Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: CURMUDGEON  (Read 29562 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: CURMUDGEON
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2009, 08:34:02 AM »

I must now head downstairs to check the mail, start fixing some lunch, and put a load of linens in the laundry.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2009, 08:34:15 AM »

Page Four Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2009, 08:34:33 AM »

And now I'm REALLY going!™

;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2009, 08:36:37 AM »

Well, DR DAW posted that tone generator thingy the other day, and now here's another "tone generator":

Audience Sounds

;)

*Some of the sounds are longer than others, so if you want them to stop, just push the button again.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2009, 08:38:07 AM »

Love rants, keep them coming.  And I don't agree and/or like that definition of curmudgeon that MBarnum found - I am not surly, nor am I ill-tempered, and yet I am a curmudgeon. 

This talk of music in the car has inspired me to go attempt to have my car CD player fixed - it hasn't worked for over a year, and that IS part of my driving problem, although if I see cars endangering my life I will do everything I know to let that person know to KNOCK IT OFF.  Meanwhile, hammering began a little later today, maybe 7:45 - just what they're hammering is anyone's guess, since all there is over there is earth.  Maybe they're trying to wake everyone gently, because moments later the tractors began their grading work - you know, driving back and forth and forth and back over the same ground - they call it grading.  I know how to grade, too - I give them an F.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2009, 08:39:38 AM »

TOD:

Another theater story:  I was in a theater that was, at best, two-thirds filled.  I had a good seat, and no one was in front of me for about five rows.

A few minutes before the film was started, a couple sat in front of me.  Directly.  Not two rows, three rows, four rows or five rows ahead of me, but DIRECTLY in front of me.

There was the usual yakkity-yakking before the film started and, unfortunately, during the opening credits, but the couple settled in when the "talking" started.

An occasional comment would emanate from the man during the opening 15 minutes.  The woman was much more quiet, but he was a bit loud.

Suddenly, at a moment when something crucial was happening on the screen, the man turned to the woman and said, rather loudly, "What did he say?"

I leaned forward and said:  "He said you need to turn up your hearing aid!"

I said it rather loudly, too.  Some laughter ensued.  The man said nothing for the rest of the film.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DAW

« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2009, 08:52:49 AM »

It's a good thing I don't possess telekinetic powers.

The mind boggles!!        :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2009, 08:53:21 AM »

TOD:  And, of course, what really irritates me the most is those people who necessitate my becoming a surly, ill-mannered, bad-tempered person.  I'd never have been able to do that without them.   ;D

And damn them all to hell for making me "be" that way!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:54:55 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2009, 08:55:45 AM »

It's a good thing I don't possess telekinetic powers.

The mind boggles!!        :)

Not at first....at first, I'd make sure you mind was intact to comprehend all the fun things I'd make you do.  THEN I'd boggle your mind!

DAW

« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2009, 08:56:05 AM »

!!sdrawkcab gnitnirp llits si retnirp yM       >:(

DAW

« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2009, 08:57:09 AM »

In other words, DR Ron Pulliam would like to thank all the little people....            :)

DAW

« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2009, 09:00:30 AM »

Very much enjoying and recommend this novel by Elinor Lipman:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2009, 09:02:32 AM »

I had yet another run-in with some yokel of the Film Score Monthly board.  Now, I do think this yokel is a troll and I shouldn't have taken the bait, as he's done his dirty business in multiple Kritzerland threads and has been decimated by many people each time he does.  But that doesn't stop him.  He is either purposely acting like a moron (I mean a REAL moron - like something's wrong with you moron) or he IS a moron.  He's said that he's an adult with children and yet he writes like he IS a child - I think the truth of the matter is he's probably a high-schooler.  He's posted under five or six names, only one of which resembles his real name.  He has, once again, been thrown off the board.  He's accused me and others of bullying him - when asked to provide one quote - ONE quote from any post to back up the claim of bullying, he cannot.  Not only can't he, but he just disappears like the little scum-sucking turd he is.  After he was thrown off the board last night (which is the board owner's prerogative, not mine), I received an e-mail from his "friend."  Supposedly, I was on his "ignore" list, but his "friend" would read the thread and tell him what I was posting.  I think it makes for illuminating reading, given today's discussion - my response was measured, but strong and truthful.  Here is what he wrote:

"I want you to know, you have lost a customer for your label.  I am that friend of Kevin Sumen (BK: Kevin Sumen is not his real name, just the name he posts under, one of many), who you helped in getting kicked off of the FSM message board.  It is funny how, Kevin complained about the games you play and as soon as he got kicked off, it was back to your games again (BK: By "games" he means giving FSM readers clews on our next release).  I am sorry, if Kevin and I upset you in finding fault with your release, but hey, in your line of work you have to be able to take critasizm, which it seems you can not take (BK: I told him I'd be more likely to take critacizm from a person who could actually spell the word correctly.  The "critacizm" consisted of telling everyone Tom Jones had a lot of distortion - it has none, not one note, which I and others pointed out to him).  So, you will just piss off enough people, you will lose business.  I have decided to sell Tom Jones and a few other of the Kritzerland release that I have, just because I do not agree with the way you treat people.  Yes, at times Kevin stepped over the line, but most of the time you drew him over that line, but you and your high and mighty friends on FSM seem to like to do that and then go crawling and crying to Lukas and let him do your dirty work."

a) I did not have him thrown off the message board - he'd received many warnings from the owner of the board - the owner read the thread and banned him - simple as pie.

b) again, I asked him to provide one example of bullying or anyone helping the dear boy over the line.  He couldn't.

c) I believe his "friend" who wrote the e-mail is, in fact, him. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:04:33 AM by bk »

DAW

« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2009, 09:04:13 AM »

