Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 2008 WE HARDLY KNEW YE  (Read 28179 times)

MBarnum

Re: 2008 WE HARDLY KNEW YE
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2008, 01:57:08 PM »

I am on a Universal kick today (maybe due to the Vera West discussion of a few days back) and just watched a cute comedy from 1940 titled LOVE, HONOR AND O' BABY starring Donald Woods and Kathryn Adams.

Up next was the Andrew Sister's 1942 musical GIVE OUT, SISTERS co-starring Grace McDonald and Dan Dailey and the Jiven Jacks and Jills (which included a very young Donald O'Connor).

Now for another Universal musical, STRICKLY IN THE GROOVE (1942) starring Mary Healy, Richard Davies, Grace McDonald and Ozzie Nelson.

MBarnum

« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2008, 02:00:39 PM »

Of course those Universal films of the 40s are only available on black gray market DVDrs, due to the fact that Universal Studios doesn't seem to realize that they have an embarrassment of riches in their film vaults...so many films of the 30s, 40s, and 50s just ready for public consumption, and at their finger tips, but instead they prefer to release umpteen versions of the 1933 film THE MUMMY.

ps: not that I dislike THE MUMMY, but really, how many times do they need to release it on DVD.

MBarnum

« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »

Page 5 Universal musical dance.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2008, 02:05:08 PM »

I'm angry at Gelson's.

>:(

They stopped carrying my margarine [Promise Fat Free] and there's no place else in Los Angeles where it's sold.

:'(

However, I'm told that is IS available in Austin, TX.

:)

So, as far as Gelson's is concerned:

:P

s
Have you requested ordering a case of the margarine?  Sometimes if you are willing to buy a full case they will get it in for you.  I would speak to the manager.

The problem is that ta case won't keep long enough for me to use all of it...and I really don't want to cart what's left to Texas.

The real reason you can't find Promise Fat Free Margarine at Gelsons, or any place else, is because it's no longer being made.

Checking around, it seems that Promise was making an empty promise when it claimed that the product was fat free.  According to an article at Askville by Amazon, while Promise FFM technically did not contain any triglycerides, it was high in monoglycerides and diglycerides, which end up being the same thing once your body gets ahold of them.  For some danged reason, however, the FDS only requires that the triglycerides be called "fat," and any product that only contained the mono- and di- stuff could be called "fat-free" in a loopholey kind of way.  Enough customers complained about the mono- and di-plicity, and the product has been pulled.  However, you can still get Promise Healthy Heart, which is basically the same product with some vitamins added.

Druxy, it's margarine.  Margarine contains fat, whether the manufacturers and the FDA admit it or not.  Do yourself a favor, get the product that tastes best, and just use less of it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2008, 02:19:54 PM »

Page 5 Universal musical dance.

Ah, yes, the Andrews Sisters.  LaVerne, Maxine, Patty and, apparently, Dana!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »

Good Late Afternoon!

Elvis has left the building. At the very least, my family has left Manhattan.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2008, 02:59:25 PM »

Well, I guess it was a good visit. Everyone finally made their way out of FAO Schwarz around 2:00 (I think), and then we all headed over to Seventh Avenue to grab some lunch. After crossing the line(!) waiting to get into the Carnegie Deli, we all made our way into China Regency.

Wonton Soup, Chicken Corn Velvet Soup, Hot and Sour Soup, Vegetable Spring Roll, Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, Sesame Chicken, BBQ Spare Ribs, Shredded Pork and Pickled Cabbage Soup, Steamed Broccoli and Steamed White Rice were consumed. And without incident too!

Then after a brief walk down to 52nd Street to the garage where their car was parked, pictures were taken, hugs were exchanged, and they started their trip back down to Virginia.

Again, I guess it was a good visit. It was all just a bit hectic, hurried and frustrating... for me, at least. It did look like everyone had a great time during their 24 hours in NYC, but... As I posted on my Facebook page: After a number of visits to NYC, I should just accept the fact that when my parents come to NYC, they're here to visit NYC and not me.

*And compound that with the whole bag on the ferry, left/lost Christmas - which I (pitifully) realized would have been my first actual present received this year, well... I went to see another movie...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »

As I was walking by Lincoln Plaza, I noticed that "Waltz with Bashir" was about to start, so... "Waltz with Bashir" I did.

What an amazing piece of film-making. It manages to be a cartoon/animated feature, a memory piece, a documentary and analysis of the troubles in Palestine in the early 1980's, particularly the massacre of a whole town/camp of Palestinians by Christian Phalangists.

