Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: FLATBUSH  (Read 33860 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: FLATBUSH
« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2009, 04:26:34 PM »

The Australia one-day squad will take a detour on its way from Adelaide to Brisbane with the players set to visit bushfire victims in Victoria. Tuesday's match against New Zealand was turned into a telethon of sorts as the Commonwealth Bank bushfire appeal raised more than $6 million for those affected by the fires.

That is a lot of money raised in such a short amount of time. :)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #271 on: February 10, 2009, 04:27:42 PM »

I dont know if it has been posted but some soap boards and msn have reproted that Phil Carey has passed away.

* Report this post

Re: OLTL: Just read that Phil Carey (Asa) passed away

Postby Paula SNS on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:39 am
Press Release from ABC on Death of Phil Carey

Phil Carey, best known for the role of Asa Buchanan on ABC Daytime's ONE LIFE TO LIVE, passed away at his home in New York City on Friday, February 6, following a courageous battle with lung cancer. He is survived by his beloved wife, Colleen, and their two children, Shannon and Sean, and his three children Lisa, Linda and Jeff from a previous marriage.

Mr. Carey originated the role of ONE LIFE TO LIVE's formidable business tycoon, Asa Buchanan, in 1980. He was born Eugene Joseph Carey on July 15, 1925 in Hackensack, NJ and raised in the suburban Long Island towns of Rosedale and Malverne. Diagnosed with lung cancer in 2006, he took medical leave from the show to undergo treatment, but returned to the role later that year.

On ONE LIFE TO LIVE, the character of Asa Buchanan died in his sleep on August 16, 2007. The life of Buchanan family patriarch was celebrated on the show's 10,000th episode on August 17, 2007. Mr. Carey made three subsequent appearances on the show, and was last seen when Asa read an addendum to his will on December 29, 2008.

"He was like 'Pa' to me," said his on-screen son Robert S. Woods (Bo Buchanan). "My own father passed away in 1975, and I met Philly in 1979. For those 30 years he has been like a father to me. I don't know if I could love him more if he was my dad."

"In a week where we said goodbye to Clint Ritchie (ex-Clint Buchanan), the overwhelming news of Phil Carey's death was truly a profound loss to the ONE LIFE TO LIVE family," said Executive Producer Frank Valentini. "His presence will always be a part of ONE LIFE TO LIVE. The best way to describe Phil was bigger than life. Like Asa, he possessed an undeniable quality that drew you to him, whether he was amusing you with a story or he was just plain ornery. We can only imagine that he and Clint Ritchie are sitting back and having a drink together. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, Colleen, and his five children."

"I was incredibly fond of Phil Carey," said ONE LIFE TO LIVE cast member Erika Slezak. "I loved that man very much. He was larger than life, like his character of Asa. He was a central figure on the show and to everyone at 'One Life to Live.' When Phil was in the building, you knew it. He will be sorely missed. I was so honored to have the privilege to work with him one final time for our 40th Anniversary show."

Mr. Carey was very proud of his service as a U.S. Marine Corporal in World War II and the Korean War. One of the survivors on the U.S.S. Franklin, he was honored with the Asiatic Pacific 9 Stars World War II victory medal after he was wounded in the attack that cost the lives of hundreds of his crewmates and made the Franklin the most heavily damaged carrier to survive the war.

Mr. Carey harbored dreams of being an actor all his life. He studied drama at the University of Miami, but it was back on Long Island where he got his break. During a summer stock production of "Over 21," a representative of Warner Bros. spotted him and asked him to take the screen test that launched his film career. His first feature film, Operation Pacific, starred John Wayne and led to a long-term contract with Warner Bros. During his time at Warner's and later at Columbia Pictures, Mr. Carey starred with some of Hollywood's legendary actors, including Gary Cooper in Springfield Rifle, Henry Fonda in Mister Roberts, Peter Fonda in Fighting Mad and Tyrone Power in The Long Gray Line. In addition he starred with Fred MacMurray and Kim Novak in Pushover, the first film in which Miss Novak appeared as the leading lady.

Mr. Carey starred in a number of primetime television series such as PHILIP MARLOW, BENGAL LANCERS, LAREDO and THE UNTAMED WORLD, and guest-starred on ALL IN THE FAMILY, LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE, POLICE WOMAN, THE BIONIC WOMAN and GUNSMOKE. Additionally he toured in such stage plays as Arthur Miller's "All My Sons" and "Cyrano de Bergerac."

