Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EVELYN WOOD NOTES  (Read 26018 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:THE EVELYN WOOD NOTES
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2007, 04:00:48 PM »

Sneaking in to say hello....

Busier than a hornet's nest here to night and very odd energy...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Kerry

« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2007, 04:15:40 PM »

I bought an orange and a peach at the store yesterday, and the both seemed about ripe.  Removing them from the store muust have been like removing Margo from Shangri-La.   They started to age when away from the store. and they were both ripe immdiately thereafter and were threatening to overripen RIGHT NOW!!!  
I like boat races.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2007, 04:15:52 PM »

Cilla I also look like Liza ;D

Sorry about the work problems, best of luck with that.  Maybe you can hire a temp to train the one you have.

The photo program is a bunch of baloney.  One of my matches was Robert Redford (Oh Puh-LEEZ)  However, my nearest match was a 74% with Chris Noth.  I WISH!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

singdaw

« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2007, 04:22:14 PM »

Thanks, DR Kerry, for posting the photo!  Cinemascope be darned.  :)

singdaw

« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2007, 04:22:33 PM »

Off to a Yom Kippur rehearsal.   Oy!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2007, 04:30:26 PM »

I probably went to other movies before this one, but the first movie I remember seeing in a theater was THE WIZARD OF OZ (No, derBrucer, this was not 1939).
This was probably 55 or 56, so I assume it was a re-release,  since this was before it was ever shown on TV.  My sister and I went to the little Proctor Theatre, just down the street from where we lived.  We went to see it on a Saturday.  It was extremely cold that day, and the line wound clear around the block.  Just as we got to the box office, the SOLD OUT sign went up.  I remember that we went back the next day, stood in another long line, and almost didn't get in again.  Fortunately (or unfortunaely) Mr. Spencer, who ran the theater, knew that my sister and I had been turned away the day before; so he took us in and seated us on the steps of the stage to watch the movie.  This was really great, until the first big close up of Margaret Hamilton in green make-up screaming at Dorothy.  I started crying and screaming.  I have no idea if we stayed for the rest of the movies or not.
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2007, 04:32:31 PM »

I probably went to other movies before this one, but the first movie I remember seeing in a theater was THE WIZARD OF OZ (No, derBrucer, this was not 1939).
This was probably 55 or 56, so I assume it was a re-release,  since this was before it was ever shown on TV.  My sister and I went to the little Proctor Theatre, just down the street from where we lived.  We went to see it on a Saturday.  It was extremely cold that day, and the line wound clear around the block.  Just as we got to the box office, the SOLD OUT sign went up.  I remember that we went back the next day, stood in another long line, and almost didn't get in again.  Fortunately (or unfortunaely) Mr. Spencer, who ran the theater, knew that my sister and I had been turned away the day before; so he took us in and seated us on the steps of the stage to watch the movie.  This was really great, until the first big close up of Margaret Hamilton in green make-up screaming at Dorothy.  I started crying and screaming.  I have no idea if we stayed for the rest of the movies or not.

What a coinkydink!  You mentioned "The Wizard of Oz" and RIGHT NOW I'm listening to a recording of Wicked! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2007, 04:33:29 PM »

Cilla I also look like Liza ;D

Sorry about the work problems, best of luck with that.  Maybe you can hire a temp to train the one you have.

DR Jane, I never thought of that. I am going to talk to her tomorrow morning to tell her what I think I need her to do and see where we are.  I'd like to try to work  something out, whether it's long term with her or a transition for both of us.  She doesn't work on Tuesday, so I haven't seen her since she left yesterday
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 04:49:04 PM by Cillaliz »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #158 on: September 18, 2007, 04:45:16 PM »

DR TCB - He is just a blogger that I follow.  From the Chicago area.

Your dollar is in the male.
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #159 on: September 18, 2007, 04:51:37 PM »

I probably saw movies even as an infant, but the first I REALLY remember is Dr. Zhivago at the drive in movie.
First musical I remember is the Estherville High School production of My Fair Lady, I think...  I was about 6 or 7 I think and I got autographs of the entire cast.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #160 on: September 18, 2007, 04:52:32 PM »

Callie is getting better. Boo is being very naughty tonight.  I just heard some thunder, so maybe that's why. I probably shouldn't have been yelling NO at her so much.  She is definitely a teenage girl.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »

Singdaw thank you for taking us on your tour of the Steinway factory,

Ginny, your upcoming trip will be good for you & Richard, & very much needed.

Tomovoz

« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2007, 05:02:32 PM »

My latest CD purchaes to arrive.

DRs Kerry and JRand will know them:

The Best of Patience and Prudence
The Fontane Sisters.

I love the 1950s
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 05:20:10 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2007, 05:03:06 PM »

Also the new Mark Knopfler release.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2007, 05:04:04 PM »

Jose, thank you for the beautiful photo of NY.

We watched the food channel last night.  I kept laughing at the OVERSIZED food items.  Have you ever eaten one of those BIG food items where if you finish it all you get it free?  I wouldn’t be surprised if you have.

We also watched most of the diner episode which was very interesting.  Keith loves diners.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »

Today was really a break through day for me. Immigration law is much more complicated than I ever dreamed it would be. I am now learning the little things like the judge's idiosyncracies and that you need to file your e -28 on green paper (good grief).

