Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A GAZELLE IN A GARTER BELT  (Read 27769 times)

FJL

Re:A GAZELLE IN A GARTER BELT
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2006, 11:32:45 AM »

Ben - Interesting name for a bar.

FJL

« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2006, 11:33:11 AM »

Therapy, I mean, I know Ben is not the name of  a bar.

FJL

« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2006, 11:36:21 AM »

JHVW is only 23 (though he's quite poised and mature for 23).  

Do you mean the Town House crowd is older than 23, or a general "older?"

Jennifer

« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2006, 11:36:26 AM »

Happy Birthday DR JMK.

FJL

« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2006, 11:40:14 AM »

I'd better get off this topic or we might wind up being classified as a "special interest" site.  :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2006, 11:55:20 AM »

With the encouragement of DER BRUCER, post #3300.

Congrats on the plateau, FJL! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2006, 12:00:39 PM »

If the Brain has its deserved success, then bk can go lot shopping;

The LA TIMES describes it thus:
$75 Million Could Land You a Nice Chunk of Bel-Air

Even at $75 million, it doesn't come with a house, pool or anything else, for that matter.

But a group of Century City investment bankers are hoping that their 12.4-acre terraced hillside lot in Bel-Air will fetch that amount — even in a cooling real estate market.

The parcel, across from the Hotel Bel-Air and less than a mile north of Sunset Boulevard and UCLA, was assembled over nine years by flamboyant movie producer Steve Bing. He tore down homes on the land once owned by such show business luminaries as Barry Manilow, Red Buttons and Kim Novak.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »

I'd better get off ...or we might wind up being classified as a "special interest" site.  :)

That'll do it!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ben

« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2006, 12:03:03 PM »

The demographic for The Townhouse skews toward the "older" side, at least it did the last I heard.

You're right, JHWV does appear older than 23. What surprised me though was, he's

[size=8]TALL[/size]

The way his picture was shot he looks to be less tall. Not that there's anything wrong with being tall (for those of you on the site who are taller than me, and that's most of you).

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2006, 12:09:07 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR JMK!

I hear that Jesus Camp is a must-see docu.

It was great to be back in Canada - haven't been to Ottawa in many years. At the reception I attended (see below), saw people I hadn't seen in decades. Was interviewed - in Hungarian - for a Hungarian TV show. That was fun! Went to a wonderful concert at the National Arts Center following the reception. Yuja Wang, a young Chinese pianist (19 years old!), played Profofiev's 3rd Piano Concerto and she was superb. What a thrill to see someone like this at the beginning of her career.

As for the reception, below is a description from a news release about it. I was one of "the 50." Needless to say, it was a great honor. The portraits were incredible. My favorite was Elvis Stojko - totally nude. Before some of you book flights to Ottawa - nothing that shouldn't be seen at the National Arts Center is seen. My portrait turned out well. The credit goes to the photographer, who is a master of his craft. You can see some of his other work at www.vtonyhauser.com

“The National Arts Centre is honoured to have commissioned a series of 50 portraits by renowned photographer V. Tony Hauser in celebration of the exceptional contributions made by Hungarian-Canadians to Canadian culture and society since the 1956 Revolution. The portrait sitters represent some of the many thousands of Hungarians who came to Canada in difficult circumstances to start new lives, but who thrived -- and whose contributions became an important part of this country’s cultural heritage,” said NAC President and CEO Peter Herrndorf. “We are proud and honoured to be celebrating their innovation and creativity.” The exhibition, entitled NEW LIVES, will be displayed in the foyer and mezzanine of the NAC’s Southam Hall from October 5 to 22, 2006. A private unveiling of the exhibit takes place on October 4, 2006 in the presence of many of the portrait sitters."

And that's it from here. It's astonishing how even being away just two days can leave you with so much catching up!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2006, 12:10:58 PM »

PS - My post makes it look like Jesus Camp has something to do with JMK's birthday. Not! It just came to mind as I was writing and I wanted to get it down before I forgot.

FJL

« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2006, 12:44:30 PM »

Ben - Too bad we're not near a page turn, which would have allowed me to say...

FJL

« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2006, 12:44:44 PM »

And one for Taller

FJL

« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2006, 12:54:50 PM »

PENN AND TALLER - that's the name of the new documentary about Sean Penn and just about anyone else

FJL

« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2006, 01:04:54 PM »

Those tall tales seem to have driven people away.  :(

Cillaliz

« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2006, 01:07:30 PM »

JRand - a fun impromptu moment at dinner:  The waiter was pouring the water, and Cilla turned to me (channeling Edward Hibbert) and said "Your ice water."

Thank you for not channeling Georgia Engel and spitting it all over me!

