Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EVELYN WOOD NOTES  (Read 26021 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE EVELYN WOOD NOTES
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2007, 01:33:57 PM »

Good Afternoon!

What a totally beautiful day it is today here in NYC!

-Or something like that.  In any case, I think I may head back out in a bit and head to Reservoir for the first time in a couple of weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2007, 01:35:25 PM »

PAGE FIVE CENTRAL PARK RESERVOIR DANCE!!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2007, 01:41:22 PM »

In other news, I had a fine and fun time at Starfighter rehearsal this morning, then ended up having lunch with DR Jason at Renaissance Diner.  *Their $9.95 lunch special is truly a good deal.

After lunch, I headed up to the Time-Warner Center to do some browsing at Border's where I "remembered" that the "Brothers & Sisters" boxed set came out today.  And since Borders had sent out a Borders Reward coupon good for 40% off DVD boxed sets, well... I think I'll be heading back down there later too.  Then it was back on the subway uptown, a brief stop at the grocery store, and back to the apartment...

Where I noticed that the front window - my bedroom window is broken.  Thankfully, it's a double-pane one, and only the outer pane is broken, but still...  I called the building's handyman, and he said he had noticed that a few days ago - Oh!?!? - and that he had already put in the request for the repair.  So, hopefully, that will be taken care of by the end of the week.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2007, 01:43:39 PM »

Hmm.. I didn't realize that Joe was the other Speedo-boy in The Brain.  I thought it was one of the other guys in the cast.  ;)  -But I'm sure Joe will look fine in gold.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2007, 01:46:31 PM »

DR singdaw - Glad you had a good time at the Steinway factory.  Steinway Hall is fun, but it's not as "involved" as the factory.  However, sometimes, "stars" will pop in to try out pianos for an upcoming appearance in the City.  I've seen - and heard - Harry Connick, Jr., trying out a few pianos before.

There's no real tour of Steinway Hall.  You basically just walk around.  If the room is open you can go in.  And, yes, you can sit down and try out the pianos.  I sometimes will peek into the basement which is filled(?) with uprights.  I have no idea how they get them all down there - and out of there too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2007, 01:50:28 PM »

Back to the Topic of the Day...

The first stage show I remember seeing - I think - was The King & I... Somewhere in Connecticut (we were living in Ledyard/New London at the time.  I would have been eight or nine years old.  I remember the fireworks effect, and the hoopskirt "joke".  And, of course, the ballet.

But I also played Eeyore in a school production of "Winnie the Pooh" in first grade.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2007, 01:58:54 PM »

A red balloon:  79 cents.

A signed first edition of A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh:  $1,500.00.

DR JoseSPiano as Eeyore:  priceless.

singdaw

« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2007, 01:59:52 PM »

I picked up Brothers and Sisters, Season 1, using my 40% off coupon at Borders just this afternoon!  :)

Ginny

« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »

...I sometimes will peek into the basement which is filled(?) with uprights.  I have no idea how they get them all down there - and out of there too.

The house I grew up in had a side door from which you made a right turn down the basement steps, a left turn into the 1/2 bath, and went up 2 steps into the kitchen.  The landing was about the size of a phone booth.  At the bottom of the basement steps there was a great big ol' player piano, which prompted my dad to say, "We'll take it!" when they first looked at the house.  We wondered and wondered how the previous owners had gotten that piano into the basement.  Neighbors told us that they'd taken it apart in the driveway, taken the pieces downstairs, and reassembled the piano.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2007, 02:02:18 PM »

This morning DR Kerry and I went for a walk, and this is what we saw:

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2007, 02:10:51 PM »

Gorgeous shots, DR Laura!!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2007, 02:11:58 PM »

Glad to see I'm not the only fan of BROTHERS & SISTERS around here!

Just read an interview with several of the stars at TV GUIDE-online, and the new season sounds so great. Can't wait to get back involved with the Walker family.

singdaw

« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2007, 02:12:19 PM »

DR Laura - lovely!  But...no picture of DR Kerry?

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2007, 02:13:08 PM »

Now, I have some writing to tend to, so I'll sign off for the moment.

Then, I'll read another chapter in the breathless DEATHLY HALLOWS (so many captures and narrow escapes!) before heading back for more TV.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »

DR Laura - lovely!  But...no picture of DR Kerry?

I was about to say and ask the same thing.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2007, 02:18:52 PM »

We were too busy looking at bugs.

No good shots of dragonflies today. They were about, but not sitting still.

It was a lovely day. It is nice and cool -- under 95F! We sat for a while and watched some juvenile goldfinches as they attempted to learn how to land on the fountain to bathe. It took many attempts.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2007, 02:45:42 PM »

OOPs Early onset. I did see another movie with the Family at the Keith theater; It also was SONG OF THE SOUTH; They took me home crying.Maybe that's why we went to the drive in so much.

