Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: FLATBUSH  (Read 33861 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: FLATBUSH
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2009, 12:29:38 PM »

Does anybody have any news on the OZ situation?  I forgot to "favorite" that link Tom gave us to the fire sites
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »

PAGE SEVEN

Cillaliz

« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2009, 12:31:58 PM »

Thanks Ginny.  I'm a little sleepy right now. I set 3 alarms in the room last night so I would be sure and get up at 6:00 AM to have more than enough time to get ready.   I'm ready for a nap.   We should be boarding in about 15 minutes, so I'll be home with the kitties soon enough.

vixmom

« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2009, 12:36:39 PM »

TRAVEL VIBES FOR CILLA

vixmom

« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2009, 12:36:53 PM »

Welcome Home Jose!

vixmom

« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2009, 12:37:25 PM »

~~CONTINUED PRAYERS AND VIBES FOR TOM AND COLIN~~~~~~~~~~~~

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2009, 12:39:09 PM »

DR JRand58, did you ever get your DVDs of "Man of La Mancha" from various places? The vendor is having a good one-day sale at the moment.

DR Ginny, find me any music?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2009, 12:43:47 PM »

Good morning!

Another beautiful day with temps near 70. I hope to have the doors and windows open for fresh air a little later. I have had the heat off for 24 hours to no ill effect! And it's FEBRUARY!

It's snowing in Olympia! 

Just had to share. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2009, 12:51:49 PM »

I am leaving shortly to go to the eye doctor for a routine check-up.  Since I will not be here at the appropriate time, I send

***EXCELLENT VIBES & XYLOPHONES***
for bk's important afternoon meeting!!!!

Ginny

« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »

Hi Ginny - i must have missed something. What books are you sorting and pricing?

DR Vixmom - the Middletown Branch of the American Association of University Women has been raising scholarship money with a used book sale for over 40 years.  This year's sale is March 19-22, and we're sorting and pricing on Tuesday and Saturday mornings until then.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2009, 12:54:28 PM »

DR Ginny, find me any music?

Sorry, DR Elmore, I didn't see any sheet music at all.  Can you be more specific about what you're looking for?  When the Friends of Dayton Metro Library have their sale at the end of April they may have a better selection.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2009, 12:57:25 PM »

Hi Ginny - i must have missed something. What books are you sorting and pricing?

DR Vixmom - the Middletown Branch of the American Association of University Women has been raising scholarship money with a used book sale for over 40 years.  This year's sale is March 19-22, and we're sorting and pricing on Tuesday and Saturday mornings until then.

OOOH!!! Do you get first crack at the "good ones"?

vixmom

« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »

I have been looking for an out of print children's book for AGES - it was my Mom's when she was little . I loved it and it got lost somewhere along the line

It's a "Chapter book" as they say and it was called something like Tommy and the Golden Way or the Way of Gold.  It's about a boy and his imaginary land he "discovers" in his Dad's work shop - must be from the 30's or early 40's at the latest

I have been looking for it online and in used book shops for years with no success

If you see it - grab it for me please!

George

« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2009, 01:04:35 PM »

I wasn't sure whether to brave posting this link to a video just finalized last night, but the coincidence of the notes being about Flatbush and Brooklyn made me say what-the-heck. 

It's a video (including photo montage) of my song "Brooklyn Boy" whence came the moniker BklynBoy, a simple piano demo that I sang here in the apartment - and the last part winds up in Flatbush.  It's sung by a highly opinionated character in the show it was written for, so opinions about other places in New York reflect the character's biases, not mine.  :)

It's not a parody, though, but I hope it brings a smile - we've put a couple of other non-parody songs of mine up over the past few days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiQRDVKvf5Q

(Thanks as always to Jose's roommate Jim for making the video/photo components come together.)

This was great!  And the singer's not bad, too. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »

Witches can be right, Giants can be good.
You decide what's right; you decide what's good
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2009, 01:09:37 PM »

Back from lunch....meatball soup, chicken parmesan (with mozzarella rather than parmesan!!!).

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2009, 01:10:40 PM »

BALZAC!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2009, 01:11:37 PM »

I went to bed last night only one-half hour into "Chuck"!   

I was pooped.

The DVR caught the rest of the TV lineup.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2009, 01:13:03 PM »

DR MattH, don't even bother with AS THE WORLD TURNS, whose logic and poor writing leave me in awe; they're all tied up in the kidnapped baby plot. Never have the cities of New York and Chicago been so conveniently located: people turn up in the blink of an eye in either city, and on today's episode there are four principals, one of them the mother of a kidnapped child, in Central Park dealing with baby kidnappers and a plot to sell her kidnapped child. WHERE THE HELL ARE THE POLICE OR THE FBI???? Is the soap too cheap to hire extra actors? And why does Central Park, with no traffic and no crowds, look like it's somewhere in Yosemite instad of Manhattan? Does no one at CBS care about the idiocy of any of this?

