Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BUNNY HOP  (Read 75916 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE BUNNY HOP
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2005, 11:24:58 AM »

I'm trying to figure out what my Sunday shall consist of.  I like to know whay my Sunday shall consist of and yet I do not know what my Sunday shall consist of.  

Last night I dreamed I was in Manderley.

In my dream, well, it was a fascinating dream which took place at a record label I used to work for (not the one that shall not be mentioned).  I know why I dreamed it, too, so that's always fun.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2005, 11:26:13 AM »

Page four, how exciting.

Danise

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2005, 11:28:24 AM »

Don't you wish there was a such thing as dream recorder?  I think it would be neat to be able to replay what I dream at night.  Well, maybe not all the time but it would be nice to have the chance if I wanted to.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2005, 11:29:14 AM »

I haven't been in a serious accident, luckily.  The worst was something that happened a few years ago at a four-way stop, and it was my fault.  It was about 8:30 in the morning, I was making a left turn, and the sun was directly in my face.  I decided the way was clear, and went...it wasn't...there was a lady going across, and I banged into her back right side.  No one was hurt, but boy was I traumatized...I thought my parents were going to kill me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2005, 11:39:49 AM »

Bad, bad traffic accidents certainly show us how tenuous our lives are. We can be fine and dandy and one second later be gone.

I have been in one horrific wreck in my life, and it was my fault. I was stopped on an interstate waiting to make a left turn onto a side road. Traffic was coming so I was stopped. I looked and looked and saw no cars, so I turned the wheel, put on the gas, and ran slam bang into the driver's side of a car that had come over a hill going at least 100 MPH. If I hadn't just come from a dead stop and thus not going more than 5 MPH, we surely would have been killed. I was a junior in college, so all of this was a long, long time ago.

When I was a junior in college, I don't beleive cars went any faster than 5 MPH.

You will forgive me if I refrain from discussing auto accidents. Today is the anniversary of the day my mother and her friend were killed in an automobile accident, when the car they were in was struck by a car driven by one of two young men drag racing down a main city street at two o'clock on a Sunday afternoon.  

Your whole world can indeed change in an instant.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2005, 11:41:52 AM »

DR TCB, I'm so sorry to hear that.  Of all days for the subject to come up.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2005, 12:01:22 PM »

Well, we can put that topic away and have more topics, but you dear readers are supposed to be coming up with them.

I, of course, like the late-night food topic.  I'm thinking about driving in my motor car to Glendale to visit Bookfellows.  I've been told there is a fantastic place across the street called Porto's where they have extraordinary pulled pork sandwiches.  

Danise

« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2005, 12:07:08 PM »

Humm, I  don't usually stay up that late so late night food is a rare thing for me.  

PULLED pork?  Is there a such thing as PUSHED pork?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2005, 12:07:15 PM »

Ron, was it Shonee's or Shoney's?  I'm assuming it was the Big boy franchise in the South...which brings up an interesting question how many different names were the Big Boy restaurants known under?  Through much of the South, it was Shoney's Big Boy,  I believe.  In Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati where I grew up it was known as Frisch's Big Boy.   Out here in California, it's known as Bob's Big Boy.   Any others...?

Charles Pogue

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2005, 12:08:29 PM »

BK, I was at Bookfellows' Friday.  It seems every time I go they've got another sub-genre and another bookcase.  They need to expand.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »

No, please, don't put away the topic because of me.  I was just commenting on why I wasn't going to reply to that topic.  I didn't mean that everyone had to stop discussing accidents.  The Pogues certainly didn't choose to have an accident last night.  I am the one who should apologize for putting a damper on things.  Sorry about that!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2005, 12:19:59 PM »

Good morning all.

Just dropped in to wish you all a great day.

I'ts 7.20am Monday here.  I've been at work since 6.30am.  (Oh! The Injustice!)

Here's a suggested topic ...

*** If you could take ANY book you have ever read and have it turned into a musical, which book would it be ......?

Mine would be Simon Callow's "Love is Where It Falls" ... the friendship he had with his agent was full of love, pathos, humour and drama.  Every time I read this I am moved, moved, moved!

"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

Danise

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2005, 12:21:45 PM »

Did anyone watch the new Battlestar?  I watched the first half  but went to bed about fifth teen minutes into the second hour.  

I'm watching the repeat of the mini series now and they will repeat the show I missed as well.  Maybe I will like it better on second viewing.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2005, 12:24:42 PM »

I've always thought The Ghost and Mrs. Muir would make a good play/musical.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

ozderek

« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2005, 12:26:34 PM »

i used to love watching the tv series when i was young (sooooo long ago!!!)  ;D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2005, 12:28:57 PM »

Here's a topic some of you may find interesting (then again, maybe not).  What interesting people (aside from those here at HHW) have you met through the internet, and how did you meet them?

