Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A GAZELLE IN A GARTER BELT  (Read 27769 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:A GAZELLE IN A GARTER BELT
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2006, 02:40:38 PM »

The demographic for The Townhouse skews toward the "older" side, at least it did the last I heard.

You're right, JHWV does appear older than 23. What surprised me though was, he's

[size=8]TALL[/size]

The way his picture was shot he looks to be less tall. Not that there's anything wrong with being tall (for those of you on the site who are taller than me, and that's most of you).

Well....?  Does he have big feet, too?

;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2006, 02:45:37 PM »

PS - My post makes it look like Jesus Camp has something to do with JMK's birthday. Not! It just came to mind as I was writing and I wanted to get it down before I forgot.

Well I've been insisting for years (millenia, actually, but that's another story) that I'm the real Messiah, but so far no one has become my....acolyte.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2006, 02:45:53 PM »

Where the frell is TCB?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2006, 02:50:14 PM »

What a busy and yet pleasant little day this is.  I shipped some stuff, jogged, picked up packages, and done no writing, other than e-mails.  The good news is I think we're within a day or two of having an engineer for the Emily and Alice recording, so that's a big load off my mind.

Cillaliz

« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2006, 03:00:13 PM »

I'm awake. Actually I didn't nap long. It was an early morning. Peter was very nice, Edisaraus.  I enjoyed meeting him and we had a great conversation.  Jhvw slept in and he had much more energy than I did today. We did have a good day, though and now must be off to see WICKED.

Ron.....size 11

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2006, 03:01:31 PM »

Aw, c'mon, someone had to go for that pun!

TRUST ME - JMK will not disappoint.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2006, 03:02:21 PM »

Off to do that most dreaded of Friday chores - mopping the kitchen floor. Then on to TV/DVDs for the evening.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2006, 03:03:24 PM »

And for some reason, der Brucer decided to get the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Maybe because his lenses weren't focusing clearly and he thought it was the original!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2006, 03:05:16 PM »

Time to get ready for work.

...because there is NO WAY I'm walking to work in this rain!

Well, Gene Kelly managed quite nicely!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2006, 03:14:17 PM »

...and also replaced what the electrician called our "bordello lights" with more modern sconces.

Do the sconces blend in with the flocked velvet wall-paper, the red satin covered chaise lounge, and the garish Louis IV commonde (which some would call "commodious").

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2006, 03:24:24 PM »

In other network news, CBS has canceled its Tuesday night show SMITH.

I didn't even know they had a Tuesday night show called SMITH!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2006, 03:34:23 PM »

Dakota, thanks for that library of congress link. Looks like hours of fun.

You're Welcome Rodz... I really like that site. I play in it every once in a while. IT is neat listening to the different clips and I have made references to it in some papers.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2006, 03:41:34 PM »

I hear that Jesus Camp is a must-see docu.

I am actually familiar with the camp. The Fargo Theatre recently premiered it. Interesting in the aspect that the camp was creating and nurturing Christian warriors. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against the faith but the fanaticism and fundamentalism is what concerns me.

I have been wary commenting on it for I do not want to offend anyone's religious sensibilities.  I went with DF Jon, who is a Communications professor and he specailizes in organized communication and rhetoric.  He wanted to see it.

It was great to be back in Canada -

I am glad to read that you had a splendid time in Canada. The receptions sound interesting.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2006, 03:47:43 PM »

Interesting avatar derBrucer...

I am going to put up a new one shortly... Need to get in the seasonal spirit... Autumn!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2006, 03:48:49 PM »

I was reading in the Journal of Popular Culture last night about a tv show called Fay. I read it was quite controversial back in the 1970s.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2006, 04:04:05 PM »

Actually, I *do* have one for you. I've been looking for a movie for a few years now called "Cry Onion". It stars Franco Nero, but the voice is dubbed by someone doing a Jimmy Stewart impersonation. It's a Spanish film...kind of a parody of spaghetti westerns...with onions!

AHA - EUREKA - (what a bitch!)

DVDGO

It's a Spanish release:

DVD Title:    Los locos del oro negro
EAN:    8431797109829
Picture format:    1.58:1 non-anamorphic widescreen PAL    

Sountrack(s):    Spanish DD 2.0    
Running Time:    1:27:04    
Subtitles:    None    
Extras:    Chapter selections (6 chapters)    
   Ficha Técnica    
   Clip from Ramrod (1947). 4:3, length 3:21.
Clip from Bad Man's River. Non-anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen, length 1:50.   
Details:    DVD release date: 15th June 2006
Layers: single-sided/single-layered
Case: Keep case   
Notes:    Seems to be cut. Atleast opening scene before credits is missing (unless it has been placed somewhere else).   

The Spaghetti Western Database offers:

Alternate titles
El Cibollero | Il Cipollaro | Cry, Onion! | Los Locos del oro negro (Spain) | Spaghetti Western | The Smell of Onion | Zwiebel-Jack räumt auf (Germany)

Wildwest Productions specializes in bringing Sphagetti Westernss to DVD - and they have an EMail contact link you could use if you are intereted in waiting for an English dub.