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2006, 01:19:08 PM »

DR jhvw had "Therapy" with DR Jose.....I mean he went to "Therapy" with DR Jose.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2006, 01:20:06 PM »

Well, autumn did pop in to greet us this afternoon.

Right around the time I was running my errands, the wind picked up, the sun went behind clouds, and all of a sudden, the temps started dropping. It's now nice and cool and with low humidity, it FEELS like fall.

Thrilling.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2006, 01:22:42 PM »

Our local film critic gave JESUS CAMP three stars out of four. His sad reflection on the organization was that nowhere during the film's running time was their ever any mention of loving one's fellow man or reaching out a hand to comfort those in need.

Seems like the folks behind the camp were strictly interested in changing others to meet their mold of what "Christians" ought to be, no matter what it took to make the change.

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2006, 01:24:19 PM »

Waiting on the mail to see if my DVDs would arrive (they didn't), I popped in a GREY'S ANATOMY disc from the Season 2 boxed set and was instantly swept back into the plot of last season where George was saved by a pigeon when a man fell five stories and landed almost on top of him.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2006, 01:26:10 PM »

FInsing that episode and my lunch, I then began clearing the DVR of last night's shows. I began with SMALLVILLE, out introduction to the Green Arrow, and Clark gaining Super Breath.

I have to say that the Dolby Digital sound used to simulate his first deliberate use of this super power was one of the more awesome sound effects I've heard on network TV in quite some time.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2006, 01:28:29 PM »

Next came a charming and lovely MY NAME IS EARL as Earl and Randy spend the episode in a village of circus freaks and learn to value them as people and not as oddities.

Joy, on the other hand, struggled with her court-appointed lawyer played by Marlee Matlin. In her usual graceless way, Joy couldn't trust being represented by someone even slightly different from her.

A funny and poignant episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2006, 01:30:46 PM »

THE OFFICE was back on form, too, in a funny outing with Dwight going behind Michael's back to win the manager's position in the office. Michael's sense of betrayal and then his attempt to trap Dwight into a confession was very funny.

Meanwhile the ever-adorable Jim in Stanford is dutifully playing CALL TO DUTY with his officemates.

No wonder Duynder-Mifflin is losing customers to Staples.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2006, 01:32:08 PM »

I had noticed that one of the HBO channels was showing THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT, so I had the DVR pick it up overnight. Sad to say, after the opening credits, the film switched to a pan and scan nightmare so I deleted it.

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2006, 01:34:53 PM »

Instead, I put in the laserdisc of 101 DALMATIANS and watched the first side of it. ENjoyable as always even though I had the TV crop it to 1.78:1. Even though the laserdisc cover says the original ratio was 1.33:1, the film plays perfectly in the other ratio. I'm not convinced that it was shown at 1.33:1.

Wonder when Disney gives it the Platinum treatment next year if it will still package it at 1.33:1.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2006, 01:39:17 PM »

In today's "I told you so" department, here's the news release on NBC's KIDNAPPED:

"NBC making like the CW and reshuffling its schedule less than a month into the new season, moving Kidnapped from Wednesday at 10 p.m. to Saturday at 9 p.m., ensuring the drama a slow, painful ratings death for its remaining 13 episodes. "

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2006, 01:39:44 PM »

In other network news, CBS has canceled its Tuesday night show SMITH.

jhvw

« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2006, 01:47:55 PM »

Hello all. Taking a breather from all the action of NYC. Actually, Cillaliz is sleeping in the bed next to me. Good time to pop in some bjork and just relax. Going to see Wicked toinght, should be fun.

I had the best time with all the HHW people last night. You are all so nice! Getting to go out with some of the cast of Drowsy Chaperone and stand on a broadway stage is truely unforgettable. Much thanks to those who made it possible. You guys are all just so great.

Not sure if I'll be going to any of "those" places tonight. After a wonderful walking tour with DR Jose yesterday my legs are pretty sore, and a night in isn't a bad thing necessarily. But who knows, the mood may strike and I might go. Would be alot more fun if I had someone to go with though. I don't really want to take Cillaliz out to one of those.

Anyway, I think I'll take a cue from cilla and nap while we have the time. Thanks to all you HHW people who have made this trip so memorable for me. It's been truely amazing. I love the city, I'm so sad I have to go back to Missouri. Ah well, I still have 2 more days here so we won't think about that. Well, hope you all have a good day and evening!

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2006, 01:55:37 PM »

One more TV note:

HEROES is the first new series of the season to be renewed for a full season order of episodes.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2006, 02:36:41 PM »

If the Brain has its deserved success, then bk can go lot shopping;

The LA TIMES describes it thus:der Brucer

Looks like a landslide waiting to happen during the next El Nino.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up