Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I, POD  (Read 84616 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I, POD
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2005, 02:55:37 PM »

It's funny, but I don't find Bonnie Hunt funny at all.

I do love Shuffle Play, though.  Especially on the iPod.  Yes, I, Pod love Shuffle Play on the iPod.  What I find most amazing about the iPod is the brilliance of its concept.  And the quality is amazingly amazing.  I suppose cassettes are dead now.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2005, 02:55:42 PM »

I need to get back to work.

Laters.

Michael

« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2005, 03:08:26 PM »

I also like Margaret Cho.

I also like Pablo Francisco

and George Carlin is brilliant whether he's blue or clean

I used to like Joan Rivers but her humor doesn't work now

Lily Tomlin: Her best routine was a long bit called Glinda a Child of The 60's.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2005, 03:10:05 PM »

I know it was ask question day, but this one came to my mind.

If you could live in any television series which one would it be?

Mine would be a Bewitched, but I would have to be a warlock.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2005, 03:13:34 PM »

Making notes, printing notes, reading notes.  I've decided that by Monday I will know which way I'm going with this new thing I'm going to write.  I've almost decided on the decade, decided on several key issues on which I was waffling, and will now buckle down Winsocki and decide everything else that needs deciding.  

I love having music on, right in my face, whilst I type and roam around the Internet.

The sun has fought a losing battle to break through the gray sky, although I can see it finally has way off in the distance.  Still, thankfully, it's dry.

Got two count them two CDs in the mail today - Roger Nichols and The Small Circle of Friends Complete (import) and the Paul Williams-Roger Nichols Demo Sessions (import).  Somehow I've never heard The Small Circle of Friends sides, and so far they're just great.  I know I'll enjoy the demo album, too.  I absolutely loved the A&M catalog back then.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2005, 03:14:37 PM »

DR Matthew -

Congrats!

Michael

« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2005, 03:17:23 PM »

I am pissed!
I forgot to watch Lost.
I started to watch Candide.
I did not like it. It should have been a fully stage version or a concert version with no staging.

Having Donald Trump in the show was a no no. I thought Lonny Price had some interesting staging ideas, but they ultimately failed in the concert setting.

They could have used more of the music and songs since the dialogu was abreviated. I wonder how Price was able to go back to the Hugh Wheeler version when Bernstein had his "final" version already produced. Why this step backwards?

Was it me or does Patti LuPone have terrible diction problems? I had to put on the subtitles to make out what she was saying. And the Patti LuPone joke at the end while funny was totally out of place.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2005, 03:17:31 PM »

Strange weather here. It was a record 18 degrees (Celsius) a little while ago, now it's on its way to dropping to minus ten.

I was at the local library earlier. It's a block from the Kingsway theatre, known for its unusual double bills. Next Tuesday, for example: Vera Drake, and Alexander.

Michael

« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2005, 03:20:16 PM »

To answer the questions about my new play:

Not quite sure of the date of the reading. But looking towards the end of the month. This way it gives me a couple of months to work with the actors who will be doing the readings.
Never stop dreaming.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2005, 03:20:17 PM »

Somehow I've never heard The Small Circle of Friends sides, and so far they're just great.  I know I'll enjoy the demo album, too.  I absolutely loved the A&M catalog back then.

I am shocked...shocked that you've never heard of Small Circle, one of the seminal albums from that era of A&M (in fact the A&M Board that Julius posted to is called "A Small Circle of Friends").  Just by coinkydink, my Tigard Pops Choir, which starts up again tonight, will be doing the Nichols/Williams tune "The Drifter," wonderfully recorded by A&M's Sandpipers and also by Harper's Bizarre.  And Roger Nichols lives in Bend, so if you come visit, we could drive over there and surprise him (it would be a complete surprise, as I have no idea where in Bend he lives, LOL).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2005, 03:20:54 PM »

Was it me or does Patti LuPone have terrible diction problems? I had to put on the subtitles to make out what she was saying. And the Patti LuPone joke at the end while funny was totally out of place.

It's not you, it's Patti. And what's with "Easily Assamilated"?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 03:22:10 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2005, 03:26:13 PM »

Yes, I too found Patti LuPpone's diction impenetrable.  At one point I turned to The Lovely Wife and said, "I have not understood a word that woman has sung.

I confess to not being a great LuPone fan.

Jane

« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2005, 03:34:07 PM »

Michael Shayne, interesting question.  I wanted, and still want, Samantha’s abilities but not her mother.

I would have enjoyed growing up as a member of the Stone family.

Jane

« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2005, 03:41:13 PM »

“Now surely we've all faced this problem: we've been invited to a fancy dress party at someone's country estate and nothing in the closet is quite right. What to wear?”

Thus begins an article form the Washington Post.   ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2005, 04:12:50 PM »

I always know what to wear when in doubt: Lounging pyjamas, a smoking jacket, and bunny slippers.  How can you go wrong?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2005, 04:14:56 PM »

Finally caught up with the posts.

Congrats, DR Matthew!

Koszonom (thank you) Vixmom for the Hungie site.