It has been written that if Jane Austen had been born about two centuries later, gone to Smith, and then palled around with Fran Lebowitz, chances are she'd have written like Elinor Lipman.  :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2009, 09:31:46 AM »

I had yet another run-in with some yokel of the Film Score Monthly board.  Now, I do think this yokel is a troll and I shouldn't have taken the bait, as he's done his dirty business in multiple Kritzerland threads and has been decimated by many people each time he does.  But that doesn't stop him.  He is either purposely acting like a moron (I mean a REAL moron - like something's wrong with you moron) or he IS a moron.  He's said that he's an adult with children and yet he writes like he IS a child - I think the truth of the matter is he's probably a high-schooler.  He's posted under five or six names, only one of which resembles his real name.  He has, once again, been thrown off the board.  He's accused me and others of bullying him - when asked to provide one quote - ONE quote from any post to back up the claim of bullying, he cannot.  Not only can't he, but he just disappears like the little scum-sucking turd he is.  After he was thrown off the board last night (which is the board owner's prerogative, not mine), I received an e-mail from his "friend."  Supposedly, I was on his "ignore" list, but his "friend" would read the thread and tell him what I was posting.  I think it makes for illuminating reading, given today's discussion - my response was measured, but strong and truthful.  Here is what he wrote:

"I want you to know, you have lost a customer for your label.  I am that friend of Kevin Sumen (BK: Kevin Sumen is not his real name, just the name he posts under, one of many), who you helped in getting kicked off of the FSM message board.  It is funny how, Kevin complained about the games you play and as soon as he got kicked off, it was back to your games again (BK: By "games" he means giving FSM readers clews on our next release).  I am sorry, if Kevin and I upset you in finding fault with your release, but hey, in your line of work you have to be able to take critasizm, which it seems you can not take (BK: I told him I'd be more likely to take critacizm from a person who could actually spell the word correctly.  The "critacizm" consisted of telling everyone Tom Jones had a lot of distortion - it has none, not one note, which I and others pointed out to him).  So, you will just piss off enough people, you will lose business.  I have decided to sell Tom Jones and a few other of the Kritzerland release that I have, just because I do not agree with the way you treat people.  Yes, at times Kevin stepped over the line, but most of the time you drew him over that line, but you and your high and mighty friends on FSM seem to like to do that and then go crawling and crying to Lukas and let him do your dirty work."

a) I did not have him thrown off the message board - he'd received many warnings from the owner of the board - the owner read the thread and banned him - simple as pie.

b) again, I asked him to provide one example of bullying or anyone helping the dear boy over the line.  He couldn't.

c) I believe his "friend" who wrote the e-mail is, in fact, him. 

That "person" possibly named "Kevin Sumen" (among many names he is signed up under) is a first-class putz.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:43:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2009, 09:33:26 AM »

Sumen ist icumer in.

Or sumenthing like that.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2009, 09:37:39 AM »

Ron's popcorn "burrowing" post put me in mind of the movie DINER. LOL...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2009, 09:42:15 AM »

M-o-o-n...that spells "popcorn burrowing"!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »

In other words, DR Ron Pulliam would like to thank all the little people....            :)

...and, of course, you, too, DR DAW!

Edisaurus

« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2009, 09:45:36 AM »

bk, I empathize with your plight. Before we moved away from Marietta, the entire neighborhood around my house (4 blocks worth) was torn down, leaving only the houses on my street intact. (Wish the city had bought mine for the price that they paid to the slumlords, who let the neighborhood deteriorate until the city felt it needed to be destroyed.)

Of course, after destroying the acres of old growth forest behind my house, the developers ran out of money. So most of the neighborhood is now a "PVC farm".
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DAW

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2009, 09:49:27 AM »

Sumen ist icumer in.

Oh, DR JMK.  I'll bet you say that to all the music history students.       :)

DAW

« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2009, 09:53:42 AM »

And I don't agree and/or like that definition of curmudgeon that MBarnum found - I am not surly, nor am I ill-tempered, and yet I am a curmudgeon. 

I am just the messanger of the dictionary definition, which is why I did not think that Charles Pogue or you fit that definition. However, maybe curmudgeon has taken on additional meanings.

Edisaurus

« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2009, 09:58:15 AM »

Well, DR DAW posted that tone generator thingy the other day, and now here's another "tone generator":

Audience Sounds

;)

*Some of the sounds are longer than others, so if you want them to stop, just push the button again.

The barfing one has come in very handy today. Thank you!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »

Audience Sounds

;)

LOL!  Or push all of them and keep pushing them!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2009, 10:22:11 AM »

{{{{{hugs}}}}} and ***VIBES OF ALL SORTS*** today to DR edisaurus!!!!!

DAW

« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2009, 10:22:32 AM »

Congratulations to DR George on his new arrival.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »

Audience Sounds

;)

The barfing one has come in very handy today. Thank you!

Perhaps you can make a trade with BK for the Blu-ray disc of "The Reader".

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2009, 10:26:47 AM »

Jose - sadly, that's approx. 80% [not a scientific number] of people I know, at least in the arts.  I think human nature is to want so much to get your own ideas out and heard, that you overlap and the other person feels you haven't heard what they said.  It's so rare for Person B to wait until Person A has come to a clear and full stop before adding to the conversation.

Fran Lebowitz wrote a great line:  "The opposite of talking isn't listening; the opposite of talking is waiting."

Such a funny writer. When I came to New York, I loved her collected writings. Then she came in several times to the Drama Book Shop, where she was a completely ugly, rude bitch. Whenever I see her mug on LAW & ORDER I want to spit and kick things. They should build a bridge over that troll.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »

Nice to be here, if only for a brief moment. Depending on what happens today, I could be spending *a lot* more time here...

I have missed you!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up