Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXING NOSTALGIC  (Read 27689 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WAXING NOSTALGIC
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2005, 06:28:33 PM »

According to the book, Gower was never happy with the Butterfly number and those tableaux vivants as he called them.  Again, according to the book, he came up with the polka contest when Ginger Rogers went into the B'way company.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2005, 06:29:12 PM »

....And more recently, my "ideal" Saturday morning would consist of lying in bed listening to the Saturday morning NPR lineup on WCVE in Richmond, VA: "Weekend Edition", "Car Talk", "My Word", "My Music" (and for a time Rob Kapilow's "Classical Countdown" (??) program), "The Sound of Swing", "Riverwak Jazz"...  And then if it turned out that I had nothing I really had to do and I really wanted to listen to the Met Radio Broadcast, well... I would end up staying in bed all day.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 06:30:32 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2005, 06:33:26 PM »

So...  Some distant relatives are visiting tonight.  My dad's karaoke machine has been going non-stop for the past two hours...  "I Will Survive" just started.  -However, at least it's a nice change from "Old McDonald" and "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" which was going ad infinitum and as nauseum earlier (there's a three-year old boy).   And I'm still a bit puzzled over my dad's "obsession" with getting Barbra Streisand's "A Woman In Love" note-for-note correct.

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2005, 06:39:15 PM »

...And the reason for tonight's gathering is that it's the last night of my aunt's visit.  She heads back to San Diego tomorrow, and then eventually back to the Philippines.  -I think she mentioned that she was able to extend her visit (visa?) to six months.  *Which makes me wonder: Did she buy an open-ended round-trip ticket?  That's a lot of pesos!  In any case...

It has been good seeing my aunt again, unfortunately, over the past couple of days, I've come to think of her more as my "dad's sister" rather than my "aunt".  Let's just say that she's truly "Old World" and very Catholic.  If I'm asked, "Why aren't you married?" one more time...  -And trust me, that question has been asked a lot of the past two weeks!   Ah, family - can't live with 'em...
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2005, 07:14:54 PM »

John Barrowman photo of the evening

Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2005, 07:23:35 PM »

John Barrowman photo of the evening

Been there, seen that.

:o

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2005, 07:23:49 PM »

In about fifteen minutes I'll be on my way to my music prep lady's house - really inconvenient, but I have to get it done.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2005, 07:31:51 PM »

BK - Are you using Ms. J. for your music-prep? -Just wondrin' that's all.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2005, 07:33:24 PM »

And speaking of "Been there, seen that"...  It seems that those John Lithgow Campbell's Soups commercial have been put into regular rotation on the Food Network as well as TLC.

Yikes!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2005, 07:35:18 PM »

DR Ben - Christopher Bloch would love the chance to have a mini-Minnesota reunion in January if you could make it down.  Besides Jim, he mentioned a "Thomas" too from your time in Minnesota who's also living in the DC area now.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2005, 07:40:02 PM »

Yikes!...  I just saw the one for the New England Clam Chowder in the individual, microwaveable container...  Truly unforgettable.  Of course, I wish now I wish I could forget it.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2005, 08:06:44 PM »

And speaking of "Been there, seen that"...  It seems that those John Lithgow Campbell's Soups commercial have been put into regular rotation on the Food Network as well as TLC.

Yikes!
An irregular rotation will be used when Mr. Lithgow moves on to doing laxative commercials.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2005, 08:09:35 PM »

I took a late afternoon nap which was just what the doctor ordered. Although I felt that I had gotten a good night's sleep last night away from home, obviously, I was still tired enough that a 45 minute nap just hit the spot.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2005, 08:12:53 PM »

I've seen a couple of those Lithgow soup commercials. They haven't bothered me to the extent they seem to have bothered other people.

Frankly, the Kristin Chenoweth Old Navy commercials seem less worthy of her. Here she is this wonderful singer and comedienne and she's shilling jeans, something anyone with even a slight bit of ease before a camera could do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2005, 08:13:28 PM »

According to the book, Gower was never happy with the Butterfly number and those tableaux vivants as he called them.  Again, according to the book, he came up with the polka contest when Ginger Rogers went into the B'way company.

The book is wrong and Joel Craig's memory is correct!  The Mary Martin tour opened on April 19, 1965, which I saw in cincinnati, and Ginger Rogers replaced Channing on Aug 9, 1966.  I saw Rogers in the role the week of Dec 26, 1966 on my first trip to New York
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2005, 08:14:57 PM »

Having not seen a DVD in quite a while, I first put THE WIZARD OF OZ back in the player to rewatch the sepia sequences and the first bits of Technicolor. Of course, one gets swept up into the story and music, and I got all the way to "If I Were King of the Forest" before my eyes started telling me I needed a nap.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2005, 08:17:59 PM »

BK - Are you using Ms. J. for your music-prep? -Just wondrin' that's all.