Can I play my Etude for four hands, now?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2006, 04:05:22 PM »

Interesting avatar derBrucer...

Getting in touch with my "inner child".

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2006, 04:06:31 PM »

Forgot to mention the sweet e-mail I got from a gal today.  She was interested in the history of the site, because her late father happened to be named Guy Haines.  I wrote her and she's a very sweet lady and she said the site cheered her up - she wanted to buy some haines products but couldn't seem to find them, so I sent her the direct link to that page, where it appears they can still be ordered (on the site, simply click on our home page on the Nudie Musical icon - all our products are there).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2006, 04:33:09 PM »

I happened to pick up the new Little Mermaid DVD today.  Reading the rather idiotic and completely anal review on a certain DVD site, and the sheep following said "reviewer" in agreement, I will tell you that doing a direct comparison with the previous release, the new DVD is just fine - a nice, colorful, anamorphic transfer with none of the softness they're complaining about other than what was intended by the filmmakers.  And while it's regretful that Disney didn't include the original mix, the new one is also just fine (the older was a bit smoother to my ears).  If you read this guy's "review" and see how he goes on about the size of his screen and the screen lengths he sits away from it and all this crap, you just scratch your head and wonder how people like that have devolved into these pedantic armchair know-it-alls - amateurs who, prior to DVD, knew nothing about anything, and people who were probably four when The Little Mermaid originally came out.   Worse, of course, are the sheep who immediately say "Curse Disney, I'm not buying this!"

Well, don't buy it, nitwits.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2006, 04:45:59 PM »

Can I play my Etude for four hands, now?

der Brucer

"May[/i] I play my Etude for four hands, now?"

Yes, you may.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2006, 04:50:40 PM »

I was reading in the Journal of Popular Culture last night about a tv show called Fay. I read it was quite controversial back in the 1970s.

Particularly it's once black-listed, award nominated star - Lee Grant.

Wikipedia reports:
Grant made her film debut in the movie version of Detective Story and received her first Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress nomination, and won the Best Actress Award at the Cannes Film Festival.

Called before the House Un-American Activities Committee to testify against her husband, the playwright Arnold Manoff, the father of her only child, her daughter, actress Dinah Manoff, Grant refused to testify and was ultimately blacklisted. She continued to work in theater and resumed her film career in the early 1960s, and also appeared in the television series Peyton Place, for which she won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Drama.

She received Academy Award nominations for The Landlord (1970), and Voyage of the Damned (1977). She won an Oscar for Shampoo (1975). She has also directed several documentary films, including Down and Out in America (1986) which won the Academy Award for Documentary Feature. In recent years she has directed a series of Intimate Portrait episodes (for Lifetime Television) that celebrate a diverse range of accomplished women.

She appeared as a cunning lawyer/murderess on an episode of Columbo. She also had her own sitcom, a series entitled Fay (1975), but it was not successful. Grant was vocal in assigning blame for the failure of the series, which was about the travails of a mature, sexually active woman, which may have turned off some viewers.

Grant also guest starred on Empty Nest, a TV series in which her daughter Dinah Manoff was a regular.

Her other film roles include:

In the Heat of the Night (1967)
Valley of the Dolls (1967)
The Landlord (1970)
Plaza Suite (1971)
Portnoy's Complaint (1972)
Airport '77 (1977)
Damien: Omen II (1978)
When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder? (1979)
Teachers (1984)
Defending Your Life (1992)
Mulholland Drive (2001)

Gee - a documentarian link!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2006, 04:55:04 PM »

"May[/i] I play my Etude for four hands, now?"

Yes, you may.

;)

Maybe you say I may, but 'till some one hops on the bench beside me, I can not. :(

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2006, 05:01:33 PM »

I didn't even know they had a Tuesday night show called SMITH!

You'd like Simon Baker without his shirt!

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2006, 05:06:00 PM »

Happy Happy Birthday, DR JMK!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2006, 05:09:11 PM »

A lovely day here -- an early morning storm which was very LOUD and poured a lot of rain. "They" say this should break our 100F weather. Yippee!

Tomorrow a bunch of us are heading up to the mountains to see Arizona's autumn leaves (all aspen, so all yellow). Maybe I'll have a photo or two to share.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2006, 05:18:51 PM »

Tomorrow a bunch of us are heading up to the mountains to see Arizona's autumn leaves (all aspen, so all yellow). Maybe I'll have a photo or two to share.

Like this?

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #176 on: October 06, 2006, 05:19:45 PM »

Maybe you say I may, but 'till some one hops on the bench beside me, I can not. :(

der Brucer

Well...there is that. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2006, 05:23:21 PM »

Last year it looked like this:

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2006, 05:27:25 PM »

That is one thing I love about fall is the color of the leaves. WE had really nice color this year despite the drought.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2006, 05:27:47 PM »

George, thanks for the link.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up