Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SURPRISE, SURPRISE  (Read 28396 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:SURPRISE, SURPRISE
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2004, 11:50:17 AM »

Oh, my, I must do this. Forgive me. It's a pure vanity post.
[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Ben Has Ascended Into 2XG![/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2004, 11:50:25 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2004, 11:51:16 AM »

Happy Birthday, Francois!!!!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2004, 11:51:21 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]We Dance Upwards for Ben![/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Emily

« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2004, 11:56:31 AM »

An answer to questions asked:

Quik
Almonds (although plain is yummy too)
Without (carraway seeds = ugh)
PFK = gross (yes that is "poulet frit Kentucky" :) )

5'8''
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2004, 12:05:13 PM »

I can't remember ever asking a restaurant to make me something special.  For one thing, I wouldn't do it unless the people at the restaurant knew me quite well.  For another thing, asking for something off the menu (unless it's something they're known for) makes things hard for the chefs, who are working under pressure in the kitchen.  That's unfair to the chefs, and unfair to the other patrons.

On the other hand, der Brucer and I have had dishes we haven't ordered brought out to us, and been told that the chef would like us to try it.  This usually happens when we're known to the kitchen, and they want our honest opinion on something new.  Although the last time this happened, it was the bartendender at Cafe Zeus wanting us to try his new Aphrodite's Kiss (Mount Gay Mango Rum, pommegranite juice, a splash of pineapple juice, and I'm the one who suggested the lime slice as a garnish, served in a martini glass), which is just as addictive as certain on-line games.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2004, 12:06:06 PM »

Emily, you're taller than I imagined!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2004, 12:29:06 PM »

I woke up craving peanut butter.  I wonder why!  ;D

I must comment on something mentioned yesterday.  I’m with you Panni, plain traditional matzos and nothing else.  I do put butter on it for a special treat.

SWW, I’m confused as Hellmann’s and Best Foods mayo tastes the same.  Did they originally but now have the same ingredients?

Jason WELCOME BACK!  :) Nice picture.

Td, wow, I didn’t realize I rated as a top poster.  Maybe that is why I still have a pile of ironing that hasn’t been done.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRANCOIS!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2004, 12:38:26 PM »

Ben, there is one major difference between Playwrights and Screenwriters...that is copyright.  Playwrights own their copyright; Screenwriters don't.  From that one issue flow all benefits for playwrights; all evils for screenwriters.  Because we don't own our copyright, we get thrown off things we created, we have no say in changes, we have no power or control over the work.  Because playwrights have copyright,  no one can change a thing without their permission.   The one trade-off is money.  Screenwriters get paid obscenely well.  Even mediocre screenwriters can earn a lucrative living.  Playwrights trade money for power...unless they have a Broadway/West End hit or something that becomes a regional theatre hit or a community theatre staple, it's much harder for them to make a living.  

As I get older, I want to abandon movies and go back to the theatre...which is where I started out, which I still find infinitely more exciting than film...a good play for me is always more thrilling than a good movie.  But also in the theatre, things are not topsy-turvy, the power still rests with the visionary, the one CREATING artist -- The playwright.  That's not to say the others contributors aren't "creative", but they are INTERPRETING artists.

I was on the Board of Directors for the WGA from 1997-2001.  I ran on one issue alone. Creative Rights.  I was known (and still am in some circles) as "The Pit Bull of Creative Rights".  I won't be happy until screenwriters have the same power as our brothers in the Dramatists Guild (of which I'm also a member).

Here are THE THREE GREAT LIES OF HOLLYWOOD:

1)THE AUTEUR THEORY.  This is the greatest French farce since Feydeau.  WRITERS create stories, not directors.

2) DIRECTOR'S VISION.  If a director is doing his job right, he has NO VISION.  All he has is a point-of-view toward THE VISION OF THE SCRIPT.  Which a WRITER wrote.  A director SERVES the script.

3) A FILM BY.  Always a sop to an insecure ego.  This started off as a marketing ploy because a half dozen directors became as recognizable as the stars they were directing, so they got their name over the title (But look at something like YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU...It says Frank Capra directs James Stewart and Jean Arthur in...No  "Frank Capra film" or "A Film By...").
But guess what, kiddies?  There's still only about a half dozen "star" directors.  So why has this possessive become a wholesale statement of artistry that touts every nonentity, hack, and mediocrity to come down the pike?  And why should even box office directors get to lay claim to the whole movie? A film is always the work of many, many people, not just one man...Though Ben Hecht once said: "A film is never any better than the stupidest person connected with it."

Directors always bellow, "The script is merely a blueprint for a film", displaying their illiteracy by misinterpreting this word.  A contractor  doesn't go around willy-nilly changing the blueprints of a house.  He may change a window or a closet, but he doesn't shift stress-bearing walls...and even on small changes, he usually consults the architect.  And it's always a "Frank Lloyd Wright" house.  Named after the guy who designed it, NOT the guy who built it.

