Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A DIFFERENT DRUMMER  (Read 21071 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:A DIFFERENT DRUMMER
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2004, 03:17:37 PM »

I'd love to see a movie made about the child actor "Bobbitt," who appears in the story of that name in Thomas Tryon's "Crowned Heads."
Hear Hear!  And I want the excerpts from the films he made as a child to be filmed in the original Technicolor process, for authenticity's sake.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2004, 03:18:46 PM »

Page four dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]-----------------------------CONGA---------------------------[/move]

(It's a pun.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2004, 03:33:30 PM »

Writing Vibes for Panni:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~[/move]

td

• td
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2004, 03:36:29 PM »

Did a little more thinking, and don't recall these ones being mentioned (well, except for Ms. Badham):

Billy Chapin, Sally Jane Bruce - THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER
Mary Badhan - TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
Alikina Mann, James Bentley - THE OTHERS
Richard Beaumont - SCROOGE's Tiny Tim
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2004, 03:39:22 PM »

Totally forgot one of the greatest child performances ever: Jackie Coogan in The Kid.  Brilliant.

Thanks to all for keeping the home fries burning.  I'm dealing with a lot of disgusting decision-making right now.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2004, 03:45:59 PM »

TOD:

Auntie Mame's Jan Handzlik as Young Patrick.  Hey, he managed to hold his own against Roz Russell in her greatest impersonation of a drag queen!

Jurassic Park's Ariana Richards, as Lex.  A likeable young woman, holding her own as the "not as cute" older sibling in a Spielberg film.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2004, 03:48:47 PM »

The driver of the delivery truck at work today was two hours late.  We had lots of fun catching up with unloading and sorting out the merchandise.  (We also had lots of fun standing around waiting for him to arrive, I lied.)

The delivery driver himself was frightening.  He was wearing his hair in a mullett...and had a Friar Tuck bald spot.  NOT a good combination.

:-\

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2004, 03:52:48 PM »

Der Brucer found a smallish pork loin roast for dinner tonight, should be enough for just the two of us.  I need to check and see if we have any rosemary around; if not, thyme will be nice too, and that's growing in the garden.  A few sprigs tied to the roast should add some nice flavor.

Also, fresh sweet corn, on the cob, of course.  But what to do for potatoes...decisions, decisions.  (I do have some red rose taters that I could quarter and roast, maybe with some green bell peppers for color.)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2004, 03:59:27 PM »

Der Brucer found a smallish pork loin roast for dinner tonight.

Where'd he find it?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2004, 04:07:33 PM »

I am making ribs tonight!

And fries.  And ice cream.

Don't tell the low carb police! :)

(Or the kosher cops.)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2004, 04:07:53 PM »

Thanks or the vibes, SWW.

Robin

« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2004, 04:22:30 PM »

The single most remarkable child performance I have ever seen belongs to the 4-year-old Miss Victorie Thivisol in a French movie called Ponette.  It's a movie that deals with young Ponette's loss of her mother; it's an often heart-wrenching film, but certainly not a bleak one, since it's about accepting loss, not wallowing in it.  

There's a scene in which Ponette's well-meaning auntie tells her that little girls aren't supposed to be so sad...and she looks up and says "Yes.  I am."  

Even more impressive...she plays the entire role in French!  Heck, I can't even order from a French menu, and here's this little girl, speaking French for the entire length of the movie.  That's talent, my friends.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2004, 04:25:42 PM »

Michael and I had a lite dinner at a local bistro called Joe's Garage.  I had a Greek lamb-burger with sundried tomatoes and feta cheese, with a side order of mixed greens and (rare for me!) an actual martini, with an olive and everything.  It was all quite yummy.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2004, 04:31:04 PM »

Thanks for the reminder, Robin, of films French, for I had forgotten Pascal Lamorisse as the little boy in The Red Balloon.

