland's famous Carnegie Hall concert says that commercial releases have always been sharp, and that the new release has been remastered and re-pitched (lower).

https://judygarlandnews.com/2021/10/08/judy-garland-centenary-release-of-judy-at-carnegie-hall-set-for-february-4-2022/?fbclid=IwAR1Xl_rNLZX7xjYJhVtoSFHXlcP8Em572PT3Trt2huBfapSv9ubxi46BGEw

That's pretty cool.  I don't think I have a previous version of this, so I know I have to get it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2021, 04:29:05 PM »

My uncle did come home yesterday, but he is going to have home nursing care - NOT HOSPICE - for awhile.

~~~Continued Vibes for Jrand's Uncle!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2021, 04:29:31 PM »

Hello Guest :)

George

« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2021, 04:44:20 PM »

From George"
The selectors rarely, if ever, read pre-pub books themselves when they're deciding on whether to purchase or not.  They read literary reviews (Kirkus, Publisher's Weekly, Library Journal, etc.) because those are much, Much, MUCH (that's three MUCHES) shorter than reading the entire book just to make a purchasing decision.

;D

I suppose that is why I am sometimes shocked the latest book in a popular series isn't purchased.  Or discrepancies, like the new Amor Towles, only one copy at the Pierce library while my local one purchased twelve copies.

Of course, patrons and employees can submit a request for purchase for any title.  That doesn't mean that it will be purchased, but it's an option if the selector hasn't purchased something.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 04:55:24 PM by George »

George

« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2021, 04:44:50 PM »

George:
It's pretty cool to see a book that's not going to be published for several months, and be able to read it before pretty much anyone else.

I would think so, only you didn't do it in this situation ;)

No, not this time.  Too many other things going on.

George

« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2021, 04:47:23 PM »

Whilst I was waiting at the pharmacy, I discovered that THEY ACTUALLY BROUGHT IT TO MARKET!!!!!!      :D

:o SPOILER ALERT...SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

George

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2021, 04:47:32 PM »

:))

George

« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2021, 04:47:58 PM »

Well I am going to test drive a Smart Car.  I looked at it today and have read up about it.

So if I like how it handles on Monday - I will be a Smart Car owner.  Photos will of course be posted.

I hope you like it.

Ditto!!

George

« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2021, 04:48:30 PM »

11 hours of sleep sounds nice.

Yes, it does!

George

« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2021, 04:49:22 PM »

Re the Judy Garland album - I commented on the site - the comment isn't showing up with the other comments and probably won't because I'm pretty sure I know what's what here: This is a UK company taking advantage of the EU copyright rule - over there, all albums issued pre-1964 are in the public domain, wherever they were issued. So, I truly doubt they're legit releases in the sense that they're not licensing from Capitol, which simply means they're not mastering from the tapes but from some previous release. I don't know from sharp, but their assertion that many LPs were mastered sharp is nonsense. And they say, "even though they weren't recorded sharp" - well, if that was the case, if they were using the original tapes there wouldn't be a problem, would there? But since this is a live recording, there could, of course, have been an issue with the tape machine at the venue. And they say "slightly sharp" - sounds like a big load of hooey to me.

Oh. :-\

George

« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2021, 04:52:44 PM »

This book is also due in February. Jeremy Denk is an amazing pianist, and writes about music as eloquently as he plays it.

When I was in high school, I remember one time when people said other mnemonics to remember the notes on the staff.  The only two that I remember are "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge," and "Empty Garbage Before Dad Flips." ;D

George

« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2021, 04:53:34 PM »

George

« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2021, 04:54:20 PM »

Jane, it's spelled "George."

;)

George

« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2021, 04:54:38 PM »

And hello to you!

Jane

« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2021, 05:25:57 PM »

Jane, it's spelled "George."

;)

;D

There was a guest along with you.

Jane