Is that Bonnie J who copied for me on "the Musical Adventures of Peter Pan," didn't make the fixes I phoned to her, and complained about how little BK was paying her so she was making other jobs her priority over Peter Pan?  Tell her hello for me.

DRJose, I have no idea where the Two Cities event is happening.  Joey's not the best about keeping in touch.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2005, 08:18:03 PM »

Then, I put in LES GIRLS. I hadn't watched it on the larger screen TV, so I put it in and settled back to enjoy it all over again. In fact, I seem to like this film more and more the more I see it. I wish there were more numbers, but the ones that are there are really enjoyable to me. And the DVD looks simply splendid compared to the previous laserdisc incarnation which had smeared color and wasn't nearly as sharp.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2005, 08:20:27 PM »

I've seen a couple of those Lithgow soup commercials. They haven't bothered me to the extent they seem to have bothered other people.

Frankly, the Kristin Chenoweth Old Navy commercials seem less worthy of her. Here she is this wonderful singer and comedienne and she's shilling jeans, something anyone with even a slight bit of ease before a camera could do.

And what is a "worthy" commercial?  Rebecca Luker sold something like Tylenol for a couple of years.

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2005, 08:22:02 PM »

I had every intention of watching some of HELLO, DOLLY (after all the discussion about it) after I finished LES GIRLS, but as I was walking over to the shelf where the musicals are stored, I passed the boxed set of the three DIE HARD movies on another shelf.

Ihaven't watched the original DIE HARD in a long, long time, and so I put HELLO, DOLLY on hold and put in DIE HARD. I used the DTS option in the sound menu, and it's IMPRESSIVE! I only got about 15 minutes in before shutting down the components and coming to the computer, but I'll enjoy the rest of it tomorrow.

Then, I plan to watch MYSTERIOUS SKIN afterwards.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2005, 08:23:22 PM »

And what is a "worthy" commercial?  Rebecca Luker sold something like Tylenol for a couple of years.

I only meant that with all her gifts, I wish she could pay her bills using more of them. I am certainly aware that folks have to eat.

Jennifer

« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2005, 08:31:53 PM »

Re: the John Lithgow soup commercials.  Only the first one I saw (the musical one in his bathrobe) seemed way out there. The others I've seen are much shorter, and mostly without the funny/ridiculous sing song.

The bathrobe musical one is pretty hysterical though.

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2005, 08:58:51 PM »

Well, it's midnight here, and I'm heading for bed.

Good night, all!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2005, 09:16:08 PM »

Yes, the very same Ms. J - wacky as ever.  She complains about everything.

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2005, 09:17:56 PM »

Lots of tornadoes in Iowa today. None near me and the one that was headed in the direction of my parents dissapated before it got there, so that's cool.  They did have to evacuate the stadium where the Iowa State vs Colorado football game was about to begin. I bet that was an experience!  

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2005, 09:19:03 PM »

And what is this tornadoes in November stuff??? Excuse me, but they are scheduled for April through August or so... NOVEMBER?????  This is a very wacky weather year, indeed.

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2005, 09:20:06 PM »

Not much else to say tonight. It's very windy and I'm sleepy and ready to call it a night.

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2005, 09:28:15 PM »

One last thought, you know you're having a bad day when you watch "What Not To Wear" and see most of your wardrobe in the before section.  LOL that sort of happened to me today.

I liked the comment "you look very farmer's market" well that's where I had just come from, so apparently I was appropriately dressed!

Jason

« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2005, 09:57:59 PM »

Good evening, all...

Just back from a loverly dinner at my friend's home enivronment with a couple of the guys from work that I actually like.

After dinner we watched a truly horrid film called "Boom" starring Liz Taylor and Richard Burton. Just heinous.

Much to my surprise, just before we left, I was showered with early birthday gifts. I'm currently watching one of them. All I'll say is that the gifts are all highly coveted items by any musical theatre fan worth their weight in flop shows.

And now I'm off to watch Ms. Buckley Ms. Cook Ms. Hately ....errr...my birthday gifts.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 09:59:47 PM by Jason »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2005, 10:06:30 PM »

FRENZY, baby, we need a FRENZY!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up