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2007, 02:53:30 PM »

And The Song of The Day is:  AUTUMN LEAVES

I'm so pleased it is not changed to "Fall Leaves".

A beautiful song

"Forever Autumn"  is a great pop song from the 1980s. It deserved more sucess!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2007, 02:58:48 PM »

I got it.

But how many others did? ;D I did...I have the album! :D

Don't we all.!  Never underestimate us DR Michael..
(DR George has the Lithuanian recording as well)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2007, 03:04:21 PM »

Thank you for the photographs DRs Laura and Jose.

I think DR Kerry is still in his pupa stage.
(a reference to DR Jose's mention of Zorba)

Not too fast!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2007, 03:07:59 PM »

You have Philemon (hint, hint)?!?!
I guess you're not interested in the Cd copy then.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2007, 03:24:20 PM »

Just read an interview with several of the stars at TV GUIDE-online, and the new season sounds so great. Can't wait to get back involved with the Walker family.

What I want to know (and I keep forgetting to look ::)) is when each new and returning show has its first new episode.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »

You have Philemon (hint, hint)?!?!

I guess you're not interested in the Cd copy then.

Boy, am I dense. ::) I didn't get Ben's "hint".  I think something can be arranged. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2007, 03:30:57 PM »

And a sort of Sondheim reference...according to THIS article:

Galina Vishnevskaya speaks to the media in Moscow, Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2007, with a backdrop photo showing her with late husband, cellist Mstislav Rostropovich, some years ago. An art collection belonging to Mstislav Rostropovich and Galina Vishnevsakaya has been sold Monday to a Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov for substantially more than $40 million, just a day before it was to go up for sale at a Sotheby's auction. Russia's government had a hand in convincing Sotheby's to make the surprise move of removing the collection from the market, in order to sell it to Usmanov who has promised to return the works to their homeland, a top culture official said Tuesday. (AP Photo/Sergei Grits)

That was actually the caption to this picture:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 03:31:47 PM by George »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2007, 03:31:13 PM »

Hey everyone.  Caught up on the notes and today's postings, probably can rule out catching up on posts, though.  Good to hear the "Brain" is doing well.  It's tech week for Annie, Get Your Gun this week.  I guess it's a good show, there's been so much drama off stage that it's really brought the creative teams spirits down and has reduced most of us to "let's just get this over with" attitudes.  I'll be happy when the show is up and running.    This Saturday are auditions for A Christmas Carol this will be my second year of doing this version (Menkin/Ahrens) and I really enjoy it.

The weather is finally beginning to cool off, which is odd for ths time of year in the SF Bay Area.  I'm sure in a week of so we'll experience a form of Indian Summer and it will be warm again.  Get on with Fall already.....

DR Matthew, how big is your band for ANNIE? How does it sound?  We all joke at R&H that it's the most performed unheard orchestration in history!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2007, 03:33:16 PM »

I got it.

But how many others did? ;D I did...I have the album! :D

I saw the show.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2007, 03:35:03 PM »

OK.  Here's a pic from about a year ago, if it really loads.  DR Laura and i had a lovely time this morning.

Although I remember seeing lots of movies as a kid, the first experience itself would going to the Christmas time opening  of Disney version of "Babes in Toyland."

The first two movies (at the Palms Theatre) to really tranbsport me were, "Fantasia" and "Fanny."  I loved the Pastorale sequence in Fantasia (and still do) and loved all the shots of the sea in "Fanny."

The first play I saw was a Children's Theatre production of "Puss in Boots"  The kids were yelling back at the cat, and I remembered thinking how stupid that was because the cat was not going to acknowledge the remarks nor respond to them.   The first play that had a chance to really take me away was a local production of "Oliver!"  that seemed so darned professional!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 03:36:04 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2007, 03:36:56 PM »

Sorry that my post took us into Cinemascope.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 03:38:06 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2007, 03:38:14 PM »

But where are their Speedos??

;)

They will be wearing them hopefully on Thursday.  I get the impression the costumer is as beloved in BK's affections as the management of the rehearsal studio.

On a happier note, the band rehearsal went well, and  the new material sounds great!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2007, 03:41:13 PM »

Where I noticed that the front window - my bedroom window is broken.  Thankfully, it's a double-pane one, and only the outer pane is broken, but still...  I called the building's handyman, and he said he had noticed that a few days ago - Oh!?!? - and that he had already put in the request for the repair.  So, hopefully, that will be taken care of by the end of the week.

Someone trying to get out?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up