It isn't as moronic as the plots on PASSIONS, the queerest soap ever written by a demented queen and way too full of his psychosexual hangups, but I don't know why soap writing is generaly so inept.

The good news is I just got a check today, so I'm off to the bank.

Oh, I WISH I had read this before wasting even five minutes skimming through that show on the DVR. It looked as stupid as DR Elmore's description. And nothing in the previews either.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »

I forgot I have to go to the Met tonight: ADRIANA LECOUVREUR; i hope I like it. I was committed to this performance and I had to turn down free tickets to BILLY ELLIOT. Curses.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »

I began my viewing by watching last night's THE CLOSER while I ate lunch.

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of this slick monster. THE CLOSER has a way of circling stories back to favorite antagonists over the course of seasons.

George

« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2009, 01:15:52 PM »

Well that was fun!  For those of you who aren't familiar with the judicial heirarchy, the Circuit Courts of Appeals are one step below the United States Supreme Court. So if you appeal from here you could go to the Supremes.  That'won't happen in this case as it's not the sort of issue that the Supreme Court would agree to hear

BUT, I forget the pomp and circumstance and what a privilege it is to argue before the Circuit.  I'm in the 8th because they cover the middle of the country (essentially).    I went to their conference in Chicago last August, so even though I've been here before, this time it was a lot more comfortable.  I didn't have the nerves and just enjoyed the moment. There were lots of questions from the three judges on our panel and I love the back and forth with them.  They even offered me extra time!  I didn't have much to add, but hey, you can't pass that up. 

Congrats and good luck, Cilla!! ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »

Giants can be good.

And they still go ahead and kill her in the worst show Sondheim ever worked on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »

Giants can be good.

Oh, I forgot about PASSION, the other worst show.

John Doyle's demolitions could only improve them.

Ginny

« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »

DR Vixmom - Apparently there's a special crew (moms with kids) who work on the kids' books on Saturdays.  I'll email one of them with your request.

George

« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2009, 01:18:26 PM »

Heading down now to check the mail and then start on lunch preparation.

I did NOT get any mail yesterday - either USPS or UPS review copy shipments. I was NOT a happy camper.

WBBL.

I received three, count 'em THREE packages at work today!  One held the reissue of BK's The Anastasia Affaire, now called Anastasia: The Musical (plus premier recordings of Wright and Forrest songs from At The Grand/Betting On Bertie/Grand Hotel/Kean) in preparation for the Kritzerland release of the original Anya. :)

The second package contained the new complete recording of Allegro and the songbook to the musical revue, It's Only Life.  My absolute favorite song from this revue is "Playbill."  Patti LuPone recorded it on her CD, "Matters of the Heart."

Matt H.

« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »

I watched HOBSON'S CHOICE afterward. Despite DR JRand's dislike of it, it's always been a delightful film to me. I love Charles Laughton's over-the-top performance amid the regular playing of everyone else, and the story, a view of the feminist movement decades before it happened, is both funny and poignant. And Lean's direction is superlative. His "small films" have always had enormous appeal to me, and this one, his next to last small project before he began his massive epics with KWAI, is a near perfect rendering of a stage warhorse.

Matt H.

« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »

Heading down now to check the mail and then start on lunch preparation.

I did NOT get any mail yesterday - either USPS or UPS review copy shipments. I was NOT a happy camper.

WBBL.

I received three, count 'em THREE packages at work today!  One held the reissue of BK's The Anastasia Affaire, now called Anastasia: The Musical (plus premier recordings of Wright and Forrest songs from At The Grand/Betting On Bertie/Grand Hotel/Kean) in preparation for the Kritzerland release of the original Anya. :)

The second package contained the new complete recording of Allegro and the songbook to the musical revue, It's Only Life.  My absolute favorite song from this revue is "Playbill."  Patti LuPone recorded it on her CD, "Matters of the Heart."

I did get some minor pieces of mail but no review copies of anything (which is fine since I still have a very sizable stack already).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #208 on: February 10, 2009, 01:21:07 PM »

Giants can be good.

Still all full of giggledrops and sunshine I see!

Matt H.

« Reply #209 on: February 10, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »

Next I listened to the audio commentary. It's a team, the guys who wrote the book on Lean's films, and their dialog is part analysis (not always astute) and part factual (some errors there like saying Brenda de Banzie won a Tony for THE ENTERTAINER; she didn't. Anne Bancroft took it that year in TWO FOR THE SEESAW.)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up