The use of animation is used expertly to "portray" the recent past both realistically (as in news accounts) and in very personal, post-trauma-tinged memories and dreams. It managed to be Academic and entertaining at the same time.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2008, 03:10:42 PM »

DR Jane - I thought it was the pigs. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2008, 03:11:54 PM »

Scored on two out of three today--got my big box o' Brasil (several of which I think our very own BK would love, love, love) and, finally, two weeks late, THE FILMS OF MICHAEL POWELL.  Yay!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

td

• td
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2008, 03:18:30 PM »

Borders is safe until at least 2011.  I speak because I know.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2008, 03:23:34 PM »

We had a little customer service brouhaha last night with Game Crazy.  I knew we had an in-store credit due to a foul up with their computer system.  DS Betsy took the boys to buy them last night of Hannukah gifts and when she came back she said the guy had told her the credit had already been used.  I knew I hadn't been in the store since we got the credit, so I called the guy very politely (no, really) and asked him to look up our records and tell me how it had been used.  The guy went OFF on me (I mean, totally losing it, as only an early 20-something can) and then HUNG UP ON ME!  Bad decision.  :)  I called back, asked for his district manager's number, and HE HUNG UP ON ME AGAIN!  So I simply called another store and got the manager's cell number and called him.  I was fuming by the time this was all over--I believe I may have even channeled BK for a brief shining moment.  :)

:o And the outcome??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2008, 03:27:02 PM »

They will get to it next week unless I notice water on the floor in the meantime.  I have a very busy week next week, but I will find time to fit them in.  This is just too good.   Thanks for the vibes!

Congrats on the good news! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »

Bad news from the Dixie front.

It seems that the vets that took care of her girlie parts didn't do a very good job of it.  She got all infected, and der B's SIL had to rush her to a vet closer to where they live.  Hopefully she'll be all right, but our local SPCA is going to have a lot to answer for.

Such as why they've allowed what was a fairly decent and clean animal shelter turn into a total dump.

Such as why they've hired vets who would botch such an operation.

I can only imagine the trauma the younger grandlad is going through right now, being the sort who wears his heart on his sleeve, and no doubt has already fallen totally in love with the dog.

I might even suggest to der B's daughter that she write to the local paper about what has happened.

~~~Vibes for DD Dixie!!~~~

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2008, 03:28:03 PM »

But the location in Sacramento is closing and offering 40%-off their entire stock. -At least according to the e-blast that Border's sent out. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2008, 03:28:21 PM »

DR George, medicine vibes for you and your cat.

Thanks, and Ebonie thanks you, too! ;D

JMK

« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2008, 03:28:25 PM »

We had a little customer service brouhaha last night with Game Crazy.  I knew we had an in-store credit due to a foul up with their computer system.  DS Betsy took the boys to buy them last night of Hannukah gifts and when she came back she said the guy had told her the credit had already been used.  I knew I hadn't been in the store since we got the credit, so I called the guy very politely (no, really) and asked him to look up our records and tell me how it had been used.  The guy went OFF on me (I mean, totally losing it, as only an early 20-something can) and then HUNG UP ON ME!  Bad decision.  :)  I called back, asked for his district manager's number, and HE HUNG UP ON ME AGAIN!  So I simply called another store and got the manager's cell number and called him.  I was fuming by the time this was all over--I believe I may have even channeled BK for a brief shining moment.  :)

:o And the outcome??

The district manager sounded all of 22 himself (he called the salesman's behavior "retarded," for instance), but called and screamed at the guy and then called back and apologized to us.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2008, 03:28:52 PM »

But the location in Sacramento is closing and offering 40%-off their entire stock. -At least according to the e-blast that Border's sent out. ;)

I got that e-mail...and the "correction" e-mail.

JMK

« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2008, 03:28:59 PM »

...and then apologized for.

JMK

« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »

Stop that.

Laura

« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »

Did Jose ever find his keys?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JMK

« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2008, 03:35:47 PM »

He's looking for his watch now.

Laura

« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2008, 03:36:46 PM »

SWoody,  the vet at one of the local shelters were fostered for years ago was incompetent. They must be cheaper for the shelters to hire.

I hope Miss Dixie is ok.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 03:49:38 PM by Laura »
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2008, 03:38:58 PM »

Freddie Hubbard, R.I.P.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2008, 03:40:02 PM »

He's looking for his watch now.

Well, since I never had the watch, well...

And I never found my keys.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2008, 03:42:16 PM »

... As I posted on my Facebook page: After a number of visits to NYC, I should just accept the fact that when my parents come to NYC, they're here to visit NYC and not me....
But it wouldn't be the same without you.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2008, 03:42:27 PM »

BEWARE OF BAD LANGUAGE....but this IS funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxf-e_CfZg

OHH!!!  I haven't seen that one in years!  LOVED IT THEN, LOVE IT NOW!

Thanks for the "reminder" - and the chance to bookmark it!

Apparently, I have misplaced my sense of humor.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2008, 03:42:51 PM »

Stop that.

Of course, I read the original email and knew that only the soon-to-close Sacramento location was offering 40%-off across the board. I didn't think there was anything to correct or to apologize for. 
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2008, 03:43:57 PM »

... As I posted on my Facebook page: After a number of visits to NYC, I should just accept the fact that when my parents come to NYC, they're here to visit NYC and not me....
But it wouldn't be the same without you.

Aw, Thanks. I needed that.  I really did. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2008, 03:44:50 PM »

Freddie Hubbard, R.I.P.

Oh, no!  I was just listening to First Light yesterday.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up