Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOLLYWOOD  (Read 33510 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: HOLLYWOOD
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »

FIVE!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2012, 07:19:23 PM »

I just caught up on the postings from after I went to bed last night. TCB, monkfish used to be called the poor man's lobster. Now it's two or three times more expensive than lobster. Wonderful stuff.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »

Well, I have 2 full days ahead of me at Middfest, so - 'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm up, I'm up... And...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2012, 07:31:04 PM »

I did end up getting up a little earlier than usual, and drove in a little earlier than usual, and ended up having time for breakfast at Eastern Market and a latte at Peregrine.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »

...And then once I biked back to Arena, it was time for rehearsal. It was a dance day. Lots of "Loverly" and lots and lots and lots of Embassy Waltz-ing.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »

And now I shall attempt to catch up before I pass out...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

ChasSmith

« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2012, 07:33:20 PM »

HOLLYWOOD -- BK had the best years there, no question.  In comparison to his, my 1970s were the beginning of the downhill slide.  But I thought it was the greatest place in the world.  I’d still give anything to have those 1970s back, so it’s interesting to start from what I remember, and try to imagine all the ways in which it would have been even better prior to that.

The intersection of Hollywood and Highland was BK’s arrival point, and I credit that intersection as being my own focal point and gateway to Hollywood when several of us in college drove out there from Ohio in the summer of 1971.  A few of us stayed in a motel on Sunset Blvd. east of Highland.  It might even have been east of Vine, and it’s bizarre that after all those years I never thought to go have a look back at it.  Somewhere I have a picture saved from Google Earth that shows what I believe to be the one.  Others in our group stayed in a Travelodge on Sunset that I think was between Highland and La Brea.  My chief memory of our motel was coming back one afternoon to find cops and ambulance there because some girl had drowned in the pool.  I remember the blanket-covered body lying there on the patio.  In spite of that little welcome to Hollywood, my best friend and I were so blown away by the place that we drove out the following June, 1972, no particular plans in mind but to enjoy it for a year or two.  (That turned into 17 years for me.  A job later took him to Northern California, where he married and raised a family and still lives in Santa Rosa.)  

We took a one-week rental in a cheap apartment on Orange Drive behind the Chinese Theater.  We’d both loved the Hamburger Hamlet, and he took a job as waiter there -- at store #10 in Hamlet lingo.  (More about the Hamlet later.)  I pounded the pavement looking at apartments, and finally chose the “Franklin Park Apartments” at the NW corner of Franklin and Whitley, even though we'd be splurging on it to the tune of $175 per month, more than we’d planned on spending.  But we loved that place -- two blocks up from the House of Pies and the Boulevard and, as far as we were concerned, the center of the world.  I took a job at a small publishing company on Beverly Blvd. near Rampart, a block from the original Tommy’s where an 8:00 a.m. chili cheeseburger before work was the greatest starter ever.

Back later with my own walk through Hollywood.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:35:11 PM by ChasSmith »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »

Back from about 3 hours at Middfest, where I turned in money and some unsold admission buttons and bought 5 tickets for the drawing for 2 roundtrip airfares and 4 nights in a Paris hotel.  Then I helped set up the Language and Literature Center, where I will spend the better part of Saturday and Sunday afternoons.  I've been working closely on this with the young woman who now holds the public services librarian position at our local Miami University campus that brought me to Middletown 39 years ago.

So, Ginny, have given any thought on who you might want to take to Paris?
Hey, I was going to ask that!

Too bad.  That will teach you to run off to those pagan feasts every night!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »

I just caught up on the postings from after I went to bed last night. TCB, monkfish used to be called the poor man's lobster. Now it's two or three times more expensive than lobster. Wonderful stuff.

More expensive!  Wow.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2012, 08:29:03 PM »

I love HHW everyday.  But it is days like this, with these walks down memory lane, that make this place so very special.  Thank you one and all.
“One thing’s universal,

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2012, 08:38:01 PM »

Poor Adela dog..many vibes for her!

Many vibes.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2012, 08:40:36 PM »

FJL

« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2012, 08:43:41 PM »

I love HHW everyday.  But it is days like this, with these walks down memory lane, that make this place so very special.  Thank you one and all.