Anyway, another lawyer in town said she's going to start doing some immigration.  I spoke with Frank (my sort of competitor) about it today. He told me that lots of lawyers say they are going to do immigration then get to a point and decide it's too much.  He hit the point a few months ago and is still doing immigration, but is doing a lot of other things. I think I hit that point yesterday and today, but what happened is it strengthened my resolve. I am going to get past this learning curve and make this practice happen. This new burst of inspiration and about 5 or 6 phone calls to an immigration lawyer friend in Omaha, have me ready for my first real immigration hearing tomorrow in Omaha.  

We can do these hearings on the phone, but I want to go to the court room and meet everyone.   So I picked a case that I'm doing pro bono.  I won't get paid to go there, but I'll get to go on a "real" hearing without feeling I'm charging a client for unnecessary travel time.  It's only a bond hearing, something I've done a million times in criminal court, but I feel like this is real now.  Don't know if that makes sense.  I'm happy about it.  

It also puts me in a good place for the talk I need to have tomorrow.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2007, 05:07:09 PM »

Great photo of you, KERRY!

Cillaliz

« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2007, 05:07:23 PM »

2 hours of THE BIGGEST LOSER vs 2 hours of BIG BROTHER 8  

hmmmm

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2007, 05:08:53 PM »

Vibes of stick-to-it-iveness to Cillaliz.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2007, 05:13:22 PM »

TOD:
I recall my mother taking me to FRANCIS, THE TALKING MULE when I was a little girl. We never went to the movies as a family. Like Der Brucer, I was sometimes dropped off at the Culver or Meralta theatres with my friend Jan.

The first live musical I saw was ONCE UPON A MATTRESS at Bluth Bros Theatre. BK had phoned me and said, "You MUST see this!" I did, and promptly fell in love with the theatre.  I blame BK!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »

Positive court vibes to CILLALIZ!

Kerry

« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2007, 05:16:31 PM »

My latest CD purcchaes to arrive.

DRs Kerry and JRand will know them:

The Best of Patience and Prudence
The Fontane Sisters.

I love the 1950s

I know them well!   I still just have the records, although I downloaded a couple of them.
I like boat races.

Tomovoz

« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2007, 05:19:36 PM »

for those who can:

Knopfler's "Secondary Waltz" is one of the songs that really makes you smile.
The Cd is "Kill To Get Crimson".  highly recommended
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 05:20:44 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2007, 05:19:44 PM »

The first three live theater productions that I saw (outside of school plays and our junior theater productions) were CAROUSEL, THE DESERT SONG, and THE RED MILL.   Each spring during the 50s and 60s, the Tacoma Little Theatre presented their big gala musical that ran nightly and required all the leads to be double-cast.  I just looked it up to be sure of the order, because if you had asked me, I would have said that THE DESERT SONG was the first.  It was so exciting to me, and I still remember that The Riffs made their first entrance coming down the aisles of the theater singing The Riff Song.  Apparently that left a bigger impression than Billy Bigelow falling on his knife.
“One thing’s universal,

Kerry

« Reply #174 on: September 18, 2007, 05:21:23 PM »

It was so exciting to me, and I still remember that The Riffs made their first entrance coming down the aisles of the theater singing The Riff Song.  Apparently that left a bigger impression than Billy Bigelow falling on his knife.

How positively Freudian! ;)
I like boat races.

Ginny

« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2007, 05:21:51 PM »

...Ginny, your upcoming trip will be good for you & Richard, & very much needed.

Yes, DR Jane.  Up until last Wednesday, I was not at all sure we'd be able to go through with it.  Did y'all notice that I stopped talking about it all together for a while there?  I, of course, didn't want to make an issue of it, but it was certainly on my mind a lot.

Richard's older brother and his wife left today for a hastily-planned decompressing getaway.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 05:22:24 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »

This morning DR Kerry and I went for a walk, and this is what we saw:

Was he a good boy and did he stay on his lead, or did you end up having to muzzle him?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2007, 05:27:17 PM »

This was probably 55 or 56, so I assume it was a re-release,    This was really great, until the first big close up of Margaret Hamilton in green make-up screaming at Dorothy.  I started crying and screaming.  I have no idea if we stayed for the rest of the movies or not.

;D  I suppose being a year older than you at the time I saw the movie is a good exclamation as to why I didn't scream or cry.  I remember I wasn't nearly as thrilled with the movie as every one around me.  I'm sure I had nightmares that night, and for years later thanks to the flying monkeys.  Maybe they are the reason I have never been keen about monkeys.

Margaret Hamilton in green make-up wasn't half as scary as the witch in SNOW WHITE!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2007, 05:28:46 PM »

Someone trying to get out?

In that case, both panes would be out, and the handyman would be gone!
“One thing’s universal,

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2007, 05:32:07 PM »

"How can we make this better?"

This is the question addressed at every Such Good Friends rehearsal by a veritable brain trust: Ten prodigiously experienced musical comedy actors, the world's funniest choreographer, a preternaturally calm musical director, a boy genius director who's beloved by everybody, and me - all pitch ideas for improvements. These clarify the story. Make moments funnier, or more touching, or more surprising. I'm constantly writing on pads, working out better ways of phrasing things, new jokes; then I come home, type up the changes to send to the stage manager, and catch some sleep before the day begins all over again. I love these days: one can rest assured that the show will improve by leaps and bounds every day.

Today, a whole song got cut.  A verse of another went to a different character.  One verse of another got cut.  And one of my favorites got a verse added back in which had been cut in July.  That's how it goes.

Good to meet Cason, BJ, journalist Juliana (who's in some other NYMF show) and finally get to shake hands with Bruce last night.  Loud music!  Crowds!  Free booze!  These aren't a few of my favorite things, but Joy was proud the Press Rep kept pulling me off for more photos.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up