Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG YAWN  (Read 26264 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE BIG YAWN
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2008, 01:56:03 PM »

So...

When I was getting read to head to the hospital earlier, my Dad called me.  He said he was walking to his car, but started feeling light-headed, so he headed back to my Mom's room.  He had the nurse take his blood pressure, it was running quite high.  So, he said he was going to stay put for a while, instead of coming home for the afternoon.

I got there about 45 minutes later.  He seemed OK.  And a former co-worker of my Mom's had also just paid a visit - with her three kids in tow!  She drove down from Fairfax for the afternoon to surprise my Mom.  Both my Mom and Dad appreciated the visit.  -And the teddy bear.  Well...

After we watched some TV - some painting program on PBS - my Dad got up again to walk around.  Well, he was still feeling light-headed.  So, he sat back down.  I then went back out to the nurse's station to ask if they could take his blood pressure again... Instead of still being spiked it had now dropped 50 points (both numbers).  Thankfully, the nurse was on my side, and "suggested" that I take him home so that he could take a proper nap.  Of course, at first my Dad wanted to drive his car back on his own - with me following behind him - but, thankfully, as we were turning around in the parking deck, he changed his mind and said, "Just keep driving."  Whew!  Good.

I know he hasn't been sleeping this past week, and I also know that he's probably getting tired out from sitting under the fluorescent lights in the hospital.  I also know that he's not "admitting" to the stress of the past week either.   -And then there's the "hospital air" deal too.  Some family friends just came over, and the wife is a nurse, so she's double checking his blood pressure and blood sugar.  *My mom called them from the hospital.  ;)

I called my brother, Don, to see if he was still coming down tonight, and it looks like he won't be able to come down until tomorrow morning.  Thankfully, I don't work Monday until 1:00pm, so I can still grab an early(!) train or bus that morning, and get back in time to play.  -And since I'm done at 6:00, I'll have plenty of time to rest that night.  There's a slim chance that if my brother does make it down tonight, I'll go ahead and head back late tonight, but I think I'm just gonna stay put for another evening.  There's been enough "unknowns" for me to deal with the past couple of days, and I don't need anymore.

*And, of course, as I was talking with my Dad, and he told me about some of the medications he's currently on, well...  Just a few more things for my physician to keep an eye out for.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2008, 01:56:03 PM »

I'm back!

Good - Have you pictures?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2008, 01:56:58 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2008, 01:57:08 PM »

And thank you for posting the Magnus & Fosca photo DR Jose.

And NOW back to sleep.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2008, 01:59:16 PM »

And thank you for posting the Magnus & Fosca photo DR Jose.

And NOW back to sleep.

You're welcome, Tom.  I hope you and Colin have a good first night's/day's sleep back in your own house.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2008, 02:03:06 PM »

maybe this will work
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2008, 02:03:47 PM »

maybe this will work

It did!

Cool!

*And you can upload up to four pictures per post.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2008, 02:04:35 PM »

LATERS!
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2008, 02:04:50 PM »

I'm back!

And about time, too! You've been missed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2008, 02:07:24 PM »

I'm off to see my cousin and her sometimes hyperactive seven-year-old daughter.  They saw my parents this morning after their bus from Scranton got in and my father says the young girl was on very good behavior, much less hyper than the last time they visited NYC. 

Tomovoz

« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »

(And I will be awake enough to resize pics).

I will not be reading back over nearly six weeks of posts etc.

but  CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to the newest Slaughter on the Avenue.

Happy Birthday to all those who have had them during my absence (Including Dan in Toronto).

Emails have provided me with some news.

James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2008, 02:10:08 PM »

Welcome back, Tomovoz. 

And you're a stone's throw (or is it stone's crow) from 15000 posts.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2008, 02:10:31 PM »

I'm off to see my cousin and her sometimes hyperactive seven-year-old daughter.  They saw my parents this morning after their bus from Scranton got in and my father says the young girl was on very good behavior, much less hyper than the last time they visited NYC. 