On eBay I have either won from or sold to Kristoffer Tabori and Dale Launer (who knows the Pogues, I believe).

From my Frances Farmer article I have gotten to know a number of interesting people of renown, including Leonard Maltin, Emmy-winning makeup guy Mark Shostrom,  Peabody award winning documentarian David Isay, Washington Post writer and Walter Freeman biographer Jack El-Hai and mystery writer John Bloch.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 12:34:01 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Charles Pogue

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2005, 12:29:42 PM »

Ozderek, I have an autographed copy of Love Is Where It Falls...as you say lovely book about an unusual love story...

Danise

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2005, 12:29:59 PM »

I have a few memories of the TV show.  Wasn't Charles Nelson Reily (spelling?) on the show?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2005, 12:30:19 PM »

It's been optioned and workshopped at least once.  I can't recall right now who did it (no one outstandingly famous, if I'm remembering correctly, which I probably am not), but perhaps BK knows.  Yes, BK knows all, except about Small Circle of Friends and King of Queens.  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 12:31:40 PM by JMK »

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2005, 12:35:38 PM »

I have a few memories of the TV show.  Wasn't Charles Nelson Reily (spelling?) on the show?

Charles Nelson Reilly.  Yes, and I believe he won an Emmy for it.  It also had a delicious theme, IIRC, kind of a Charles Fox-ish harpsichord number.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2005, 12:35:43 PM »

TCB I’m not surprised the playwright was pleased with your performance and also happy he could be there again last night.  Congratulations on another successful night.

ozderek

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2005, 12:43:18 PM »

Ozderek, I have an autographed copy of Love Is Where It Falls...as you say lovely book about an unusual love story...

absolutely.  there is so much love throughout the book ... an honest account of friendships and romances ... highly recommended reading for everybody.

(as for the autographed copy .. i am green with envy ... !)

Danise

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2005, 12:47:39 PM »

So what is the book about?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2005, 12:48:56 PM »

Regarding late night restaurants- When I lived in Santa Monica, Zucky's Deli was the place to go. It was a Jewish deli/coffee shop, busy even at 4a.m. Rodney Dangerfield was a regular customer, and I remember how he would excoriate the waitress if his corned beef wasn't lean enough.
And, bk, Roy's was the first restaurant I visited when I moved to Los Angeles. I LOVED that playing card/menu concept. Was the restaurant on the site of the former estate of John Barrymore? Great food, captivating crowd.

Jane

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2005, 12:55:02 PM »

You know the internet has reached the height of ridiculousness when husband and lovely wife are in separate rooms under the same roof, posting on the same damned site.

;D

Jane

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2005, 12:56:05 PM »

Charles Pogue & La Jolie Femme I know how scary an accident like that is and am very happy you are somewhat okay.  Gentle massages and whirlpool baths help with related aches and pains.  Don’t be surprised if you are a bit “jumpy” for awhile.  You might even find yourself hitting imaginary brakes when you are a passenger.

Bruce I remember when you were in that that accident.   It was amazing you weren’t hurt more.  Shows the value of seat belts.

SWW when we lived in Michigan I found I could not stop at a yellow (and often red) light without checking my rear view mirror since the cars more often than not continued through the light.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2005, 12:57:39 PM »

I've been thinking about the numerous car accidents I was in between 1962 and 1979, when I moved to New York and gave up automobiles.  Every accident but one was because I'm a pathetic drver and they're all too embarassing to dredge up.  

On a happier note, I heard today one of the loveliest Christmas songs ever on a really bad album.  The song is a Swedish song, I believe, "Koppangen" by Pereric Moraeus, sung twice on the album, once in Swedish and  once in a nice English translation.  The singer, whom I generally admire, is Anne Sofie von Otter, but her concept of singing American pop music, which she also pulls on her Kurt Weill album, is to croon under pitch with sloppy diction, as if all pop singers don't enunciate! or sing well!  She should be forced after a well-sung opera night to listen to Guy Haines, Doris Day, and others with a special way with the words and a tune!  Just pisses me off.

On the plus side, her two versions of "Kopangen," accompanied by guitar and accordion, are totally stunning.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2005, 12:59:31 PM »

DRJane, did you get the results of my sleuthing today?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2005, 01:16:31 PM »

Danise, Callow's book is about himself, a homosexual actor, and one of Britain's most famous literary agents, Peggy Ramsay (she handle most of the towering playwrights of the day), a much older woman, and their rather passionate, albeit unconsummated, platonic love affair until her death.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2005, 01:28:20 PM »

Frisch's Big Boy....my favorite sandwich was The Brawny Lad.....mmmmmmmm.  Now I want one.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up