Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HENCEFORTH  (Read 25537 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:HENCEFORTH
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2004, 10:36:10 AM »

Sibilant "sss"?  DanssssssSalome!

Not big on war movies, modern horror movies, teen comedies (though saw SAVED, the other night and it was amusing), but I can watch almost any western...no matter how bad.

BK, Harlan Ellison sent us one of those Candy You Ate As A Kid boxes and I found most of it dreadful.  Never was one for liquid wax bottles, wax lips, little candy dots on paper that taste like dusty powder, candy cigarettes, Zagnuts, Zeroes, those jellied Chuckles, Good 'n Plenty (all stuff I never ate as a kid)...too few real old chocolate candy bars like Clark Bars and Buns.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2004, 10:37:40 AM »

DR RLP is right. I'm certainly not saying that those kinds of morals are unique to the South, but it certainly was a part of every aspect of my upbringing along with calling every adult "sir" or "m'am," and things like learning Bible verses in regular school and talking about Bible stories in school. One other unique aspect to my upbringing was that I spent most of my youth with very elderly people, people born before 1900 who had a very different code of behavior from most of my peers. My grandmother lived next door to us, and my uncle (who had no children so he treated my brother and me as his children) would come every afternoon and take my grandmother for a ride in the country. I always went along, so there was something about being with older people that just made me VERY old for my years.

Maybe that's why as I came to understand my sexuality and such, I was always attracted to older men.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2004, 10:46:56 AM »

Of course, Southern Baptist guilt can't hold a candle to Catholic guilt....or the guilt that can be imposed by Jewish mothers!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2004, 10:52:33 AM »

I taped AIA when it was on but still haven't watched it.  My idea of a serious play about AIDS doesn't include transvestites, angels crashing through ceilings and a closeted politician.

No serious report on AIDS in the eighties could fail to include transvestites! The Drag Queens were on the front line raising money and awareness long before anyone else. Long before Liz Taylor had her AMFAR Foundation or the pros set up AIDS Project LA, the LA Drag Queens had set up Aid For Aids and were wearing away every inch of their heels raising money for the afflicted.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2004, 10:56:23 AM »

Never was one for liquid wax bottles, wax lips, little candy dots on paper that taste like dusty powder, candy cigarettes, Zagnuts, Zeroes, those jellied Chuckles, Good 'n Plenty (all stuff I never ate as a kid)...too few real old chocolate candy bars like Clark Bars and Buns.

You have clearly lost touch with your "inner tyke".

der Brucer (still remembering Turkish Taffy - and losing teeth in JuJu Beads)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2004, 11:01:41 AM »

No serious report on AIDS in the eighties could fail to include transvestites! The Drag Queens were on the front line raising money and awareness long before anyone else. Long before Liz Taylor had her AMFAR Foundation or the pros set up AIDS Project LA, the LA Drag Queens had set up Aid For Aids and were wearing away every inch of their heels raising money for the afflicted.

der Brucer

Then I can only assume that drag queens are never Republicans. ::)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2004, 11:02:17 AM »

Yesterday DearReaderLaura posted this critter

with the legend below "It Needs Salt".

Was this the subject's comment on its meal, or the chef's musing on subject's preparation for her meal?

der Brucer (could could send Laura a copy of Ted Nugents "Kill It & Grill It")

...sorry Jane...

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2004, 11:08:04 AM »

I was going to make a post but then just as I hit the button to where I could write my post the thought that I was going to post completely flipped out of my mind!

So now I have nothing to say.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2004, 11:08:49 AM »

Question for bk:
"....but I’m saving my wax lips and liquid bottles for a special occasion."
What kind of special occasion calls for wax lips and liquid bottles? (A genuine question - I don't want to commit a social faux pas by not bringing them next time I'm invited to such an occasion.)

;D ;D ;D

Jane

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2004, 11:12:58 AM »

Of course, Southern Baptist guilt can't hold a candle to Catholic guilt....or the guilt that can be imposed by Jewish mothers!!!

My Jewish father was an expert at it. :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2004, 11:16:17 AM »

I don’t care for westerns or science fiction films, but, as others have mentioned, there are exceptions to every rule.  As BK mentioned, the teen comedies, or as I call them – the gross-out comedies are not high on my list, either.  I usually try to pick a film because it sounds interesting to me, and not because it fits into a particular genre.  Indirectly, because of this question, I thought of another of my all-time favorite films that I had completely forgotten to mention as a favorite until today – The Big Chill.  (Westerns made me think of Silverado and Rustler’s Rhapsody, neither of which I have seen, but featuring two of my favorite actors:  Kevin Kline in Silverado and Tom Berenger in Rustler’s Rhapsody).  
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2004, 11:19:19 AM »

Enough of this frivolity, time for serious reflection:

1. Now that food has replaced sex in my life, I can't even get into my own pants.

2. Marriage changes passion. Suddenly you're in bed with a relative.

3. I saw a woman wearing a sweat shirt with "Guess" on it. So I said "Implants?" She hit me.

4. I don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

5. Sign in a Chinese Pet Store: "Buy one dog, get one flea..."

6. I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here.

7. I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner.

8. If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

9. I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.

10 There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and Shithead's.

11. I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life

12. I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

13. Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I have stayed alive.

14. How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

15. Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

16. Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?

17. Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled.

18. A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

19. I signed up for an exercise class and was told to wear loose-fitting clothing.  If I HAD any loose-fitting clothing, I wouldn't have signed up in the first place!

21. When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping," now I just "chunky dunk."

22. The worst thing about accidents in the kitchen is eating them.

23. Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

24. Wouldn't it be nice if whenever we messed up our life we could simply press 'Ctrl Alt Delete' and start all over?

25. Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

26. Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

27. Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they can in prison?