Back in the thirties, a director was usually assigned a script after it was where the producer wanted it to be.  If he didn't shoot something, Hal Wallis or whoever was on the phone, saying: "Where is scene 56B?"  After he finished filming (or even before) that film was with the editor and the director wasn't there with him.  He was off filming his next assignment.  If you wanted final cut, you learn to cut in the camera like John Ford, so that there was only one way to put the thing together.  Often times director's were taken off films, sometimes they were taken off something to go shoot footage on someone else's film.  The writers may have been employees in those days; but so were the directors.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2004, 12:46:38 PM »

Today's questions and answers:

I'm a quarter of an inch under 5'11", but I've always put 6" on my acting resume because people always thought I was six feet.  I have...or at least had...very good posture.

However, I was recently examined for an insurance policy and the examiner measured me at 5'10"  But I found his way of measuring me a bit inexact.  He just ran a roll-up tape-measure along side me and sighted along it.  So he was either sloppy or I'm shrinking in my dotage.

I used to be able to order one of my favourite salads...a German hot slaw dish from my mother's recipe at our local bistro.  But since the restaurant got so expensive and our visits more infrequent, I would no longer presume to do this...even if they could remember the recipe.

BK, I must have been E & T when it happened, but what is all this "And one for Mahler"?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 12:48:03 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jane

« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2004, 12:52:16 PM »

Does anyone   still   wear   a    hat?

Keith and I both have a nice hat collection and wear them often

Ben

« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2004, 12:55:06 PM »

Wow, thanks Pogue for a great answer. A dear friend of mine (a playwright who is no longer an active playwright) said someone said to him (my friend) at one point, "you can make a killing in the theatre, but it's hard to make a living."

Charles Pogue

« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2004, 12:55:14 PM »

The lovely wife is as witty as she is lovely.  We were listening to CNN with breakfast this morning and heard a story that Yankee fans were revolting (well, they've always been revolting.  This time, they're rebelling) because the Yankees are going to stop selling Crackerjacks in favour of Crunch 'n' Munch.  As we were trying to fathom the havoc this would wreak on that old standard Take Me Out To The Ballgame ("Buy me some peanuts and Crunch 'n' Munch, I don't care if I never eat lunch"?), I lamented with a sigh:  "I hate this country; it has no respect for its traditions."  To which the lovely wife replied.  "It maintains its tradition of stupidity."  "Ah, yes," I acknowledged.  "I'd forgotten that."  And the lovely wife retorted:  "Its one tradition it will never lose."

Nope, guess not.  George Bush in the Oval office is indisputable proof.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2004, 12:59:15 PM »

I’m 5’3Ľ“ (Jennifer gets her half, I take my quarter) and wish I were taller so I can eat more and reach things on high shelves.  I do feel lucky to be this tall.  I was only 4’10”” when I entered high school, and 5’2˝” when I left.  

Jason I’m sure your parents will notice your weight loss, I didn’t say anything but thought you looked thinner in your new photo.  Now are you going to tell me it isn’t new?

JoseSPian I have driven a good distance for a Carvel’s ice cream. :P

Dan (the man) we have requested vegetarian dishes, nothing specific, just when the original menu is lacking in choices.  Sometimes we get lucky.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2004, 01:13:31 PM »

Hershey's Syrup, Quik, and/or Ovaltine?  
I use to like Hershey’s but haven’t had it in years.  I still don't like Ovaltine.

With or without Almonds? Almonds.

Rye: with or without caraway seeds? It must have seeds.

Original Recipe or Extra Crispy?  I can’t recall having either.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2004, 01:23:11 PM »

Whatever happened to Free Cell?

I also love Free Cell.  I play that as much as I play Scorpion Solitaire.  I have a diskette that has 50 different Bicycle Solitaire games on it and Scorpion is my favorite.  That and Free Cell.  I have South Park Free Cell.  It's exactly the same as regular Free Cell, but has South Park characters on the cards.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2004, 01:31:25 PM »

Okay, thanks to DR Panni, this is my chief accomplishment for the day:

I have the advantage of working on a laptop, so I can continue the game at home as long as I don't power-down the machine.  I have some errands to run before I go home but the battery should keep up for at least two hours.  

I feel like George in that episode of Seinfeld with the Frogger machine...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Robin

« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2004, 01:33:55 PM »

Hershey's Syrup, Quik, and/or Ovaltine?  

With or without Almonds?

Rye: with or without caraway seeds?

Original Recipe or Extra Crispy?

Ovaltine.
With Almonds.
With or without seeds.  Don't matter to me.
Original recipe.

And, even though no one asked, here is my KFC story....