Mr. Carey experienced the world doing what he loved most. His family fondly remembers his countless entertaining stories from exotic locations. One of his favorite anecdotes came after the filming of the television series LAREDO, when he portrayed Granny Goose in the surprisingly popular series of commercials for Granny Goose Potato Chips. In addition he was an avid golfer, and often played with Dean Martin at the Riviera Country Club in Los Angeles. Looking back on Phil Carey's time with Robert S. Woods and Clint Ritchie on ONE LIFE TO LIVE, they undeniably were the Rat Pack of the soap opera world.

http://www.michaelfairmansoaps.com/news ... ews_id=230

Another actor, Clint Ritchie also passed away in the last week.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:34:21 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2009, 04:28:04 PM »

Ugh! Another one!?!?!??!

Texas Peanut Plant Shuts After Tests
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #273 on: February 10, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »

Clint Ritchie had North Dakota connections, he was born in Grafton, ND.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #274 on: February 10, 2009, 04:30:10 PM »

I have sworn off peanut butter for a while...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #275 on: February 10, 2009, 04:31:14 PM »

And playwright, Robert Anderson (Tea and Sympathy, I Never Sang For My Father) also passed away yesterday.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #276 on: February 10, 2009, 04:32:02 PM »

RIP Phil ...  I send thoughts and condolences to the freinds, fans and family of both Phil and Clint.

Laura

« Reply #277 on: February 10, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »

Today DR Sandra and I rode the light rail. Our goal was to stop at every stop and photograph the public art at the stations.

We almost did it. But it got kinda late, so we have about four more to go.

Perhaps I shall have a very big post later tonight.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Cillaliz

« Reply #278 on: February 10, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »

I'm glad it worked out.  I know people who leave food & water if they are only gone for a couple of days.  We have never done that, especially if the cat needs medication.

I'd probably have to board Callie if I didn't have anyone to watch them.  In that case, I'd probably see if they could be boarded together

Jane

« Reply #279 on: February 10, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #280 on: February 10, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »

I'm so glad I can watch the Westminster Dog Show tonight.  I couldn't get USA or CNBC at the hotel, so I watched some of it online, but it's just not the same.

Jane

« Reply #281 on: February 10, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »

I'm glad it worked out.  I know people who leave food & water if they are only gone for a couple of days.  We have never done that, especially if the cat needs medication.

I'd probably have to board Callie if I didn't have anyone to watch them.  In that case, I'd probably see if they could be boarded together

You are very lucky to have such a great sitter.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #282 on: February 10, 2009, 04:38:42 PM »

Here is the announcement on the passing of Clint Ritchie

Clint Ritchie: 1938-2009

From Soapnet.com / Soap News and Scoops

We are so sad to even be typing these words: Clint Ritchie, who we all grew to know and love from his almost 20-year run as "One Life to Live"'s Clint Buchanan, has passed away.

Clint -- who originated the role of Mr. Buchanan in 1979 -- died on January 31 following the installation of a pacemaker. Cause of death, per Radar magazine, was due to a blood clot that formed post-surgery. He was 70.

Prior to joining "OLTL," Ritchie starred in numerous TV westerns of the '50s and '60s, as well as films such as "Patton" and the amazing disaster movie "Earthquake." But it was his role as Clint, the newspaper publisher/cowboy that made Viki (Erika Slezak) realize she could love again, that endeared him to millions. Clint is seen here in all his early 80s glory with pa Asa (Phil Carey) and brother Bo (Robert S. Woods), both of whom were real life friends. Ritchie retired in 1998, but the character of Clint Buchanan made sporadic "OLTL" appearances until 2004. In 2005, Jerry verDorn took over the role.

Ritchie lived on a 60-acre ranch called the Happy Horse near Sacramento, CA. He was very famously injured there in 1993 when a tractor upended and ran over him. Despite critical injuries, he made a full recovery.

He never married nor had children.

Our thoughts are with his loved ones. Rest in peace, Clint! You were SO awesome as Clint B.!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #283 on: February 10, 2009, 04:43:29 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Glad to see the report from Tomovoz that he and Colin are safe. My best to all those affected by the fires.

DAW

« Reply #284 on: February 10, 2009, 04:44:17 PM »

Perhaps I shall have a very big post later tonight.

Oh, I do hope so!    :D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #285 on: February 10, 2009, 04:44:23 PM »

I wasn't sure whether to brave posting this link to a video just finalized last night, but the coincidence of the notes being about Flatbush and Brooklyn made me say what-the-heck. 