In that case, here's another great 1980's disco song for you, TCB!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-2tGYkyMPU

to add to I LOVE THE NIGHTLIFE.. :)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »

HOLLYWOOD -- BK had the best years there, no question.  In comparison to his, my 1970s were the beginning of the downhill slide.  But I thought it was the greatest place in the world.  I’d still give anything to have those 1970s back, so it’s interesting to start from what I remember, and try to imagine all the ways in which it would have been even better prior to that.

The intersection of Hollywood and Highland was BK’s arrival point, and I credit that intersection as being my own focal point and gateway to Hollywood when several of us in college drove out there from Ohio in the summer of 1971.  A few of us stayed in a motel on Sunset Blvd. east of Highland.  It might even have been east of Vine, and it’s bizarre that after all those years I never thought to go have a look back at it.  Somewhere I have a picture saved from Google Earth that shows what I believe to be the one.  Others in our group stayed in a Travelodge on Sunset that I think was between Highland and La Brea.  My chief memory of our motel was coming back one afternoon to find cops and ambulance there because some girl had drowned in the pool.  I remember the blanket-covered body lying there on the patio.  In spite of that little welcome to Hollywood, my best friend and I were so blown away by the place that we drove out the following June, 1972, no particular plans in mind but to enjoy it for a year or two.  (That turned into 17 years for me.  A job later took him to Northern California, where he married and raised a family and still lives in Santa Rosa.)  

We took a one-week rental in a cheap apartment on Orange Drive behind the Chinese Theater.  We’d both loved the Hamburger Hamlet, and he took a job as waiter there -- at store #10 in Hamlet lingo.  (More about the Hamlet later.)  I pounded the pavement looking at apartments, and finally chose the “Franklin Park Apartments” at the NW corner of Franklin and Whitley, even though we'd be splurging on it to the tune of $175 per month, more than we’d planned on spending.  But we loved that place -- two blocks up from the House of Pies and the Boulevard and, as far as we were concerned, the center of the world.  I took a job at a small publishing company on Beverly Blvd. near Rampart, a block from the original Tommy’s where an 8:00 a.m. chili cheeseburger before work was the greatest starter ever.

Back later with my own walk through Hollywood.

I arrived in Hollywood at the end of 1963, and by the middle of the following year, I lived in an apartment at Franklin and Argyle. 

Hollywood was so nice back then.  Friday nights after work, I would stroll down Hollywood Blvd. from the Pantages Theater to Grauman's Chinese, then back again on the other side of the street.  It was a totally different time.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »

Of course, I could take my own walk down memory lane, not down through the Hills of Beverly, but rather in the hills of Laguna Niguel.  My nights of drinking with Maggie Raye at the infamous Little Shrimp.........  Oh wait, I think there are still copyright problems involved with those storie, so maybe not!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:15:57 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2012, 08:56:34 PM »

I am very much enjoying these walsk through memory lane -  kep them up !!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »

In that case, here's another great 1980's disco song for you, TCB!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-2tGYkyMPU

to add to I LOVE THE NIGHTLIFE.. :)

Thankfully, I have never heard that song before.  My disco memories run more to The Bee Gees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY&feature=list_other&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9AmFDJiLLBIyh8zljA4I50Q

“One thing’s universal,

ChasSmith

« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »

Very sorry, but I'll have to continue that post tomorrow or another time.  I have to help a friend who is in need of some real support.  The pet lovers here will understand how some serious lost-beloved-cat-finding vibes will be very welcome right about now.  Thanks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2012, 10:59:03 PM »

Saw LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in 4K at the local AMC last night.  

The first time I saw LAWRENCE OF ARABIA was on the big screen when Keith took me to the Fox Wilshire Theater on Beverly Drive. 

Don't think Lawrence ever played the Wilshire - unless it was second run, which the Wilshire didn't usually do.  It played its roadshow at the Stanley Warner Beverly Hills.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »

Back from a nice meal with David Wechter and then the James Bond film music event, about which more in the notes.  It was a very nice evening.

ChasSmith

« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2012, 11:27:10 PM »

Very sorry, but I'll have to continue that post tomorrow or another time.  I have to help a friend who is in need of some real support.  The pet lovers here will understand how some serious lost-beloved-cat-finding vibes will be very welcome right about now.  Thanks.

ALL IS WELL!!!  (Long story.)  Thank you thank you.  Hollywood Blvd. post to be continued tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up