29. Wouldn't you know it...Brain cells come and brain cells go, but FAT cells live forever.

30. Why do I have to swear on the Bible in court when the Ten Commandments cannot be displayed in a federal building?

der Brucer (who had no creditable source for his wisdom from the ages)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2004, 11:21:09 AM »

Pogue: Harlan didn't send you the right collection.  If you visit their website, you'll find lots of the things you like.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2004, 11:21:32 AM »

For Jane:

Heart Attacks: God's Revenge For Eating His Animal Friends

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what the heck does a humanitarian eat!?

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my gosh....I could be eating a slow learner.

der devil-made-me-do-it Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2004, 11:21:56 AM »

This isn't what I was going to post previously, but it was a piece of trivia that I thought was slightly interesting...as many of you know actor Dack Rambo had a twin brother named Dirk who was also an actor. The teenaged Dirk was killed in a car accident in 1967...but what I didn't know was that 1950s starlet Kathleen Case was the drive of the car that killed Dirk! I just found that interesting.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2004, 11:23:00 AM »

I
So now I have nothing to say.

And you said it very well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2004, 11:25:46 AM »

Haven't had any comments from those who saw the season finale of The Sopranos.  As you know, I was disappointed in it.  No cliffhangers, no reason to wait another year plus for new episodes.  It was almost as if they were giving themselves insurance against not being able to renegotiate, although if the series were to be over it would be with a whimper.  But for all the HBO breast-beating about the DRAMATIC season finale, and how everything was going to come to a head, nothing did.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2004, 11:25:52 AM »

...as many of you know actor Dack Rambo had a twin brother named Dirk who was also an actor. The teenaged Dirk was killed in a car accident in 1967...but what I didn't know was that 1950s starlet Kathleen Case was the drive of the car that killed Dirk! I just found that interesting.

Are you preparing scripts for "Cold Case"?

der Brucer (and did she get arrested, tried, convicted...come on  - out with the dirt!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2004, 11:28:55 AM »

I read that a long time ago, MBARNUM, but hadn't thought about it in years.....sad sad sad.

The sibiliant films were Chicago SSSSSSSSsyndicate and The Giant Claw both from Columbia and everyone was sssssssssss-ing all over the place.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2004, 11:29:10 AM »

Okay on my way to work in the box office...... bye
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2004, 11:32:11 AM »

Are you preparing scripts for "Cold Case"?

der Brucer (and did she get arrested, tried, convicted...come on  - out with the dirt!)

That was all the information I could find. I read that Kathleen died in the 1970s ( when she was in her 40s) but could find no futher information regarding the car accident and who was at fault or whether she was injured. It would be interesting to find out the whole story, however.

Ben

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2004, 11:32:33 AM »

Didn't see the season finale for Sopranos. Haven't seen any of the episodes this year. I stopped getting HBO just before the season started again (long story involving my mess w/Time-Warner Cable of New York City - the true spawn of the devil - Panni, you are off the hook). Anthony's mother has been taping them all and will give us the tapes later this month.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2004, 11:41:45 AM »

That was all the information I could find. I read that Kathleen died in the 1970s ( when she was in her 40s) but could find no futher information regarding the car accident and who was at fault or whether she was injured. It would be interesting to find out the whole story, however.

Is there a reason you are hiding the fact that she was of Hungarian descent?

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2004, 11:45:43 AM »

Ben, have a nice day tomorrow and wish Anthony a very Happy Birthday!

DerBrucer, the heart attack one is my favorite.  :D

I loved them when I was young, but now I don’t care for gangster shows.  We watched the first episode or two of Sopranos and Keith would have continued watching, but I just didn’t want to.  It is the subject that bother’s me.  I find it too realistic and scary.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2004, 11:49:41 AM »

You might also want to look into the murder of young actress Karyn Kupcinet, daughter of Irv Kupcinet.  She was dating Andrew Prince around the time she was killed.

Here is the link to a strange theory, plus background on the case:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/kupcinet.htm

Please note, "Lost in Space" fans, that she had dined with Mark Goddard and his wife the night of her murder.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 11:55:47 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2004, 11:52:33 AM »

A Question for BK and Anyone:  a couple of weeks ago, I got the Chinese release (through eBay) of the first three seasons of "Queer As Folk" for only $40.95 (not including shipping) and if I had paid full price for the three American releases, it would've been about $350.

And you think Terry and his Chinese Pirates had no hand in your good fortune?

der always-sceptical Brucer

(At Times Square last week a "gent" was hawking designer watches for $5 - the real McCoy, I'm sure!)

So, is it possible that they are legitimate?  And genuinely released in China and available on eBay from a reputable seller for a lot less than in the US (he asked hopefully)?  I know that the bootleging of DVDs (usually from Asia) is rampant, but there have to be some that are legitimate?  Don't there? ???
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2004, 11:58:26 AM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2004, 11:59:08 AM »

None of these Chinese DVD knockoffs are legit.  But still, it's a good way to see the shows without paying an arm and a leg.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2004, 12:03:52 PM »

BK, Harlan Ellison sent us one of those Candy You Ate As A Kid boxes and I found most of it dreadful.  Never was one for liquid wax bottles, wax lips, little candy dots on paper that taste like dusty powder, candy cigarettes, Zagnuts, Zeroes, those jellied Chuckles, Good 'n Plenty (all stuff I never ate as a kid).

Candy cigarettes! I used to go around the house puffing those a la Bette Davis. Tres sophisticated. (I'm talking about my childhood - not last year, thank you.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2004, 12:03:59 PM »

Good Afternoon!

-And I think that's all I can think of to say right now...

Hmmmm....

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up