Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: NO ONE MOURNS THE WICKED  (Read 37960 times)

FJL

Re:NO ONE MOURNS THE WICKED
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2007, 01:56:57 PM »

And one for Metatarsil

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »

Jane, what did your podiatrist do that was so painful?
Aside from handing you the bill?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2007, 01:58:26 PM »

Spoo, that should be metatarsal.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2007, 02:03:14 PM »

...Her first day back, should she choose to return "on" that date, will see us going out to lunch at a fancy schmancy restauarant at Jack London Square (Kinkaid's) to fete our two departing co-workers, followed at 3 p.m. with a cake/coffee farewell for the agency to say goodbye to them.
A fancy schmancy CHAIN restaurant, it should be noted.

::)

(Actually, their lunch menu doesn't look all that terrible.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #184 on: October 26, 2007, 02:03:57 PM »

I never metatarsal I didn't like.

;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2007, 02:04:21 PM »

It's quite pricey....for a lunch spot in Oakland CA...but why "it should be noted" that it's a "chain" restaurant is quite beyond my understanding.

It's a restaurant.  No reason to qualify it as part of a "chain"...unless one's intent is to be dismissive, which the rolling eyes indicates that it was.

But to what end?  

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 03:22:15 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

François

« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2007, 02:13:53 PM »

It's quite pricey....for a lunch spot in Oakland CA...but why "it should be noted" that it's a "chain" restaurant is quite beyond my understanding.

It's a restaurant.  No reason to qualify it as part of a "chain"...unless one's intent is to be dismissive, which the rolling eyes indicates that it was.

But to what end?  

Because CHAIN restaurants are... METALtarsal! ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2007, 02:15:17 PM »

I am Meadowlark-less.  Michelle Nicastro was doing it, but she's just not comfortable with it and wants to do Part Of your World, which she knows very well.  I said that was okay and I went to Ripley to see if she'd do it in addition to her other song, but she doesn't want to do two.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2007, 02:15:48 PM »

I guess I'll head down now and get busy on mopping the kitchen floor before heading back to the den to continue with the evening's viewing.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2007, 02:17:21 PM »

By and large, restaurants that are part of a chain have a lesser degree of involvement on the part of the kitchen staff in their product.  The ingredients are less likely to be fresh and local, compared to a stand-alone restaurant, and more likely to be shipped in from a central repository.  And, all too frequently, part of the prep on the food being served has taken place at said central repository.

On a similar level, the waitstaff is more likely to be given orders by a guide book, led by a martinet more interested in making his/her way up the corporate ladder than in giving the diners a memorable experience.  The waitstaff will be discouraged from having a good working relationship with the kitchen staff, resulting in less personalized service.

Dismissive of chain restaurants?  Hey, there can be exceptions, but generally you've got it right on the nose.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2007, 02:20:31 PM »

Jane, what did your podiatrist do that was so painful?

lol-i didn't mean to worry you.

it wasn't that bad really.  he only pressed all around until i flinched a little in pain.  he kindly only used as much pressure as needed.  he also tested the flexibility of my foot and ankle.  there were multiple area that hurt and it is all bothering me more now.

since your foot seems more sensitive than mine to begin with, who knows how u will feel after.  i guess it depends on what your doctor needs to do to diagnose the problem.  the orthopedist didn't bother my wrist at all. :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2007, 02:21:06 PM »

I am Meadowlark-less.
Sorry to hear this.  I've never liked the song that much, myself, but it's one of Schwartz's most popular.  And it really does need to be played straight - Dame Edna would be so wrong for an interpretation.

Jane

« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2007, 02:21:40 PM »

lol edi, only i'm singing right foot.

Jane

« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »

the menu looks good.  homemade chips and sweet potato fries, i'm set.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2007, 02:26:12 PM »

Kincaid's at Jack London Square is a superb restaurant, chain member or not.  It has exceptional food and quality service.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #195 on: October 26, 2007, 02:28:15 PM »

Sorry to hear this.  I've never liked the song that much, myself, but it's one of Schwartz's most popular.  And it really does need to be played straight - Dame Edna would be so wrong for an interpretation.

me too.  i like the song very much.  

MBarnum

« Reply #196 on: October 26, 2007, 02:34:20 PM »

DR MBarnum - did you pick up the dvd set of ROUTE 66 yet?

I was debating on getting that....since I have several other season sets (Flipper, Family Affair, Loretta Young Show, Gilligan's Island, etc) which I have not even gotten to yet, or just barely dipped into.

But I would like me some Marty Milner and George Maharis action!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 02:34:46 PM by MBarnum »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2007, 02:35:14 PM »

Dismissive of chain restaurants?  Hey, there can be exceptions, but generally you've got it right on the nose.

But your purpose, S. Woody....was it to belittle me for mentioning it as a nice place?  Or did you do it simply simply to be a shit?

FJL

« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2007, 02:39:04 PM »

Has "Meadowlark" ever been sung other than as a solo?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #199 on: October 26, 2007, 02:39:15 PM »

"Fancy" is descriptive.  "Schmancy" is dismissive.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #200 on: October 26, 2007, 02:47:32 PM »

And then, too, S. Woody, some of us (i.e. "me") must face the truth and eat crow -- inevitably -- for not realizing I was using a dismissive term to describe the place.

(I do think, however, they are overpriced for what they are, but they put on a good show and set a nice table.)

Re-reading it all again, I overreacted, and realize you were agreeing with me.

I apologize for doing so, and for being so aggressively abrasive.  And I ask your forgiveness for same.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 02:50:28 PM by Ron Pulliam »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #201 on: October 26, 2007, 02:49:33 PM »

I just went to my room for a moment, and found one of my old shoes (with a hole in the sole) sitting in the middle of the floor, several feet away from where I had left it.  The insole was on my bed.

I checked with Fletcher, who didn't particularly look guilty.  Then I gave him the shoe, which he took happily.

Amazing, how he's always left my good shoes alone, while enjoying a good chew on the old ones.  It's like he knows which he can have and which he can't.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #202 on: October 26, 2007, 02:50:17 PM »

Not a problem, Ron.

Jane

« Reply #203 on: October 26, 2007, 02:56:15 PM »

I checked with Fletcher, who didn't particularly look guilty.  Then I gave him the shoe, which he took happily.

why would he look guilty when you let him have old shoes  ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #204 on: October 26, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »

Not a problem, Ron.

This 'shit' appreciates that, S. Woody!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #205 on: October 26, 2007, 03:12:39 PM »

I love the song. :) I have about 15 different versions...and Betty Buckley's four different versions are not only very different than the "traditional" way that it's sung, but they are all very different from each other.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2007, 03:13:38 PM »

But I would like me some Marty Milner and George Maharis action!

That's what my date said last night. :o

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #207 on: October 26, 2007, 03:15:45 PM »

lol edi, only i'm singing right foot.

Oooopps! Sorry, wrong foot!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #208 on: October 26, 2007, 03:21:09 PM »

DR Jane:  You could be an extra on "E.R." or "Grey's Anatomy".

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2007, 03:22:56 PM »

That's what my date said last night. :o

;)

Was that the Canadian priest?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up