Once upon a time, when I was a nearly-starving college student, my roommate got a part-time job at KFC.  This was back when it was still called Kentucky Fried Chicken.  Every evening, he'd bring home leftover fried chicken.  For two solid years, we ate a steady diet of Kentucky Fried Chicken.  Now, one would think that a steady diet of this stuff would make me come to abhor the taste of the stuff.

Oh no.

Essentially, I became addicted to it.  When Zack moved away, I found myself seriously jonesing for original recipe chicken.  And even to this day, every few weeks, I MUST have some....or bad things start to happen.  I think this is because the Colonel's secret blend of spices includes a dash of crack cocaine.  I could be wrong about this.  But I doubt it.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2004, 01:40:05 PM »

DRPanni, I love this game!  I got to 54,150 before I burned down the library.  I won't let that happen again.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2004, 01:41:33 PM »

Well, where's the flourish of strumpets?  I just rose to the Heavens!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2004, 01:44:28 PM »

AS YOUNG AS YOU FEEL is a perky little comedy that's just loaded with wonderful character actors. Besides top billed Monty Woolley, there's the always stupendous Thelma Ritter, David Wayne, Allyn Joslyn, Jean Peters, Constance Bennett (of all people), Albert Dekker, Clinton Sundberg, and, of course, Marilyn. And if you look around the edges you can see people like Emerson Tracey, too. And it's only 76 minutes so the perfect length for a slim, likable little story.

Then, to go from the sublime to the ridiculous, I put in CONCORDE: AIRPORT '79. Only got 30 minutes in, but I sure can see why this was laughed off the screen. Simply terrible in every respect so far. It's the one AIRPORT movie I had never seen, so I thought it might be good for a groan or two. Make that two hundred.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2004, 01:51:58 PM »

K, I must have been E & T when it happened, but what is all this "And one for Mahler"?

Lyrics from "The Ladies Who Lunch" (COMPANY)

I’d like to propose a toast
Here's to the ladies who lunch--
Everybody laugh.
Lounging in their caftans
And planning a brunch
On their own behalf.

Off to the gym,
Then to a fitting,
Claiming they're fat.
And looking grim,
'Cause they've been sitting
Choosing a hat.
Does anyone still wear a hat?
I'll drink to that.

Here's to the girls who play smart--
Aren't they a gas?
Rushing to their classes
In optical art,
Wishing it would pass.

Another long exhausting day,
Another thousand dollars,
A matinee, a Pinter play,
Perhaps a piece of Mahler's.
I’ll drink to that
And one for Mahler

Here's to the girls who just watch--
Aren't they the best?....etc.

Panni

« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2004, 01:54:23 PM »

FS Pogue - I knew if were patient you'd appear and answer the screenwriting question to perfection, and I wouldn't have to make the attempt (although I did start earlier - so I didn't totally abandon my post as one of the resident screenwriters).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 01:58:02 PM by Panni »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2004, 01:57:27 PM »

Oh God, elmore!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2004, 01:59:29 PM »

Oh God, elmore!

You rang?  Hee Hee! :D

Jason

« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2004, 02:02:04 PM »

Jane: No, the picture is not old. In fact, I just had those headshots done about three weeks ago. I have a couple more that I'm using (more formal, less smiley), but the one I'm using today on HHW will be my everyday "boy next door" shot. My friend took the pictures for me and should have my 8x10 final shots processed by Friday. Isn't THAT exciting? Isn't it too too??

Elmore: Congrats on the Goodspeed gig(s). I'd give my right arm to work there. I doubt they'd hire me with only one arm, but I'd still love to work there. Oh, to be a union actor... Anyway, I agree with you about Wagner. What a snooze-fest. The Wagnerpalooza known as THE RING is the singular most self-indulgent and musically masturbatory piece of "theatre" I've ever experienced. As DAS BARBECU showed, that story can be told in WAY less than nineteen hours. I also agree with you about the CARMEN quintet. I had the great joy of being in a chorus of CARMEN back in Kentucky and I thought it was some of the most exciting stuff I'd had the chance to sing. And give me anything by Mozart and I'm likely to love it--especially his choral works.

I think I'm gonna go home now...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2004, 02:04:19 PM »

I just called and scheduled myself for two dentist appointments.  I got one, just for cleaning.............

............... and one for molar!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2004, 02:06:53 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS NEWEST GOD, ELMORE!

(I EVEN FORGIVE YOU FOR ASKING BK, INSTEAD OF ME, ON A DATE!)

Panni

« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2004, 02:08:27 PM »

I just called and scheduled myself for two dentist appointments.  I got one, just for cleaning.............

............... and one for molar!

Now, that's what I call Comedy!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »

Oh, my, I must do this. Forgive me. It's a pure vanity post.

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]CONGRATULATIONS, BEN ON THE BIG 4 DIGITS!![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]CONGRATULATIONS, ELMORE ON BECOMING THE NEXT HHW GOD!![/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up