It's a video (including photo montage) of my song "Brooklyn Boy" whence came the moniker BklynBoy, a simple piano demo that I sang here in the apartment - and the last part winds up in Flatbush.  It's sung by a highly opinionated character in the show it was written for, so opinions about other places in New York reflect the character's biases, not mine.  :)

It's not a parody, though, but I hope it brings a smile - we've put a couple of other non-parody songs of mine up over the past few days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiQRDVKvf5Q

(Thanks as always to Jose's roommate Jim for making the video/photo components come together.)

This was great!  And the singer's not bad, too. ;)

Let me add my congratulations.  Great song!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DAW

« Reply #286 on: February 10, 2009, 04:44:50 PM »

Count me among the fans of Into the Woods and, especially, Passion.  But I do respect any and all opinions.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:57:32 PM by DAW »

DAW

« Reply #287 on: February 10, 2009, 04:45:31 PM »

***RECOVERY VIBES***
to DS Craig!!!!

DAW

« Reply #288 on: February 10, 2009, 04:46:22 PM »

Well....

The GOOD NEWS is that my eyes are basically healthy.

The BAD NEWS is that I now have to get my first pair of bifocals.        :P

Cillaliz

« Reply #289 on: February 10, 2009, 04:46:30 PM »

You are very lucky to have such a great sitter.

Yes I am, it's her business Critter Sitters.  So, she does get paid for what she does.

DAW

« Reply #290 on: February 10, 2009, 04:47:51 PM »

I can't get DR FJL's "Brooklyn Boy" to load on my computer.  Perhaps it's so popular that it's crashing YouTube.

Jane

« Reply #291 on: February 10, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »

Thank you DR DAW.  I hate to do the Mom thing & keep asking how he is.  I'm sure he will be sore for a good while.  It is the full recovery I worry the most about-and those darn stairs.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #292 on: February 10, 2009, 04:48:27 PM »

I watched HOBSON'S CHOICE afterward. Despite DR JRand's dislike of it, it's always been a delightful film to me. I love Charles Laughton's over-the-top performance amid the regular playing of everyone else, and the story, a view of the feminist movement decades before it happened, is both funny and poignant. And Lean's direction is superlative. His "small films" have always had enormous appeal to me, and this one, his next to last small project before he began his massive epics with KWAI, is a near perfect rendering of a stage warhorse.

I don't know about Jack, but I said I would vote for a root canal, or HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3, or some other fate; rather than watch HOBSON'S CHOICE.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #293 on: February 10, 2009, 04:49:58 PM »

I log on to find RD BCT is worrying about his virginity and DR DOOR has gone bi.

So much happening.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #294 on: February 10, 2009, 04:50:25 PM »

Well....

The BAD NEWS is that I now have to get my first pair of bifocals.        :P

Only bi?  The eye doctor at the time said it would be easier to go straight to progressive lenses.  If that was easier I would hate to have done more difficult.  Twelve years later & I still don't like them.

Tomovoz

« Reply #295 on: February 10, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »

Count me in as a fan of "Into the Woods" and "Passion"

Way better than "Anyone Can Whistle" and I've seen a few productions.

I've yet to see productions of "Saturday Night" or "Bounce" (aka .........).

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:56:43 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #296 on: February 10, 2009, 04:54:51 PM »

DR JRand58, did you ever get your DVDs of "Man of La Mancha" from various places? The vendor is having a good one-day sale at the moment.

Speaking of "Man of La Mancha," the third package that I received today was the book, Cardenio or the Second Maiden's Tragedy, attributed to William Shakespeare and John Fletcher.  The main character, Cardenio (a.k.a. Govianus, the deposed King), is "a bizzarre character in Cervantes's Don Quixote," which was first published in England around the time that this play was written.  I suggested this to TAO (the theater group with whom I've been working) as a possibility for their summer Shakespeare show.  They like to do different things, and probably no one's heard of this. :)

What happened to POOKA THE "F" DOG?
“One thing’s universal,

DAW

« Reply #297 on: February 10, 2009, 04:55:16 PM »

Our high school band teacher used to joke:

In my forties I got bifocals and in my fifties I got trifocals.  Now I just use DIAL-A-LENS!    :D

DAW

« Reply #298 on: February 10, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »

I log on to find RD BCT is worrying about his virginity and DR DOOR has gone bi.

So much happening.

;D  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #299 on: February 10, 2009, 04:56:25 PM »

Back from a really good and promising meeting.  We'll see what happens from here.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up