...All it takes is a little bit of red wine in the milk or punch.  -That's what the French do.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2008, 02:12:23 PM »

Well stone the flamin' crows. (I think that is an old OZ expression and I'm feeling old ozzish)

Thank you DR FJL.

And now I am really going!
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2008, 02:17:59 PM »

Welcome back Tom!  I hope you and Collin had a wonderful trip.  Give him a hug from me, and take one for yourself as well!  We look forward to hearing all the details as soon as you've rested up.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2008, 02:21:38 PM »

I'm back from killing time.  Time deserved to be killed, frankly.  I did do the long jog this morning, but I wasn't ready to do it, and it now feels like I've destroyed every muscle in my back and legs.  I'm so sick of feeling yucky and this flu or whatever it is just sticks - you start to feel better, then you feel worse, then you feel better, then worse.

bk - STOP RUNNING!  Well, at least take one day off.  You're exhibiting the classic signs of exhaustion. Your body obviously needs to take a day off.  And with all the other stuff you're dealing with, I'm sure that "stress" has also been taking its toll on your body (more than you would like to admit and/or be aware of).

I know I'm - well, we - are probably just talking to a brick wall at this point, but, please... You have some crazy-busy weeks coming up.  Rest.  Get better.  Rest.

What he said

SEE!  A second opinion already!  And she's a mother!  Of a newborn!

;D

At least a newborn has the good sense to stop being active and REST when he's not feeling well  :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »

At least a newborn has the good sense to stop being active and REST when he's not feeling well  :D

:)

So, bk should pretend he's a baby.  A great, big baby.   ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2008, 02:29:54 PM »

Is LADIES OF THE  STREET the same as STREETS OF SHAME? If so it is a wonderful film! I haven't seen it in about 20 years, but back in the 1980s I rented the video many times.

No, STREET OF SHAME is the last disc in the box that I'm going to watch tonight. The actual title was LADIES OF THE NIGHT.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #168 on: October 18, 2008, 02:30:05 PM »

I joined in July and without making a concerted effort, have lost 17 lbs aas of today. Of course, I need to lose so much that I don't even feel like I've lost anything, but it has definitely changed my way of eating by making me more aware of which foods have a high point value and I'm now trying to make healthier choices. I use the online tools to keep track of points and it's very easy. I even lost when I went to NY, despite the mozzarepa, the macarons and Nobu!

Consider some options:

USING SEX FOR WEIGHT LOSS

Feed your libido and lose weight? Sounds like a too-good-to-be-true diet, until you really think about it.

Shagging can make you slimmer, if you do enough of it. It can also help the two of you fall for each other all over again. Requiring no monthly fee — dress code optional – you can "sexercise" yourself into shape. This is one gym membership you’ll never want to drop.

Combining sex and fitness is like killing two birds with one stone. Sex gets you fit. And being fit makes you want to have more sex.

Lots more to read :)

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ben

« Reply #169 on: October 18, 2008, 02:36:15 PM »

Mr. Oz it's good to have you back  :D.

Thanks for the picture of Mont St. Michel. It brings back wonderful memories.

Matt H.

« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2008, 02:39:53 PM »

Yes, I should have included BONES. It is one of my favorites, but I guess since it's been off for the last week or so due to baseball, it's easy to forget.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2008, 02:43:25 PM »

I watched SMALLVILLE. Pretty good episode though, of course, that reliance on kryptonite gets old.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »

Then I watched LADIES OF THE NIGHT. VERY melodramatic; those streetwalkers were VICIOUS!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »

OMG!   You saw Kevin Bacon in the flesh (so to speak)?

I think I may have mentioned this before, but...

There were a series of TV movies and "regular" movies that were being filmed in Richmond over the period of about a year and a half.  It turned out that either Kyra or Kevin was working on one of them, and usually back to back.  So, both Kevin and Kyra became regulars at the two restaurants down the street from my apartment.  Kevin would also sometimes break out his guitar and play an impromptu set, and if his brothers happened to be traveling through, then the "Bacon Brothers" would make an appearance too.  And Mr. Bacon like his hamburgers too!