(I just learned over at IMDB that a spoof has been made, called The Revenge of The Red Balloon.  Forty years later, the balloon returns to Paris, to revenge itself upon the little boys (now middle aged) who popped it in the first film!  The idea sounds good, no idea about the execution.)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2004, 04:33:59 PM »

Jrand I like the slinky. :D

Jane

« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2004, 04:43:45 PM »

Bruce it sounds as if you could use some good decision making vibes.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Jane

« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2004, 04:47:22 PM »

Those weren't big enough.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2004, 04:48:26 PM »

Thank you, Jane.  The bigger the better.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2004, 05:14:16 PM »

Thanks for the reminder, Robin, of films French, for I had forgotten Pascal Lamorisse as the little boy in The Red Balloon.

(I just learned over at IMDB that a spoof has been made, called The Revenge of The Red Balloon.  Forty years later, the balloon returns to Paris, to revenge itself upon the little boys (now middle aged) who popped it in the first film!  The idea sounds good, no idea about the execution.)

Maybe Skinny and Fatty:  Middle Age Crazy will be next.

The Red Balloon and Skinny and Fatty are the only movies I can recall that were shown on the Children's Film Festival (hosted by Kukula, Fran and Ollie.)  Can anyone name any others?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2004, 05:17:33 PM »

The single most remarkable child performance I have ever seen belongs to the 4-year-old Miss Victorie Thivisol in a French movie called Ponette.  

Yes! I totally forgot about that film. (How could I??) She WAS totally remarkable. Which brings up an interesting question... At such a tender age, is it a "performance" or does the child simply believe the moment. (Which I suppose is the definition of great acting - so we've come full circle.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 05:28:53 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2004, 05:33:31 PM »

Off to the Cinegrill.  Keep the home fries burning - at the rate we're going we surely will not reach 50,000 posts by Friday, as things are a bit slow around these here parts.  Then again, surprises are always waiting around the corner.

td

• td
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2004, 06:07:45 PM »

. . .and speaking of red balloons, how could I forget Rufus Deakin in AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON?!?!
Here's a kid who manages to steal an entire scene from a totally naked David "I'm a Pepper" Naughton!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2004, 06:17:51 PM »

Chris and Martin Udvarnoky -- "The Other"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Robin

« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2004, 06:28:46 PM »

I'm bidding on a book (Kane of Old Mars, by Michael Moorcock) on eBay.  Wish me good luck...!

Robin

« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2004, 06:31:03 PM »

Howsabout Hayley Mills in Pollyanna?

Love that movie!

Robin

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2004, 06:32:22 PM »

And one for Mahler.

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2004, 06:46:51 PM »

I watched a remarkable Iranian film a couple of years ago with remarkable performances from children (I have a feeling the title mentioned  shoes). The child in "Central Station" (Brazil) was also wonderful. I think DR Panni is "spot on" with her "in the moment" comment. There are also some great performances in the Australian film "Rabbit Proof Fence".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Robin

« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2004, 06:51:19 PM »

Dang it!   I lost!!!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2004, 07:27:13 PM »

I've been trying for hours to think of the title of this movie - and finally got it: The Fallen Idol, directed by Carol Reed (from the story by Graham Greene), with a wonderful performance by a child actor named Bobby Henrey. (According to the IMDB, he hasn't appeared in anything else.) The story is told from the child's point of view, and the youngster's performance is unforgettable - even if the movie's title isn't.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 07:30:14 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Kerry

« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2004, 07:50:21 PM »

Oh how I wish Iwere there with you and DR Sandra and DR Laura to see DP Jason.  That's DP for Dear Performer.  Send Jason a big hug for me.  A hug for all of you!  S and L tried to talk me into going with them.  I was tempted.  Oh yes, I was tempted.  The timing was not right, though and I knew it.  It's not wise to go against something you feel is not right.
 I may regret not going ( I do now at the thought of all of you there).  I hope there's another chance.

Meanwhile, while it"s still light out, I've been picking peaches from the trees in the yard.  Peak harvesting time is probably still a few days off, but there are still some wonderful jewels to be had.  And juicy too! I've already stained two t-shirts.  That doesn't include the t-shirts stained from the nectarines and first batch of peaches (another variety) from a few weeks ago.

I'll be back with some kid performances later.

One of them would have to be Dean Stockwell in almost anything, but particularly in "The Boy with Green Hair" and even in "Anchors Aweigh."
I like boat races.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up