Jane - The audience member was Canadian. He sat there politely like so much fish and stared at me. In the US, I either would have been struck in the head with a program or the man would have joined us in the play.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2005, 04:18:20 PM »

It's funny, but I don't find Bonnie Hunt funny at all.

I do love Shuffle Play, though.  Especially on the iPod.  Yes, I, Pod love Shuffle Play on the iPod.  What I find most amazing about the iPod is the brilliance of its concept.  And the quality is amazingly amazing.  I suppose cassettes are dead now.  

I wouldn't hold out much hope for 8-tracks either.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2005, 04:24:03 PM »

DR Jane:  I haven't a klew what you mean by side-by-side photos.

Do you mean one that reflects me "now" as opposed to the one I use?

If so, I've used a more recent photo in the past...and it may still be in the cache.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2005, 04:24:37 PM »

Damn!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2005, 04:25:20 PM »

Damn, of course, referring to TCB's news of 8 Tracks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2005, 04:26:27 PM »

I was reasonably good at lunch - no bread, a large Caesar Salad with chicken and shared Spinach Artichoke dip.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2005, 04:27:15 PM »

What about BetaMax?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2005, 04:29:16 PM »

I wrote (rewrote) in a frenzy from 6 AM until 2:30 non-stop today and finished my script. You heard it here. It's done and delivered! And I think it's good. (I HOPE it's good.)

While I was writing away this morning, I felt like I was in a Truffaut movie (specifically DAY FOR NIGHT). I glanced out my window (floor to ceiling, next to me desk) and saw a bicyclist being towed by a truck as he was filmed. Each time I looked up and glanced out, there he was again. (I think they were shooting MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE).

On my way to deliver the script - the producers' office happens to be within walking distance - I saw a middle-aged woman frantically running after a dog. "Gaspar!" she kept shouting  (with a Hispanic accent). I joined her in the chase because it looked like he was going to run into traffic and be hurt. It turned out she was a nanny who had left the baby in her charge alone to chase the dog who got out because her employer left the gate open. Mid-chase I knocked on the door of a house where I heard dogs barking and asked if I could have a dog treat and a leash. The man in the house wouldn't give me a leash, but he did hand me a biscuit. So I went running after Gaspar with the biscuit. Finally he got tired and let the nanny catch him. So then the two of us - the nanny holding him by the collar, me walking in front of him holding the biscuit out to tempt him, dragged him the fair distance back home (He was a pretty big dog!) The Nanny was very grateful and relieved. Last year Gaspar apparently pulled the same stunt and was run over! Anyway, we got him home and I continued on to deliver my script.
My good doggie deed for the day!
The End

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2005, 04:31:28 PM »

DR TCB, I never said I didn't enjoy THE SIXTH SENSE, only that its BIG surprise wasn't a surprise to me at all. I still found it involving and even a bit scary in places. (And what's funny is that THE OTHERS completely fooled me with a similar surprise!)

I went to see UNBREAKABLE with a bunch of teachers on my team at school, and not a one of them liked it at all, so you weren't alone in your feelings. I did, however, love it.

MattH -- Sorry for my sorry.  It probably should have been attached to the sentence about UNBREAKABLE or the sentence about SIGNS, rather than the sentence about THE SIXTH SENSE.  The real problem, Matt, is that you are supposed to be able to read my mind, so that I don't have to make SENSE in my posts.  I understood what I was trying to say.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2005, 04:32:15 PM »

Now I must feed my own dog and walk him and then shower as I am a mess.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2005, 04:39:15 PM »

DR Panni:  Enjoy your ablutions.

Danise

« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2005, 04:40:23 PM »

Evening all!

I also enjoyed last nights Lost.   I still haven’t made my mind up as to what is really going on.  Part of me thinks they are all dead and they in that half way place and another part of me just wonders if it’s a Fantasy Island.

Congrats to DR Matthew!  I’m very happy for you!

I’m not crazy on comedians.  Some make me laugh but a lot of what is considered “funny” now days I find very crude and insulting.  I like the old “Who’s on First” type of comedy.  They could tell a joke and it didn’t have to be sexually explicit or use profanity every other word.    

Good job on catching the pooch, Panni!   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2005, 04:48:51 PM »

Script-delivery and Gaspar-rescuing congrats to DR Panni. Talk about multi-tasking!

Kerry

« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2005, 04:57:20 PM »

I always wanted to be in the Stone family too.  Does that make you my sister, Jane?

Today's funny people fit more into the category of comedic actors (and are usually equally terrific in dramatic roles) rather than comedians:  Bette Midler, Lily Tomlin are two of the best.  Candace Bergen, Whoopi Goldberg are two more.  Drew Carey seems talented enough also.

People like Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Tom Cruise, Ewan McGregor and are all good in funny romantic films, but apparently they don't do as well at the box office without at least one explosion every 60 seconds.

I cannot think of any current people who are considered to be "funny" who are.  
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2005, 04:59:05 PM »

So, Jane, what do you think of Bonnie Hunt? :D

I also find her wonderfully funny, but am consistently disappointed with her sitcom attempts.

I like Bonnie Hunt a lot, too.  But she constantly insists on doing the improv stuff in all of her show and it rarely worked.  Sitcoms just don't lend themselves to that kind of comedy.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up