Mmmmmmm, a Bacon burger!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2008, 03:00:41 PM »

I joined in July and without making a concerted effort, have lost 17 lbs aas of today. Of course, I need to lose so much that I don't even feel like I've lost anything, but it has definitely changed my way of eating by making me more aware of which foods have a high point value and I'm now trying to make healthier choices. I use the online tools to keep track of points and it's very easy. I even lost when I went to NY, despite the mozzarepa, the macarons and Nobu!

Consider some options:

USING SEX FOR WEIGHT LOSS

Feed your libido and lose weight? Sounds like a too-good-to-be-true diet, until you really think about it.

Shagging can make you slimmer, if you do enough of it. It can also help the two of you fall for each other all over again. Requiring no monthly fee — dress code optional – you can "sexercise" yourself into shape. This is one gym membership you’ll never want to drop.

Combining sex and fitness is like killing two birds with one stone. Sex gets you fit. And being fit makes you want to have more sex.

Lots more to read :)

der Brucer

Hmm, does it still work if you live alone?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2008, 03:05:43 PM »

Bruce, good-TAKE TOMORROW OFF!!!  The following day, if you are feeling better, go for a nice long walk instead of jogging.  You need more than one day of feeling better before returning to your regular activities. 

And, remember, DR elmore has now lost 24+ pounds. And in just a matter of a few weeks.  No jogging involved. A three mile walk is a good rough equivalent to a one mile run.  And if you power walk, it could actually be the same as a good run.

*And when was the last time you changed your shoes?  Have you checked the wear patterns on your soles lately?  Worn out shoes can cause major back problems.  -Trust me on that one - I know from experience.

True, but DR elmore is also eating small portions throughout the day.

So true about shoes that don't support properly, for jogging or walking.

Jane

« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2008, 03:06:51 PM »

Bruce, good-TAKE TOMORROW OFF!!!  The following day, if you are feeling better, go for a nice long walk instead of jogging.  You need more than one day of feeling better before returning to your regular activities. 

And, remember, DR elmore has now lost 24+ pounds. And in just a matter of a few weeks.  No jogging involved. A three mile walk is a good rough equivalent to a one mile run.  And if you power walk, it could actually be the same as a good run.

*And when was the last time you changed your shoes?  Have you checked the wear patterns on your soles lately?  Worn out shoes can cause major back problems.  -Trust me on that one - I know from experience.
Bruce, good-TAKE TOMORROW OFF!!! 

Thank you - he needs the firm voice of a Jewish Mother!

der Brucer

;D  And just like a typical "good" Jewish boy he doesn't listen.

Matt H.

« Reply #177 on: October 18, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »

Guess I'll head down to watch some work and play DVDs fopr the evening.

WBBL.

Jane

« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2008, 03:10:25 PM »

I'm back from killing time.  Time deserved to be killed, frankly.  I did do the long jog this morning, but I wasn't ready to do it, and it now feels like I've destroyed every muscle in my back and legs.  I'm so sick of feeling yucky and this flu or whatever it is just sticks - you start to feel better, then you feel worse, then you feel better, then worse.

bk - STOP RUNNING!  Well, at least take one day off.  You're exhibiting the classic signs of exhaustion. Your body obviously needs to take a day off.  And with all the other stuff you're dealing with, I'm sure that "stress" has also been taking its toll on your body (more than you would like to admit and/or be aware of).

I know I'm - well, we - are probably just talking to a brick wall at this point, but, please... You have some crazy-busy weeks coming up.  Rest.  Get better.  Rest.

What he said

SEE!  A second opinion already!  And she's a mother!  Of a newborn!

;D

;D ;D ;D DR Ann

Jane

« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2008, 03:12:56 PM »

DR Jose, I hope your brother makes it there soon, I know it will be a comfort to you.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up